Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Yankees GM meeting notes thread

Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 10:10 am
James Wagner
@ByJamesWagner
·
13h
Brian Cashman said he’s had several conversations with the agents of Didi Gregorius and Brett Gardner. He also said the Yankees want to shore up their starting rotation and that they have interest in Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg, among others.


Mark Feinsand
@Feinsand
·
13h
Asked of his interest in Cole and/or Strasburg, Brian Cashman said: “Of course were going to talk to Strasburg, we’ll talk to Cole, we’ll talk to the higher-end guys, clearly. We’ll also talk about some surprise guys, I’m sure … Anybody would have interest in players like that.”
Do we have any  
DC Gmen Fan : 11/12/2019 10:19 am : link
solid pitching prospects due to come up?
.  
Kyle in NY : 11/12/2019 10:27 am : link
Josh Bard out as bench coach. Carlos Mendoza promoted from quality control and infield coach. I was a little bit surprised to see that. Obviously we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but wasn't Bard Boone's personal choice to come with him as BC? Off a 103 win season that caught me by surprise. Not a big deal though.

Cashman's comments on Cole, Strasburg, and the luxury tax were refreshing yesterday.
We have a bunch...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 10:27 am : link
the bulk of our better full-season prospects are RHSPs. Deivi Garcia, Clarke Schmidt, Roansey Contreras, Yajure, Luis Medina, Luis Gil, Nick Nelson, Albert Abreu. But prospects are suspects, pitching prospects most of all, and they can't count on any of them coming up and pitching like Walker Buehler.
Didi Gregorius...  
M.S. : 11/12/2019 10:28 am : link


...I believe he brings a lot to this team beyond his play on the field and his at-bats.

The same, of course, can be said of Brett Gardner.

Would love to have them both back.

I'm hoping at least one is back.

If it's just one, it'll probably be Gardner.
RE: .  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 10:29 am : link
In comment 14676979 Kyle in NY said:
Quote:
Josh Bard out as bench coach. Carlos Mendoza promoted from quality control and infield coach. I was a little bit surprised to see that. Obviously we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but wasn't Bard Boone's personal choice to come with him as BC? Off a 103 win season that caught me by surprise. Not a big deal though.

Cashman's comments on Cole, Strasburg, and the luxury tax were refreshing yesterday.


Cashman needs to follow through though. Are they "in" on Cole or are they in on Cole at 5/$100, because I think just about every team in the game would be in on him if the pricetag is low enough (which it won't be).
For sure  
Kyle in NY : 11/12/2019 10:32 am : link
Correct me if I'm wrong though, but didn't he downplay interest in Harper/Machado pretty much from the jump last offseason?
Any interest in Det Boyd?  
superspynyg : 11/12/2019 10:35 am : link
Lefty with good stuff, fell off in the second half but with that team who didn’t. Might be able to get him for less this. The trade deadline.

Detroit wants a impact bat would Clint Frazier and two mid range prospects get it done?
eh, it's been so long since the Yankees were a player for any elite FA  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 10:35 am : link
that I'm gonna have to see it to believe it. Remember the "fully operational Death Star" comment from last year? Didn't mean anything in the end.
no, no interest in Boyd  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 10:37 am : link
He's been mediocre to terrible his entire career, other than the first half of last season. Led the league in homers allowed (39) with Comerica as his home park - I'd be terrified to see how many he'd allow in YS.
RE: .  
Del Shofner : 11/12/2019 10:42 am : link
In comment 14676979 Kyle in NY said:
Quote:
Josh Bard out as bench coach. Carlos Mendoza promoted from quality control and infield coach. I was a little bit surprised to see that. Obviously we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but wasn't Bard Boone's personal choice to come with him as BC? Off a 103 win season that caught me by surprise. Not a big deal though.

Cashman's comments on Cole, Strasburg, and the luxury tax were refreshing yesterday.


Per the Post, Bard leaving was not a surprise. He wanted a job closer to his home in Colorado.

Bard - ( New Window )
I know we've talked about this  
Matt in SGS : 11/12/2019 10:45 am : link
and the Yankees are not run the way the George did it in the past, but I have a feeling the Yankees are going to be very aggressive this offseason because they know they are in their championship window right now. I think they will land one of Cole or Strausburg and will start to trade off some of their other prospects who are on the cusp of losing value for other pieces in the pen.

If the Yankees are able to land Cole or Strausburg (particularly Cole because he would take him from Houston), they are the prohibitive favorites to win the World Series.
Didn't know that  
Kyle in NY : 11/12/2019 10:46 am : link
Thanks!
They probably need to ship out Happ...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 10:47 am : link
without eating too much $ if they're going to make Cole or Stras happen without going over the second tier. Alternatively, they could look to extend Tanaka at a lower AAV.
With Didi likely out the door  
Kyle in NY : 11/12/2019 10:52 am : link
I'm curious to see what the Indians do with Lindor. Are they shopping him now, two seasons out from free agency? And do we have any chance at compiling a prospect package that could interest Cleveland?

It's likely a pipe dream, but the Indians owner all but came out and said they won't be able to re-sign him, so maybe they try to cash in on him now. I would pay whatever it takes in prospects to get that guy. Absolute stud.
Lindor's ask starts with Gleyber...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 10:59 am : link
and frankly four years of Gleyber is probably more valuable than two of Lindor. If they're going to splurge, why would it be on a middle IF?
Im  
Bill2 : 11/12/2019 11:01 am : link
with Greg.

I think its pure ROI to talk up the prices for others.

Often, when the recent era Yankees have signed big...its been stealth until the end game
RE: With Didi likely out the door  
bigbluehoya : 11/12/2019 11:05 am : link
In comment 14677053 Kyle in NY said:
Quote:
I'm curious to see what the Indians do with Lindor. Are they shopping him now, two seasons out from free agency? And do we have any chance at compiling a prospect package that could interest Cleveland?

It's likely a pipe dream, but the Indians owner all but came out and said they won't be able to re-sign him, so maybe they try to cash in on him now. I would pay whatever it takes in prospects to get that guy. Absolute stud.


I view Lindor as unlikely. But, I could definitely see him ending up with LAD, and if he does, something with Seager to NYY would be attractive.
They HAVE to make a decision on Frazier  
Dnew15 : 11/12/2019 11:06 am : link
is he a part of the puzzle or is he a trade piece. They've got to decide or he loses all value.
RE: Lindor's ask starts with Gleyber...  
Kyle in NY : 11/12/2019 11:08 am : link
In comment 14677074 Dunedin81 said:
Quote:
and frankly four years of Gleyber is probably more valuable than two of Lindor. If they're going to splurge, why would it be on a middle IF?


I'm looking to pair Lindor with Gleyber up the middle. I agree that Cleveland asks for Gleyber right off the bat. I'm not doing that, agreed there. Gleyber, Judge, and Severino are off the table for me. Everyone else would be in play in those potential trade talks, prospect or ML.

I don't see why middle IF wouldn't be a spot where they splurge. Gleyber's ability to play SS certainly gives them a solid back-up plan at the position and having DJ back for another season provides versatility. But if Lindor is on the table, we should be in the discussions.
RE: RE: With Didi likely out the door  
Kyle in NY : 11/12/2019 11:13 am : link
In comment 14677091 bigbluehoya said:
Quote:
In comment 14677053 Kyle in NY said:


Quote:


I'm curious to see what the Indians do with Lindor. Are they shopping him now, two seasons out from free agency? And do we have any chance at compiling a prospect package that could interest Cleveland?

It's likely a pipe dream, but the Indians owner all but came out and said they won't be able to re-sign him, so maybe they try to cash in on him now. I would pay whatever it takes in prospects to get that guy. Absolute stud.



I view Lindor as unlikely. But, I could definitely see him ending up with LAD, and if he does, something with Seager to NYY would be attractive.


Interesting thought. LAD certainly has the more realistic prospect/young ML package they could offer for Lindor but they've shot down all comers on Lux to this point. Seager with two more years of control as well. That'd be quite a three teamer. Certainly unlikely, but fun to think about.
And on that note  
Kyle in NY : 11/12/2019 11:17 am : link
I do think a big trade is more likely than a big deal for Cole/Strasburg. They've proven themselves far more willing to sacrifice prospects for team control at reasonable salaries than simply paying a big contract in free agency. They'll be in the mix for the free agents, but whether it's starting pitching or position players, I think the big additions likely come via trade.
Additional Pitching Prospect  
Mark in ATL : 11/12/2019 11:18 am : link
I think the Yankees are still high on 24 year old Mike King. Not high velocity but excellent control. Would have made impact this past year if not recovering from injury most of the year.
It's about marginal improvement...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 11:24 am : link
Gleyber/DJ combined for 9-10 WAR, depending on the metric. Only Judge and Gardy were in that weight class, and if Gleyber's D takes a step forward he could be higher than that. Lindor is a 4-8 WAR player. Put the trade chips into a position of clear need - starting pitching, for one, but also 1B - and the improvement could be 2-3 wins easily.
Would love to see an addition  
dune69 : 11/12/2019 11:31 am : link
of one healthy stud starting pitcher and healthy is where Strasburg scares me a little. Also, one strong relief pitcher, could be re-signing Betances. Cashman may also pull a rabbit or two out of his hat...see DJ and Gio.

However, I agree with Greg that it is unlikely that Hal/Cash go for the $250+ mil starting pitcher. Those days are probably behind us.
RE: It's about marginal improvement...  
Kyle in NY : 11/12/2019 12:02 pm : link
In comment 14677124 Dunedin81 said:
Quote:
Gleyber/DJ combined for 9-10 WAR, depending on the metric. Only Judge and Gardy were in that weight class, and if Gleyber's D takes a step forward he could be higher than that. Lindor is a 4-8 WAR player. Put the trade chips into a position of clear need - starting pitching, for one, but also 1B - and the improvement could be 2-3 wins easily.


Looking beyond just this season though, DJ is a free agent after next season. No guarantee he's here long term. He's also a potential full-time 1B option in 2020. I respect your opinion of course, but I see middle infield as a need this offseason.
Now that we have a finite budget, we can’t afford to spend at a  
Jim in Hoboken : 11/12/2019 1:29 pm : link
position just because a good deal is available. Like a Stanton trade. Don’t even talk to Didi, and only bring Gardner back if absolutely necessary. While starting pitching is a need, we have to spend responsibly now.

I’d rather see what the new pitching dept can do for Loaisiga, Montgomery, and maybe even Garcia and King than investing 250M + on a pitcher. Who knows, maybe the low A studs will be knocking on the door sooner rather than later.
I just don't get this thought process at all...  
Tesla : 11/12/2019 2:11 pm : link
Quote:
I’d rather see what the new pitching dept can do for Loaisiga, Montgomery, and maybe even Garcia and King than investing 250M + on a pitcher. Who knows, maybe the low A studs will be knocking on the door sooner rather than later.


There is no salary cap in baseball - only (mostly financial) penalties for going over luxury tax. Why wouldn't any Yankee fan want us to go out and spent a ton to get Gerrit Cole???

Good question Tesla  
arniefez : 11/12/2019 2:15 pm : link
most "fans" are sheep and think somehow it's their money not the lucky sperm billionaire who inherited it.
we are in win-now mode  
RasputinPrime : 11/12/2019 2:17 pm : link
and our core are in their prime. It's time to spend and spend big.

Go after Cole and Strasburg. Make sure to sign one of them.

Make a play for Lindor.

Get rid of Happ and find a way to lead the league in SGP (starting games played).
The Yankees haven't raised payroll in 17 years.  
Tesla : 11/12/2019 2:19 pm : link
Seventeen years!!!! Plus they built a new cash cow stadium during that time, and ticket prices have probably at least tripled over that time period.

Fans should be rioting over the Yankees refusal to put more $$$ back into the team.
I'm not going to link it since it's from the Athletic  
arniefez : 11/12/2019 2:22 pm : link
and behind a pay wall but there's an article today about the Astros stealing signs with a lot of details. Apparently the assistant GM who was fired for berating the female beat writers is quite angry at his former team and flipping and Mike Fiers is too and to his credit putting his name on it.

Quote:
The Astros’ set-up in 2017 was not overly complicated. A feed from a camera in center field, fixed on the opposing catcher’s signs, was hooked up to a television monitor that was placed on a wall steps from the team’s home dugout at Minute Maid Park, in the tunnel that runs between the dugout and the clubhouse. Team employees and players would watch the screen during the game.

When the onlookers believed they had decoded the signs, the expected pitch would be communicated via a loud noise — specifically, banging on a trash can, which sat in the tunnel. Normally, the bangs would mean a breaking ball or off-speed pitch was coming.


There's a lot more but I think that's all I can post here.
Pretty sure  
Kyle in NY : 11/12/2019 2:26 pm : link
they did raise payroll last season after getting under the first level of the tax the year before. Like it or not, every team in the league is treating the luxury tax as a salary cap. The Red Sox are getting ready to shop Mookie Betts because of it. Dodgers, Cubs, all the other big market teams do the same
RE: Pretty sure  
Tesla : 11/12/2019 2:29 pm : link
In comment 14677464 Kyle in NY said:
Quote:
they did raise payroll last season after getting under the first level of the tax the year before. Like it or not, every team in the league is treating the luxury tax as a salary cap. The Red Sox are getting ready to shop Mookie Betts because of it. Dodgers, Cubs, all the other big market teams do the same


Yankees payroll was essentially the same in 2019 as it was in 2002. It went up from 2018 because they cut it dramatically that year to get under the luxury tax.
The non-financial penalties are not inconsequential...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 2:31 pm : link
Sure, end up like the Red Sox where you've got holes to fill and fuck-nothing on the farm to fill it with, and that's after just a single year of those penalties.
I would prefer  
mattyblue : 11/12/2019 2:43 pm : link
to not bring Gardner back. He’s a quality player and he’s been a great Yankee, I just think they need to move on. I’d rather see Frazier play until he brings up his value or busts. Gardner is probably worth the money he would get paid but I just think they would be better served using that money elsewhere. Stanton and his contract might make that a little more difficult though.

Lindor is an incredible player but it seems like it would definitely take too much to get him and while we would be a better team with him, do we really improve that much with him? It doesn’t seem like that’s an area of need all that much. Also wouldn’t Gleyber at short and DJ at second be a better situation than resigning Didi? Obviously this past year shows that you need depth, but 99% of the time any team that suffers the amount of injuries we just dealt with would never get anywhere near as far as we did.

Obviously I’d rather see the Yankees roll the dice on paying Cole or Strasburg no matter the cost but that doesn’t seem likely anymore. We have decent pitching and I think guys like Tanaka or even Paxton to an extent are better than they get credit for. I’d love still love to see Cole on the Yankees, but I expect Cashman to go after players like DJ and Gio and a bunch of bullpen guys. My biggest fear is that Cashman lets how a lot of his acquisitions worked out last year go to his head and think he can do it again. It’s probably a stupid fear but I can’t help but sort of expect him to sign a bunch of mid tier guys and expect them to over perform/strike gold. That’s probably negativity carried over from the Giants though.
RE: The non-financial penalties are not inconsequential...  
Tesla : 11/12/2019 2:50 pm : link
In comment 14677471 Dunedin81 said:
Quote:
Sure, end up like the Red Sox where you've got holes to fill and fuck-nothing on the farm to fill it with, and that's after just a single year of those penalties.


Your'e one of (if own the) best posters on the Yankee threads, but that's just an awful take.

The Red Sox penalty for going over the tax and winning the 2018 World Series was to move back 10 spots in the draft. You can't seriously be arguing that's why their farm system sucks?

I'm sure most Yankees fans would be happy to trade a WS in 2020 for moving back 10 spots in the draft the following year.
That's just one part of their problems...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 2:54 pm : link
but the notion that "it's just 10 picks" or "it's just a couple draft picks and some pool money" (for signing free agents) is short-sighted. NYY is a well-run team that has made it to the ALCS twice in three years. I trust them to balance short term needs with the aim of staying competitive over the next several years. Teams that have failed to balance those imperatives have had a short stay at the top.
Klapisch thinks this is a feint...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 3:23 pm : link
and that they're going to pursue Wheeler or MadBum. Wheeler makes some sense, he's trending in the right direction and he may have some ceiling left. MadBum is trending in the opposite direction, he's a fly ball pitcher with a homerun problem used to playing half his games in a pitcher's park. That would be a terrible investment, and that's not even accounting for the potential personality mismatch with him and NYC.
Re: Astros cheating....  
Tesla : 11/12/2019 3:30 pm : link
here's a pretty amazing video with absolute proof that they were cheating. As soon as the catcher calls for a change up you can hear two loud bangs coming from near Astros dugout. Caught red-handed.
Astros are a bunch of damn cheaters - ( New Window )
RE: That's just one part of their problems...  
RasputinPrime : 11/12/2019 3:42 pm : link
In comment 14677542 Dunedin81 said:
Quote:
but the notion that "it's just 10 picks" or "it's just a couple draft picks and some pool money" (for signing free agents) is short-sighted. NYY is a well-run team that has made it to the ALCS twice in three years. I trust them to balance short term needs with the aim of staying competitive over the next several years. Teams that have failed to balance those imperatives have had a short stay at the top.


Agreed. However, they made some really poor trades for starters. The issue was their inability to develop starters of their own - much like ours to a degree.
RE: Klapisch thinks this is a feint...  
dune69 : 11/12/2019 3:43 pm : link
In comment 14677587 Dunedin81 said:
Quote:
and that they're going to pursue Wheeler or MadBum. Wheeler makes some sense, he's trending in the right direction and he may have some ceiling left. MadBum is trending in the opposite direction, he's a fly ball pitcher with a homerun problem used to playing half his games in a pitcher's park. That would be a terrible investment, and that's not even accounting for the potential personality mismatch with him and NYC.


Hope Klapisch is wrong.
I'm sure everyone does it...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 3:43 pm : link
but the Astros organization has few friends at this point. Part of it is envy, but part of it is a sense that they've toed the line between seeking out competitive advantages and outright cheating for awhile now.
JFC.....don't want either Wheeler or Bumgarner  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 4:23 pm : link
Wheeler is the eternal tease who ultimately ends up being right around league average, and he's not young anymore. Bumgarner in YS would be a disaster.

FWIW, Kay says he doesn't think they will sign either Cole or Strasburg.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: That's just one part of their problems...  
HomerJones45 : 11/12/2019 4:33 pm : link
In comment 14677542 Dunedin81 said:
Quote:
but the notion that "it's just 10 picks" or "it's just a couple draft picks and some pool money" (for signing free agents) is short-sighted. NYY is a well-run team that has made it to the ALCS twice in three years. I trust them to balance short term needs with the aim of staying competitive over the next several years. Teams that have failed to balance those imperatives have had a short stay at the top.
And for that they get a participation trophy. First decade since Babe Ruth got to NY without a WS championship.

This is not a small market team; if you think you are close, you bite the bullet and go get the piece or two you need to go over the top. There is no "window". The window opens and closes every season. You never know when the players you count on get hurt (see Judge), or have a down year (see Betts) so you have to go for it. Do the Yankees win it this year if they had made the Greinke deal or Bauer or made offered a deal with the Nats for Strasburg(who were sucking pond water at one point this season and may have been enticed to deal)?
I'd be alright with Wheeler...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 4:34 pm : link
if he's a 3.80-4.30 ERA guy who throws the odd gem I think you can take it and run with it. The Mets were a below average fielding team, so there's a decent chance an average or potentially better (if healthy) Yankees team could improve on those numbers (his 2019 BABIP of .311 was a little high for him though not egregiously so). His BB rate is trending in the right direction. He'll get overpaid, but so will everyone on the open market.
But Homer that's just it...  
Dunedin81 : 11/12/2019 4:36 pm : link
even if you get that out of Greinke, and you may not in pinstripes, does that put you over the top? Does Bauer? Not with what he did after the trade. Viewed at the time of the trade, the Gray trade was a good deal from an NYY perspective, as was the Paxton deal. One turned into a disaster and the other hopefully not. We can parse through and try to find the common threads in success and failure with big money signs and marquee trades, but it's at best an educated guess.
I'm a Wheeler fan.  
bigbluehoya : 11/12/2019 4:37 pm : link
Fully in favor of signing if Cole doesn't happen.
Wheeler looks impressive with that big fastball and those Ks  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 4:43 pm : link
But his actual production just isn't anything special.
RE: Wheeler looks impressive with that big fastball and those Ks  
BigBlueShock : 11/12/2019 4:54 pm : link
In comment 14677742 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
But his actual production just isn't anything special.

Pitching for the Mets probably has something to do with that. They’ve had mostly terrible defense and until this season, mostly bad offenses. Oh, and inept managers.

I think Wheeler will flourish with a change of scenery
Didn't seem to hamper deGrom, did it?  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 4:56 pm : link
Who was the last pitcher to come to the Yankees and be better than he was for his previous team? Aaron Small?
RE: Didn't seem to hamper deGrom, did it?  
BigBlueShock : 11/12/2019 4:58 pm : link
In comment 14677763 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Who was the last pitcher to come to the Yankees and be better than he was for his previous team? Aaron Small?

Nice comparison. deGrom is only the best pitcher in baseball.
well, Wheeler boosters are always claiming that he's secretly so elite  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 4:59 pm : link
Who should I compare him to?
RE: well, Wheeler boosters are always claiming that he's secretly so elite  
BigBlueShock : 11/12/2019 5:07 pm : link
In comment 14677769 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Who should I compare him to?

I’ve never heard one person on this board say he was elite. That’s just you making shit up.
Sure thing  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 5:11 pm : link
I wasn't told by one of the resident FIP fetishists that his underlying numbers are actually awesome.
Yankees just brought in a  
section125 : 11/12/2019 5:19 pm : link
super analytical pitching coach and changed their pitching department for better analytics. Wheeler has good stuff, very good stuff and so did Cole when he left Pittsburgh for Houston.
Now I don't know if the new guy and the staff can do for Wheeler what Houston did for Cole(and Verlander), but maybe they can.

Tesla and Homer - the Yanks have a good system, even after all the trades because they were smart with their trades and protected their draft slots. While I would love to have Cole or Strasburg, but you have to remember that Judge, Sanchez, Torres eventually will be getting paid, sooner than later.
You make decent points that the Yanks should be using their monetary muscle to get the top players. But they could end up with a $300+ mill payroll and who knows what happens to their draft and IFA monet down the road.
maybe they can, maybe they can't  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 5:22 pm : link
I'm excited about the new Driveline era of Yankees pitching instruction too but, until we see the results, I'm going to be fairly sanguine about it.
Mets  
DanMetroMan : 11/12/2019 5:22 pm : link
fan who hopes they keep Wheeler (know they won't). He's AJ Burnett-esque (and a bit of a prick/dumbass) but the best is yet to come.. at least for the next 2-3 seasons.
RE: maybe they can, maybe they can't  
section125 : 11/12/2019 5:29 pm : link
In comment 14677799 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
I'm excited about the new Driveline era of Yankees pitching instruction too but, until we see the results, I'm going to be fairly sanguine about it.


Eh, just threw it out there...I'm certain that they hired these guys to get someone like Wheeler(who is underperforming) and get the best of him.
Judge chiming in on the Astros cheating...  
JPinstripes : 11/12/2019 6:23 pm : link
Aaron Judge
@TheJudge44
·
4m
Wait... what....?
Quote Tweet

SportsCenter
@SportsCenter
· 9m
Former Houston Astros pitcher Mike Fiers told The Athletic that the team used a camera in center field during their championship season in 2017. https://es.pn/2NGjjON
Of course Baldelli get MOY over Booney  
Stu11 : 11/12/2019 6:32 pm : link
Why give it to the manager that handed the other his lunch all year(I know PS doesn't count). And the small market little engine that could arguement is BS when half our payroll spends the year on the IL.
RE: Of course Baldelli get MOY over Booney  
section125 : 11/12/2019 7:12 pm : link
In comment 14677862 Stu11 said:
Quote:
Why give it to the manager that handed the other his lunch all year(I know PS doesn't count). And the small market little engine that could argument is BS when half our payroll spends the year on the IL.


There was no doubt in my mind that Baldelli would win - just because he wasn't managing the Yankees...he is worthy because he did a great job with the Twins. But did he manage better than Boone with 30 starters on IL(well you know the story.
RE: RE: Of course Baldelli get MOY over Booney  
Stu11 : 11/12/2019 7:56 pm : link
In comment 14677885 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 14677862 Stu11 said:


Quote:


Why give it to the manager that handed the other his lunch all year(I know PS doesn't count). And the small market little engine that could argument is BS when half our payroll spends the year on the IL.



There was no doubt in my mind that Baldelli would win - just because he wasn't managing the Yankees...he is worthy because he did a great job with the Twins. But did he manage better than Boone with 30 starters8 on IL(well you know the story.

Absolutely. In my life I can't remember a Yankee winning a post season award that was tightly contested. Ever.
Altuve's 2017 MVP award is now illegitimate  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 7:59 pm : link
Judge is the real MLB as far as I'm concerned. He should have won in the first damned place.
RE: Altuve's 2017 MVP award is now illegitimate  
BigBlueShock : 11/12/2019 8:09 pm : link
In comment 14677919 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Judge is the real MLB as far as I'm concerned. He should have won in the first damned place.

Damned right. Not only should they force that cheating scum to hand over the award, they should make him do it on national television
Wonder if the Yanks will again pursue Luis Castillo  
xman : 11/12/2019 8:27 pm : link
from the Reds
section125  
Tesla : 11/12/2019 9:48 pm : link
Quote:
Tesla and Homer - the Yanks have a good system, even after all the trades because they were smart with their trades and protected their draft slots.


That's just not true. The Yankees farm system was not based on the success of their first round picks. It was based on guys they signed internationally, mid-round picks that developed and guys they traded for. In fact with one notable exception the Yankees have gotten nothing from their first round picks:

Take a look at their first round picks going back to 1995.

2018 Anthony Seigler catcher Cartersville high school
2017 Clark Schmidt RHP Chaminade College Prep
2016 Blake Rutherford OF Chaminade College Prep (West Hills, Calif.) 18
2015 James Kaprielian RHP UCLA 16
2015 Kyle Holder SS San Diego 30
2013 Aaron Judge OF Fresno State 32
2013 Ian Clarkin LHP Madison High School, San Diego, Calif. 33
2013 Eric Jagielo 3B Notre Dame 26
2012 Ty Hensley RHP Edmond Santa Fe (Okla.) High School 30
2010 Cito Culver SS Irondequoit HS, Rochester, N.Y. 32
2009 Slade Heathcott OF Texas HS, Texarkana, Texas 29
2008 Gerrit Cole RHP Orange (Calif.) Lutheran H.S. 28
2007 Andrew Brackman RHP North Carolina State 30
2006 Ian Kennedy RHP Southern California 21
2005 Carl Henry SS Putnam City HS (OK) 17
2004 Philip Hughes RHP Foothill HS, Santa Ana, CA 23
2003 Eric Duncan 3B Seton Hall Prep (NJ) 27
2001 John-Ford Griffin OF Florida State U 23
2000 David Parrish C Yorba Linda, CA 28
1999 David Walling RHP U. of Arkansas 27
1998 Andrew Brown OF Richmond, IN 24
1997 *-Tyrell Godwin OF Elizabethtown, NC 24
1996 Eric Milton LHP U of Maryland 20
1995 Shea Morenz OF U of Texas 27

RE: I know we've talked about this  
djm : 11/12/2019 9:58 pm : link
In comment 14677025 Matt in SGS said:
Quote:
and the Yankees are not run the way the George did it in the past, but I have a feeling the Yankees are going to be very aggressive this offseason because they know they are in their championship window right now. I think they will land one of Cole or Strausburg and will start to trade off some of their other prospects who are on the cusp of losing value for other pieces in the pen.

If the Yankees are able to land Cole or Strausburg (particularly Cole because he would take him from Houston), they are the prohibitive favorites to win the World Series.


My thoughts as well.
Aaron Boone didn't finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on either of the ballots  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 11/12/2019 10:13 pm : link
from the Tampa Bay writers.

In fact, he only got 2 of a possible 8 first place votes from writers of the other AL East teams.
Tampa shouldn't even have a team anymore  
Greg from LI : 11/12/2019 10:14 pm : link
.
RE: section125  
section125 : 11/13/2019 6:58 am : link
In comment 14678055 Tesla said:
Quote:


Quote:


Tesla and Homer - the Yanks have a good system, even after all the trades because they were smart with their trades and protected their draft slots.



That's just not true. The Yankees farm system was not based on the success of their first round picks. It was based on guys they signed internationally, mid-round picks that developed and guys they traded for. In fact with one notable exception the Yankees have gotten nothing from their first round picks:

Take a look at their first round picks going back to 1995.

2018 Anthony Seigler catcher Cartersville high school
2017 Clark Schmidt RHP Chaminade College Prep
2016 Blake Rutherford OF Chaminade College Prep (West Hills, Calif.) 18
2015 James Kaprielian RHP UCLA 16
2015 Kyle Holder SS San Diego 30
2013 Aaron Judge OF Fresno State 32
2013 Ian Clarkin LHP Madison High School, San Diego, Calif. 33
2013 Eric Jagielo 3B Notre Dame 26
2012 Ty Hensley RHP Edmond Santa Fe (Okla.) High School 30
2010 Cito Culver SS Irondequoit HS, Rochester, N.Y. 32
2009 Slade Heathcott OF Texas HS, Texarkana, Texas 29
2008 Gerrit Cole RHP Orange (Calif.) Lutheran H.S. 28
2007 Andrew Brackman RHP North Carolina State 30
2006 Ian Kennedy RHP Southern California 21
2005 Carl Henry SS Putnam City HS (OK) 17
2004 Philip Hughes RHP Foothill HS, Santa Ana, CA 23


Thanks for that. Now, how many of those guys were traded for players that were either MLB players or played part in trades that brought players that played on the Yankees.

As to the Yanks, Judge, Kennedy, Hughes played for the Yanks. Kaprielian, Clarkin, Jagielo and Rutherford were pieces in trades. Schmidt and Siegler are still in the system with a future.

And those are the ones I know about. And for whatever reason some of the pitchers did not develop because of a weakness in the system. Some teams are better at developing players(Rays, Dodgers, Braves). I think Cash is working hard to improve the system.
But I'm not dismissing your point, it has some merit. Bird in hand is worth two or three in the farm system .

RE: RE: section125  
Milton : 11/13/2019 8:06 am : link
In comment 14678230 section125 said:
Quote:
Bird in hand is worth two or three in the farm system .
Bird hasn't worked out as hoped, but injuries are unpredictable.
We've had this conversation before...  
Dunedin81 : 11/13/2019 8:45 am : link
their track record with first rounders is pretty bad. Only a handful have made it to the bigs and in the last ten years only one (Judge) has done anything once he got there. But their overall track record with draft picks is pretty solid, comparable to or better than teams picking higher with more picks and pool money. And that's the other thing worth remembering about first rounders, the pool money they bring with them is very useful. 2013, the year of three first rounders, brought Judge of course, but it also brought Caleb Smith, Dustin Fowler, Nestor Cortes, Nick Rumbelow, Tyler Webb, and Tyler Wade as big leaguers. Even if nobody else makes the bigs (and a handful of other guys have at least a fighting chance), seven big leaguers from one draft is a very good outcome.
RE: RE: RE: section125  
section125 : 11/13/2019 8:49 am : link
In comment 14678271 Milton said:
Quote:
In comment 14678230 section125 said:


Quote:


Bird in hand is worth two or three in the farm system .


Bird hasn't worked out as hoped, but injuries are unpredictable.


Milton, it is a saying, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush....
Not sure how much of this you can see...  
Dunedin81 : 11/13/2019 1:31 pm : link
but BA's NYY Top 10 is always a good read. A few surprises as to who is in (Peraza, for one) and who isn't (Florial in particular) but the scouting reports are impressive.
Link - ( New Window )
The chat, predictably, goes well beyond the Top 10  
Dunedin81 : 11/13/2019 1:33 pm : link
...
Link - ( New Window )
And this is MLB pipeline (Callis) on the state of the farm  
Dunedin81 : 11/13/2019 2:46 pm : link
...
Link - ( New Window )
What’s interesting is that Norris mentioned they hired a former Astros  
Jim in Hoboken : 11/13/2019 4:18 pm : link
hitting coach last year. I guess he didn’t bring the trash can and video camera with him. Most of the IFA’s had a bad year last year.

Heard some of Cashman’s comment on Fatso’s show, lots of touch and feelie stuff, and doesn’t sound like he intends on making big splashes.
RE: What’s interesting is that Norris mentioned they hired a former Astros  
bigbluehoya : 11/13/2019 4:27 pm : link
In comment 14679155 Jim in Hoboken said:
Quote:
hitting coach last year. I guess he didn’t bring the trash can and video camera with him. Most of the IFA’s had a bad year last year.

Heard some of Cashman’s comment on Fatso’s show, lots of touch and feelie stuff, and doesn’t sound like he intends on making big splashes.


I got a different impression. He sounded more to me like he was reluctantly ready to say goodbye to guys like Didi and Gardner, which tells me that he plans on accepting some austerity in filling out the lineup in order to make an earnest attempt at Cole.

Just my read.
Jim  
Dunedin81 : 11/13/2019 4:39 pm : link
That was discussed, and it seems to have paid SOME dividends (Canaan Smith, for one). But exactly what it means for hitting development is as much educated guess as anything else. Virtually no hitters had in-season promotions last year (contra pitchers, where several advanced one or even two levels). Presumably that's a function of the hitting coordinator, but who knows?
RE: Jim  
bigbluehoya : 11/13/2019 4:53 pm : link
In comment 14679179 Dunedin81 said:
Quote:
That was discussed, and it seems to have paid SOME dividends (Canaan Smith, for one). But exactly what it means for hitting development is as much educated guess as anything else. Virtually no hitters had in-season promotions last year (contra pitchers, where several advanced one or even two levels). Presumably that's a function of the hitting coordinator, but who knows?


I think it's also a function of the fact that the hitters in the system are almost exclusively J2 kids that they challenge with some (appropriately, IMV) aggressive assignments. These are really young kids, and 2018 could easily be just a bump in the road, non-linear progression, etc.
Definitely the ambitious assignments were a factor, but it seems as if  
Jim in Hoboken : 11/13/2019 5:16 pm : link
Norris was using new hitting instructions as an excuse for a lot of the hitters.

Granted, Dune is more of the glass is half full guy on the system whereas I am more of where is the fucking glass guy....

It’s mighty interesting they’ve made a lot of changes to the coaching staff. Maybe they should look at Oppenheimer and the scouts instead.

Who are in the BA top 10 for us BTW?
Yanks haven't had  
Carson53 : 11/13/2019 5:20 pm : link
Manager of the Year since Torre won in 1998. (125 wins total that year).
I actually thought Cash was going to win this year.
I'm a glass half full on pitching  
Dunedin81 : 11/13/2019 5:53 pm : link
I've complained about hitting development (or at least pointed out the stark difference in outcomes) for a couple years. A lot of stagnation, even among some of the elite guys like Florial but especially among middling or carrying tool guys.
Even if Cash is chasing  
section125 : 11/13/2019 5:59 pm : link
Cole, I doubt he shows enthusiasm. I just don't see it happening as much as I'd like it.
i just dont see this era of the Yankees  
Bill2 : 11/13/2019 7:02 pm : link
depending on a few players

I think balance and tons of depth are what we are going to see for the next five years.

Balance as in contact and power hitters. Fastball and variety pitchers in the starting ranks. Lots more emphasis on defensively capable players.

And patience. Lots of Yankee "names" at all levels need to re prove in late spring and up until the deadline.

I don't think we see this years Death Star until July
Back to the Corner