Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

I hope they keep the coaching staff in place...

Tark10 : 12/2/2019 9:21 am
I say give them one more year to show significant improvement. The cap won't be the problem next year. Add a couple free agents and hopefully they will draft well. They have a QB, RB, 2 linemen, 2 receivers...Defense, potentially 3 1st round defensive lineman, two outside linebackers and a developing young secondary. More change will create more chaos. This team has been heading downhill for years. It will take more then two seasons to turn it around.
Zero chance  
cokeduplt : 12/2/2019 9:23 am : link
Shurmur turns this around. Get rid of him
So Pat, you really  
jvm52106 : 12/2/2019 9:24 am : link
think you should get another year here?
What's the definition of insanity?  
figgy2989 : 12/2/2019 9:25 am : link
.
Shurmur and his coaches are one factor in the equation  
JonC : 12/2/2019 9:28 am : link
and I agree this will take more than two years to turnaround.

But, on gameday these coaches are consistently poor in performance and outcoached. I can't look the other way on this, and trust the leadership won't either.

The other problem is what to do with DG. I'm hoping he cites his health and "steps down".
What have they done to deserve it  
jeff57 : 12/2/2019 9:30 am : link
?
Mike Shula ?  
morrison40 : 12/2/2019 9:30 am : link
WTF does he do ?????
As bad as this team is,  
an_idol_mind : 12/2/2019 9:33 am : link
I don't think they are 2-10 talent-wise. Some decent coaching could have this team in the running for a weak division right now.

I'm of the mind that giving Shurmur another year is guaranteeing another wasted season. I've been wrong on this stuff before, but I don't see any evidence that this coaching staff has the ability to turn the team around, even with an infusion of talent.
GTFO with this  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 12/2/2019 9:34 am : link
'They need another year' nonsense.
Sadly  
GiantEgo : 12/2/2019 9:34 am : link
I think the OP has his finger on the Mara pulse. It's more likely than not that they all come back except for Bettcher.
RE: Shurmur and his coaches are one factor in the equation  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 12/2/2019 9:34 am : link
In comment 14699243 JonC said:
Quote:
and I agree this will take more than two years to turnaround.

But, on gameday these coaches are consistently poor in performance and outcoached. I can't look the other way on this, and trust the leadership won't either.

The other problem is what to do with DG. I'm hoping he cites his health and "steps down".


I had this thought as well. Can Shurmur,and DG steps down paving the way for a new regime.

Unfortunately even in that scenario Mara isn't going to change the power structure and give somebody full control.
I cannot believe  
dlauster : 12/2/2019 9:41 am : link
that any player on this team has trust in the current coaching staff.

You can see it in their complete lack of discipline and by their confusion in assignments.

How can a coach turn a team around if none of his players believes that he can?
Can't agree with OP at all.  
NBGblue : 12/2/2019 9:43 am : link
For example, how does this team have NO running game at all?

Granted, the OL is not good, but it's not Christ Awful either; and with a 'generational' running back like Barkley, how can there be no running game at all? A good coaching staff would find plays to get Barkley some room to run. Something besides running him between the tackles all the time. This is a bad, bad, coaching staff.

And don't get me started on the defense. Even with a lack a talent, good coaching gets the most out of it's players. That's not happening with this staff.
i truly hope  
mpinmaine : 12/2/2019 9:48 am : link
shurmur is toast
Tark10 if you watched the complete game yesterday  
Dinger : 12/2/2019 9:48 am : link
and a few of their previous games and can STILL come away with this sentiment, you are a MUCH more patient man than I am. After the Packers basically walked down the field on their first drive I was ready to run Betcher out of town on a rail.
2 OUTSIDE BACKERS?  
moaltch : 12/2/2019 9:50 am : link
They have none. And no inside backers, unless Connelly turns his 2 game performance into something worthwhile. All are well below avg.
You bring back the current staff and brain trust ...  
FStubbs : 12/2/2019 9:54 am : link
... and this team goes 0-16 next year. Chase Young or not.
If we saw improvement I could support that argument  
gmen4ever : 12/2/2019 9:54 am : link
I heard Papa say this morning that watching the Giants is like ground hog day. Games can be close at the half or into the 2nd half, then we just blow up, give up big plays on defense, fail to convert 3rd or 4th and short, turn the ball over. We are a very poorly coached team. Defense is not improved at all. At a minimum Betcher needs to go as do the secondary coaches. The OL is regressing so those coaches need to go. And Shurmur is doing nothing in terms of personnel on his staff and he is accountable for that. Hence, he has to go as well.
I agree  
stoneman : 12/2/2019 10:05 am : link
Its year 2 of a 5 year plan. They have been competitive every game including the Pats, with a rookie QB. I for one, am enjoying seeing Jones and the offense make progress.

Not sure Shurmur is the best man for the job, but year 2 is not the time to start yet another re-build plan. I bet both DG/PS get at least 2020 to make good.
I do have a fair degree of patience.  
Tark10 : 12/2/2019 10:07 am : link
Although my wife may not agree. I've watched every Giant game this year, including the exhibition games. I'm 65 and have been a fan since 1971. I think I've seen every Giant game since I acquired Direct TV in 1998. I just don't want to see this organization have constant coaching changes. These games are difficult to watch, but did any of you really think the Giants would win this game? The points made on this thread are valid. The frustration level is high and the attendance at the stadium is low. I still say give it one more year. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will this Giant team.
no offense to OP  
LG in NYC : 12/2/2019 10:09 am : link
but it actually amazes me that any fan would want this coaching staff to remain on any longer than absolutely necessary.

we have seen not 1 thing to suggest this staff is the right group to lead us out of the abyss. Nothing.
I agreed with the OP up until  
Rudy5757 : 12/2/2019 10:37 am : link
a few weeks ago. I'm just not seeing a coach who can adjust well enough. He is making stupid mistakes game in and game out. Seems like he listens to the media and reacts to it with on the field calls which is what Fassel did after the SF disaster. This cant happen.

The offensive play calling has been offensive. Just plain bad play calling from someone who is supposed to be good at creative O. maybe the master plan is to lose out and get the #1 pick but I watch the games and just cant understand why we use our personnel the way we do. Barkley up the middle over and over is just plain stupid.

The rookies and 1st year players do not seem to be improving either. thats the whole makeup of this team. Now Jenkins is calling out the coaches for the way they call the game and its just a situation getting worse by the game. they have to get rid of Shurmur, we will not see the type of progress that we need while he is running the show.
the whole staff needs to go  
Lines of Scrimmage : 12/2/2019 11:11 am : link
Bring them back and the first sign of adversity next year the players have their excuse already. I was fine with PS as coach but I also felt he needed to win quickly. He didn't and it is time to go. Keeping him and his record is telling the players you don't want to win imo.
28 games  
Lines of Scrimmage : 12/2/2019 11:15 am : link
for PS as the Head Coach. The question is how many games can you say "Wow, they out-coached that team." There are no signs that you keep him...none I see.
My hope had been we can Shurmur but keep the staff and system  
SGMen : 12/2/2019 11:25 am : link
But who do we promote to HC? Bettcher has never been a HC and his handling of the defense has been suspect as well.

My gut is telling me now that we likely change all the staff.

Would anyone be shocked if DG and the coaches are all fired and a new GM and new staff brought in a few days after the season ends? Meaning the owners are already putting together a new staffing plan!!

Just no way Shurmur survives this. No chance.
That's like a boxer saying, let him keep punching me in the face  
SterlingArcher : 12/2/2019 11:42 am : link
and I can knock him out in the 10th!
If we do that,  
Josh in the City : 12/2/2019 11:45 am : link
then the carrots represent another season...
RE: My hope had been we can Shurmur but keep the staff and system  
cokeduplt : 12/2/2019 12:22 pm : link
In comment 14699574 SGMen said:
Quote:
But who do we promote to HC? Bettcher has never been a HC and his handling of the defense has been suspect as well.

My gut is telling me now that we likely change all the staff.

Would anyone be shocked if DG and the coaches are all fired and a new GM and new staff brought in a few days after the season ends? Meaning the owners are already putting together a new staffing plan!!

Just no way Shurmur survives this. No chance.


Wtf, why would u want to keep the staff? What have they done?
Both stay or both go  
NewBlue : 12/2/2019 12:29 pm : link
And frankly if Chris Mara keeps his job I don't think any of it matters.
Why only give them one year  
arniefez : 12/2/2019 12:47 pm : link
let them stay the entire 5 years of the Shurmur contract. Let's see how fast he can get to a 100 losses.
RE: Both stay or both go  
NYDCBlue : 12/3/2019 9:53 am : link
In comment 14699698 NewBlue said:
Quote:
And frankly if Chris Mara keeps his job I don't think any of it matters.


Yup. You hit the nail on the head. I've said it before, if Chris Mara is as good at his job as the Mara's think he is, then he will have no trouble landing on his feet when they mutually agree to part ways.... And if not, if he can't find a new job, perhaps that should serve as a lesson to John about nepotism....
RE: RE: Both stay or both go  
jestersdead : 12/3/2019 9:58 am : link
In comment 14700943 NYDCBlue said:
Quote:
In comment 14699698 NewBlue said:


Quote:


And frankly if Chris Mara keeps his job I don't think any of it matters.



Yup. You hit the nail on the head. I've said it before, if Chris Mara is as good at his job as the Mara's think he is, then he will have no trouble landing on his feet when they mutually agree to part ways.... And if not, if he can't find a new job, perhaps that should serve as a lesson to John about nepotism....

Does anyone on this board actually know what Chris Mara does and can provide a reason for him being terrible at his job? BBI loves to state nepotism but never anything else.

Also, Shurmur will be fired on 12/30. He's had 10+ weeks with Jones at QB to show the offensive improvement and hasn't. His roster isn't getting it done for him and his in game management is brutal
RE: RE: RE: Both stay or both go  
NYDCBlue : 12/3/2019 12:10 pm : link
In comment 14700947 jestersdead said:
Quote:
In comment 14700943 NYDCBlue said:


Quote:


In comment 14699698 NewBlue said:


Quote:


And frankly if Chris Mara keeps his job I don't think any of it matters.



Yup. You hit the nail on the head. I've said it before, if Chris Mara is as good at his job as the Mara's think he is, then he will have no trouble landing on his feet when they mutually agree to part ways.... And if not, if he can't find a new job, perhaps that should serve as a lesson to John about nepotism....


Does anyone on this board actually know what Chris Mara does and can provide a reason for him being terrible at his job? BBI loves to state nepotism but never anything else.

Also, Shurmur will be fired on 12/30. He's had 10+ weeks with Jones at QB to show the offensive improvement and hasn't. His roster isn't getting it done for him and his in game management is brutal


No clue, but his title makes him sound like he has an important role in picking players. His title is, "Senior Vice President of Player Personnel." Personnel is right in his tittle.
RE: I do have a fair degree of patience.  
5BowlsSoon : 12/3/2019 12:21 pm : link
In comment 14699380 Tark10 said:
Quote:
Although my wife may not agree. I've watched every Giant game this year, including the exhibition games. I'm 65 and have been a fan since 1971. I think I've seen every Giant game since I acquired Direct TV in 1998. I just don't want to see this organization have constant coaching changes. These games are difficult to watch, but did any of you really think the Giants would win this game? The points made on this thread are valid. The frustration level is high and the attendance at the stadium is low. I still say give it one more year. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will this Giant team.


Well Iím 65 and do not want to continue to see incompetence. Trust the many knowledgeable fans here, and Brian Baldinger, that the Giants coaches are clueless. We have to change until we get it right.
Tark10  
Anakim : 12/3/2019 12:34 pm : link
I'm going to be nice and just say that you're absolutely wrong in this. There is absolute NO and I mean NO justification to bring back Shurmur and this coaching staff. None. Zero. Nada.

"More change will create more chaos"


Honestly, how could it get any worse and any more unstable? What? We'll win no games instead of 2? Our players will openly rebel against a new coach? The franchise will fold? Please tell me how you think a new head coach will create more chaos.
'I hope they keep the coaching staff in place...'  
Torrag : 12/3/2019 1:36 pm : link
^^^^^

Gotta be Shurmur's wife or agent.
Back to the Corner