Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

The whole season is a huge W if it results in Chase Young

CY2020 : 12/2/2019 12:36 pm
If ultimately the 2019 season got us:

1) 14 games of practice for Jones, to prepare and get ready for the real games in 2020 and beyond

2) Chase Young for the next decade

3) The firing of Pat Shurmur

Then this is an extremely productive losing season.
Man..  
LawrenceTaylor56 : 12/2/2019 12:39 pm : link
all these losing seasons. Maybe one of them will be productive. We've become the Knicks.
If we get a competent GM  
Metnut : 12/2/2019 12:42 pm : link
then I could get on board with this. Young looks like a real difference maker.

Handing $60M of cap room to DG given his track record is a predictable disaster that we have to avoid.
RE: If we get a competent GM  
CY2020 : 12/2/2019 12:44 pm : link
In comment 14699722 Metnut said:
Quote:
then I could get on board with this. Young looks like a real difference maker.

Handing $60M of cap room to DG given his track record is a predictable disaster that we have to avoid.


No, the GM is fine. He'll use that money to sign guys like RT Jack Conklin, pass-rusher Yannick or Barrett, some ILBs.

No way the GM is fired after 2 seasons after inheriting a dumpster fire. Not how the Giants operate.
RE: RE: If we get a competent GM  
BleedBlue : 12/2/2019 1:00 pm : link
In comment 14699727 CY2020 said:
Quote:
In comment 14699722 Metnut said:


Quote:


then I could get on board with this. Young looks like a real difference maker.

Handing $60M of cap room to DG given his track record is a predictable disaster that we have to avoid.



No, the GM is fine. He'll use that money to sign guys like RT Jack Conklin, pass-rusher Yannick or Barrett, some ILBs.

No way the GM is fired after 2 seasons after inheriting a dumpster fire. Not how the Giants operate.



i agree. this roster was bad with no depth when he got here. you can still argue its bad, but we are very young in some key spots./

if you sign

conklin
schobert or littleton

resign
williams
golden

draft young
and heavy on OL

this would go a long way in revamping that defensive front
Have you seen DG's  
Metnut : 12/2/2019 1:06 pm : link
free agency moves? A disaster.

He hired this coach. You want to let him hire another? The rookie window on Barkley and Jones will be completely over by the time we move on from another coach if DG fucks up again.

Why not just hire a new GM and clean house? Does anyone think DG is the BEST possible GM available or that he's a long term solution for this team in the modern NFL?
RE: Have you seen DG's  
BleedBlue : 12/2/2019 1:11 pm : link
In comment 14699767 Metnut said:
Quote:
free agency moves? A disaster.

He hired this coach. You want to let him hire another? The rookie window on Barkley and Jones will be completely over by the time we move on from another coach if DG fucks up again.

Why not just hire a new GM and clean house? Does anyone think DG is the BEST possible GM available or that he's a long term solution for this team in the modern NFL?


i think youre fooling yourself if you think shurmur is DGs hire alone. Mara signs off on it. also, who else would you have hired? it was a pretty bad crop of guys.

This year you could go with the proven success guys

garrett
rivera

or the young college guy

rhule

Those three, i believe one of them will be our next head coach. ALL of them are much better than shurmur and all of them seem to be better than most of the crop when we hired shurmur
RE: Have you seen DG's  
CY2020 : 12/2/2019 1:22 pm : link
In comment 14699767 Metnut said:
Quote:
free agency moves? A disaster.

He hired this coach. You want to let him hire another? The rookie window on Barkley and Jones will be completely over by the time we move on from another coach if DG fucks up again.

Why not just hire a new GM and clean house? Does anyone think DG is the BEST possible GM available or that he's a long term solution for this team in the modern NFL?


Not quite.

Markus Golden was a good signing as was Golden Tate.
#2 pick in 1981  
jvm52106 : 12/2/2019 1:36 pm : link
Lawrence Taylor changed the team, the franchise and the entire fan base. If Chase Young can bring 1/2 of what LT did to this team, everything changes.

Think about what a player like this can mean across the board. The offense doesn't have to feel like it is do or die every seies. Coaches can stick with the run a bit knowing their defense will keep them in games and of course field position changes mightily as well...Young could be a massive game changer for the Giants!
RE: RE: Have you seen DG's  
santacruzom : 12/2/2019 1:37 pm : link
In comment 14699793 CY2020 said:
Quote:
In comment 14699767 Metnut said:


Quote:


free agency moves? A disaster.

He hired this coach. You want to let him hire another? The rookie window on Barkley and Jones will be completely over by the time we move on from another coach if DG fucks up again.

Why not just hire a new GM and clean house? Does anyone think DG is the BEST possible GM available or that he's a long term solution for this team in the modern NFL?



Not quite.

Markus Golden was a good signing as was Golden Tate.


I dunno... I see two scenarios with Markus:

-he leaves
-we overpay dramatically to prevent him from leaving

I don't see him playing for us next year under a contract that's commensurate with his value and production.
RE: RE: Have you seen DG's  
Nine-Tails : 12/2/2019 1:37 pm : link
In comment 14699793 CY2020 said:
Quote:
In comment 14699767 Metnut said:


Quote:


free agency moves? A disaster.

He hired this coach. You want to let him hire another? The rookie window on Barkley and Jones will be completely over by the time we move on from another coach if DG fucks up again.

Why not just hire a new GM and clean house? Does anyone think DG is the BEST possible GM available or that he's a long term solution for this team in the modern NFL?



Not quite.

Markus Golden was a good signing as was Golden Tate.


Golden Tate is just ok for now. He was suspended and although heís made some tough catches, heís not the same guy he was in Detroit, whether thatís him losing a step or the scheme not maximizing him, idk. Iíll give him another year hopefully with a better playcaller
We know most believe he can play 4-3 DE  
Giantz_comeback : 12/2/2019 1:42 pm : link
But how good can he be as a rush 3-4 OLB? Obviously with his freakish talent he can be good but will it be the best use of his skill set?

Does he have the ability like LT to cover at all too?
How does Young compare  
Rudy5757 : 12/2/2019 1:55 pm : link
to Bosa and some of teh recent pass rushers to come into the league recently? I am not a college watcher but would like to know how he compares to others. Is he the best in the last 5 years?

If not is the better scenario to trade down for a haul and rebuild the roster which we should have done with the Barkley pick
No it doesn't  
TommytheElephant : 12/2/2019 1:57 pm : link
We are looking at 2-14 in the fucking face.
There is nothing positive here.
We took a huge step back.

We have 8 NFL Championships to our name - achieve #9 and THAT is a "Huge W".
If they manage to get Young  
illmatic : 12/2/2019 2:01 pm : link
Plus all of the cap room they have and a new HC who would be an instant upgrade because he canít be any worse... they have the potential to turn things around fairly quickly. Focus on the OL and pass rush.

If they think Young is a better fit in a 4-3, I wouldnít be surprised to see us switch back to that this offseason. Weíll probably have a new DC too.
Until Giants find a few some linebackers / safeties  
Jimmy Googs : 12/2/2019 2:03 pm : link
that are worth a damn, it doesn't matter what kind of defense we play...
you guys think one player will turn this team around?  
ron mexico : 12/2/2019 2:04 pm : link
Saquon couldn't do it, why will Chase?
I always laughed at teams that tanked for high draft picks..  
penkap75 : 12/2/2019 2:09 pm : link
Now we have become one of them :(
RE: you guys think one player will turn this team around?  
giants#1 : 12/2/2019 2:11 pm : link
In comment 14699879 ron mexico said:
Quote:
Saquon couldn't do it, why will Chase?


It's not 1 guy. It's (hopefully) a combo of players (Barkley, Jones, Lawrence, Baker, Beal, etc) + better coaching.
Young will do a lot toward improving the defense  
Rjanyg : 12/2/2019 2:21 pm : link
We have no pass rush. It is exposing our young DB's and our below average LB's.

Adding another OLB, a LB and FS and this defense will improve greatly.

RE: you guys think one player will turn this team around?  
CY2020 : 12/2/2019 2:25 pm : link
In comment 14699879 ron mexico said:
Quote:
Saquon couldn't do it, why will Chase?



Free Agency

RT Jack Conklin
LB Joe Schobert
EDGE Yannick or Shaq Barrett

+ The return on Ryan Connelly
RE: We know most believe he can play 4-3 DE  
Eman11 : 12/2/2019 2:32 pm : link
In comment 14699830 Giantz_comeback said:
Quote:
But how good can he be as a rush 3-4 OLB? Obviously with his freakish talent he can be good but will it be the best use of his skill set?

Does he have the ability like LT to cover at all too?


So we go to a 4-3. IMO, Betcher is a goner like Shurmur and the new guys will be smart enough to put their players in the best positions to succeed. Especially their best player. If that means Young and a 4-3 D then so be it.

I like the idea of Young at one DE, a rotation of Lawrence, Tomlinson, Williams and Hill at DT and either Golden or signing the DE from the Jags at the other DE.

Ummm  
mdthedream : 12/2/2019 2:39 pm : link
LT played in a 3-4. We just put him on the edge or wherever and he rushed the QB most of the time. I don't understand why everyone says so we go to a 4-3?
This is what I mean with the DG criticism.  
mittenedman : 12/2/2019 2:41 pm : link
Do people really think he hired Pat Shurmur? Is that why he sucks? Or it was his decision alone to sign Nate Solder?

The Maras are the GM of this team and Gettleman is their front man. He has his say, but that's all it is.

Who the Head Coach of this team is - who the Quarterback of this team is - that's a Mara decision. And he's said so himself.
RE: RE: We know most believe he can play 4-3 DE  
CY2020 : 12/2/2019 2:50 pm : link
In comment 14699934 Eman11 said:
Quote:
In comment 14699830 Giantz_comeback said:


Quote:


But how good can he be as a rush 3-4 OLB? Obviously with his freakish talent he can be good but will it be the best use of his skill set?

Does he have the ability like LT to cover at all too?



So we go to a 4-3. IMO, Betcher is a goner like Shurmur and the new guys will be smart enough to put their players in the best positions to succeed. Especially their best player. If that means Young and a 4-3 D then so be it.

I like the idea of Young at one DE, a rotation of Lawrence, Tomlinson, Williams and Hill at DT and either Golden or signing the DE from the Jags at the other DE.


- Leonard Williams is purely a 3-4 DE. He is ineffective as a 4-3 DT. Trading for Williams means the Giants are committed to a 3-4.

- Tomlinson isn't getting resigned past his rookie deal. 2020 is his last year here. He doesn't factor in because he has no future here.

- Chase Young will still be dominant in a 3-4
RE: This is what I mean with the DG criticism.  
huygens20 : 12/2/2019 4:23 pm : link
In comment 14699947 mittenedman said:
Quote:
Do people really think he hired Pat Shurmur? Is that why he sucks? Or it was his decision alone to sign Nate Solder?

The Maras are the GM of this team and Gettleman is their front man. He has his say, but that's all it is.

Who the Head Coach of this team is - who the Quarterback of this team is - that's a Mara decision. And he's said so himself.



You think Mara cooked up Leonard Williams for #63 pick
Back to the Corner