Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Incarcerated Bob: OBJ wants out of Cleveland

Ned In Atlanta : 12/4/2019 9:00 am
Management to accommodate. Kill the source if you want but he was right on the Tate suspension. Gettleman gets killed but this trade was a great move. Got good value before it inevitably nose dived.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: The fact that Odell  
Jesse B : 12/4/2019 10:08 am : link
In comment 14702313 Metnut said:
Quote:
isn't doing well in CLE doesn't make the move good. We traded away an all-pro and the team predictably got worse. Lawrence and Pepperes seem OK, but have yet to really look like difference makers to me. CLE winning or losing doesn't matter to me. I want to see the Giants win.

Personally, I'd like to see Beckham finally play under a real coach. He put up elite numbers (and was the best player on a Giants team that somehow made the playoffs under Mcadoo) and then played a year under Schumur and a washed up Eli and now is playing for Kitchens.



He's still going to eclipse a 1,000 yards pretty easy, he's just not as great. Still be our best WR
RE: Incarcerated Bob  
micky : 12/4/2019 10:12 am : link
In comment 14702337 BigBlueDownTheShore said:
Quote:
He is not a trusted source, just a hack.

If Jay Glazer was the source then I would believe it.


This
RE: The fact that Odell  
CY2020 : 12/4/2019 10:17 am : link
In comment 14702313 Metnut said:
Quote:
isn't doing well in CLE doesn't make the move good. We traded away an all-pro and the team predictably got worse. Lawrence and Pepperes seem OK, but have yet to really look like difference makers to me. CLE winning or losing doesn't matter to me. I want to see the Giants win.

Personally, I'd like to see Beckham finally play under a real coach. He put up elite numbers (and was the best player on a Giants team that somehow made the playoffs under Mcadoo) and then played a year under Schumur and a washed up Eli and now is playing for Kitchens.



It was a phenomenal move.
RE: RE: He wants to be on the west coast  
TheMick7 : 12/4/2019 10:18 am : link
In comment 14702325 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 14702317 cjac said:


Quote:


i hope he ends up in San Diego


The Padres seem like a bad match



lol
I'll just leave this here  
Go Terps : 12/4/2019 10:31 am : link
.
Link - ( New Window )
When OBJ's  
Lines of Scrimmage : 12/4/2019 10:31 am : link
girlfriends (Kim and Josina) say this there is truth to this.

I think OBJ is just not the talent he was since the injury and is probably struggling with that reality.
RE: I'll just leave this here  
EricJ : 12/4/2019 10:35 am : link
In comment 14702467 Go Terps said:
Quote:
. Link - ( New Window )


What is the point of posting an archived thread about whether we sign OBJ?

By the way, this is the first post of yours in a very long time that was not negative. Congrats...
RE: RE: The fact that Odell  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 12/4/2019 10:49 am : link
In comment 14702412 jvm52106 said:
Quote:
In comment 14702313 Metnut said:


Quote:


isn't doing well in CLE doesn't make the move good. We traded away an all-pro and the team predictably got worse. Lawrence and Pepperes seem OK, but have yet to really look like difference makers to me. CLE winning or losing doesn't matter to me. I want to see the Giants win.

Personally, I'd like to see Beckham finally play under a real coach. He put up elite numbers (and was the best player on a Giants team that somehow made the playoffs under Mcadoo) and then played a year under Schumur and a washed up Eli and now is playing for Kitchens.




Again, false. OBJ had to be traded his presence here would probably make this team even worse. Why you ask? Because, with him we don't have the extra picks, we don't get the young defensive players and we are stuck getting below average FA's who would be one and done because we couldn't afford to sign high priced guys. OBJ trade gave us Peppers and picks. Take the picks away and Peppers away then we still need a safety without the money to be able to do it, we need corners, without the money to be able to do it.


LOL at this statement. I think he would be bracketed and we might actually see less 8 man boxes which would give Saquon more room to run, but yeah keep thinking that way. The running game is pretty could in Cleveland and itís probably has to do with having some talent at WR.
RE: The fact that Odell  
Gman11 : 12/4/2019 10:50 am : link
In comment 14702313 Metnut said:
Quote:
isn't doing well in CLE doesn't make the move good. We traded away an all-pro and the team predictably got worse. Lawrence and Pepperes seem OK, but have yet to really look like difference makers to me.


Beckham isn't a difference maker any more either.
RE: Not a great move by DG  
Gettledogman : 12/4/2019 10:50 am : link
In comment 14702341 gmenatlarge said:
Quote:
to sign him BEFORE he traded him resulting in a ton of dead cap room. DG is not much better than PS, buh-bye!


Schumur wanted to keep him
RE: RE: RE: He will end up  
Gettledogman : 12/4/2019 10:51 am : link
In comment 14702380 Matt in SGS said:
Quote:
In comment 14702303 Section331 said:


Quote:


In comment 14702294 Matt in SGS said:


Quote:


in New England or LA next year. You can question a lot of what Gettleman did, but getting rid of Odell wasn't one of them. I'm curious to see what the package back will be, but I'd guess it's less than they gave up to get him. Probably a first round pick is it.



I don't blame him for getting rid of Odell, but I do blame him for waiting until after resigning him to do it. Should have tagged Odell, and then looked to move him.



That was on Shurmur. If the reports were correct (and based on the body of evidence we've seen), Gettleman wanted to get rid of Odell as soon as he took over as GM and trade him. Shurmur asked the Giants to keep him and let him try to coach him up. To be honest, I don't blame Shurmur. He's looking at taking over a team and trading away one of his best players and an explosive playmaker at WR. Of course he is going to want to see what he could do. To be fair to Shurmur and not hamstring him right out the gate, Gettleman agrees and the Giants keep him.

Now, as for signing him. I think the Giants were somewhat backed into a corner. They knew his contract was an issue. There here hints of a holdout. So if you want to set up Shurmur for his best chance of success, you sign Odell and make him happy and see if Shurmur could make it work. And as we all saw, he couldn't.

Where I give Gettleman credit here was he quickly reversed course and traded him before his value dropped even more. I think the Antonio Brown drama in Pittsburgh was all the Giants needed to see.

It was a good faith effort on everyone's part to be honest. But once it become clear it was time to move on, they did. And Odell's people planted the LA stuff (remember the Rams rumors). And there were the San Francisco rumors too.

The one thing that I wonder on was how much better a deal the Niners would have offered. It sounded like they were offering picks in 2020, but the Giants wanted them in 2019. The Browns gave it to them and the Giants pulled the trigger. However, as mentioned above, to send him to the AFC and essentially Siberia in Cleveland probably wasn't lost on Mara/Gettleman and an added bonus.


excellent analysis
I think they'll get a late first or early second for Beckham. The  
Ira : 12/4/2019 10:55 am : link
Browns might have to eat some salary.
Dear OBJ  
NoPeanutz : 12/4/2019 11:06 am : link
If you want to be a certain market, don't sign a contract with a franchise in a market that is not that.
RE: RE: I'll just leave this here  
Kyle in NY : 12/4/2019 11:16 am : link
In comment 14702474 EricJ said:
Quote:
In comment 14702467 Go Terps said:


Quote:


. Link - ( New Window )



What is the point of posting an archived thread about whether we sign OBJ?

By the way, this is the first post of yours in a very long time that was not negative. Congrats...


Well he nailed it, and we were all wrong. It's a bit self-congratulatory for my liking, but it was pretty much spot on. Nothing changed with Odell.
I can see lots of teams going for him  
George : 12/4/2019 11:16 am : link
Dallas ($$$, no one gives a shit about personal behavior)
Arizona (Murray's got some game)
Miami (no state taxes, plus lots of power boats, plus Justin Bieber)
Cincinnati (ahhh no)
New England (desperate for weapons - see Josh Gordon, Antonio Brown)
J-E-T-S Jets Jets Je... ahhh no

Remember back to the opening of training camp  
Jay on the Island : 12/4/2019 11:23 am : link
NFL Network was live in Cleveland during their first day of practice and afterwards they did this big interview with Odell and Landry along with Kim Jones. What happened to all the love?


Link - ( New Window )
OBJ was sent to die in Cleveland  
Stan in LA : 12/4/2019 11:31 am : link
And that's what happened.

Bravo!
His salary including workout and roster bonuses will average  
Ira : 12/4/2019 11:40 am : link
something in the neighborhood of $15 m - maybe a little more.
Who?  
rocco8112 : 12/4/2019 11:41 am : link
He is a non entity now. Overrated value to a team. He should send Eli a thank you fruit basket for his glory days.
RE: I think they'll get a late first or early second for Beckham. The  
rocco8112 : 12/4/2019 11:41 am : link
In comment 14702500 Ira said:
Quote:
Browns might have to eat some salary.


late first?!? Now way
I think the increasing likelihood OBJ  
mfsd : 12/4/2019 11:46 am : link
would force his way out and to his preferred destination like Antonio Brown was a big reason why the Giants suddenly changed course and traded him
Beckham's still a very good player  
giants#1 : 12/4/2019 11:51 am : link
It's not a coincidence that Landry is having by far his best season averaging ~2 yards more per catch than any other season of his career. D's are still shading their coverage towards OBJ.

I do think OBJ lost a bit of his explosiveness after the injury and that's at least part of the reason he's not turning many 5 yard slants into big gains.

Mayfield's also regressed significantly since last year at least in part due to the poor OL play.

And the Rams aren't trading for OBJ. Cooks is signed through 2023 and they'd take a massive cap hit to cut/move him, plus they have Woods and Kupp as their top 2 WRs and Kupp will need to be locked up long term after 2020.
When the trade was made, I had said that Odell wanted  
GeofromNJ : 12/4/2019 11:59 am : link
to either stay in NY or be traded to FL/CA. Because he's double-teamed, he's essentially a decoy for Landry. Too bad DG traded next year's 3rd for Williams. He could have sent it to Cleveland along with a 4th for Odell.
Things for the Giants have certainly gotten better  
Dave in Hoboken : 12/4/2019 12:00 pm : link
since they removed the 'cancer' that was Beckham, eh?
He quit on the team  
Rong5611 : 12/4/2019 12:09 pm : link
DG did what he needed to do. It was the right move.
I still believe  
BigBluesman : 12/4/2019 5:00 pm : link
Odell came out of the gate with more talent for the WR position than any I have ever seen. But those injuries take their toll, and we all knew Cleveland had high shitshow potential this year. Really, he has only been on bad teams. It's hard to tell if he would be happy anywhere for long, but I think his peak years are passing him by regardless.
Time for a Lil wayne interview  
uther99 : 12/4/2019 8:44 pm : link
actually, OBJ is so irrelevant that he can't even get a lil wayne interview.
RE: RE: RE: He will end up  
jcn56 : 12/4/2019 8:52 pm : link
In comment 14702380 Matt in SGS said:
Quote:

However, as mentioned above, to send him to the AFC and essentially Siberia in Cleveland probably wasn't lost on Mara/Gettleman and an added bonus.


You know who else it wasn't lost on? Other players. Beckham is popular amongst his peers, don't think they overlook things like this.
RE: RE: RE: RE: He will end up  
LauderdaleMatty : 12/4/2019 10:35 pm : link
In comment 14703370 jcn56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14702380 Matt in SGS said:


Quote:



However, as mentioned above, to send him to the AFC and essentially Siberia in Cleveland probably wasn't lost on Mara/Gettleman and an added bonus.



You know who else it wasn't lost on? Other players. Beckham is popular amongst his peers, don't think they overlook things like this.


So what. A bunch of losers liked the cool kid and noticed when he was moved because he liked to snort coke and post on IG too much. He like ton of other players is a stat star who doesnít win shit. Lawrence can be a star and an All Pro. WRs are a dime a dozen. Happy s the trade. And his shitty year proves at least in this one case DG dumped the right guy.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: He will end up  
jcn56 : 12/4/2019 10:38 pm : link
In comment 14703505 LauderdaleMatty said:
Quote:

So what. A bunch of losers liked the cool kid and noticed when he was moved because he liked to snort coke and post on IG too much. He like ton of other players is a stat star who doesnít win shit. Lawrence can be a star and an All Pro. WRs are a dime a dozen. Happy s the trade. And his shitty year proves at least in this one case DG dumped the right guy.


In typical Gettleman fashion, he manages to break the 'broken clock is right twice a day' anecdote, seeing as he signed the guy to a huge contract before dealing him.

Meanwhile - the Giants inability to manage their players continues, with Dee Baker looking like he'd rather be anywhere but on the field on Sundays.

Lawrence an All-Pro? Maybe some day. A Pro Bowler? Maybe. Ever make an impact close to what OBJ did while he was here? Almost guaranteed not to be the case.
isn't what OBJ is more important than what he was?  
Eric on Li : 12/4/2019 10:44 pm : link
i've watched a lot of the browns this year and have him on my fantasy team, i have a vested interest, and there are times he still makes some unreal catches - but he's nowhere near what he was in the first few years. It's unfortunate and it's probably mostly due to the injuries, but he also doesn't play with that edge he had those first few seasons going over the middle and fighting for every yard. Factoring in $ and age I'd almost definitely take Lawrence over him going forward by himself.
Tate suspension  
Carl in CT : 12/4/2019 11:11 pm : link
Was well known before he put it out there. Thatís a fact.
RE: isn't what OBJ is more important than what he was?  
jcn56 : 12/4/2019 11:41 pm : link
In comment 14703509 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
i've watched a lot of the browns this year and have him on my fantasy team, i have a vested interest, and there are times he still makes some unreal catches - but he's nowhere near what he was in the first few years. It's unfortunate and it's probably mostly due to the injuries, but he also doesn't play with that edge he had those first few seasons going over the middle and fighting for every yard. Factoring in $ and age I'd almost definitely take Lawrence over him going forward by himself.


I hope for our sake he doesn't find his way onto a functional team like SF or NE, as I'm pretty sure he'll find his way back to productivity quickly.

Meanwhile, we can keep our fingers crossed that one day, Lawrence is more than Snacks.
It's Eli's fault  
Mr. Bungle : 12/4/2019 11:44 pm : link
.
RE: It's Eli's fault  
jcn56 : 12/4/2019 11:52 pm : link
In comment 14703533 Mr. Bungle said:
Quote:
.


Well, Eli and the Giants certainly acquitted themselves well once OBJ was gone, right? You know, since they didn't have to force the ball to him and could spread it around and focus on Saquon more.
RE: Who?  
BlueLou'sBack : 12/5/2019 12:41 am : link
In comment 14702665 rocco8112 said:
Quote:
He is a non entity now. Overrated value to a team. He should send Eli a thank you fruit basket for his glory days.


Fruit basket? He should buy Eli his favorite Escalade with the rear seat covered in gold dollars.
Does anyone actually think this is a surprise?  
montanagiant : 12/5/2019 12:46 am : link
Everyone on here knew the minute they had a shitty season he was out. That is who he is!
RE: RE: isn't what OBJ is more important than what he was?  
Eric on Li : 12/5/2019 12:48 am : link
In comment 14703530 jcn56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14703509 Eric on Li said:


Quote:


i've watched a lot of the browns this year and have him on my fantasy team, i have a vested interest, and there are times he still makes some unreal catches - but he's nowhere near what he was in the first few years. It's unfortunate and it's probably mostly due to the injuries, but he also doesn't play with that edge he had those first few seasons going over the middle and fighting for every yard. Factoring in $ and age I'd almost definitely take Lawrence over him going forward by himself.



I hope for our sake he doesn't find his way onto a functional team like SF or NE, as I'm pretty sure he'll find his way back to productivity quickly.

Meanwhile, we can keep our fingers crossed that one day, Lawrence is more than Snacks.


I'd sign for another Snacks right now (at age 21 and under contract affordably for another 4 years).

Beckham has gotten a tremendous amount of targets and some of his numbers are tracking with his previous career baselines (like YPC). He just hasn't been efficient converting the targets. It's strange because Chubb is playing well and Landry is on pace for a career year - so you'd think teams would be a lot less able to double/triple him than he was when he was here.
Bring him home  
MtDizzle : 12/5/2019 2:38 am : link
Fuck it.
He is not a team player. .. all about himself...  
EricJ : 12/5/2019 6:57 am : link
and I really dont understand why people cannot see that.

Just look at the headline here. How does anyone even know OBJ wants out of Cleveland? He has to be chirping about it somewhere. Why would you do that in the middle of a season?

He wanted out of NY too but some of you seem to forget that. After he got his money he opened up about wanting to play elsewhere.
If not for OBJ  
NoPeanutz : 12/5/2019 1:47 pm : link
Damontre Moore would still be here terrorizing opposing QBs.
/s
And this is what he said today....  
LarmerTJR : 12/5/2019 2:12 pm : link
Odell Beckham, asked about his future in Cleveland: ďI couldnít tell you whatís going to happen. Ö Whether Iím going to be here, want to be here, donít want to be here. This is exactly where Iím at now. I wouldnít rather be anywhere else.Ē
.  
Pete in MD : 12/5/2019 4:22 pm : link

Jake Trotter

@Jake_Trotter
Odell Beckham, asked about his future in Cleveland: ďI couldnít tell you whatís going to happen. Ö Whether Iím going to be here, want to be here, donít want to be here. This is exactly where Iím at now. I wouldnít rather be anywhere else.Ē
RE: .  
GMAN4LIFE : 12/5/2019 4:25 pm : link
In comment 14704390 Pete in MD said:
Quote:

Jake Trotter

@Jake_Trotter
Odell Beckham, asked about his future in Cleveland: ďI couldnít tell you whatís going to happen. Ö Whether Iím going to be here, want to be here, donít want to be here. This is exactly where Iím at now. I wouldnít rather be anywhere else.Ē


bwahahahahahahahah
RE: RE: RE: isn't what OBJ is more important than what he was?  
HomerJones45 : 12/5/2019 5:42 pm : link
In comment 14703564 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
In comment 14703530 jcn56 said:


Quote:


In comment 14703509 Eric on Li said:


Quote:


i've watched a lot of the browns this year and have him on my fantasy team, i have a vested interest, and there are times he still makes some unreal catches - but he's nowhere near what he was in the first few years. It's unfortunate and it's probably mostly due to the injuries, but he also doesn't play with that edge he had those first few seasons going over the middle and fighting for every yard. Factoring in $ and age I'd almost definitely take Lawrence over him going forward by himself.



I hope for our sake he doesn't find his way onto a functional team like SF or NE, as I'm pretty sure he'll find his way back to productivity quickly.

Meanwhile, we can keep our fingers crossed that one day, Lawrence is more than Snacks.



I'd sign for another Snacks right now (at age 21 and under contract affordably for another 4 years).

Beckham has gotten a tremendous amount of targets and some of his numbers are tracking with his previous career baselines (like YPC). He just hasn't been efficient converting the targets. It's strange because Chubb is playing well and Landry is on pace for a career year - so you'd think teams would be a lot less able to double/triple him than he was when he was here.
Mayfield has not been good. Landry is similarly "inefficient".
I am okay with bringing him back  
Jimmy Googs : 12/5/2019 5:51 pm : link
to the Giants.

That's if there is any money left after paying for the Leonard Williams deal...
RE: .  
EricJ : 12/5/2019 5:55 pm : link
In comment 14704390 Pete in MD said:
Quote:

Jake Trotter

@Jake_Trotter
Odell Beckham, asked about his future in Cleveland: ďI couldnít tell you whatís going to happen. Ö Whether Iím going to be here, want to be here, donít want to be here. This is exactly where Iím at now. I wouldnít rather be anywhere else.Ē


Isn't that basically a summary of what he said AFTER we have him that huge contract?
More twittering:  
Pete in MD : 12/6/2019 9:38 am : link
Odell Beckham Jr
@obj
Ok😑😑😑... I NEVER said I was not happy in Cleveland, just like everyone else Iím hopeful for better results. Period. Next story plzz 😭 ...
CBS 3/13: Odell Beckham Jr. Trade Grades: Browns huge winners  
x meadowlander : 12/6/2019 10:02 am : link
Giants clear losers in an utter disaster"...


"With Odell Beckham, the Browns are the new favorites in the AFC North"

Ha. Haha. Hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

"He turns the Browns into the best team in the AFC North one year after they went 7-8-1 with their young nucleus, even after Hue Jackson actively sabotaged them during the first half the season. "
RE: CBS 3/13: Odell Beckham Jr. Trade Grades: Browns huge winners  
EricJ : 12/6/2019 10:06 am : link
In comment 14704974 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
Giants clear losers in an utter disaster"...


"With Odell Beckham, the Browns are the new favorites in the AFC North"

Ha. Haha. Hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

"He turns the Browns into the best team in the AFC North one year after they went 7-8-1 with their young nucleus, even after Hue Jackson actively sabotaged them during the first half the season. "


Just like the Antonio Brown impact. Oh now that he is on the Raiders, they are the favorites to win their division.

Then, the Pats sign him and people are saying the league should just mail the Lombardi trophy to Kraft now.
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner