for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Free Agents

BigBlueWC : 1/10/2020 8:35 am
Here's what I believe should be a list of the Giants' top FA targets, in no particular order. There is a lot of talent out there and a lot of players just entering their prime. If the Giants play this right, they can substantially improve their roster this off-season. Color me excited.

Yannick Ngakoue, 4-3 DE, JAX, 25
Byron Jones, CB, DAL, 27
Anthony Castonzo, OT, IND, 32
Arik Armstead, 4-3 DE, SF, 26
Dante Fowler Jr., 3-4 OLB, LAR, 26
Shaq Barrett, 3-4 OLB, TB, 27
Bud Dupree, 3-4 OLB, PIT, 27
Matthew Judon, 3-4 OLB, BAL, 27
Justin Simmons, FS, DEN, 26
James Bradberry, CB, CAR, 27
Jack Conklin, OT, TEN, 26
Anthony Harris, FS, MIN, 28
Cory Littleton, ILB, LAR, 26
Bryan Bulaga, OT, GB, 31

Plan of attack:
Sign an OT - preferably Conklin.

Sign a OLB/Edge - love Ngakoue but don't want to break the bank for him given the other options out there.

Sign Cory Littleton.

I also really like the two FS options, but understand they may be more of a luxury at this point. I believe the hope is that Julian Love fills that position. He showed some promise late last year.

Thoughts?

My top 3  
JudgmentDayIsHere : 1/10/2020 8:38 am : link
Conklin to solve RT once and for all

Jones to play back there with Love, Peppers to be used in other ways

Best edge rusher that makes it to FA, I donít think all the guys on the list above will ever reach UFA
I thought I read somewhere that Costanzo  
jvm52106 : 1/10/2020 8:41 am : link
is thinking of retiring.
When does FA begin?  
5BowlsSoon : 1/10/2020 8:43 am : link
I bet the real sexy guys we would like will either be franchised or resign with their team before FA begins.
Shaq Barrett will not hit free agency  
Jay on the Island : 1/10/2020 8:46 am : link
TB will franchise him if they canít work out a long term deal before free agency.
RE: My top 3  
Capt. Don : 1/10/2020 8:46 am : link
In comment 14771265 JudgmentDayIsHere said:
Quote:
Conklin to solve RT once and for all

Jones to play back there with Love, Peppers to be used in other ways

Best edge rusher that makes it to FA, I donít think all the guys on the list above will ever reach UFA


Jones is going to want CB money.

You dont pay a top tier CB, top tier money to be a good safety.
FA usually starts  
section125 : 1/10/2020 8:49 am : link
1st week in March.
RE: RE: My top 3  
JudgmentDayIsHere : 1/10/2020 8:53 am : link
In comment 14771293 Capt. Don said:
Quote:
In comment 14771265 JudgmentDayIsHere said:


Quote:


Conklin to solve RT once and for all

Jones to play back there with Love, Peppers to be used in other ways

Best edge rusher that makes it to FA, I donít think all the guys on the list above will ever reach UFA



Jones is going to want CB money.

You dont pay a top tier CB, top tier money to be a good safety.


Itís not what he wants itís what the market drives his price too. Thatís a factor for any FA. If he goes too high Iíd pass, but his wants arenít the driving factor of what he will ultimately get.
RE: When does FA begin?  
Klaatu : 1/10/2020 8:55 am : link
In comment 14771284 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
I bet the real sexy guys we would like will either be franchised or resign with their team before FA begins.


March 18 this year.
RE: FA usually starts  
Kevin in Annapolis : 1/10/2020 8:57 am : link
In comment 14771301 section125 said:
Quote:
1st week in March.


March 18th this year
RE: RE: When does FA begin?  
Kevin in Annapolis : 1/10/2020 8:58 am : link
In comment 14771323 Klaatu said:
Quote:
In comment 14771284 5BowlsSoon said:


Quote:


I bet the real sexy guys we would like will either be franchised or resign with their team before FA begins.



March 18 this year.


Wow, that was weird, lol
Definitely one or two of the tackles since I'm not crazy about the  
Ira : 1/10/2020 8:59 am : link
ones in the draft.
Thanks to the guys who answered my question  
5BowlsSoon : 1/10/2020 9:01 am : link
March 18th

About 2 months away.....hurry up time........
No long term free agent signings if over 29. Old guys get team  
Ivan15 : 1/10/2020 9:11 am : link
friendly 2-year contracts.
I'm not a believer in huge FA participation  
Chris684 : 1/10/2020 9:21 am : link
and this year is no different.

Of higher priced guys I'm only interested in Conklin.

He's only 26. You can sign him and forget about RT for the next half decade.
Inside Linebacker needs to be a priority in free agency.  
Klaatu : 1/10/2020 9:30 am : link
As I said here.
Shaq  
TommyWiseau : 1/10/2020 9:32 am : link
Will get franchised. Dupree and Yannick may hit FA. Jacksonville is has like no cap space and with the emergence of Josh allen they might let him walk. He and Conklin should be the prime targets
My top 5  
Maijay : 1/10/2020 9:39 am : link
Yannick Ngakoue De Jax.
Jack Conklin OT Ten.
Shaq Barrett 3-4 OLB TB
Matt Judon 3-4 OLB Bal.
Justin Simmons FS Den.

Like to see at least two signings from the list but I hope we make some upgrade. We got no where to go but up.
The Sooner  
djstat : 1/10/2020 9:53 am : link
You people realize the 3-4 and 4-3 argument does not matter the better your lives will be
Mixed about how I'd like FA to go  
Biteymax22 : 1/10/2020 9:58 am : link
Half of me wants to see a big splash, the other half wants to see 4-5 mid level starters rather than 1-2 big players.

I may be in the minority, but for pass rushers I'd rather add Judon and resign Golden so we have 2 capable players. I love Ngakoue, but the difference between him and Judon may be enough to add another starter, we have a lot of holes.

Conklin was a guy I wanted when he came out of the draft and I still like him, but Gates looks as if he may be able to handle the right side, and I'd rather look into replacing Solder on the left side. If we sign Conklin we'd have huge $$ between our 2 tackles and still have a massive hole on the left side.

Jones is an interesting name at safety, he's a guy I may look at. Both Peppers and Love looked good at time, but aren't your deep ballhawk types. Peppers and Love have a lot of value in the nickle packages and having both of them on the field with a deep safety can help us creatively disguise some packages.

We do need a MLB, I'd have to see what Littleton would be asking before making a comment.
Judging  
Bones : 1/10/2020 10:05 am : link
From what our new head coachís philosophy is, I believe we need to temper our incoming FA expectations. For instance, if we are going to play 3-4 against some teams and 4-3 vs others, it should not be expected that we go out and spend 20 million on a 3-4 edge rushing LB who might only have a prominent role in half the games.
NE tends to accumulate extra draft choices so that they have a versatile team at a reasonable price. I wonder if we will start moving around in terms of draft picks on draft day.
Shaq Barrett won't sniff FA.  
Section331 : 1/10/2020 10:12 am : link
TB will franchise him if they can't come to terms.

Conklin's injury history concerns me, but I'd love to have him if he checks out.
People  
Toth029 : 1/10/2020 10:26 am : link
Need to stop listing Simmons from Denver.

He'll be tagged.
RE: My top 3  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/10/2020 10:29 am : link
In comment 14771265 JudgmentDayIsHere said:
Quote:
Conklin to solve RT once and for all

Jones to play back there with Love, Peppers to be used in other ways

Best edge rusher that makes it to FA, I donít think all the guys on the list above will ever reach UFA

Patrick is onto handle #4!
Agree with most everyone here  
mavric : 1/10/2020 10:37 am : link
My wish list:

- ER, Ngakoue or Clowney (cuz we ain't gettin Chase Young) and we need a disruptive edge rusher). Yeah, neither will come cheap, but we are in a position to go for it

- RT, Conklin (He would solve our RT position for the next 5-7 years)

- CB, Byron Jones or Logan Ryan (kinda like to take Jones just to flip a big "fuck you" to Dallas, but I prefer Logan Ryan as I believe he would come a little cheaper and be far more disruptive on the defensive side of the ball)
Has to be done in conjuction with preliminary Draft board  
Jimmy Googs : 1/10/2020 10:37 am : link
but with that said obvious weakest points on the team continue to be Offensive Tackle, Linebacker and Free Safety.

That's where I would look for some infusion of talent without going crazy with the $$s...
RE: RE: RE: My top 3  
Capt. Don : 1/10/2020 11:00 am : link
In comment 14771315 JudgmentDayIsHere said:
Quote:
In comment 14771293 Capt. Don said:


Quote:


In comment 14771265 JudgmentDayIsHere said:


Quote:


Conklin to solve RT once and for all

Jones to play back there with Love, Peppers to be used in other ways

Best edge rusher that makes it to FA, I donít think all the guys on the list above will ever reach UFA



Jones is going to want CB money.

You dont pay a top tier CB, top tier money to be a good safety.



Itís not what he wants itís what the market drives his price too. Thatís a factor for any FA. If he goes too high Iíd pass, but his wants arenít the driving factor of what he will ultimately get.


Let me rephrase. If we want him as a safety we will have to outbid another team who is willing to pay top tier corner money.

He is a top tier corner and many teams will be willing to pay him that way.

If we are one of those teams, that's fine but then he needs to play corner where he is excellent and not safety where he is good, not great.
Can Conklin  
Giantophile : 1/10/2020 11:13 am : link
not play LT and then we swing Solder over to RT and improve at 2 positions?

I remember him coming out of the draft but can't recall if he has the type of game for LT.
hate this  
2cents : 1/10/2020 11:23 am : link
as much as i love this type of conversation its really pointless to put much thought into at this point. I would guess that over 50% of that list resigns with their current team.. and never even touches FA
RE: Can Conklin  
Klaatu : 1/10/2020 11:35 am : link
In comment 14771645 Giantophile said:
Quote:
not play LT and then we swing Solder over to RT and improve at 2 positions?

I remember him coming out of the draft but can't recall if he has the type of game for LT.


Conklin has played RT almost exclusively as a pro (Taylor Lewan plays LT for the Titans. I think Conklin subbed for him in one game as a rookie). He was primarily a LT in college, though, but he's five years removed from that.
Conklin and Dupree  
WillVAB : 1/10/2020 12:28 pm : link
Or Conklin Judon would be my preferred splash signings.
RE: Can Conklin  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/10/2020 12:35 pm : link
In comment 14771645 Giantophile said:
Quote:
not play LT and then we swing Solder over to RT and improve at 2 positions?

I remember him coming out of the draft but can't recall if he has the type of game for LT.

RT and LT are increasingly being seen as closer to equal importance (though until DJ gets the fumbles under control, the blind side remains much more important, IMO), but it's a lot to ask both of your tackles to reverse their footwork. That's a lot of muscle memory to rewrite.
RE: Conklin and Dupree  
Klaatu : 1/10/2020 12:43 pm : link
In comment 14771865 WillVAB said:
Quote:
Or Conklin Judon would be my preferred splash signings.


I really liked Dupree pre-draft, but I'd be a little hesitant to offer him the kind of contract he'll most likely get this year. Seems like he played okay for his first few years, but not great...not what you'd expect from a 1st Rd pick (#22 overall). Then it's like he did just enough to get Pittsburgh to pick up his 5th-year option, and then he really turned it on in his contract year. I know that's something of a cliche', but it still bugs me.
RE: hate this  
BigBlueWC : 1/10/2020 1:07 pm : link
In comment 14771673 2cents said:
Quote:
as much as i love this type of conversation its really pointless to put much thought into at this point. I would guess that over 50% of that list resigns with their current team.. and never even touches FA


thanks for adding your useless 2cents
RE: RE: Conklin and Dupree  
WillVAB : 1/10/2020 7:24 pm : link
In comment 14771905 Klaatu said:
Quote:
In comment 14771865 WillVAB said:


Quote:


Or Conklin Judon would be my preferred splash signings.



I really liked Dupree pre-draft, but I'd be a little hesitant to offer him the kind of contract he'll most likely get this year. Seems like he played okay for his first few years, but not great...not what you'd expect from a 1st Rd pick (#22 overall). Then it's like he did just enough to get Pittsburgh to pick up his 5th-year option, and then he really turned it on in his contract year. I know that's something of a cliche', but it still bugs me.


FA signings are always going to have questions or flags. Thatís why they hit FA.

Thereís going to be some risk involved with any of them. Judon didnít light the league on fire for the majority of his rookie deal. Dupree has been uneven. Conklin had the ACL and suspect play until he recovered.

I think those guys are worth the gamble. Theyíve shown to be impact players at important positions when theyíre playing their game.
Oh and by the way, we need to keep up with LB Joe Schobert  
Jimmy Googs : 1/10/2020 7:29 pm : link
out of Cleveland. He is not nothing and while not spectacular he would be an immense upgrade in the middle of our defense.

Keeping in mind both Klaatu and I would be immense upgrades at LB on our sad defense...

RE: Oh and by the way, we need to keep up with LB Joe Schobert  
Klaatu : 1/10/2020 7:32 pm : link
In comment 14772638 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
out of Cleveland. He is not nothing and while not spectacular he would be an immense upgrade in the middle of our defense.

Keeping in mind both Klaatu and I would be immense upgrades at LB on our sad defense...


Only if I could play the Billy Cole position.
Back to the Corner