Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Giants hire Jerry Schuplinski as QB Coach

Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/13/2020 2:53 pm
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
·
2m
Try this again: More #Giants assistants coming together: QB coach is expected to be Jerry Schuplinski, sources said. Was assistant QB coach for the #Dolphins, who will let him reunite with Joe Judge. Schuplinski was with the #Patriots 2013-18.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: No question  
figgy2989 : 1/13/2020 3:27 pm : link
In comment 14777160 Rflairr said:
Quote:
they're letting him pick his guys


Definitely, there is no shot any of these names would have been in DG's Rolodex.
Not a single hire  
NYG007 : 1/13/2020 3:27 pm : link
Has me worried. If they are cut from the Joe Judge cloth, I am good.
RE: Fellas  
UConn4523 : 1/13/2020 3:29 pm : link
In comment 14777067 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
We're not taking Dolphins coaches, we're taking ex-Patriots coaches.

Big difference.


Right, don't know why the confusion. Had they never coached in NE they wouldn't be here. And judging anything off of the 2019 Dolphins is pointless - pretend it didn't happen as far as the Giants are concerned.
RE: I'm starting to  
jvm52106 : 1/13/2020 3:30 pm : link
In comment 14777017 HoodieGelo said:
Quote:
get a little worried.

Yes Graham and Schuplinski were with him on the Pats but what happened to "not just going to hire his friends"?

Not to mention we are poaching from one of the worst teams in the league?


Talent wise they were. They were better coached than our more talented Giants team.
With the track record that former patriots coaches have  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/13/2020 3:30 pm : link
When not with the Patriots, they might as well be Dolphins coaches.
Think Judge has his own philosophy about how a team should operate.  
TMS : 1/13/2020 3:33 pm : link
He is bringing guys who see it as he does. He has a strong personality and wants to build this team his way. Mara and the rest saw that and made their choice. What we have been doing has not worked. What do we have to lose?
This sign was spotted outside the Dolphins Facility  
David B. : 1/13/2020 3:38 pm : link
RE: Another article about him developing Jimmy and Brissett  
Spider56 : 1/13/2020 3:39 pm : link
In comment 14777153 Saquads26 said:
Quote:
... Why the Miami Dolphins fired Chad O’Shea and what it means for Jerry Schuplinski - ( New Window )


This article implies Schuplinski will soon be an OC somewhere ... so either JJ believes he’s a 1 year coach for DJ ... or the potential heir with the Giants if they hire Garrett and then he leaves in a year or 2. In any event, I like the way this is coming together but who will be the OL guru ???
If you watched that Belichick/Saban doc on HBO...  
Chris in LA : 1/13/2020 3:40 pm : link
both coaches groused about their assistants getting HC gobs and then poaching their staffs. They were really miffed by it. So no surprise that Judge is going to Miami and possibly other teams, rather than raiding Belichick's NE staff....
Ryan Fitzpatrick  
YANKEE28 : 1/13/2020 3:40 pm : link
is now a Free Agent.

Fitz was coached last year by Schuplinski.

To me, I could not think of a better mentor/backup for Jones.
per Dan Schneier on Twitter...  
Aaron Thomas : 1/13/2020 3:43 pm : link
Both Jimmy Garappolo (who said he wouldn't be here w/o him) and Jacoby Brissett heaped heavy praise on Schup
RE: Ryan Fitzpatrick  
Bill in UT : 1/13/2020 3:46 pm : link
In comment 14777204 YANKEE28 said:
Quote:
is now a Free Agent.

Fitz was coached last year by Schuplinski.

To me, I could not think of a better mentor/backup for Jones.


Is he as good as Tanney in the QB room?
RE: Ryan Fitzpatrick  
Anakim : 1/13/2020 3:46 pm : link
In comment 14777204 YANKEE28 said:
Quote:
is now a Free Agent.

Fitz was coached last year by Schuplinski.

To me, I could not think of a better mentor/backup for Jones.


Yes, and if DJ gets hurt maybe we'll experience some of that Fitzmagic.
Nothing Judge has done so far  
Dave on the UWS : 1/13/2020 3:47 pm : link
indicates to me that he doesn’t know what he’s doing. You guys need to keep your big boy pants 👖 on.
RE: RE: Ryan Fitzpatrick  
Blue21 : 1/13/2020 3:50 pm : link
In comment 14777218 Anakim said:
Quote:
In comment 14777204 YANKEE28 said:


Quote:


is now a Free Agent.

Fitz was coached last year by Schuplinski.

To me, I could not think of a better mentor/backup for Jones.



Yes, and if DJ gets hurt maybe we'll experience some of that Fitzmagic.


Agree with all of this unless he's looking for big money
RE: Think Judge has his own philosophy about how a team should operate.  
Southern Man : 1/13/2020 3:50 pm : link
In comment 14777188 TMS said:
Quote:
He is bringing guys who see it as he does. He has a strong personality and wants to build this team his way. Mara and the rest saw that and made their choice. What we have been doing has not worked. What do we have to lose?


This. Judge wants to institute a new system (one would think based on the Patriots's system) and so it's helpful to have some coaches who are familiar with the way things worked in Foxboro. Also, sure he must have a positive evaluation of their teaching abilities.
Anyone who has ever had to hire staff, in any profession, typically  
morrison40 : 1/13/2020 4:04 pm : link
Goes to people they know first , recommendations from people they know,next, lastly to to people they don’t know.
This should make the Analytics crowd happy  
Joey in VA : 1/13/2020 4:13 pm : link
Instead of old musty coaches who hate fancy numbers we have a staff so far of young guys who have been around the college game, Saban and the Patriots and should embrace newer ways to approach the game.
His last name is pronounced “Shoe-Plin-Ski”  
Jim from Katonah : 1/13/2020 4:14 pm : link
May I suggest calling him Coach Shoe from now on?

(As the owner of a long Czech surname, gotta say that a nickname can really save a lot of misspellings).
RE: If you watched that Belichick/Saban doc on HBO...  
Chocco : 1/13/2020 4:24 pm : link
In comment 14777200 Chris in LA said:
Quote:
both coaches groused about their assistants getting HC gobs and then poaching their staffs. They were really miffed by it. So no surprise that Judge is going to Miami and possibly other teams, rather than raiding Belichick's NE staff....

Yep.
Good article from WEEI when he was with the Pats  
Heisenberg : 1/13/2020 4:25 pm : link
regarding his work with Jimmy G, Brissette, etc

Quote:
Young quarterbacks coming into the Patriots system are naturally going to struggle, but even when things are bad, Schuplinski is always there to offer his thoughts on how to make the situation better.

Schuplinski’s capacity for caring is not lost on his players.

“When I first stepped into the facility for rookie minicamp, he definitely took me under his wing and I think the process led right up until my last day there,” Brissett said. “I think what his role was and what he felt like he embraced was he was going to go through the learning curve with me. That was something I respected and I took to heart. I am sure he didn’t have to, but he went with me through my ups and downs and the learning process with the offense. I think that paid off a lot for me.”

Part of being a good coach is relating to players and Schuplinski is someone who the players have no problem talking to, even beyond the game of football. This is especially important for young players who are getting used to being in the NFL and are no longer in the college environment.

“Anything you had questions about, or if you were having a rough day even off the field that didn’t have to do with football he was there to talk about it and I really appreciated Jerry,” Garoppolo said. “I got to know his family and all his daughters and everything. They are just good people. We connected pretty immediately when we first met each other. It was something that did us well down the road.”

“He was a great mentor for me,” Brissett added. “That was on and off the field. He was someone I always leaned on and just talked about anything. We would talk about life, family — things away from football that made our relationship so special.”


Fits the "teachers" who are "good people first" requirement that Judge talked about.
Link - ( New Window )
I'm  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/13/2020 4:28 pm : link
not sure how anyone would be upset over a Pats QB coach.
RE: I'm  
Anakim : 1/13/2020 4:29 pm : link
In comment 14777336 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
not sure how anyone would be upset over a Pats QB coach.


Flashbacks of Hufnagel :)
RE: This whole team is becoming  
Gregorio : 1/13/2020 4:36 pm : link
In comment 14777015 ANGPASS said:
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/2tyZcLl.gif


Angpass, add [img] tags around the url of gif images.. .

Belichick  
BobR in Durham : 1/13/2020 4:49 pm : link
has bellyached for years about his former assistant coaches poaching his staff when they got HC gigs. Wonder if BB enjoyed seeing JJ get the Giants job knowing he would poach some of Flores' staff. Schadenfreude.

Instead of wondering why Flores is letting some of his staff go to other jobs, maybe we should be wondering why they want to leave Flores and Miami. Maybe Flores is all that?
Correction  
BobR in Durham : 1/13/2020 4:50 pm : link
Maybe Flores isn't all that?
...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/13/2020 4:55 pm : link
“[Schuplinski] was with me from day one,” Garoppolo, now the 49ers starting quarterback, told radio station WEEI in 2018. “Josh McDaniels was our quarterbacks coach, but Jerry was my quarterbacks coach at the time. He taught me all the ins and outs of the playbook… at the beginning you’re going into a system where a guy has been doing it for however many years Tom has been doing it with Josh, so they are kind of speaking a different language initially. You’re just trying to play catch-up when you are in there, and Jerry was kind of the guy. He knows all the stuff and he brings you up to speed.”
https://nypost.com/2020/01/13/giants-hiring-jerry-schuplinski-as-quarterback-coach-in-another-patriots-twist/ - ( New Window )
I wouldn't be surprised that Judge knows who his OC will be  
GFAN52 : 1/13/2020 5:00 pm : link
and discussed the QB coach hiring with him.
RE: I wouldn't be surprised that Judge knows who his OC will be  
Chocco : 1/13/2020 5:20 pm : link
In comment 14777394 GFAN52 said:
Quote:
and discussed the QB coach hiring with him.

The more I read about Mike Groh, the more it sounds like he would be part of this team. Not because they were in the same place for a year or because is father was a BB guy. He sounds like the kind of coach Judge is looking for either for OC or a position coach
Mike Groh - ( New Window )
RE: Fellas  
Darth Paul : 1/13/2020 5:30 pm : link
In comment 14777067 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
We're not taking Dolphins coaches, we're taking ex-Patriots coaches.

Big difference.


It can be both
RE: ...  
Darth Paul : 1/13/2020 5:31 pm : link
In comment 14776999 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
John Carroll (2000–2001)
Graduate assistant
Trinity HS (OH) (2002–2006)
Head coach
Case Western Reserve (2007–2012)
Special teams coordinator & linebackers coach
New England Patriots (2013–2015)
Offensive assistant
New England Patriots (2016–2018)
Assistant quarterbacks coach
Miami Dolphins (2019–present)
Assistant quarterbacks coach


Is John Carroll in the Ivy League?
RE: Brady then Rosen  
5BowlsSoon : 1/13/2020 5:37 pm : link
In comment 14777336 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
not sure how anyone would be upset over a Pats QB coach.


Well, how much coaching does one do for a seasoned vet like Brady?

But he was supposed to coach up Rosen, was he not? What happened to Rosen? He played a few games, stunk, and then they put him on the bench for good. I’m still,perplexed as to why they didn’t even want to get a good look at him before this years draft.
RE: RE: ...  
Chocco : 1/13/2020 5:39 pm : link
In comment 14777440 Darth Paul said:
Quote:
In comment 14776999 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


John Carroll (2000–2001)
Graduate assistant
Trinity HS (OH) (2002–2006)
Head coach
Case Western Reserve (2007–2012)
Special teams coordinator & linebackers coach
New England Patriots (2013–2015)
Offensive assistant
New England Patriots (2016–2018)
Assistant quarterbacks coach
Miami Dolphins (2019–present)
Assistant quarterbacks coach



Is John Carroll in the Ivy League?

Div III
Their football alumni is insane for a Div. III Catholic University
Look at notable alumni - ( New Window )
RE: RE: RE: ...  
Chocco : 1/13/2020 5:47 pm : link
In comment 14777453 Chocco said:
Quote:


Div III
Their football alumni is insane for a Div. III Catholic University Look at notable alumni - ( New Window )

Graham Armstrong
Tom Arth
David Caldwell
Nick Caserio –
Enrique Ecker
London Fletcher
Josh McDaniels
Brian Polian
Chris Polian
Chuck Priefer
Greg Roman
Don Shula
Carl Taseff
Tom Telesco
Jerry Schuplinski
I admit I know nothing about these guys  
PatersonPlank : 1/13/2020 5:55 pm : link
but the fact that all of these guys are either being promoted by Judge into these roles, or have really limited experience in the position, has me nervous. I admit to wanting more experienced coaches, especially since Judge isn't experienced as a HC
RE: I'm starting to  
TommyWiseau : 1/13/2020 6:03 pm : link
In comment 14777017 HoodieGelo said:
Quote:
get a little worried.

Yes Graham and Schuplinski were with him on the Pats but what happened to "not just going to hire his friends"?

Not to mention we are poaching from one of the worst teams in the league?


He kept two guys he doesn't even know from the Giants current staff. That's him "not just going to hire his friends"
RE: RE: RE: Fellas  
DavidinBMNY : 1/13/2020 6:06 pm : link
In comment 14777127 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
In comment 14777090 figgy2989 said:


Quote:


In comment 14777067 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


We're not taking Dolphins coaches, we're taking ex-Patriots coaches.

Big difference.



Patriots coaches with a layover in South Beach?



Yup, even a cursory review of resumes tells you both of the last hires were weaned in the Patriots system and ONLY spent one each each with the Dolphins.

So what do you think?
Would like 1 very experienced coach on staff (someone who was a coordinator or a HC or both to help him). That could be as a position coach, but someone with that experience. Otherwise have no problem with his approach.
RE: RE: Brady then Rosen  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/13/2020 6:07 pm : link
In comment 14777452 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
In comment 14777336 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


not sure how anyone would be upset over a Pats QB coach.



Well, how much coaching does one do for a seasoned vet like Brady?

But he was supposed to coach up Rosen, was he not? What happened to Rosen? He played a few games, stunk, and then they put him on the bench for good. I’m still,perplexed as to why they didn’t even want to get a good look at him before this years draft.


You need to look past Brady and the other QBs who have played there.
RE: RE: RE: Brady then Rosen  
5BowlsSoon : 1/13/2020 6:18 pm : link
In comment 14777514 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
In comment 14777452 5BowlsSoon said:


Quote:


In comment 14777336 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


not sure how anyone would be upset over a Pats QB coach.



Well, how much coaching does one do for a seasoned vet like Brady?

But he was supposed to coach up Rosen, was he not? What happened to Rosen? He played a few games, stunk, and then they put him on the bench for good. I’m still,perplexed as to why they didn’t even want to get a good look at him before this years draft.



You need to look past Brady and the other QBs who have played there.


Well, he was assistant qbs coach there 2016-2018 so I know JoeyG was there in 2016. Not sure who the backup was in 2017-18. It’s hard to evaluate backups who never play or who are not playing for some other team.

But what about ROSEN? What happened there? I’d be interested in knowing why he was benched never to be scene again. No player Left Behind didn’t apply to Rosen, or so it seems.
RE: RE: RE: Ryan Fitzpatrick  
ron mexico : 1/13/2020 6:21 pm : link
In comment 14777231 Blue21 said:
Quote:
In comment 14777218 Anakim said:


Quote:


In comment 14777204 YANKEE28 said:


Quote:


is now a Free Agent.

Fitz was coached last year by Schuplinski.

To me, I could not think of a better mentor/backup for Jones.



Yes, and if DJ gets hurt maybe we'll experience some of that Fitzmagic.



Agree with all of this unless he's looking for big money

Did they cut him? He signed a two year deal with Miami

Is salary is well established at around 5mil a year.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Brady then Rosen  
Strahan91 : 1/13/2020 6:27 pm : link
In comment 14777547 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:

Well, he was assistant qbs coach there 2016-2018 so I know JoeyG was there in 2016. Not sure who the backup was in 2017-18. It’s hard to evaluate backups who never play or who are not playing for some other team.

But what about ROSEN? What happened there? I’d be interested in knowing why he was benched never to be scene again. No player Left Behind didn’t apply to Rosen, or so it seems.

He did a great job with both Brissett and Garoppolo. Read link for more on that.

What's the fixation with Rosen? He looked terrible and has now flamed out in two different places. Maybe it's not the coaching that's the issue...
Link - ( New Window )
Dont position coaches typically have a 2 year contract?  
GloryDayz : 1/13/2020 7:05 pm : link
So why is Miami letting them go while still under contract?

Based on the article posted, they were very high him.

Something going on in Miami we dont know about?
RE: Ryan Fitzpatrick  
Jay on the Island : 1/13/2020 7:06 pm : link
In comment 14777204 YANKEE28 said:
Quote:
is now a Free Agent.

Fitz was coached last year by Schuplinski.

To me, I could not think of a better mentor/backup for Jones.

Fitzpatrick is not a free agent. He signed a 2 year deal with Miami last offseason.
RE: Dont position coaches typically have a 2 year contract?  
Jay on the Island : 1/13/2020 7:11 pm : link
In comment 14777608 GloryDayz said:
Quote:
So why is Miami letting them go while still under contract?

Based on the article posted, they were very high him.

Something going on in Miami we dont know about?

He's allowed to leave if it's a promotion.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Brady then Rosen  
Nine-Tails : 1/13/2020 7:20 pm : link
In comment 14777547 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
In comment 14777514 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


In comment 14777452 5BowlsSoon said:


Quote:


In comment 14777336 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


not sure how anyone would be upset over a Pats QB coach.



Well, how much coaching does one do for a seasoned vet like Brady?

But he was supposed to coach up Rosen, was he not? What happened to Rosen? He played a few games, stunk, and then they put him on the bench for good. I’m still,perplexed as to why they didn’t even want to get a good look at him before this years draft.



You need to look past Brady and the other QBs who have played there.



Well, he was assistant qbs coach there 2016-2018 so I know JoeyG was there in 2016. Not sure who the backup was in 2017-18. It’s hard to evaluate backups who never play or who are not playing for some other team.

But what about ROSEN? What happened there? I’d be interested in knowing why he was benched never to be scene again. No player Left Behind didn’t apply to Rosen, or so it seems.


How do you know Rosen was left behind. Fitzpatrick was just flat out better than him
RE: RE: Dont position coaches typically have a 2 year contract?  
GloryDayz : 1/13/2020 7:42 pm : link
In comment 14777615 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 14777608 GloryDayz said:


Quote:


So why is Miami letting them go while still under contract?

Based on the article posted, they were very high him.

Something going on in Miami we dont know about?


He's allowed to leave if it's a promotion.


All assistant coaches (coordinators and position coaches) are considered "equal" by the NFL.

Technically, going from a position coach to coordinator is NOT a promotion, and assistant position to position coach isnt either. They're lateral moves.
curious if Shoe was expected to follow  
battttles : 1/13/2020 7:45 pm : link
McDaniels if he landed a HC job, and when he didn't...

A template that could work at other spots?
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Brady then Rosen  
GloryDayz : 1/13/2020 7:48 pm : link
In comment 14777630 Nine-Tails said:
Quote:
In comment 14777547 5BowlsSoon said:


Quote:


In comment 14777514 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


In comment 14777452 5BowlsSoon said:


Quote:


In comment 14777336 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


not sure how anyone would be upset over a Pats QB coach.



Well, how much coaching does one do for a seasoned vet like Brady?

But he was supposed to coach up Rosen, was he not? What happened to Rosen? He played a few games, stunk, and then they put him on the bench for good. I’m still,perplexed as to why they didn’t even want to get a good look at him before this years draft.



You need to look past Brady and the other QBs who have played there.



Well, he was assistant qbs coach there 2016-2018 so I know JoeyG was there in 2016. Not sure who the backup was in 2017-18. It’s hard to evaluate backups who never play or who are not playing for some other team.

But what about ROSEN? What happened there? I’d be interested in knowing why he was benched never to be scene again. No player Left Behind didn’t apply to Rosen, or so it seems.



How do you know Rosen was left behind. Fitzpatrick was just flat out better than him


Maybe Rosen was NOT "left behind". Maybe he's just not good enough, at least not at this point.

Drafted in the top 10 (4th QB taken), traded after just 1 season, and rode the bench for most of the season in a "throw away" season.

It's hard to criticize Rosen  
Jay on the Island : 1/13/2020 7:51 pm : link
He has had the two worst offensive lines in football during his first two seasons. Fitzpatrick is more mobile and the line seemed to play better with him at QB.
You wonder if Judge's preferred OC is still coaching  
TheWalrus : 1/13/2020 10:10 pm : link
Interesting that we've hired a QB Coach without an OC. Hypothetically if the guy he wants is still coaching the following names would make the most sense:

Mike McDaniel (49ers Run Game Coordinator)
Mike LaFleur (49ers Pass Game Coordinator)
Todd Downing (Titans TE Coach)
Mike Kafka (Chiefs QB Coach)

Could also mean we are looking at Jim Caldwell and raiding Miami again for another coach.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner