Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

FYI Jason Garrett's contract w/ DAL expires today

FranknWeezer : 1/14/2020 10:16 am
Guess we should find out soon enough if that means anything to NYG.
Garrett's contract expires Jan. 14 - ( New Window )
If Garrett was fired why would Giants have to wait until  
12aob : 1/14/2020 10:20 am : link
His contract expired to hire him?
He was never fired officially  
PatersonPlank : 1/14/2020 10:26 am : link
.
RE: If Garrett was fired why would Giants have to wait until  
bronxct1 : 1/14/2020 10:27 am : link
In comment 14778521 12aob said:
Quote:
His contract expired to hire him?


He hasn't been fired. The Cowboys are just letting his contract expire.
For all we know he could have been offered a different position in  
PatersonPlank : 1/14/2020 10:29 am : link
the Cowboys company (which is the rumour), and he is deciding. I'd love to get him as our OC
Not for nothing, but you always hear about the Giants never  
Anakim : 1/14/2020 10:29 am : link
letting a contract run out. If they fire someone, the coach/exec has at least one year left. I think it shows somewhat of an appreciation and it's a severance package, if you will.
RE: For all we know he could have been offered a different position in  
Section331 : 1/14/2020 10:32 am : link
In comment 14778551 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
the Cowboys company (which is the rumour), and he is deciding. I'd love to get him as our OC


It's been pretty much confirmed that Jones wanted Garrett to take another position in the organization, but JG turned him down. It wouldn't surprise me if Jones refused an Giant requests to interview him before his contract expiration.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but he's been a decent OC, and would be a good ear for Judge.
Dallas didnít want to fire Garrett.  
LawrenceTaylor56 : 1/14/2020 10:33 am : link
Then they would be on the hook if Garrett filed for unemployment.
For all the handle with care approach,,,  
whispa : 1/14/2020 10:45 am : link
that Jerry was supposedly taking with Garrett, this is just very awkward.
Regardless  
David B. : 1/14/2020 10:55 am : link
Garrett may have been waiting to see if he has any Head Coaching opportunities (even in college football) before deciding to take an OC job. Now that the Browns hired a HC, I assume we'll know pretty soon, unless he's looking at college HC gigs.
RE: Regardless  
FranknWeezer : 1/14/2020 11:06 am : link
In comment 14778605 David B. said:
Quote:
Garrett may have been waiting to see if he has any Head Coaching opportunities (even in college football) before deciding to take an OC job. Now that the Browns hired a HC, I assume we'll know pretty soon, unless he's looking at college HC gigs.


I suppose he could always sit out the year and "reinvent himself" like his successor McCarthy did, but JG doesn't strike me as a guy to sit idly by. Maybe I'm wrong.
RE: RE: Regardless  
an_idol_mind : 1/14/2020 11:32 am : link
In comment 14778621 FranknWeezer said:
Quote:
In comment 14778605 David B. said:


Quote:


Garrett may have been waiting to see if he has any Head Coaching opportunities (even in college football) before deciding to take an OC job. Now that the Browns hired a HC, I assume we'll know pretty soon, unless he's looking at college HC gigs.



I suppose he could always sit out the year and "reinvent himself" like his successor McCarthy did, but JG doesn't strike me as a guy to sit idly by. Maybe I'm wrong.


Garrett doesn't have any damning stories about him being lazy and complacent coming out like McCarthy did, so he probably doesn't need to reinvent himself.
When today does it expire?  
Bill in UT : 1/14/2020 12:13 pm : link
Midnight tonight?
RE: Not for nothing, but you always hear about the Giants never  
UConn4523 : 1/14/2020 12:20 pm : link
In comment 14778553 Anakim said:
Quote:
letting a contract run out. If they fire someone, the coach/exec has at least one year left. I think it shows somewhat of an appreciation and it's a severance package, if you will.


Contracts are guaranteed though. Firing them and still paying them while letting them get a jumpstart on their next stop is also convenient.

The Jones/Garrett thing is an outlier and pretty weird.
The one reason I am skeptical of Garrett being OC  
Section331 : 1/14/2020 2:25 pm : link
is that they gave the AHC spot to Graham. I would have thought they would hold it out for a former HC if they were intent on hiring him.
RE: RE: Not for nothing, but you always hear about the Giants never  
Anakim : 1/14/2020 2:28 pm : link
In comment 14778723 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 14778553 Anakim said:


Quote:


letting a contract run out. If they fire someone, the coach/exec has at least one year left. I think it shows somewhat of an appreciation and it's a severance package, if you will.



Contracts are guaranteed though. Firing them and still paying them while letting them get a jumpstart on their next stop is also convenient.

The Jones/Garrett thing is an outlier and pretty weird.


Yeah, that's my point. The Giants never a contract just "expire"
Back to the Corner