for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Eric Bieniemy

Archer : 1/15/2020 9:26 am
I was listening to Jason Whitlock the other day.
He was talking about Eric Bieniemy and his head coaching candidacy.

Whitlockís advice to Bieniemy, to improve his chances to become a head coach, is to get away from Andy Reid.
Whitlock was suggesting that many evaluators question how much of the KC offense is a result of his input vs. Reid.

Whitlock suggested that Bieniemy take a lateral move to an organization where he can make his own distinct accomplishments.

The reason that I mention this is that Bieniemy would seem to be a great fit for the Giants offensive coordinator. He has been great with Mahomes and helped to create the best offense in football.

Similar to Graham, if Bieniemy came he could be the OC / Assistant HC. He would have the freedom to call plays and establish game plans. Reid may acquiesce knowing that this move would be great for Ericís future.
I liked Bieniemy as a HC candidate  
Jay on the Island : 1/15/2020 9:32 am : link
The problem for me though was that he doesn't call the plays. This is the reason I found Stephen A. Smith's criticism of the Giants hiring of Judge so ridiculous.
The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
Brown Recluse : 1/15/2020 9:42 am : link
Who also happens to be black.
RE: The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
V.I.G. : 1/15/2020 9:45 am : link
In comment 14779993 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
Who also happens to be black.

Yes but do we have a sr vice assistant Head coach. So there.
Doug Pederson, Frank Reich...  
Chris in Philly : 1/15/2020 9:49 am : link
Brad Childress, John Harbaugh, Matt Nagy all got head coach jobs directly from Reidís staff. So Whitlock seems to be full of shit.
Assistant HC  
Archer : 1/15/2020 9:49 am : link
The Team can have more than one assistant HC
From what I understand the title is more about compensation

Bieniemy may not be ready as a Head Coach but he is qualified to be an OC.
From what I read the Giants brass came away very impressed with Biemieny.

I also find it curious that the OC has not been named.

It is possible that the Giants have not announced their OC as he is on a team that is still in the p[layoffs.

I'd prefer a HC who does not call his own plays  
djstat : 1/15/2020 9:50 am : link
That method often fails. The BS reasons that Bienemy is not getting a chance is pathetic.

Judge has already failed in putting his staff together as he has a bunch of unproven novices.

I am starting to hate this franchise because of how Mara has let it tear apart.
RE: Doug Pederson, Frank Reich...  
Brown Recluse : 1/15/2020 9:51 am : link
In comment 14780008 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
Brad Childress, John Harbaugh, Matt Nagy all got head coach jobs directly from Reidís staff. So Whitlock seems to be full of shit.


(but those guys are all white)
RE: I'd prefer a HC who does not call his own plays  
Brown Recluse : 1/15/2020 9:53 am : link
In comment 14780013 djstat said:
Quote:


Judge has already failed in putting his staff together as he has a bunch of unproven novices.


This is such a bad take. Has he failed because he didn't hire guys you liked? Who are you to say someone is unproven in a profession you have no connection with and minimal knowledge of? Please enlighten is all with your extensive knowledge of each candidate. If you can't, then kindly STFU.


RE: RE: I'd prefer a HC who does not call his own plays  
micky : 1/15/2020 10:02 am : link
In comment 14780019 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
In comment 14780013 djstat said:


Quote:




Judge has already failed in putting his staff together as he has a bunch of unproven novices.



This is such a bad take. Has he failed because he didn't hire guys you liked? Who are you to say someone is unproven in a profession you have no connection with and minimal knowledge of? Please enlighten is all with your extensive knowledge of each candidate. If you can't, then kindly STFU.





Wow! This is BBI
RE: RE: I'd prefer a HC who does not call his own plays  
Brown_Hornet : 1/15/2020 10:03 am : link
In comment 14780019 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
In comment 14780013 djstat said:


Quote:




Judge has already failed in putting his staff together as he has a bunch of unproven novices.



This is such a bad take. Has he failed because he didn't hire guys you liked? Who are you to say someone is unproven in a profession you have no connection with and minimal knowledge of? Please enlighten is all with your extensive knowledge of each candidate. If you can't, then kindly STFU.


Thank you.
Wow, djstat  
santacruzom : 1/15/2020 10:13 am : link
Just got Brown showered.
RE: RE: Doug Pederson, Frank Reich...  
Mike in NY : 1/15/2020 10:14 am : link
In comment 14780016 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
In comment 14780008 Chris in Philly said:


Quote:


Brad Childress, John Harbaugh, Matt Nagy all got head coach jobs directly from Reidís staff. So Whitlock seems to be full of shit.



(but those guys are all white)


Brian Flores isn't and he still got a job despite not even being a coordinator for Little Bill.

Personally I would prefer not having an OC who will be looking at the position as a definite stepping stone to a Head Coaching position. I want someone who wants to be here for an extended period of time and if a Head Coaching postion happens so be it, versus someone who will be making decisions based on what will look good in an interview.
BBI in a nutshell  
BestFeature : 1/15/2020 10:18 am : link
Judge failed already with the staff before a single fucking practice. I don't think I need to be surprised but I'm constantly surprised how negative people are. Doesn't that make your life miserable?

(And before someone says I'm the pot calling the kettle black, I'm working on being positive myself and when I do it becomes even more glaring when others are negative).
Wow Again  
Archer : 1/15/2020 10:19 am : link
I can't believe some of the responses.

This is about the quality of the candidate and finding the best candidate.

As noted Andy Reid's coaches have gone on to become very productive HCs. Bieniemy comes from that line and draws raves from Reid.

I am only proposing obtaining the best OC and if it is Bieniemy so be it.
Unusual  
Burtman : 1/15/2020 10:28 am : link
It would be strange to hire someone who also interviewed for the same head coaching job just a week or two prior. I can't see this happening no matter how good Bienemy is.
Not into more wco  
idiotsavant : 1/15/2020 10:31 am : link
Raid the 9ers and the falcons on O and call it a day. Mike McDaniel, Chris Morgan.

That said , raid the 9ers on D as well Joe Woods if we can figure out how to get him here as well, 16 years in NFL dbacks .
RE: Wow Again  
Mike in NY : 1/15/2020 10:34 am : link
In comment 14780082 Archer said:
Quote:
I can't believe some of the responses.

This is about the quality of the candidate and finding the best candidate.

As noted Andy Reid's coaches have gone on to become very productive HCs. Bieniemy comes from that line and draws raves from Reid.

I am only proposing obtaining the best OC and if it is Bieniemy so be it.


Brad Childres was the definition of a .500 coach. Doug Pederson's teams have gotten hot at the right time, but he has also had the benefit of a weak NFC East because of Dallas underperforming and the Giants/Redskins sucking. Matt Nagy it is too early to call. Ditto for Frank Reich as his team took a step back this year with Andrew Luck's retirement so it remains to be seen if he can win with a lesser QB.
I'd absolutely be on board with this,  
Section331 : 1/15/2020 11:09 am : link
BUT will KC let him go in a lateral move? Maybe Reid does it to help him out in future HC jobs, but the fact that he is still coaching is going to limit his opportunities to move. I would guess that Judge is eager to get his staff together.
RE: The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
Section331 : 1/15/2020 11:10 am : link
In comment 14779993 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
Who also happens to be black.


So we shouldn't hire any more?
RE: RE: The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
Brown Recluse : 1/15/2020 11:17 am : link
In comment 14780203 Section331 said:
Quote:
In comment 14779993 Brown Recluse said:


Quote:


Who also happens to be black.



So we shouldn't hire any more?


I read that Patrick Graham is basically going to be Judge's #2. If they want to hire another assistant HC then fine. But how does Bieniemy coming here and sharing that assistant HC title with someone else distinguish him anymore than his current position? Doesn't seem like a prudent move for him or the Giants.
RE: RE: Wow Again  
Chris in Philly : 1/15/2020 11:18 am : link
In comment 14780121 Mike in NY said:
Quote:
In comment 14780082 Archer said:


Quote:


I can't believe some of the responses.

This is about the quality of the candidate and finding the best candidate.

As noted Andy Reid's coaches have gone on to become very productive HCs. Bieniemy comes from that line and draws raves from Reid.

I am only proposing obtaining the best OC and if it is Bieniemy so be it.



Brad Childres was the definition of a .500 coach. Doug Pederson's teams have gotten hot at the right time, but he has also had the benefit of a weak NFC East because of Dallas underperforming and the Giants/Redskins sucking. Matt Nagy it is too early to call. Ditto for Frank Reich as his team took a step back this year with Andrew Luck's retirement so it remains to be seen if he can win with a lesser QB.


This is all true, but Whitlock's point was that EB needed to get away from Reid to have a shot. That's not true.

Though Reid has a similar list of coaches he had and then went off someplace else before becoming a head coach (Spags, Shurmur, Rivera, Leslie Frasier, Sean McDermott)...
OP  
Thegratefulhead : 1/15/2020 11:56 am : link
Agree, nice post.
RE: RE: RE: Wow Again  
Mike in NY : 1/15/2020 12:12 pm : link
In comment 14780222 Chris in Philly said:
Quote:
In comment 14780121 Mike in NY said:


Quote:


In comment 14780082 Archer said:


Quote:


I can't believe some of the responses.

This is about the quality of the candidate and finding the best candidate.

As noted Andy Reid's coaches have gone on to become very productive HCs. Bieniemy comes from that line and draws raves from Reid.

I am only proposing obtaining the best OC and if it is Bieniemy so be it.



Brad Childres was the definition of a .500 coach. Doug Pederson's teams have gotten hot at the right time, but he has also had the benefit of a weak NFC East because of Dallas underperforming and the Giants/Redskins sucking. Matt Nagy it is too early to call. Ditto for Frank Reich as his team took a step back this year with Andrew Luck's retirement so it remains to be seen if he can win with a lesser QB.



This is all true, but Whitlock's point was that EB needed to get away from Reid to have a shot. That's not true.

Though Reid has a similar list of coaches he had and then went off someplace else before becoming a head coach (Spags, Shurmur, Rivera, Leslie Frasier, Sean McDermott)...


I agree that EB doesn't need to get away from Reid to have a shot, but I think having success elsewhere will place him higher on pre-interview internal rankings. Teams can get blinded by their internal rankings and overlook red flags in interviews or if nobody stands out use that to determine who gets a second interview.
Great thread  
5BowlsSoon : 1/15/2020 12:13 pm : link
Bieniemy or a Gruden are my wish list.....

Hoping Judge is open to interview them both and not just settle with Shula.
I doubt Eric Bieniemy is going to listen to Jason Whitlock  
Leg of Theismann : 1/15/2020 12:16 pm : link
and I doubt he is leaving that Chiefs offense for anything other than a HC job.

Everyone was screaming and yelling for him to be hired this offseason (after he was passed over). That offense will be just as good next year and my guess is his name will be #1 on the list of next HCs next offseason just by staying put where he is.
RE: I'd prefer a HC who does not call his own plays  
Saquads26 : 1/15/2020 12:19 pm : link
In comment 14780013 djstat said:
Quote:
That method often fails. The BS reasons that Bienemy is not getting a chance is pathetic.

Judge has already failed in putting his staff together as he has a bunch of unproven novices.

I am starting to hate this franchise because of how Mara has let it tear apart.


This is one of the dumber things ever said. In life.
RE: RE: I'd prefer a HC who does not call his own plays  
Saquads26 : 1/15/2020 12:21 pm : link
In comment 14780019 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
In comment 14780013 djstat said:


Quote:




Judge has already failed in putting his staff together as he has a bunch of unproven novices.



This is such a bad take. Has he failed because he didn't hire guys you liked? Who are you to say someone is unproven in a profession you have no connection with and minimal knowledge of? Please enlighten is all with your extensive knowledge of each candidate. If you can't, then kindly STFU.



Yep one of the worst takes ever. Honestly a bannable offense.
RE: RE: RE: The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
Section331 : 1/15/2020 12:26 pm : link
In comment 14780219 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:

I read that Patrick Graham is basically going to be Judge's #2. If they want to hire another assistant HC then fine. But how does Bieniemy coming here and sharing that assistant HC title with someone else distinguish him anymore than his current position? Doesn't seem like a prudent move for him or the Giants.


Probably not, but some of the hesitation around Bienemy might be that it is hard to know how much say he has since Andy Reid is the coach. Doing it for another team that does not have an offensive-minded HC would help that. But I agree, not likely to happen.
Forget  
mitch300 : 1/15/2020 12:47 pm : link
About Reid. Letís be honest, having one of the best QBís in the league and one of the best tight ends sure helps. Iím not saying he isnít good at his job. However, was it bieniemy or Mahomes that threw the TDís.
Bienemy Not Getting a HC job  
LTIsTheGreatest : 1/15/2020 1:45 pm : link
had Stepen A Smith absolutely screaming RACISM last week. Man I really thought he was going to blow a gasket on the air
Not calling the plays is plus for me  
arniefez : 1/15/2020 3:01 pm : link
I have no idea why he hasn't been hired by a team as HC and I won't ever listen to anything troll Smith says.

But the facts are there are few African Americans HCs there are fewer African American front office people and there are zero African American owners.

African American HCs rarely get a second hire. High draft pick African American QBs rarely get a 2nd chance/team.

The numbers don't lie.

This is from the Athletic from about 10 days ago:

Quote:
In 100 years of NFL football, only five minority coaches have been hired with backgrounds in coaching offense.

In 2019, there were two African-American offensive coordinators, the position generally looked to as the precursor to a head coaching job, and there were two quarterback coaches, the job that provides a path to becoming a coordinator.

Only one of the minority coordinators calls plays, another perceived prerequisite among NFL owners and general managers.

Those numbers ó five, two and one ó illustrate the difficulty minority coaches face in trying to advance in a league where the players are 69 percent minority but the coaches are 70 percent Caucasian.
RE: The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
Darth Paul : 1/15/2020 3:30 pm : link
In comment 14779993 Brown Recluse said:
Quote:
Who also happens to be black.


I doubt, you mean we hit our quota. I am tired of the Giants being Racists. We were racist when we drafted Jones over Haskins. Racist when we hired a white guy. I hope Judge brings in as many qualified men of color to be assistants and position coaches. If they succeed it will open doors in the NFL.
RE: RE: The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
Brown Recluse : 1/15/2020 3:32 pm : link
In comment 14780739 Darth Paul said:
Quote:
In comment 14779993 Brown Recluse said:


Quote:


Who also happens to be black.



I doubt, you mean we hit our quota. I am tired of the Giants being Racists. We were racist when we drafted Jones over Haskins. Racist when we hired a white guy. I hope Judge brings in as many qualified men of color to be assistants and position coaches. If they succeed it will open doors in the NFL.


It was a joke. I don't believe the Giants are racist.
RE: RE: The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
Klaatu : 1/15/2020 3:34 pm : link
In comment 14780739 Darth Paul said:
Quote:
In comment 14779993 Brown Recluse said:


Quote:


Who also happens to be black.



I doubt, you mean we hit our quota. I am tired of the Giants being Racists. We were racist when we drafted Jones over Haskins. Racist when we hired a white guy. I hope Judge brings in as many qualified men of color to be assistants and position coaches. If they succeed it will open doors in the NFL.


Were we racist when we kept Jerry Reese (and Marc Ross) around about five years longer than we should have?
RE: RE: RE: The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
Darth Paul : 1/15/2020 8:16 pm : link
In comment 14780746 Klaatu said:
Quote:
In comment 14780739 Darth Paul said:


Quote:


In comment 14779993 Brown Recluse said:


Quote:


Who also happens to be black.



I doubt, you mean we hit our quota. I am tired of the Giants being Racists. We were racist when we drafted Jones over Haskins. Racist when we hired a white guy. I hope Judge brings in as many qualified men of color to be assistants and position coaches. If they succeed it will open doors in the NFL.



Were we racist when we kept Jerry Reese (and Marc Ross) around about five years longer than we should have?


Exactly my point. The media seems to always forget that.
RE: Bienemy Not Getting a HC job  
OC2.0 : 1/16/2020 2:34 am : link
In comment 14780538 LTIsTheGreatest said:
Quote:
had Stepen A Smith absolutely screaming RACISM last week. Man I really thought he was going to blow a gasket on the air

Lol, that guy's the biggest buffoon in sports journalism. He also shouldn't be going on about racism either.
RE: RE: RE: The Giants already hired an assistant head coach.  
eclipz928 : 1/16/2020 6:50 am : link
In comment 14780746 Klaatu said:
Quote:
In comment 14780739 Darth Paul said:


Quote:


In comment 14779993 Brown Recluse said:


Quote:


Who also happens to be black.



I doubt, you mean we hit our quota. I am tired of the Giants being Racists. We were racist when we drafted Jones over Haskins. Racist when we hired a white guy. I hope Judge brings in as many qualified men of color to be assistants and position coaches. If they succeed it will open doors in the NFL.



Were we racist when we kept Jerry Reese (and Marc Ross) around about five years longer than we should have?
5 years too long? Do you mean that the Giants should have fired the GM after the 2012 season - a year where the team started the season with a 6-2 record and was just a year removed from having won the Super Bowl? Do you actually mean that?
Back to the Corner