for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Golden Knights fire HC Gerard Gallant and hire Pete DeBoer

Anakim : 1/15/2020 10:54 am
This is an absolute shocker. A true shocker.

The Golden Knights are three years old. They made the Stanley Cup Finals in their first year; made the playoffs in their second year; and are only 3 points from first place in their division this year. Something must be up.



There are some REALLY, REALLY good head coaches on the market. Gallant, Laviolette, Babcock...
WOW!  
Jints in Carolina : 1/15/2020 10:55 am : link
They don't fuck around in Vegas.
Geez  
figgy2989 : 1/15/2020 10:56 am : link
How many is this up to now? I can't ever remember a time where they have been so many coaches fired in season.

DeBoer is such a "blah" hire. Aside from his first season in New Jersey where he went to the cup finals, what has he accomplished in the NHL?

I hope the Devils move quickly  
Jay on the Island : 1/15/2020 11:01 am : link
They should hire either Gallant or Laviolette as their new HC. Unless there is something we don't know about behind the scenes with Gallant the Devils would be crazy not to bring him in.
RE: Geez  
Jay on the Island : 1/15/2020 11:02 am : link
In comment 14780176 figgy2989 said:
Quote:
How many is this up to now? I can't ever remember a time where they have been so many coaches fired in season.

DeBoer is such a "blah" hire. Aside from his first season in New Jersey where he went to the cup finals, what has he accomplished in the NHL?

I don't get the love affair with Gallant either.
As an Islander fan...  
Metnut : 1/15/2020 11:02 am : link
I sure hope the Rangers or Devils don't hire this guy.
RE: As an Islander fan...  
Anakim : 1/15/2020 11:03 am : link
In comment 14780186 Metnut said:
Quote:
I sure hope the Rangers or Devils don't hire this guy.


Why would the Rangers fire Quinn?
RE: Geez  
John In CO : 1/15/2020 11:08 am : link
In comment 14780176 figgy2989 said:
Quote:
How many is this up to now? I can't ever remember a time where they have been so many coaches fired in season.

DeBoer is such a "blah" hire. Aside from his first season in New Jersey where he went to the cup finals, what has he accomplished in the NHL?


He had some very good years with the Sharks, with a trip to the finals one year and the Conf Championship last year. Things obviously fell apart there this year.
The Wild, Red Wings and PJ's Canadians could use HCs  
Anakim : 1/15/2020 11:08 am : link
Devils and Stars have interim head coaches.
Pretty unfair  
Kyle in NY : 1/15/2020 11:09 am : link
Crazy season for NHL coaches
The Devils should move fast here  
Jay on the Island : 1/15/2020 11:15 am : link
The Stars will likely show interest in Gallant.
RE: RE: As an Islander fan...  
Greg from LI : 1/15/2020 11:18 am : link
In comment 14780187 Anakim said:
Quote:
Why would the Rangers fire Quinn?


Because he's terrible
RE: RE: RE: As an Islander fan...  
Anakim : 1/15/2020 11:20 am : link
In comment 14780223 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 14780187 Anakim said:


Quote:


Why would the Rangers fire Quinn?



Because he's terrible


I wouldn't say he's terrible. He's nothing special, but he's not terrible. I'd say he's middle of the pack.
Gallant was chosen to be the Pacific Division Coach for the All-Star  
Anakim : 1/15/2020 11:28 am : link
Game...
think about how bad the Rangers would be if....  
Greg from LI : 1/15/2020 11:33 am : link
....Panarin had chosen the Islanders. His brilliance is the only reason the team has been good enough that people can tell themselves Quinn hasn't been terrible.
RE: think about how bad the Rangers would be if....  
Anakim : 1/15/2020 12:37 pm : link
In comment 14780249 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
....Panarin had chosen the Islanders. His brilliance is the only reason the team has been good enough that people can tell themselves Quinn hasn't been terrible.


Zibanejad? Strome is having a career year. Kreider is great (but he'll be gone soon). Chytil has been phenomenal.

The most worrisome to me at least is the the growth of Kakko. Too often he disappears in games and he's not putting up points.
Red Wings are a fucking dumpster fire  
Anakim : 1/15/2020 12:49 pm : link
They need all the help they can get. They should back up the truck for Gallant.
RE: Red Wings are a fucking dumpster fire  
Drewcon40 : 1/15/2020 12:51 pm : link
In comment 14780376 Anakim said:
Quote:
They need all the help they can get. They should back up the truck for Gallant.


He used to play for them in his playing days.
RE: RE: think about how bad the Rangers would be if....  
Mad Mike : 1/15/2020 1:32 pm : link
In comment 14780357 Anakim said:
Quote:
Zibanejad? Strome is having a career year.

Not sure those are compelling counterpoints against Panarin being very largely responsible for the team being anything but terrible.
RE: RE: RE: think about how bad the Rangers would be if....  
Anakim : 1/15/2020 1:34 pm : link
In comment 14780510 Mad Mike said:
Quote:
In comment 14780357 Anakim said:


Quote:


Zibanejad? Strome is having a career year.


Not sure those are compelling counterpoints against Panarin being very largely responsible for the team being anything but terrible.


Chytil doesn't play with Panarin. Zibanejad is also on a different line. Strome...maybe.
7th  
pjcas18 : 1/15/2020 1:40 pm : link
head coach fired in season this year.

Between the NHL's version of metoo and poor play I can't remember more coaches being fired in-season ever.

Count me in on the prayer session  
Stu11 : 1/15/2020 1:57 pm : link
To have the Devils gobble him up yesterday
Data isn't everything  
pjcas18 : 1/15/2020 3:07 pm : link
but I don't see this and say, "coaching change"

they're getting a lot of high danger scoring chances and not cashing in.

Brandon Holmes
@BHolmes_Hockey
4h
The Golden Knights' NHL ranks in the following categories:

xGF%: 2nd (54.84%)
CF%: 3rd (53.59%)
FF%: 2nd (53.65%)
SF%: 3rd (52.98%)
SCF%: 2nd (55.38%)

PDO: 28th (0.985)

They're closer to being the best team in the NHL than needing a coaching change. PDO, man. #VegasBorn
For the record  
pjcas18 : 1/15/2020 4:31 pm : link
I would absolutely, without hesitation, fire Claude Julien, a stanley cup winning coach, and replace him with Gallant immediately.

I don't think Gallant is the best coach per se, but he might immediately be the best available coach.
Vegas fans in shock, calling for McVeys head now the VP  
gtt350 : 1/15/2020 5:32 pm : link
for mis managing the cap and letting our glue and chemistry players go.
Bellamare, Haula, Perron and Neal
RE: For the record  
BrettNYG10 : 1/15/2020 5:34 pm : link
In comment 14780838 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
I would absolutely, without hesitation, fire Claude Julien, a stanley cup winning coach, and replace him with Gallant immediately.

I don't think Gallant is the best coach per se, but he might immediately be the best available coach.


You like him better than Laviolette?
Back to the Corner