Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

If it's Garrett, why the delay?

I Love Clams Casino : 1/17/2020 12:44 pm
I keep seeing "all but a done deal"...well then why isn't it a done deal yet?

Does Judge want an assistant from GB, San Fran, Tenn or KC perhaps?
Where have you seen anybody say  
Big Rick in FL : 1/17/2020 12:45 pm : link
It's all but a done deal?
Again  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/17/2020 12:47 pm : link
the only coach that has officially been hired is Joe Judge.

The Giants have not announced ANY other coach being hired. A few reports from media have said we have hired four coaches, but the Giants have not announced those.

The team has done a great job of plugging leaks.

My guess is most of the staff has already been hired.
If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
ron mexico : 1/17/2020 12:48 pm : link
If I do, I sit this year out.

Even if it is a done deal  
DavidinBMNY : 1/17/2020 12:48 pm : link
Unless Garrett or his agent leaks it, the Giants don't announce assistants individually - at least not usually.
I posted a thread similar to this  
5BowlsSoon : 1/17/2020 12:49 pm : link
Some believe it takes time to work out JGís contract.

I wasnít sure Judge was sold on either Shula or Garrett and was wondering if we would be hearing more interviews coming in. No one said what Linehan is being interviewed for so I wonder if it is for OC....heaven help us if it is.

Lastly, some wonder if he is waiting to interview someone from these final 4 teams. I am skeptical on this unless Judge has Andy Reidís word the Chiefs will permit Bieniemy to leave even though It is a lateral move.
RE: If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
bw in dc : 1/17/2020 12:50 pm : link
In comment 14783474 ron mexico said:
Quote:
If I do, I sit this year out.


He's going to be at the top of most lists next year.

Now, he may not ultimately get hired, but he's going to flying around the country taking interviews..
RE: I posted a thread similar to this  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/17/2020 12:51 pm : link
In comment 14783478 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
Some believe it takes time to work out JGís contract.

I wasnít sure Judge was sold on either Shula or Garrett and was wondering if we would be hearing more interviews coming in. No one said what Linehan is being interviewed for so I wonder if it is for OC....heaven help us if it is.

Lastly, some wonder if he is waiting to interview someone from these final 4 teams. I am skeptical on this unless Judge has Andy Reidís word the Chiefs will permit Bieniemy to leave even though It is a lateral move.


You worry too much. The signs are all pretty clear.
RE: I posted a thread similar to this  
Blue21 : 1/17/2020 12:52 pm : link
In comment 14783478 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
Some believe it takes time to work out JGís contract.

I wasnít sure Judge was sold on either Shula or Garrett and was wondering if we would be hearing more interviews coming in. No one said what Linehan is being interviewed for so I wonder if it is for OC....heaven help us if it is.

Lastly, some wonder if he is waiting to interview someone from these final 4 teams. I am skeptical on this unless Judge has Andy Reidís word the Chiefs will permit Bieniemy to leave even though It is a lateral move.


And maybe the JG contract has hit a snag and the Linehan interview is nothing but fog to speed up the process with JG.
RE: If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
5BowlsSoon : 1/17/2020 12:53 pm : link
In comment 14783474 ron mexico said:
Quote:
If I do, I sit this year out.


I canít imagine any team panting after JG to be their HC...possibly some small college team.

Think about it....the man was HC for 10 years and what has he accomplished as HC? Two lousy first round playoff wins. And look at the teams he has coached! Very talented players. No, JG will go down as an UNDERACHIEVING HC, plain and simple. Any team that wants him with that resume is pretty lame. Donít get me wrong, Iím sure he is a better OC and That he is a great guy to be around.....but the resume speaks for itself.
RE: If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
Metnut : 1/17/2020 12:55 pm : link
In comment 14783474 ron mexico said:
Quote:
If I do, I sit this year out.


He's not under contract so he doesn't get paid unless he works. An NFL OC position would be a pay cut for him but going from 100% to 50-60% of income (and still making a very high salary) is something that a lot of people aren't going to turn down.
RE: If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
jcn56 : 1/17/2020 12:55 pm : link
In comment 14783474 ron mexico said:
Quote:
If I do, I sit this year out.


LOL!
Giants usually  
blueblood : 1/17/2020 12:56 pm : link
announce all the assistant coach hires at once..
5Bowls  
Dr. D : 1/17/2020 12:59 pm : link
I agree. I think there's enough evidence to indicate Garrett is a really good coordinator, but not a great HC. Nothing wrong with that (just glad he wasn't our HC for 10 years).

Several really good coordinators weren't great HCs.
...  
BleedBlue : 1/17/2020 12:59 pm : link
maybe they want to look at lafleur, he is in SF
Probably still lobbying Jones  
jogo1 : 1/17/2020 1:00 pm : link
for the Cowboys HC job.
RE: Probably still lobbying Jones  
Nine-Tails : 1/17/2020 1:03 pm : link
In comment 14783501 jogo1 said:
Quote:
for the Cowboys HC job.


Lol.

Jerry: we hired McCarthy. He's signed.

Jason: now hold on. Hold on, let's not be hasty here
Like any CEO  
Mike in NY : 1/17/2020 1:06 pm : link
I think he is trying to put together the staffs that his coordinators want to work with so he does not have, for example, an OL coach working on skills that are useful in a zone blocking scheme and an OC that wants to run a power offense.
RE: I posted a thread similar to this  
Saquads26 : 1/17/2020 1:08 pm : link
In comment 14783478 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
Some believe it takes time to work out JGís contract.

I wasnít sure Judge was sold on either Shula or Garrett and was wondering if we would be hearing more interviews coming in. No one said what Linehan is being interviewed for so I wonder if it is for OC....heaven help us if it is.

Lastly, some wonder if he is waiting to interview someone from these final 4 teams. I am skeptical on this unless Judge has Andy Reidís word the Chiefs will permit Bieniemy to leave even though It is a lateral move.


Talk a walk. Maybe a Xanax too
Possibility that Garrett is hand picking most of his staff before the  
TMS : 1/17/2020 1:08 pm : link
annoncement is made so they can get it over with and start thinking about the draft , the bowl games and other matters. This town will nag you to death unless those things are divulged sooner rather than later.
I have a suspicion  
NikkiMac : 1/17/2020 1:09 pm : link
They're waiting on somebody on Tennessee or 49ers
RE: I have a suspicion  
BleedBlue : 1/17/2020 1:11 pm : link
In comment 14783515 NikkiMac said:
Quote:
They're waiting on somebody on Tennessee or 49ers


mike lafleur
In your fervent desires, no one is recognizing  
HomerJones45 : 1/17/2020 1:20 pm : link
the issues aligned against such a marriage:

- does Garrett, a HC for the last 9 years, want to wet nurse a rookie HC?

- the finances? Does JG want to work for what he is being offered?

- does Judge want an experienced HC hanging around and serving as another power center and HC in waiting if he fails, especially if as OC, Garrett gets input in hiring the AC's on the offensive side of the ball?

- was Garrett a Judge idea or a FO idea? If a FO idea, that would just reinforce the point above.

- has Garrett given up any aspirations of being a HC? If not, why bother having him for one year, two at the most before he gets a HC gig?

- does Garrett want to tie his reputation to a rookie HC on a rebuilding team? If Jones has a sophomore slump or the offense has a bad year, does he want the blame to hurt his chances of getting a HC gig?

I think there are enough questions and negatives that this is not going to happen which is reason enough to keep interviewing.

RE: If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
Racer : 1/17/2020 1:21 pm : link
In comment 14783474 ron mexico said:
Quote:
If I do, I sit this year out.


Heard more than 1x in recent days the suggestion that if he spent a year off studying the league and presenting his findings in 2020-2021 offseason interviews, it would improve his chances down the line of becoming a head coach again as opposed to taking a job now.
RE: Again  
Mdgiantsfan : 1/17/2020 1:23 pm : link
In comment 14783473 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
the only coach that has officially been hired is Joe Judge.

The Giants have not announced ANY other coach being hired. A few reports from media have said we have hired four coaches, but the Giants have not announced those.

The team has done a great job of plugging leaks.

My guess is most of the staff has already been hired.


Whatís the benefit of not announcing the hires?
RE: RE: If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
figgy2989 : 1/17/2020 1:24 pm : link
In comment 14783542 Racer said:
Quote:
In comment 14783474 ron mexico said:


Quote:


If I do, I sit this year out.




Heard more than 1x in recent days the suggestion that if he spent a year off studying the league and presenting his findings in 2020-2021 offseason interviews, it would improve his chances down the line of becoming a head coach again as opposed to taking a job now.


Maybe he could build a barn where he could binge eat and watch cartoons all day. Seemed to work for this guy:

Mdgiantsfan  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/17/2020 1:26 pm : link
If I recall correctly, the Giants always announce new staff coaching hires as a group (i.e., after McAdoo and Shumur were hired).
RE: RE: I have a suspicion  
Mike in NY : 1/17/2020 1:27 pm : link
In comment 14783519 BleedBlue said:
Quote:
In comment 14783515 NikkiMac said:


Quote:


They're waiting on somebody on Tennessee or 49ers



mike lafleur


The ties to Judge are a little more attenuated than with Garrett. While Garrett and Judge both worked under Nick Saban at different points, LaFleur worked on Dan Quinn's staff and Dan Quinn once coached for Nick Saban. Not to mention, LaFleur's ties are more with Kyle Shanahan than with Dan Quinn. They worked together in Cleveland and Shanahan brought him to Atlanta when he worked for Quinn.
RE: Mdgiantsfan  
Mdgiantsfan : 1/17/2020 1:33 pm : link
In comment 14783552 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
If I recall correctly, the Giants always announce new staff coaching hires as a group (i.e., after McAdoo and Shumur were hired).


Gotcha 👍🏾
All of..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/17/2020 1:52 pm : link
the rumored coaches are probably reluctant to work with Mara and Gettleman, so they need to come in and have face-to-face interviews with ownership and the front office to confirm their suspicions.

Jints Central will be breaking new ground this year. Judge will serve all coaching roles because he can't find any other professionals to work with anyone else!!
RE: All of..  
Klaatu : 1/17/2020 1:56 pm : link
In comment 14783604 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
the rumored coaches are probably reluctant to work with Mara and Gettleman, so they need to come in and have face-to-face interviews with ownership and the front office to confirm their suspicions.

Jints Central will be breaking new ground this year. Judge will serve all coaching roles because he can't find any other professionals to work with anyone else!!


They need to run a background check on all of the candidates. Right now they're all at Prints Central.
why would Garrett interview here  
Dr. D : 1/17/2020 2:00 pm : link
if he wasn't interested in being the OC? I guess a front office position is possible, but the most obvious answer is OC.

Plenty of unemployed former HCs have gone back to coordinating.

I guess it's also possible JG was on the fence about taking a year off vs. being Giants OC and only time will tell..

the suspense is killing me!

RE: Again  
Mike in Long Beach : 1/17/2020 2:15 pm : link
In comment 14783473 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
the only coach that has officially been hired is Joe Judge.

The Giants have not announced ANY other coach being hired. A few reports from media have said we have hired four coaches, but the Giants have not announced those.

The team has done a great job of plugging leaks.

My guess is most of the staff has already been hired.


Lol what? How have they done job plugging leaks if all the coaching information we have has come from reporters and not the team?
Mike in Long Beach  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/17/2020 2:16 pm : link
Because we've only heard about four of the vacancies. That's completely different than the past.
Has Garrett  
Thegratefulhead : 1/17/2020 2:17 pm : link
Interviewed anywhere else since he was here? That would be telling.
If you say so 🤷  
Mike in Long Beach : 1/17/2020 2:18 pm : link
RE: Has Garrett  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/17/2020 2:18 pm : link
In comment 14783658 Thegratefulhead said:
Quote:
Interviewed anywhere else since he was here? That would be telling.


No.
RE: All of..  
figgy2989 : 1/17/2020 2:19 pm : link
In comment 14783604 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:


Jints Central will be breaking new ground this year. Judge will serve all coaching roles because he can't find any other professionals to work with anyone else!!


Or the new spin that Jason Garrett is too good to be the Giants OC since he will just leave next year anyway.

Gotta love how bw's mind works, if the Giants don't get Garrett he would find a way to blame DG or say this is the type of hire that was forced on Judge. Now that appears likely we might get Garrett, he has created a new narrative to use all year that the hiring of Garrett will be a mistake because he will be gone next year and DJ will have to learn a whole new offense.



RE: RE: If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
ron mexico : 1/17/2020 2:21 pm : link
In comment 14783542 Racer said:
Quote:
In comment 14783474 ron mexico said:


Quote:


If I do, I sit this year out.




Heard more than 1x in recent days the suggestion that if he spent a year off studying the league and presenting his findings in 2020-2021 offseason interviews, it would improve his chances down the line of becoming a head coach again as opposed to taking a job now.


Not only that, there is little upside and lots of downside to taking an OC job for the purpose of improving his HC chances. Teams arenít hiring JG because he is an offense whiz kid, they are hiring him for his exec presence. Even if the Giants start scoring like the chiefs, it will only improve his standing slightly. Then there is the chance we are in the playoffs and he misses the hiring window.

Worst case scenario the O regresses and he get the blame and is no longer a candidate.

Difference between Garrett sitting out and any other fired HCs is that  
Ivan15 : 1/17/2020 2:52 pm : link
Garrett isnít getting paid to sit. He may feel more obliged to work.

If he sits, he may jump at the first position that opens up early in the season.
Has anyone ever been an in-season HC hire while being an OC for  
Ivan15 : 1/17/2020 2:57 pm : link
Another team? I donít remember if that has ever happened or if that is even allowed!
Doesnít matter whether he does well as an OC or lousy  
Big Blue '56 : 1/17/2020 3:04 pm : link
an an OC. Heís been both, at times, imv.

Sitting out the year wonít raise his stock or improve his chances. He is who he is personality-wise. Heís not changing per se. What youíve seen is what youíll get. If thatís desirable, he will receive a HC offer(s).
RE: Difference between Garrett sitting out and any other fired HCs is that  
Reale01 : 1/17/2020 3:10 pm : link
In comment 14783719 Ivan15 said:
Quote:
Garrett isnít getting paid to sit. He may feel more obliged to work.

If he sits, he may jump at the first position that opens up early in the season.


Good point. Lots of guys who sit are getting paid.

Also, the young QB coach (or someone else we hire) will likely be told that they will be an OC in training knowing that Garrett will likely leave in a year or two.

Really makes sense for Garrett. The Giants have some talent on offense. A good chance to look good and make a splash.
.  
Bill2 : 1/17/2020 3:11 pm : link
If we are in speculation land its also possible that his wife ( graduate of Harvard Law School) doesn't want to move around from city to city every year or two years. Many people who have choices don't. We don't know

She could be interviewing here in NYC and or trying to see if there is a house they can settle in. We don't know.

Its also possible that there are trailing attorney to attorney issues with some non compete and confidentiality clauses on his contract from Dallas. We don't know. We don't really think Jerry Jones would give up a chance to be the center of attention if meddling was possible/

Could be he and the Giants have some clauses they need the NFL office to review and approve. We don't know

Could be in the total team no one bigger than the next culture JJ wants that they want to announce all of them at once. We don't know

What's different from the Reese/Ross years is that the leaks from the Giants during FA and pre draft seem to have gone down and if that gains us advantage here and there...good.




RE: Doesnít matter whether he does well as an OC or lousy  
ron mexico : 1/17/2020 3:33 pm : link
In comment 14783733 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
an an OC. Heís been both, at times, imv.

Sitting out the year wonít raise his stock or improve his chances. He is who he is personality-wise. Heís not changing per se. What youíve seen is what youíll get. If thatís desirable, he will receive a HC offer(s).


This is kinda my point. Siting out keeps him where he is. Taking a job as an OC is more likely to decrease his value than increase it IMV.

But this is all speculation, who know what he or the giants are thinking at this point. Just killing some time playing the if I were in his shoes game.
RE: RE: I posted a thread similar to this  
5BowlsSoon : 1/17/2020 3:59 pm : link
In comment 14783482 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
In comment 14783478 5BowlsSoon said:


Quote:


Some believe it takes time to work out JGís contract.

I wasnít sure Judge was sold on either Shula or Garrett and was wondering if we would be hearing more interviews coming in. No one said what Linehan is being interviewed for so I wonder if it is for OC....heaven help us if it is.

Lastly, some wonder if he is waiting to interview someone from these final 4 teams. I am skeptical on this unless Judge has Andy Reidís word the Chiefs will permit Bieniemy to leave even though It is a lateral move.



You worry too much. The signs are all pretty clear.


I agree, this OC selection has me in a tizzy....but what happened to BIG FRIDAY? The Giants could have helped us all sleep easier this weekend by announcing the coaches today......but it appears they are not interested in easing our pain or calming our fears.
5BowlsSoon  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/17/2020 4:15 pm : link
Easing your fears?

Coaching staff is all finalized  
micky : 1/17/2020 4:22 pm : link
.
RE: Coaching staff is all finalized  
Saquads26 : 1/17/2020 4:25 pm : link
In comment 14783844 micky said:
Quote:
.


...?
RE: RE: Doesnít matter whether he does well as an OC or lousy  
Big Blue '56 : 1/17/2020 4:36 pm : link
In comment 14783761 ron mexico said:
Quote:
In comment 14783733 Big Blue '56 said:


Quote:


an an OC. Heís been both, at times, imv.

Sitting out the year wonít raise his stock or improve his chances. He is who he is personality-wise. Heís not changing per se. What youíve seen is what youíll get. If thatís desirable, he will receive a HC offer(s).



This is kinda my point. Siting out keeps him where he is. Taking a job as an OC is more likely to decrease his value than increase it IMV.

But this is all speculation, who know what he or the giants are thinking at this point. Just killing some time playing the if I were in his shoes game.


Understood
RE: In your fervent desires, no one is recognizing  
joe48 : 1/17/2020 4:48 pm : link
In comment 14783538 HomerJones45 said:
Quote:
the issues aligned against such a marriage:

- does Garrett, a HC for the last 9 years, want to wet nurse a rookie HC?

- the finances? Does JG want to work for what he is being offered?

- does Judge want an experienced HC hanging around and serving as another power center and HC in waiting if he fails, especially if as OC, Garrett gets input in hiring the AC's on the offensive side of the ball?

- was Garrett a Judge idea or a FO idea? If a FO idea, that would just reinforce the point above.

- has Garrett given up any aspirations of being a HC? If not, why bother having him for one year, two at the most before he gets a HC gig?

- does Garrett want to tie his reputation to a rookie HC on a rebuilding team? If Jones has a sophomore slump or the offense has a bad year, does he want the blame to hurt his chances of getting a HC gig?

I think there are enough questions and negatives that this is not going to happen which is reason enough to keep interviewing.
Agree. I donít remember anyone praising Garrettís expertise as a OC.
RE: RE: If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
GloryDayz : 1/17/2020 6:01 pm : link
In comment 14783485 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
In comment 14783474 ron mexico said:


Quote:


If I do, I sit this year out.




I canít imagine any team panting after JG to be their HC...possibly some small college team.

Think about it....the man was HC for 10 years and what has he accomplished as HC? Two lousy first round playoff wins. And look at the teams he has coached! Very talented players. No, JG will go down as an UNDERACHIEVING HC, plain and simple. Any team that wants him with that resume is pretty lame. Donít get me wrong, Iím sure he is a better OC and That he is a great guy to be around.....but the resume speaks for itself.


He'll get interviews, & if they like him enough they'll convince themselves Jones held him back by taking away his authority.
RE: RE: If Iím JG Iím deciding if I want to be a HC again  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 1/17/2020 6:56 pm : link
In comment 14783485 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
In comment 14783474 ron mexico said:


Quote:


If I do, I sit this year out.




I canít imagine any team panting after JG to be their HC...possibly some small college team.

Think about it....the man was HC for 10 years and what has he accomplished as HC? Two lousy first round playoff wins. And look at the teams he has coached! Very talented players. No, JG will go down as an UNDERACHIEVING HC, plain and simple. Any team that wants him with that resume is pretty lame. Donít get me wrong, Iím sure he is a better OC and That he is a great guy to be around.....but the resume speaks for itself.



I'm of the opinion that those rosters were good but often overrated. The popular opinion of any given player tends to balloon as as soon as they put a star on their helmet.
Where is the evidence  
latichever : 1/17/2020 7:05 pm : link
that Garrett is some kind of offense genius?
Back to the Corner