for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

interesting that Graham gets asst. HC title and Garrett does

CMicks3110 : 1/17/2020 10:08 pm
not. That's official btw, just posted on Giants twitter.
Probably needed  
bronxct1 : 1/17/2020 10:19 pm : link
Thatís probably how they got Miami to give permission to interview Graham.
Graham  
Rflairr : 1/17/2020 10:20 pm : link
had to get the promotion with the lateral move
Remember this:  
Optimus-NY : 1/17/2020 10:20 pm : link
Graham's move was a parallel move, whereas Gsrrett's wasn't (he was also a free agent as of the expiration of his contract on Jan. 14th). That title may have been necessary in order for Graham to come.
RE: Graham  
djstat : 1/17/2020 10:42 pm : link
In comment 14784289 Rflairr said:
Quote:
had to get the promotion with the lateral move
No he did not. Dolphins granted permission. End of story
So does that mean that if Judge were to get really sick  
Blue Dream : 1/17/2020 10:43 pm : link
or have to miss a game due to a family emergency that Grahm would have to be HC that week? I think Garrett would be a much better option in that scenario
RE: RE: Graham  
Leg of Theismann : 1/17/2020 10:54 pm : link
In comment 14784317 djstat said:
Quote:
In comment 14784289 Rflairr said:


Quote:


had to get the promotion with the lateral move

No he did not. Dolphins granted permission. End of story


How do you know they didn't include "assistant HC" as part of the position he was interviewing for, hence forcing Miami's hand in giving permission? Do you know for sure?
Asst. Head coach  
TrueBlue56 : 1/17/2020 10:56 pm : link
Is just a title. It may get graham recognized more around the league just as bill belichick felt giving joe judge the title of WR coach would elevate his coaching resume.

Jason garrett and Graham will have a lot of input and will have joe judges ear
RE: RE: Graham  
Leg of Theismann : 1/17/2020 11:01 pm : link
In comment 14784317 djstat said:
Quote:
In comment 14784289 Rflairr said:


Quote:


had to get the promotion with the lateral move

No he did not. Dolphins granted permission. End of story


Just making sure: you do realize that a team always has to "grant permission" for one of their coaches to be interviewed even if they are interviewing for a HC position? There needs to be a permission granted regardless of the position being interviewed for. So just because the Dolphins "granted permission" doesn't mean anything one way or another. The only point to consider is that if it was for a lateral move the Dolphins would have had a right to deny permission (just as the Bills did with Daboll), but when it's for a "promotion" then they have to grant permission. It's kind of a funny situation when they are basically "forced to grant permission" but that's just how it is.
RE: RE: RE: Graham  
Big Rick in FL : 1/17/2020 11:04 pm : link
In comment 14784327 Leg of Theismann said:
Quote:
In comment 14784317 djstat said:


Quote:


In comment 14784289 Rflairr said:


Quote:


had to get the promotion with the lateral move

No he did not. Dolphins granted permission. End of story



How do you know they didn't include "assistant HC" as part of the position he was interviewing for, hence forcing Miami's hand in giving permission? Do you know for sure?



Why do you think giving him that title would force Miami's hand?
RE: RE: RE: Graham  
Big Rick in FL : 1/17/2020 11:06 pm : link
In comment 14784340 Leg of Theismann said:
Quote:
In comment 14784317 djstat said:


Quote:


In comment 14784289 Rflairr said:


Quote:


had to get the promotion with the lateral move

No he did not. Dolphins granted permission. End of story



Just making sure: you do realize that a team always has to "grant permission" for one of their coaches to be interviewed even if they are interviewing for a HC position? There needs to be a permission granted regardless of the position being interviewed for. So just because the Dolphins "granted permission" doesn't mean anything one way or another. The only point to consider is that if it was for a lateral move the Dolphins would have had a right to deny permission (just as the Bills did with Daboll), but when it's for a "promotion" then they have to grant permission. It's kind of a funny situation when they are basically "forced to grant permission" but that's just how it is.


The move for Graham from Miami to the Giants was a lateral move. Even with the assistant head coaching title it's not considered a promotion. All coordinators and position coaches are considered lateral move. The only promotion is a HC.
Do you want to bet on who is paid more?  
Ivan15 : 1/17/2020 11:27 pm : link
.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Graham  
Leg of Theismann : 1/17/2020 11:50 pm : link
In comment 14784344 Big Rick in FL said:
Quote:
In comment 14784340 Leg of Theismann said:


Quote:


In comment 14784317 djstat said:


Quote:


In comment 14784289 Rflairr said:


Quote:


had to get the promotion with the lateral move

No he did not. Dolphins granted permission. End of story



Just making sure: you do realize that a team always has to "grant permission" for one of their coaches to be interviewed even if they are interviewing for a HC position? There needs to be a permission granted regardless of the position being interviewed for. So just because the Dolphins "granted permission" doesn't mean anything one way or another. The only point to consider is that if it was for a lateral move the Dolphins would have had a right to deny permission (just as the Bills did with Daboll), but when it's for a "promotion" then they have to grant permission. It's kind of a funny situation when they are basically "forced to grant permission" but that's just how it is.



The move for Graham from Miami to the Giants was a lateral move. Even with the assistant head coaching title it's not considered a promotion. All coordinators and position coaches are considered lateral move. The only promotion is a HC.


Was this BBI news and/or explanation that I missed? Where did you see/hear that? I thought Asst. HC is a promotion. The rules explicitly state HC is the only "promotion" from OC/DC?
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Graham  
Big Rick in FL : 1/18/2020 6:45 am : link
In comment 14784368 Leg of Theismann said:
Quote:
In comment 14784344 Big Rick in FL said:


Quote:


In comment 14784340 Leg of Theismann said:


Quote:


In comment 14784317 djstat said:


Quote:


In comment 14784289 Rflairr said:


Quote:


had to get the promotion with the lateral move

No he did not. Dolphins granted permission. End of story



Just making sure: you do realize that a team always has to "grant permission" for one of their coaches to be interviewed even if they are interviewing for a HC position? There needs to be a permission granted regardless of the position being interviewed for. So just because the Dolphins "granted permission" doesn't mean anything one way or another. The only point to consider is that if it was for a lateral move the Dolphins would have had a right to deny permission (just as the Bills did with Daboll), but when it's for a "promotion" then they have to grant permission. It's kind of a funny situation when they are basically "forced to grant permission" but that's just how it is.



The move for Graham from Miami to the Giants was a lateral move. Even with the assistant head coaching title it's not considered a promotion. All coordinators and position coaches are considered lateral move. The only promotion is a HC.



Was this BBI news and/or explanation that I missed? Where did you see/hear that? I thought Asst. HC is a promotion. The rules explicitly state HC is the only "promotion" from OC/DC?


Multiple beat writers have wrote about it. Yes the only promotion is to head coach. Position coach to coordinator isn't a promotion. A coordinator to assistant head coach also isn't a promotion.
You guys like to get hung up on Meaningless titles  
ZogZerg : 1/18/2020 7:44 am : link
wow
You guy are getting too hung up on policy  
ron mexico : 1/18/2020 8:37 am : link
the league policy for interview request protocol is one thing.

But moving from position coach to OC or OC to OC/ahc carries more responsibility and probably more $$, Whether you call that a promotion or just a better job is just semantics.
RE: You guy are getting too hung up on policy  
Big Rick in FL : 1/18/2020 8:45 am : link
In comment 14784457 ron mexico said:
Quote:
the league policy for interview request protocol is one thing.

But moving from position coach to OC or OC to OC/ahc carries more responsibility and probably more $$, Whether you call that a promotion or just a better job is just semantics.


Just pointing out that the NFL doesn't consider it a promotion. So teams don't have to grant interview requests unless it is a promotion to HC.
RE: RE: RE: Graham  
fireitup77 : 1/18/2020 9:39 am : link
In comment 14784340 Leg of Theismann said:
Quote:
In comment 14784317 djstat said:


Quote:


In comment 14784289 Rflairr said:


Quote:


had to get the promotion with the lateral move

No he did not. Dolphins granted permission. End of story



Just making sure: you do realize that a team always has to "grant permission" for one of their coaches to be interviewed even if they are interviewing for a HC position? There needs to be a permission granted regardless of the position being interviewed for. So just because the Dolphins "granted permission" doesn't mean anything one way or another. The only point to consider is that if it was for a lateral move the Dolphins would have had a right to deny permission (just as the Bills did with Daboll), but when it's for a "promotion" then they have to grant permission. It's kind of a funny situation when they are basically "forced to grant permission" but that's just how it is.


Not anymore. All assistant coaches need permission even if it is for a promotion. Phili blocked Spags from us the year prior to us hiring him as DC.
Back to the Corner