for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Jack Conlin's option not picked up

sphinx : 1/20/2020 3:05 pm
Erik Bacharach @ErikBacharach

RT Jack Conklin: In a perfect world, says heís love to be back with the Titans. Conklin didnít have his fifth-year option picked up.

2:52pm ∑ 20 Jan 2020

Wasn't this already known?  
figgy2989 : 1/20/2020 3:07 pm : link
The Titans declined the 5th year option prior to the season.

---  
sphinx : 1/20/2020 3:08 pm : link
Art Stapleton @art_stapleton
Mega bucks if Conklin hits the market, and 1925 Giants Drive should be at the front of the line

We knew that.  
Big Blue '56 : 1/20/2020 3:08 pm : link
Probably because, going into this past season, his knee was a concern. He did play all 16 games and by all (?) accounts he played rather well.

Question NOW is, do they tag him if necessary?
Ö  
okayrene : 1/20/2020 3:09 pm : link
I'm probably in the minority here but I'd hate for the Giants to continue spending big chunks of cap on more OL. Would rather see them continue to bring in talent through the draft, it seems like drafting OL/DL is DG's strength.
This was decided back on May 1st  
Pete in MD : 1/20/2020 3:10 pm : link
per league rules.
Link - ( New Window )
Titans have four key FAs  
Stratman : 1/20/2020 3:11 pm : link
Tannehill, Henry, Conklin and Logan Ryan. Doubtful they keep more than two.
Okeyreyne  
SLIM_ : 1/20/2020 3:13 pm : link
agree completely.
Doesnít he have  
BigBlueDownTheShore : 1/20/2020 3:13 pm : link
Multiple concussion issues?
I hear the Titans might draft Conklin  
jlukes : 1/20/2020 3:13 pm : link
.
RE: We knew that.  
Jay on the Island : 1/20/2020 3:14 pm : link
In comment 14787227 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
Probably because, going into this past season, his knee was a concern. He did play all 16 games and by all (?) accounts he played rather well.

Question NOW is, do they tag him if necessary?

It's not likely that they will tag him with Derrick Henry and Tannehill also becoming FA's. They might decide to franchise Henry and then try to sign Tannehill and Conklin to extensions.
Conklin is the ideal RT  
Rjanyg : 1/20/2020 3:18 pm : link
And we can also get a young cost controlled OT with the 4th overall pick or the 36th pick. Nick Gates may also be looked at as the starter there. There are lots of options. I would hope the Gettlemen looks to bring in a viable Center. McGovern from Denver seems like a good target. The Halapio experiment needs to be over.
i dont think we should spend money on him  
Platos : 1/20/2020 3:29 pm : link
idk, just seems like we should draft a good tackle and let him take his lumps at RT before moving to LT, then hopefully by the time solder is gone we'll have another tackle drafted who can start at RT.
RE: Conklin is the ideal RT  
SirLoinOfBeef : 1/20/2020 3:32 pm : link
In comment 14787243 Rjanyg said:
Quote:
And we can also get a young cost controlled OT with the 4th overall pick or the 36th pick. Nick Gates may also be looked at as the starter there. There are lots of options. I would hope the Gettlemen looks to bring in a viable Center. McGovern from Denver seems like a good target. The Halapio experiment needs to be over.


Agree 100% on McGovern. That signing will probably be upwards of $40 mil/4 years alone. But too important of a position to trust to a rookie right now. Been too long since we had a decent center.

Maybe move Solder to RT? He's played it before in NE. Can't cut him now, too much dead $$. I'd like a LT in the draft. With a slight trade down of course...
If I were running the Titans  
DonQuixote : 1/20/2020 3:37 pm : link
I'd let Tannehill explore FA before Conklin
Titans got as far as they did  
Rory : 1/20/2020 3:46 pm : link
because of their running game and offensive line.

If they are not picking up Conklins option there has to be a reason.
RE: Ö  
eric2425ny : 1/20/2020 3:48 pm : link
In comment 14787229 okayrene said:
Quote:
I'm probably in the minority here but I'd hate for the Giants to continue spending big chunks of cap on more OL. Would rather see them continue to bring in talent through the draft, it seems like drafting OL/DL is DG's strength.


Agreed. If Conklin had a history of being healthy Iíd be more open to breaking the bank for him. But heís been injured quite a bit in his young career, hence the Titans not picking up his 5th year option. Based on past trends, players who get hurt a lot in their early career tend to continue that pattern. Iíd keep building through the draft if I was Gettleman.
Didn't Conkln commit a few OL errors in  
NYRiese : 1/20/2020 4:30 pm : link
the champion ship game?
Maybe he's prone and thats why Titans are not picking up the option.
RE: If I were running the Titans  
BlueLou'sBack : 1/20/2020 4:32 pm : link
In comment 14787254 DonQuixote said:
Quote:
I'd let Tannehill explore FA before Conklin


This!
RE: Titans got as far as they did  
Big Blue '56 : 1/20/2020 4:37 pm : link
In comment 14787260 Rory said:
Quote:
because of their running game and offensive line.

If they are not picking up Conklins option there has to be a reason.


Except, this was decided BEFORE the current season, long before anyone knew theyíd be serious contenders.
And at THAT point,  
Big Blue '56 : 1/20/2020 4:38 pm : link
they werenít sure of his knee stuff
I would look  
Pete in MD : 1/20/2020 4:44 pm : link
at Germain Ifedi too. He's another 25 year old RT who's 5th option was declined. He's a bit smaller but has no injury history, started 47 of 48 games the past three years. Like Conklin, his play has been inconsistent.
Gettleman will want to build this OL without too much youth  
Pheonix Orion : 1/20/2020 4:51 pm : link
Getting a vet LT will likely be tough as Castonzo is either retiring or staying with Colts. Not many others will be available.

A rookie LT usually takes time to get up to speed unless you find a rare advanced prospect from the college ranks.

Center is your line caller, he may target a vet here.

RT could be Nick Gates.

I don't think he is messing with his two own picks in Hernendez and Zietler at OG.

Best current guess:

Rookie (or Solder with Rookie taking over a few games in)- Hernendez- Vet FA- Zietler- Gates or Vet FA
RE: And at THAT point,  
Diver_Down : 1/20/2020 5:12 pm : link
In comment 14787305 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
they werenít sure of his knee stuff


Not just about concern with his knee, but rather his draft slotting. Players picked in the Top 10 has their 5th year option calculated equal to the average of the Top 10 highest prior year salaries at their position. But when it comes to OL, they are all the same as it pertains to the calculation. So essentially, the LT position is typically the highest paid OL and a RT would have his 5th year option based on the salaries of LTs. We will likely see this play out with Quenton Nelson as he is a guard selected in the Top 10. When it comes to picking up his 5th year option, he'll receive LT money.
RE: Ö  
TommyWiseau : 1/20/2020 5:28 pm : link
In comment 14787229 okayrene said:
Quote:
I'm probably in the minority here but I'd hate for the Giants to continue spending big chunks of cap on more OL. Would rather see them continue to bring in talent through the draft, it seems like drafting OL/DL is DG's strength.


Yeah we are better off signing a few players like Bethea, Kareem Martin and Omameh for a combined 15 mil a year then signing one good player for 15 a year
RE: If I were running the Titans  
djm : 1/20/2020 7:10 pm : link
In comment 14787254 DonQuixote said:
Quote:
I'd let Tannehill explore FA before Conklin


Which means youíd let Tannehill walk. The second he hits UFA heís going to get a monster contract offer from desperate team.
RE: RE: Ö  
djm : 1/20/2020 7:12 pm : link
In comment 14787369 TommyWiseau said:
Quote:
In comment 14787229 okayrene said:


Quote:


I'm probably in the minority here but I'd hate for the Giants to continue spending big chunks of cap on more OL. Would rather see them continue to bring in talent through the draft, it seems like drafting OL/DL is DG's strength.



Yeah we are better off signing a few players like Bethea, Kareem Martin and Omameh for a combined 15 mil a year then signing one good player for 15 a year


Yea itís not that simple. Where was this canít miss 15 million a year player? Not to mention the guaranteed money youíre leaving out. Forget annual loot.
A few points  
WillVAB : 1/20/2020 7:21 pm : link
If the Giants just rely on the draft to fix the team, theyíll never fix what needs to be fixed. Look at the trades and FA acquisitions the niners made to turn their team around. You have to take calculated risks in the market.

Conklin is a damn good RT and worth every penny in FA. Hopefully the Giants land him. Heís an all-pro caliber RT run blocking and in pass pro. Guys at his age with his ability rarely hit FA.

In terms of money allocation for the OL, Solder is very cuttable after 20. I expect a young, cheap player to take over in 21. Paying 2-3 guys good money along the OL at any given time is very reasonable.

The Giants need at least a RT and C for 20. They definitely need an LT for the future. Relying just on the draft will take too long to fix the roster.
RE: RE: RE: Ö  
TommyWiseau : 1/20/2020 7:21 pm : link
In comment 14787483 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 14787369 TommyWiseau said:


Quote:


In comment 14787229 okayrene said:


Quote:


I'm probably in the minority here but I'd hate for the Giants to continue spending big chunks of cap on more OL. Would rather see them continue to bring in talent through the draft, it seems like drafting OL/DL is DG's strength.



Yeah we are better off signing a few players like Bethea, Kareem Martin and Omameh for a combined 15 mil a year then signing one good player for 15 a year



Yea itís not that simple. Where was this canít miss 15 million a year player? Not to mention the guaranteed money youíre leaving out. Forget annual loot.


Never said can't miss player. I said one good player. We gave those 3 god awful players a combined 17 mil guaranteed.
Conklin was unimpressive  
ChicagoMarty : 1/20/2020 8:37 pm : link
against KC
RE: RE: And at THAT point,  
Big Blue '56 : 1/20/2020 8:47 pm : link
In comment 14787351 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
In comment 14787305 Big Blue '56 said:


Quote:


they werenít sure of his knee stuff



Not just about concern with his knee, but rather his draft slotting. Players picked in the Top 10 has their 5th year option calculated equal to the average of the Top 10 highest prior year salaries at their position. But when it comes to OL, they are all the same as it pertains to the calculation. So essentially, the LT position is typically the highest paid OL and a RT would have his 5th year option based on the salaries of LTs. We will likely see this play out with Quenton Nelson as he is a guard selected in the Top 10. When it comes to picking up his 5th year option, he'll receive LT money.


Wow, had no clue about that. Thanks, bud..
RE: If I were running the Titans  
LauderdaleMatty : 1/20/2020 8:53 pm : link
In comment 14787254 DonQuixote said:
Quote:
I'd let Tannehill explore FA before Conklin


This. Maybe heís better than Marriotta but heís basically the definition of right place right time. If they sign him to a big deal they are nuts
Get a center who can move the DT (nose)  
Carl in CT : 1/20/2020 9:11 pm : link
And not get pushed 3 yards into the backfield on run plays. That would make a difference.
RE: RE: And at THAT point,  
sphinx : 1/21/2020 12:20 am : link
In comment 14787351 Diver_Down said:
Quote:
In comment 14787305 Big Blue '56 said: Quote:
they werenít sure of his knee stuff

Not just about concern with his knee, but rather his draft slotting. Players picked in the Top 10 has their 5th year option calculated equal to the average of the Top 10 highest prior year salaries at their position. But when it comes to OL, they are all the same as it pertains to the calculation. So essentially, the LT position is typically the highest paid OL and a RT would have his 5th year option based on the salaries of LTs. We will likely see this play out with Quenton Nelson as he is a guard selected in the Top 10. When it comes to picking up his 5th year option, he'll receive LT money.

Wow. Who knew? Not me, for sure

I can tell you  
JonC : 1/21/2020 9:02 am : link
he probably would've been the Giants' pick, and not Eli Apple, had the Titans not grabbed him. Giants had high grades on both Titans starting tackles in recent years.
RE: I can tell you  
Klaatu : 1/21/2020 9:23 am : link
In comment 14787832 JonC said:
Quote:
he probably would've been the Giants' pick, and not Eli Apple, had the Titans not grabbed him. Giants had high grades on both Titans starting tackles in recent years.


Go ahead, rub it in.

First, the Titans picked Taylor Lewan right before we drafted OBJ, then they trade up two spots ahead of us to nab Conklin. Doom on us, twice.

I was hoping that this new regime would be a little more savvy when it came to building an O-Line, but two years into it and we're no better off than when they started.
Back to the Corner