for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Gastineau: I want my sack record back. Cheapened.

Big Blue '56 : 2/11/2020 8:05 am
Quote:


ďItís a good record and it took me a long time to get that,Ē Gastineau said. ďIt took a lot of work, a lot of work to get that record. So many years I worked my butt off to get it, and I finally got it, and it shouldnít have been cheapened like it was. Itís like a tarnished record.Ē


Link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
I totally get why he is suddenly very chagrined over this event  
Greg from LI : 2/11/2020 9:34 am : link
....that happened in *checks calendar* 2001.
Hey Mark, where's your gold jacket?  
Greg from LI : 2/11/2020 9:36 am : link
Oh, right....

My dad told me a story once years ago  
NoPeanutz : 2/11/2020 9:37 am : link
how he was in London on vacation and ran into another American somewhere and struck up a conversation, and this other American had been a former NCAA athlete who once held the world-record (?) or NCAA record for some track/field event... maybe long jump, or high jump... it doesn't matter.
Anyway, he mentioned that the record stood for a number of years before some new kid came along and broke it, and here we are. My dad had the presence of mind to ask him how he felt about the record being broken, about some younger kid accomplishing an even bigger feat.
I think my dad expected the guy to talk about how he had mixed feelings maybe... Maybe he was proud of the kid, or proud of his own record looking back... if it felt like a torch passing. Instead the guy mentioned that it actually felt awful. He was mad for a long time about it, and it was a very difficult topic for him to think and talk about, and he felt angry at the new record holder.

I think that this is just the way it is with these high-level competitors, especially athletes who drain their bodies and spirits to leave it all on the field in the pursuit of bigger feats. They have nothing left to give when it is all over.

Gastineau held a great record for a long time, and he probably had to cross hell to get there. The spirit that made him the first to reach that new record is the same thing that now precludes him for feeling all fuzzy for the new generation. The bitterness and denial is a by-product of the competitor.
If I remember correctly, Gastineau was a hot mess back  
jcn56 : 2/11/2020 9:39 am : link
when Strahan broke the record. I remember someone managed to get some screen time with him, only to get a Jesus-y 'how can I be disappointed with Strahan breaking the record when God sacrificed his only son for me' type of interview.

So maybe he's just reached the point where that pent up disappointment is coming out. Or maybe he just needs some attention. The one undeniable fact is, record or no record, Strahan was a much better player than Gastineau was, and not a flaming loon on or off the field.
RE: And Strahan wants the  
Rjanyg : 2/11/2020 9:45 am : link
In comment 14808622 LS said:
Quote:
sack back he was cheated out of against Washington. RG3's knee was down before he threw the pass. That seals the deal.


This. Plus I don't think Strahan was taking steroid during his playing days so there that.
the ironic part is that in Roger Goodell's NFL, behaving like a  
Victor in CT : 2/11/2020 9:46 am : link
total asshole without any intelligence, class or sportsmanship is not only tolerated but encouraged. See the victory pose by the Niners Defense after the interception in the SB as an example. So in a way, Gastineau was ahead of his time.
If I had more time I would look this up  
bhill410 : 2/11/2020 9:49 am : link
But isnít the operating theory that LT had record in a year before they started recording it as an official stat? Also was 84 a 14 or 16 game schedule?
What Deacon Jones did was amazing  
jcn56 : 2/11/2020 9:52 am : link
I've seen sources (and I don't know how reliable they are) calculate his sacks over a season and put it into the mid-20's.

With two fewer games, at a time in league history where there were far fewer passing downs.

LT was up there too, especially when you consider he usually had half the opposing team trying to stop him from sacking the QB.
RE: If I had more time I would look this up  
Victor in CT : 2/11/2020 9:54 am : link
In comment 14808696 bhill410 said:
Quote:
But isnít the operating theory that LT had record in a year before they started recording it as an official stat? Also was 84 a 14 or 16 game schedule?


Sacks became and official stat in 1982. LT had I think 10 in 1981 that didn't go towards his career record officially.

Saeson went to 16 games in 1978.
Deacon Jones was great  
Greg from LI : 2/11/2020 9:58 am : link
But he also was allowed to use the head slap. It was his primary move.
No one here wants to admit it, including me.  
Mike in Long Beach : 2/11/2020 10:00 am : link
But it's a tarnished record. He's right. Packers up by 2 scores with 2 minutes to go. No reason to pass it at all, let alone roll out to find an unblocked Strahan. It's horseshit. Clearly planned.
RE: No one here wants to admit it, including me.  
Greg from LI : 2/11/2020 10:01 am : link
In comment 14808713 Mike in Long Beach said:
Quote:
But it's a tarnished record. He's right. Packers up by 2 scores with 2 minutes to go. No reason to pass it at all, let alone roll out to find an unblocked Strahan. It's horseshit. Clearly planned.


Again, he was robbed of a legit sack earlier in the season against the Redskins, so it was cosmic justice.
RE: No one here wants to admit it, including me.  
Matt in SGS : 2/11/2020 10:04 am : link
In comment 14808713 Mike in Long Beach said:
Quote:
But it's a tarnished record. He's right. Packers up by 2 scores with 2 minutes to go. No reason to pass it at all, let alone roll out to find an unblocked Strahan. It's horseshit. Clearly planned.


I was at that game when it happened. And let's all remember the context here. The Giants went from a Super Bowl participant to getting knocked out the week before on the near score on the Lambuth Special. This was the rescheduled game due to 9/11. At this time, NYC was still struggling to live in a new normal. The only thing that mattered in that game was if Strahan would get the sack record. And yes, Favre decided to go rogue on his own and roll into Strahan once the game was well decided. It was a nod to Strahan and the Giants fans to give them something to cheer about in a lost season and at a horrible time for NYC. At the end of the game, Fassel understood it and at a point where he used to call time outs to save time, he let the clock run out and had time outs in his pocket. At least, that was my take. Yes, it was a given to him, but there was more to it.
RE: What Deacon Jones did was amazing  
Big Blue '56 : 2/11/2020 10:04 am : link
In comment 14808701 jcn56 said:
Quote:
I've seen sources (and I don't know how reliable they are) calculate his sacks over a season and put it into the mid-20's.

With two fewer games, at a time in league history where there were far fewer passing downs.

LT was up there too, especially when you consider he usually had half the opposing team trying to stop him from sacking the QB.


And he effectively coined the phrase, ĎSack.í
RE: RE: And Strahan wants the  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/11/2020 10:11 am : link
In comment 14808686 Rjanyg said:
Quote:
In comment 14808622 LS said:


Quote:


sack back he was cheated out of against Washington. RG3's knee was down before he threw the pass. That seals the deal.



This. Plus I don't think Strahan was taking steroid during his playing days so there that.


I wouldn't be so sure of that. Not the horse tranquilizer Gastineu was using, but PED's - certainly
Old Jets never die, they just linger around to annoy us  
PatersonPlank : 2/11/2020 10:20 am : link
.
RE: RE: RE: And Strahan wants the  
Greg from LI : 2/11/2020 10:22 am : link
In comment 14808729 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Not the horse tranquilizer Gastineu was using, but PED's - certainly


RE: Not sure if we can go back and find the quote  
GiantsRage2007 : 2/11/2020 10:37 am : link
In comment 14808664 cjac said:
Quote:
but wasn't Gastineau very gracious when it happened?

Records are made to be beat blah blah blah

whats his issue? is it because he sees Strahan on TV every 2 seconds now and its a constant reminder?



As mentioned earlier, there is an angle here. He's got a book coming or his daughter has something upcoming... there is always an angle.

There is an interview and pic where he was very gracious after the sack record was broken, and he hugged Strahan etc...

This is for publicity, clearly. Nothing sells like fake outrage.
RE: RE: Not sure if we can go back and find the quote  
Big Blue '56 : 2/11/2020 10:47 am : link
In comment 14808776 GiantsRage2007 said:
Quote:
In comment 14808664 cjac said:


Quote:


but wasn't Gastineau very gracious when it happened?

Records are made to be beat blah blah blah

whats his issue? is it because he sees Strahan on TV every 2 seconds now and its a constant reminder?





As mentioned earlier, there is an angle here. He's got a book coming or his daughter has something upcoming... there is always an angle.

There is an interview and pic where he was very gracious after the sack record was broken, and he hugged Strahan etc...

This is for publicity, clearly. Nothing sells like fake outrage.


Or, he was faking graciousness publicly at the time?
well he'd be sharing the record with 2 other guys  
Platos : 2/11/2020 10:51 am : link
if they did that...
RE: Eh, if I were Gastineau I'd be a little salty too  
BMac : 2/11/2020 11:00 am : link
In comment 14808627 jcn56 said:
Quote:
.


If I were Gastineau, I'd take the gas pipe!
RE: RE: The guy always struck me as a drama queen  
BMac : 2/11/2020 11:01 am : link
In comment 14808632 Heisenberg said:
Quote:

He was always a bit of a whackadoo, but when I was 13 he saw me walking home from Joe Namath Football Camp, carrying my helmet and pads. He pulled over in his Mercedes and gave me a ride, asking me questions about what position I played, etc. He was super nice.

So when his career flamed out and he had rumors of drug problems, drama with Brigitte Nielsen, boxing, etc. I always think about how he was nice to a chubby kid walking down the road who could use a ride.


Did he ask you if you liked pro wrestling?
RE: Old Jets never die, they just linger around to annoy us  
Dinger : 2/11/2020 11:03 am : link
In comment 14808741 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
.


Best line of this thread, and there are a few including Gastineau keeping Fat kids from losing weight.....

RE: RE: RE: The guy always struck me as a drama queen  
Victor in CT : 2/11/2020 11:06 am : link
In comment 14808808 BMac said:
Quote:
In comment 14808632 Heisenberg said:


Quote:



He was always a bit of a whackadoo, but when I was 13 he saw me walking home from Joe Namath Football Camp, carrying my helmet and pads. He pulled over in his Mercedes and gave me a ride, asking me questions about what position I played, etc. He was super nice.

So when his career flamed out and he had rumors of drug problems, drama with Brigitte Nielsen, boxing, etc. I always think about how he was nice to a chubby kid walking down the road who could use a ride.



Did he ask you if you liked pro wrestling?


or if he ever saw a grown man naked? or been to a turkish prison? :-)
RE: RE: RE: RE: The guy always struck me as a drama queen  
BMac : 2/11/2020 11:07 am : link
In comment 14808815 Victor in CT said:
Quote:
In comment 14808808 BMac said:


Quote:


In comment 14808632 Heisenberg said:


Quote:



He was always a bit of a whackadoo, but when I was 13 he saw me walking home from Joe Namath Football Camp, carrying my helmet and pads. He pulled over in his Mercedes and gave me a ride, asking me questions about what position I played, etc. He was super nice.

So when his career flamed out and he had rumors of drug problems, drama with Brigitte Nielsen, boxing, etc. I always think about how he was nice to a chubby kid walking down the road who could use a ride.



Did he ask you if you liked pro wrestling?



or if he ever saw a grown man naked? or been to a turkish prison? :-)


+2
RE: RE: If I had more time I would look this up  
Rjanyg : 2/11/2020 11:25 am : link
In comment 14808705 Victor in CT said:
Quote:
In comment 14808696 bhill410 said:


Quote:


But isnít the operating theory that LT had record in a year before they started recording it as an official stat? Also was 84 a 14 or 16 game schedule?



Sacks became and official stat in 1982. LT had I think 10 in 1981 that didn't go towards his career record officially.

Saeson went to 16 games in 1978.


LT had 9.5 sacks his rookie year.
He Certainly Gave Them the Business in That Interview  
OntheRoad : 2/11/2020 11:25 am : link
.
I hate Gastineau  
x meadowlander : 2/11/2020 11:25 am : link
But that was some pure-grade bullshit right there. The only truly 'fixed' play I ever saw in an NFL game and a bit unnerving.

Strahan was great enough. HOF. Didn't need that record and Gastineau is right, it's cheapened.

RE: RE: RE: Not sure if we can go back and find the quote  
GiantsRage2007 : 2/11/2020 11:26 am : link
In comment 14808790 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
In comment 14808776 GiantsRage2007 said:


Quote:


In comment 14808664 cjac said:


Quote:


but wasn't Gastineau very gracious when it happened?

Records are made to be beat blah blah blah

whats his issue? is it because he sees Strahan on TV every 2 seconds now and its a constant reminder?





As mentioned earlier, there is an angle here. He's got a book coming or his daughter has something upcoming... there is always an angle.

There is an interview and pic where he was very gracious after the sack record was broken, and he hugged Strahan etc...

This is for publicity, clearly. Nothing sells like fake outrage.



Or, he was faking graciousness publicly at the time?


Could be. Hell of a 19 year delay in speaking up by him.
Iíll give him this, he was engaged to Brigitte Nielsen for  
mfsd : 2/11/2020 11:26 am : link
a couple years, and has a son with her.

Iím sure Iím not the only one who got a few of my early boners thinking about her in Red Sonya
Tiki  
Big Al : 2/11/2020 11:30 am : link
wants the post football life Strahan stole.
RE: I hate Gastineau  
Banks : 2/11/2020 11:58 am : link
In comment 14808844 x meadowlander said:
Quote:
But that was some pure-grade bullshit right there. The only truly 'fixed' play I ever saw in an NFL game and a bit unnerving.

Strahan was great enough. HOF. Didn't need that record and Gastineau is right, it's cheapened.

I love Strahan, but that was pretty blatant and embarrassing to watch. I know there were a couple times that year they took away sacks from Strahan. Some were bs reversals, but those don't offset Favre's gift. Gastineau may be a clown and he likely has some ulterior motive, but he isn't wrong.
Anything that pisses that asshole off;  
Dave in Hoboken : 2/11/2020 12:07 pm : link
I'm all for. No sympathy from me.
Total asshole.  
Klaatu : 2/11/2020 12:17 pm : link
I used to bounce at a club on LI frequented by many Jets players of that era. It was close to Hofstra. All of them were nice guys except for Gastineau, who was a royal pain-in-the-ass. One time he got into it with the head bouncer, an ex-Marine who went about 6-5, 350, and it wasn't fat. Think Road Warrior Animal. After Gastineau talked a ton of trash and dared "Big John" to step outside, John calmly told him that was fine with him, but when the fight was over he guaranteed that Gastineau would never play football again.

Luckily, Marty Lyons (and his wife) intervened. Another Jet did, too (I think it was Lam Jones).
RE: Total asshole.  
GiantsRage2007 : 2/11/2020 12:27 pm : link
In comment 14808899 Klaatu said:
Quote:
I used to bounce at a club on LI frequented by many Jets players of that era. It was close to Hofstra. All of them were nice guys except for Gastineau, who was a royal pain-in-the-ass. One time he got into it with the head bouncer, an ex-Marine who went about 6-5, 350, and it wasn't fat. Think Road Warrior Animal. After Gastineau talked a ton of trash and dared "Big John" to step outside, John calmly told him that was fine with him, but when the fight was over he guaranteed that Gastineau would never play football again.

Luckily, Marty Lyons (and his wife) intervened. Another Jet did, too (I think it was Lam Jones).


Love it!

As a former bouncer I love stories like this. Nothing worse than the "do you know who I am" athlete.
LT was credited with a much  
Rolyrock : 2/11/2020 1:07 pm : link
Lower forced fumble stat. If you you tube it it has a video.
I want my 65 Mustang  
upnyg : 2/11/2020 1:39 pm : link
back that I sold in college
I think that stupid sack  
sec308 : 2/11/2020 4:16 pm : link
is what cost Strahan the first vote ballot hall of fame. That and the fact that he was up against Sapp who wouldn't let him off the hook and made the biggest stink about it for years. I always wanted Strahan to strike back at sapp as a two faced Bitch due to the fact that he said he would have never taken that sack yet he let Gruden tell his team every little detail of the snap counts and plays the Raiders would run in the super bowl. Sapp wasn't too proud to play the game straight up but would never take that sack. If anybody should be blamed for that sack it should be Farve.
Has Gastineau sacked and beaten anymore woman  
montanagiant : 2/11/2020 4:37 pm : link
Lately?
RE: Has Gastineau sacked and beaten anymore woman  
Big Blue '56 : 2/11/2020 4:53 pm : link
In comment 14809126 montanagiant said:
Quote:
Lately?


Minny, Iím blanking on that..
Fiddy..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/11/2020 5:36 pm : link
he reportedly hit one of his wives. Not Nielsen as she'd kick his ass, cancer of the uterus or not!

Quote:
Personal life
Gastineau has been married three times. His first wife, Lisa Gastineau and their daughter Brittny Gastineau starred in the E! reality television show, The Gastineau Girls. Gastineau has a son with actress Brigitte Nielsen, Killian Marcus. He was estranged from both children in 2010.

Shortly after his release from prison in 2001, Gastineau claims he has put his turbulent past behind him after he had a religious conversion to faith in Jesus Christ. Gastineau has appeared on programs such as The 700 Club to speak of his experience. Gastineau is a member of the choir at Times Square Church, where he married third wife JoAnn in 2007.

Legal issues
In 1984, Gastineau was found guilty of assaulting a patron at Studio 54. He was sentenced to 90 hours of community service, teaching football to inmates at Rikers Island.

In 1991, Gastineau was arrested for picking up a package of amphetamine pills at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. He was sentenced to three years probation in 1993.

In September, 2000, Gastineau was sentenced to 18 months in jail after failing to complete an anger management course after hitting his second wife, Patricia.
Thanks  
Big Blue '56 : 2/11/2020 5:38 pm : link
FMiC
Strahan was held horribly that entire game  
SomeFan : 2/11/2020 5:54 pm : link
and those cheesehead officials never called it. If they did he would have had a multiple sack game. It was criminal.
Well he's gonna have to forward his complaint to the  
Geomon : 2/11/2020 6:08 pm : link
Who Gives A Fuck Foundation. Whether anyone thinks that last sack counts or not doesn't matter. It's still a sack and will forever remain so.
Gastineau  
Marty866b : 2/11/2020 7:10 pm : link
How many sacks did he have when he wasn't on steroids?
He was robbed  
KWALL2 : 2/11/2020 11:01 pm : link
With the game over, Fabre ran over to strahan and fell down at his feet. That was BS if you care about stats and records. it was the other way around, everybody on this board would have a problem with the it.

And the weakest argument of all if Strahan lost a sack because of holding.
RE: He was robbed  
Big Blue '56 : 2/12/2020 9:33 am : link
In comment 14809339 KWALL2 said:
Quote:
With the game over, Fabre ran over to strahan and fell down at his feet. That was BS if you care about stats and records. it was the other way around, everybody on this board would have a problem with the it.

And the weakest argument of all if Strahan lost a sack because of holding.


I have the ticket stub from that game, but I never felt good about it. To this day, I think of Favre when that record is cited. He lost a sack? Ok, thatís fair. But do we know how many (if any) Gastineau lost that year?

Iím called a homer, but in this case, I never bought into it. That said, over 20 sacks is one helluva year.
DJones  
Simms : 2/12/2020 10:37 am : link
Good call, he probably had more sacks not recorded by far. Apart of a great DL line not interested in sacks but playing every down with fury.

Gastneau took the high road at first, but age and woes do find a way to chip away at us.

Farve's dive was really bad. Its one of the reasons MS wanted someone else to break the record as posted by others.

Shame MS could not have earned it legit prior to the Brett Flop. Waving the missed sacks prior flag does not eradicate what the majority of football knows.

The record is not going to be changed. Gastineau was given another moment in the sun with his howls.
RE: Eh, if I were Gastineau I'd be a little salty too  
djm : 2/12/2020 10:50 am : link
In comment 14808627 jcn56 said:
Quote:
.


Ultimate team game and this guy is still crying about a horse shit individual record. Notice he isnít crying about the brutal personal foul late hit he committed in the 1986 playoff loss at Cleveland. If Mark G doesnít commit that foul the jets win.

But whoís counting....
RE: Total asshole.  
Tuckrule : 2/13/2020 6:33 am : link
In comment 14808899 Klaatu said:
Quote:
I used to bounce at a club on LI frequented by many Jets players of that era. It was close to Hofstra. All of them were nice guys except for Gastineau, who was a royal pain-in-the-ass. One time he got into it with the head bouncer, an ex-Marine who went about 6-5, 350, and it wasn't fat. Think Road Warrior Animal. After Gastineau talked a ton of trash and dared "Big John" to step outside, John calmly told him that was fine with him, but when the fight was over he guaranteed that Gastineau would never play football again.

Luckily, Marty Lyons (and his wife) intervened. Another Jet did, too (I think it was Lam Jones).


Awesome story. Thanks for sharing!
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner