for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Players' Tribune Article by Knicks Legend Eddy Curry

BrettNYG10 : 2/14/2020 4:12 pm
Quote:
People got jokes.

Everyone, it seems like.

Jokes for days.

When the topic is Eddy Curry, the jokes just come easy. Itís been that way for more than a decade. And even after all these years that Iíve been out of the league, when my name comes up online or on social media or whatever, somehow a bunch of people Ö still got jokes.

Itís like Ö Eddy Curry?

Do you remember how fat that guy was? OMG OMG LOLOLOL.

Or

How do you play in the NBA and get your house foreclosed on, bro? Like, wow. Come on, son. Hahaha.

Players' Tribune - ( New Window )
someone else posted that yesterday  
Greg from LI : 2/14/2020 4:21 pm : link
And while a lot of it is sad, it's hard not to conclude that Eddy Curry is his own worst enemy, and most of his troubles are his own doing.
While  
DanMetroMan : 2/14/2020 4:25 pm : link
the Curry deal was awful he was still only 23 with huge talent when the Knicks made that made. They have made far worse gambles given the upside (I say that as someone who never liked Curry as a player).
RE: While  
Strahan91 : 2/14/2020 4:31 pm : link
In comment 14811426 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
the Curry deal was awful he was still only 23 with huge talent when the Knicks made that made. They have made far worse gambles given the upside (I say that as someone who never liked Curry as a player).

Hindsight is always 20/20 and draft picks are a gamble but man did it hurt that those picks turned into LaMarcus Aldridge and Joakim Noah.
It was not protecting the picks that was the problem  
robbieballs2003 : 2/14/2020 6:04 pm : link
.
RE: someone else posted that yesterday  
PhiPsi125 : 2/14/2020 6:08 pm : link
In comment 14811424 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
And while a lot of it is sad, it's hard not to conclude that Eddy Curry is his own worst enemy, and most of his troubles are his own doing.


I felt the same way. Tragic and sad...yes. But most, of not all, were because of his own very poor decisions. I get that the purpose of his article was to show people that his life wasnít a joke due to the people that took advantage of him and the death of his side piece and child - but I walked away from that article just thinking about how much of an idiot he is.
RE: It was not protecting the picks that was the problem  
Strahan91 : 2/14/2020 6:25 pm : link
In comment 14811472 robbieballs2003 said:
Quote:
.

I'm not sure Isiah Thomas knew that was allowed.
I walked away from the article  
djm : 2/14/2020 9:37 pm : link
Happy that heís turned shit around. Weíre all idiots or potential idiots at 23-24. Add in millions of dollars and where Eddie curry actually came from? No surprise he didnít know how to act.
I'm still lost at calling him a Knicks  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/14/2020 10:02 pm : link
Legend.
RE: I walked away from the article  
PhiPsi125 : 2/14/2020 10:41 pm : link
In comment 14811561 djm said:
Quote:
Happy that heís turned shit around. Weíre all idiots or potential idiots at 23-24. Add in millions of dollars and where Eddie curry actually came from? No surprise he didnít know how to act.


Eh, thatís a bit of a cop out. You can be an idiot in your early 20s and still have the common sense to not give all your money away, take care of your financial responsibilities and certainly know better than to have a secret second family. You donít want to be the butt of everyoneís joke? Make better choices.

Yes, itís great he turned his life around. But his whiney sob story didnít do much for me.
Knicks legend?  
Optimus-NY : 2/15/2020 1:47 am : link
The guy was an idiot and a scrub. No sympathy. This is a business. Get the right players in here, not schmucks like this. I'm glad he's turned his life around of course, but I have no sympathy for him. He made his bed, and then he had to sleep in it.
It didnít do much for you?  
djm : 2/15/2020 11:24 am : link
Ok. The guy experienced loss and pain most of us can only imagine. Heís in a better place now and his wife stood by him.

Tough crowd.
The point is that most of us canít imagine his loss and pain  
PhiPsi125 : 2/15/2020 11:56 am : link
because most of us have the minimal amount of common sense needed to avoid his situations. Make big boy decisions and maybe youíll get a more positive result.
RE: The point is that most of us canít imagine his loss and pain  
crick n NC : 2/16/2020 8:48 am : link
In comment 14811719 PhiPsi125 said:
Quote:
because most of us have the minimal amount of common sense needed to avoid his situations. Make big boy decisions and maybe youíll get a more positive result.


Perhaps things aren't that simple.
RE: RE: The point is that most of us canít imagine his loss and pain  
PhiPsi125 : 2/16/2020 9:08 am : link
In comment 14811994 crick n NC said:
Quote:
In comment 14811719 PhiPsi125 said:


Quote:


because most of us have the minimal amount of common sense needed to avoid his situations. Make big boy decisions and maybe youíll get a more positive result.



Perhaps things aren't that simple.


Or perhaps things are that simple.

Is it hard to know you shouldnít have a secret second family? Or give all your money away? I get that bad stuff can happen but this guy was his own worst enemy.
RE: RE: RE: The point is that most of us canít imagine his loss and pain  
crick n NC : 2/16/2020 9:35 am : link
In comment 14811999 PhiPsi125 said:
Quote:
In comment 14811994 crick n NC said:


Quote:


In comment 14811719 PhiPsi125 said:


Quote:


because most of us have the minimal amount of common sense needed to avoid his situations. Make big boy decisions and maybe youíll get a more positive result.



Perhaps things aren't that simple.



Or perhaps things are that simple.

Is it hard to know you shouldnít have a secret second family? Or give all your money away? I get that bad stuff can happen but this guy was his own worst enemy.


Why we make the decisions we do are the root. Investigating those decisions and not simply relying on simple answers for deeper problems are a key to moving away from hindering behavior.

For example, I am sure you have certain issues in your life that spring up time and again. I do as well.

To me, resting on "I just have to make better decisions" while correct doesn't uncover the deeper issue that at the very least need to be brought to our attention.
Eddy Curry  
XBRONX : 2/16/2020 9:43 am : link
one of the great Knick big men along with Fredric Weiss and Noah.
I always empathize with shit like this  
djm : 2/16/2020 1:54 pm : link
Because the guy is or was in emotional pain. Of course he handled shit foolishly thatís not what itís about though.

Some of the most influential and brilliant people in human history have all agreed that we are defined by how we help other and how we empathize with others when needed. Iíve grown to adopt this way of thinking more and more and its helped make me a better person. Grudges or toxic. Forgiveness and empathy, within reason of course, lead to prosperity in my view. Trust me, Iíve been tested, it helps... immensely.
Empathy is great and I tend to have empathy the most for people  
PhiPsi125 : 2/16/2020 2:50 pm : link
that persevere through obstacles that are out of their control. I have empathy for his wife. I have empathy for his children. I have empathy for those affected by the tragic death. Eddy Curry? Not so much. Sorry. This rich young kid was drinking and fucking his way down the drain for years until it all caught up with him. Then years later he writes some sob story blaming his troubles on other people and because mommy forced him to play a sport that he didnít love....but that he actually did love?

Sorry, this article deemed of ďpoor meĒ and a lack of accountability. His wife is the real hero. It was nice that he found a way to squeak her into the article at the end. Itís nice, for him, that he turned his life around. But he fucked over a lot of other lives. So no, Iíll save my empathy for people that actually need it.
My point  
crick n NC : 2/16/2020 3:02 pm : link
Is there is usually more to be learned from issues in life. A simple "common sense says" answer isn't seeking the root of the issue. I think people tend to make better choices when we understand why we made poor choices before. I didn't read the article and I don't really need to. My issue is simplifying mistakes when a deeper issue(s) are at play.
Back to the Corner