for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: Memorial Day Weekend plans?

Sean : 5/22/2020 8:11 am
It is a long stretch to make it to MDW, once NFL is over it is a long winter before getting a glimpse into summer. MDW is one of my favorite weekends of the year. Obviously, it’s very different this year, but nice to see things are slowly opening up.

Anyone going anywhere? Staying home?

Regardless, I hope all of BBI has a great holiday weekend!
I left Northern NJ  
johnnyb : 5/22/2020 8:20 am : link
For the Outer Banks on Tuesday. We will probably stay until mid June. Nice change of scenery and when the sun eventually comes out I will enjoy the beach.
Surf and Turf Cookout at home...  
Grey Pilgrim : 5/22/2020 8:23 am : link
Happy MDW Everyone!
Walking to beach everyday  
UConn4523 : 5/22/2020 8:25 am : link
having neighbors over for drinks and the kids to play outside. Trying to be outside as much as possible.
Jack and shit  
superspynyg : 5/22/2020 8:28 am : link
And jack left town.
I saw something yesterday - report from Google  
ZogZerg : 5/22/2020 8:43 am : link
tracking us - that folks from "high" Corona areas are headed to the beaches.

I'll be staying home.
Memorial Day Weekend  
section125 : 5/22/2020 8:56 am : link
was always the unofficial start to the "Summer" season and when the Jersey Shore really opened up. My high school ended this Friday, and I'd hop the Jersey Central train from Newark to Point Pleasant so I could start working on the fishing boats(before I got my drivers license). It was glorious.

So sad that it will be muted this year for "youse" guys(in my best Hudson County accent). Stay strong, these plagues pass eventually, so don't get impatient and expose yourselves and your families.

Remember those who died fighting for our country and a little prayer wouldn't hurt.
probably just hit the backyard hard with the kids.  
bigbluehoya : 5/22/2020 9:00 am : link
liquor delivery incoming today, so I'll be replenished with all of the beer / seltzer / vodka / tequila / bourbon we need. We got some fresh strawberries delivered this week that are dynamite -- I've been thinking all week about adding some to my standard margarita recipe along with a few slices of jalepeno. One or two of those after some yardwork will hit me right between the eyes in the best way.

Might play 9 holes each on Sunday & Monday, not sure. My back has been a little barky the last couple of days. Debating whether the golf swing / rotation is more likely to help me work our the kinks or spiral me into a more serious flare-up.
I will google scenic drives in my area and pick one.  
Marty in Albany : 5/22/2020 9:04 am : link
Perhaps somewhere in the Berkshires.

If it is sunny, we'll take a picnic lunch, or my small portable propane grill for hot dogs, burgers, etc.

We will drive the recommended route, stop at a scenic spot and eat lunch al fresco on folding lawn chairs. We'll take some photos, talk, and listen to music on a small blue tooth speaker.

Then, I'll put everything, including any trash, back in my trunk and we'll drive home. If it is really hot, we might stop for ice cream.
Opened our pool last weekend  
aimrocky : 5/22/2020 9:08 am : link
but it's probably too cold to use. If temps get into the high 70's, low 80's, maybe we'll float around a bit then head to the hot tub.

Otherwise, lobsters and fire pit for the kids tonight. BBQ all 3 days (weather permitting Saturday) with our immediate family and hoping to spend as much time outside as we possibly can.
Normally  
pjcas18 : 5/22/2020 9:27 am : link
this weekend the organization I am a member of will put flags on the town green in memory of our fallen brothers and sisters who lived in this town, but some bureaucratic assholes drunk with power feel that is too risky an activity to do this year so they put the kibosh on it.

We also normally have a dedication ceremony that is indoors and pays homage to our fallen veterans (and their families if they're still alive and in the area) - and usually includes some of the older living veterans to help us reflect. That makes complete sense to be canceled and it is.

So, I'm playing golf, cooking on the grill, drinking bourbon, do some yard work, and will have a few thoughts for those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.



RE: I left Northern NJ  
Hobbes19 : 5/22/2020 9:29 am : link
In comment 14908618 johnnyb said:
Quote:
For the Outer Banks on Tuesday. We will probably stay until mid June. Nice change of scenery and when the sun eventually comes out I will enjoy the beach.


johnnyb - my family and I are heading down to the Outer Banks on Sunday from NJ. How was the ride down for you? Were there any checkpoints or issues for you? We usually take the Bay Bridge and Tunnel route.

How are things once you are on the island?
Cut the shit. We all know you're all going  
Route 9 : 5/22/2020 10:13 am : link
to Long Beach Island.
Ummm....yeah quite obviously it's very different this year.  
Emlen'sGremlins : 5/22/2020 10:32 am : link
Nearly 100,000 Americans have perished from COVID-19 and unemployment is at Great Depression era levels.
We had a comp trip to Atlantis Bahamas for the week scheduled  
bigblue1124 : 5/22/2020 10:36 am : link
Unfortunately, they are closed until June 15th not that we would have taken a chance traveling there anyway but still sucks.

So, I bought one of those Intex pools for the patio for the wife and I. We plan on using the pool and I already started prep for the weekend menu. Pizza night tonight but tomorrow smoked brisket taco’s with guacamole, chimichurri crème and Pico di Gallo along with my homemade hot sauce.
Sunday doing smoked KC style ribs on the egg,
Monday I have Australian Wagyu beef sliders in the freezer I plan to use up. Hoping for a lot of sun for the weekend it’s been pretty dismal this week with nonstop rain.

Hope everyone stay's safe!
Will take the kids to visit...  
RC in MD : 5/22/2020 10:43 am : link
the Maryland World War II Memorial and talk to them about the significance of Memorial Day while getting some outside time with them sometime this weekend.

The kiddos will have horseback riding lessons tomorrow. Definitely grilling this weekend (if weather permits, we'll grill all three days). May even bring out the water slide for them since our pool won't be opening like it normally does on Memorial Day weekend.

Then do the Murph on Monday.
RE: RE: I left Northern NJ  
johnnyb : 5/22/2020 10:50 am : link
In comment 14908680 Hobbes19 said:
Quote:
In comment 14908618 johnnyb said:


Quote:


For the Outer Banks on Tuesday. We will probably stay until mid June. Nice change of scenery and when the sun eventually comes out I will enjoy the beach.



johnnyb - my family and I are heading down to the Outer Banks on Sunday from NJ. How was the ride down for you? Were there any checkpoints or issues for you? We usually take the Bay Bridge and Tunnel route.

How are things once you are on the island?


I drive the same way- Bay Bridge/ Tunnel to 64 to 168. We left Tuesday afternoon and had an uneventful drive thankfully.. The island is now open to everyone so no checkpoints at the bridge. I am sure my NJ plates are frowned upon.

The island is quiet as you might expect. The outlet malls in Nags Head are now open with restrictions. We had no issues at the grocery store but toilet paper/ paper towels/ cleaning products are in short supply. We brought our own thinking it might be an issue. We have not been to Walmart as of yet so I cannot comment on that. Restaurants are doing take out- we had takeout from Azteca for lunch on Wednesday and I know other places doing takeout. From what I understand, restaurants are due to reopen later this week with capacity restrictions. Not sure I am ready to dine inside just yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have owned a home on the island for twenty five years.

Safe drive and enjoy your time on the Outer Banks.

John
Drink, BBQ...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 5/22/2020 10:59 am : link
Watch NBA playoffs...Oh wait.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable MDW!
RE: RE: RE: I left Northern NJ  
Hobbes19 : 5/22/2020 11:01 am : link
In comment 14908743 johnnyb said:
Quote:
In comment 14908680 Hobbes19 said:


Quote:


In comment 14908618 johnnyb said:


Quote:


For the Outer Banks on Tuesday. We will probably stay until mid June. Nice change of scenery and when the sun eventually comes out I will enjoy the beach.



johnnyb - my family and I are heading down to the Outer Banks on Sunday from NJ. How was the ride down for you? Were there any checkpoints or issues for you? We usually take the Bay Bridge and Tunnel route.

How are things once you are on the island?



I drive the same way- Bay Bridge/ Tunnel to 64 to 168. We left Tuesday afternoon and had an uneventful drive thankfully.. The island is now open to everyone so no checkpoints at the bridge. I am sure my NJ plates are frowned upon.

The island is quiet as you might expect. The outlet malls in Nags Head are now open with restrictions. We had no issues at the grocery store but toilet paper/ paper towels/ cleaning products are in short supply. We brought our own thinking it might be an issue. We have not been to Walmart as of yet so I cannot comment on that. Restaurants are doing take out- we had takeout from Azteca for lunch on Wednesday and I know other places doing takeout. From what I understand, restaurants are due to reopen later this week with capacity restrictions. Not sure I am ready to dine inside just yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have owned a home on the island for twenty five years.

Safe drive and enjoy your time on the Outer Banks.

John


Thanks, John. I appreciate the response. We're bringing paper products, water and as many non-perishable times as we can fit in the roof bag.

We'll be mainly laying low and getting take out from a few local places.

Any can't miss places in Duck you know of that we should check out? We've been going to Corolla for about 7 years and decided to switch it up and "explore" Duck this time. So much for that!
RE: RE: RE: RE: I left Northern NJ  
johnnyb : 5/22/2020 11:09 am : link
In comment 14908761 Hobbes19 said:
Quote:
In comment 14908743 johnnyb said:


Quote:


In comment 14908680 Hobbes19 said:


Quote:


In comment 14908618 johnnyb said:


Quote:


For the Outer Banks on Tuesday. We will probably stay until mid June. Nice change of scenery and when the sun eventually comes out I will enjoy the beach.



johnnyb - my family and I are heading down to the Outer Banks on Sunday from NJ. How was the ride down for you? Were there any checkpoints or issues for you? We usually take the Bay Bridge and Tunnel route.

How are things once you are on the island?



I drive the same way- Bay Bridge/ Tunnel to 64 to 168. We left Tuesday afternoon and had an uneventful drive thankfully.. The island is now open to everyone so no checkpoints at the bridge. I am sure my NJ plates are frowned upon.

The island is quiet as you might expect. The outlet malls in Nags Head are now open with restrictions. We had no issues at the grocery store but toilet paper/ paper towels/ cleaning products are in short supply. We brought our own thinking it might be an issue. We have not been to Walmart as of yet so I cannot comment on that. Restaurants are doing take out- we had takeout from Azteca for lunch on Wednesday and I know other places doing takeout. From what I understand, restaurants are due to reopen later this week with capacity restrictions. Not sure I am ready to dine inside just yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have owned a home on the island for twenty five years.

Safe drive and enjoy your time on the Outer Banks.

John



Thanks, John. I appreciate the response. We're bringing paper products, water and as many non-perishable times as we can fit in the roof bag.

We'll be mainly laying low and getting take out from a few local places.

Any can't miss places in Duck you know of that we should check out? We've been going to Corolla for about 7 years and decided to switch it up and "explore" Duck this time. So much for that!


I am in Kill Devil Hills and rarely venture north of the causeway, so I do not know of many places in Duck. Sorry about that. I do like High Cotton in Kity Hawk for BBQ. They do a good job and I always take out. They have decent packages- ribs, chicken and pulled pork, a few sides. Plenty of places down by me. Always happy to help where I can- feel free to ask.

BTW, I found no issues with food- canned goods, meat, frozen, bread. They had everything and plenty of it. Prices actually better than home.
Can anyone recommend  
gmenrule : 5/22/2020 11:55 am : link
someplace open to get a haircut ? Christ - this is getting ridiculous.
RE: Can anyone recommend  
Sonic Youth : 5/22/2020 1:45 pm : link
In comment 14908819 gmenrule said:
Quote:
someplace open to get a haircut ? Christ - this is getting ridiculous.
Agree on this, need it so badly. Literally have a borderline fro now.

I didn't even realize this was MDW until yesterday. Quarantine + Layoffs makes these days blend together
RE: Can anyone recommend  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 5/22/2020 2:00 pm : link
In comment 14908819 gmenrule said:
Quote:
someplace open to get a haircut ? Christ - this is getting ridiculous.


I look like a 5th Beatle. All I make is a 'Make Love, Not War' & I'd fit in in the late 60s. Haha.
Sign*  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 5/22/2020 2:00 pm : link
.
I bought clippers  
pjcas18 : 5/22/2020 2:11 pm : link
off ebay and shaved my head.

I had to, couldn't stand it anymore.

last haircut was mid-January, my hair looked like mid-70's Michael Jackson.
......  
Route 9 : 5/22/2020 2:33 pm : link
Why don't you guys just shave your heads? It's not that hard. Who cares?

Men's grooming, lol.
RE: ......  
Sonic Youth : 5/22/2020 4:45 pm : link
In comment 14909015 Route 9 said:
Quote:
Why don't you guys just shave your heads? It's not that hard. Who cares?

Men's grooming, lol.
I've never had my hair this long, but I wanna keep the top this long and shave the sides. Rather not fuck it up at this point, since theres a 0% chance it'll ever get this long again.

Gotta make the best of the situation, right? I'm tryin to take a positive out of this
Sonic Youth. You can't always get what you want.  
Route 9 : 5/22/2020 6:49 pm : link
But if you try sometimes you just might find

You just might find

You get what you need
I miss the feeling of MDW living in Florida. Like even sitting in  
Zeke's Alibi : 5/22/2020 9:08 pm : link
traffic today would be awesome. What's it like up there? Things down here have been "open" but the city I live in finally felt that way today. Curious what the beaches are gonna look like tomorrow here and in Jersey.
Zeke. The weather is going to be shit down here.  
Route 9 : 5/22/2020 9:33 pm : link
Rain Saturday and high of 56 on Sunday. I think meh on Monday.
Heading to the lake, barhopping, and  
ZGiants98 : 5/22/2020 11:32 pm : link
and hanging out with thousands of people on top of each other. Thank you deSantis. :)
Back to the Corner