for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: LaMelo Ball No. 1 On Knicks PG Board

Jon in NYC : 5/23/2020 9:10 am
Would imagine he's no. 1 overall, too, given their massive need at PG.

At this point I'd trade up to grab him if we can.
Link - ( New Window )
I winder how much his bad shooting percentage  
nygiants16 : 5/23/2020 9:13 am : link
was shot selection, he is a special passer, great vision, his form doesnt look horrible..

I think he has star potential, but i would like a point that can shoot next to barrett..
Heck No  
Spider43 : 5/23/2020 9:34 am : link
Uh, please, no. Too much baggage with him.
yeah, the baggage and not a great outside shooter  
Del Shofner : 5/23/2020 9:44 am : link
- I'm fine if we don't get him or choose to take someone else. But if he's there and we think he's BPA, so be it.
The only association lamelo has with lavar  
nygiants16 : 5/23/2020 9:48 am : link
is lavar is his father other than that there is no relationship, there is no business relationship..

If that is the baggage you are talking about
Pass on Ball No pun intended  
Earl the goat : 5/23/2020 10:29 am : link
Give Frank another year under a new coach

Take best player available
I like the second wave of talent  
RAIN : 5/23/2020 10:48 am : link
As they are portrayed by the media now.

Hayes, Halliburton, Vassell, Okongwu

These are the four I have my eyes on right now.

Two way players, unless superstar #1 options on offense are there...are where we and need to be. I don’t think any of the bigger names are superstars.

he is the top rated PG in this draft.  
larryflower37 : 5/23/2020 11:05 am : link
The Knicks need a shooter first and foremost.
can't keep drafting kids that can't consistently knock down the 3.
RE: he is the top rated PG in this draft.  
Anakim : 5/23/2020 11:25 am : link
In comment 14909454 larryflower37 said:
Quote:
The Knicks need a shooter first and foremost.
can't keep drafting kids that can't consistently knock down the 3.


That’s not LaMelo though, with his wonky shot form
My  
DanMetroMan : 5/23/2020 11:38 am : link
board

1. Ball
2. Hayes
3. Wiseman
4. Avdija
5. Haliburton
6. Edwards
7. Okongwu
8. Toppin
RE: RE: he is the top rated PG in this draft.  
larryflower37 : 5/23/2020 11:56 am : link
In comment 14909462 Anakim said:
Quote:
In comment 14909454 larryflower37 said:


Quote:


The Knicks need a shooter first and foremost.
can't keep drafting kids that can't consistently knock down the 3.



That’s not LaMelo though, with his wonky shot form


not at all. his game is devalued in today's NBA.
This is a bad draft for the Knicks unless you get the first pick.
How is this not clickbait?  
Really : 5/23/2020 12:09 pm : link
He may very well be number 1, but did they not just hire Perrin whose expertise is scouting and the Post knows his board already?

This seems like a stretch
Did his dad even follow LaMelo to Australia?  
Jim in Hoboken : 5/23/2020 12:14 pm : link
I don't know, how is he different than Lonzo? Lonzo seems like a better athlete, maybe not as good of a shooter but probably the same vision or better. LaMelo may be a little bit more dynamic with the ball in his hands, but it's against inferior competition.

You need twitchy, dynamic athletes to excel in the backcourt. The Pauls and Currys are few and far in between. I have a hard time imagining a subpar athlete only flashing in a mediocre league eventually developing into a star in the NBA, no matter how young he is.

Toppin has his warts for sure, but I think he's one of the surer bet to put up points in the league. I like Edwards the most, but admit he has a lot of Waiters/McLemore in him.
Scary draft  
ghost718 : 5/23/2020 12:25 pm : link
Knicks could easily screw this up,with there quest for potential superstars being the driving force.
Picking..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 5/23/2020 12:30 pm : link
a Ball would be the Knicks thing to do.
RE: My  
Earl the goat : 5/23/2020 12:43 pm : link
In comment 14909469 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
board

1. Ball
2. Hayes
3. Wiseman
4. Avdija
5. Haliburton
6. Edwards
7. Okongwu
8. Toppin



Toppin will turn out to be the best of this draft
I like the Israeli kid but his body needs work  
Torrag : 5/23/2020 12:56 pm : link
I like his creativity and variety. Also like the look in his eye. He wants the ball when it matters. But I get that PG is and has been a disaster forever. I'm just not in love with any of them.





Seems likes a mutual interest between LaMelo and the Knicks.  
bceagle05 : 5/23/2020 1:51 pm : link
That doesn’t really help the slim odds we have of getting him, unless we get carried away with trades. Can’t imagine teams like Atlanta, Golden State or even Cleveland would be looking for a ball-dominant PG, so that helps a bit.
RE: RE: My  
mphbullet36 : 5/23/2020 1:54 pm : link
In comment 14909509 Earl the goat said:
Quote:
In comment 14909469 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


board

1. Ball
2. Hayes
3. Wiseman
4. Avdija
5. Haliburton
6. Edwards
7. Okongwu
8. Toppin




Toppin will turn out to be the best of this draft


Toppin is one of the worst defensive players to come out in the draft in a while...
This seems like a weak draft at the top  
Vanzetti : 5/23/2020 2:10 pm : link
5-8 guys seem just about as good as 1-4
Couldn’t give a fuck about so called baggage  
djm : 5/23/2020 2:23 pm : link
And let’s be honest the baggage is his father and nothing more than that. I only care about the lack of an outside shot. But the knicks need a floor leader PG so badly. Shot be damned if this kid is the goods go get him. Knicks will go fro bad to good overnight the minute they land a real dynamic PG.
If a PG can't shoot well, it means the defense can lay off him  
GeofromNJ : 5/23/2020 3:31 pm : link
and concentrate on the closing the passing lanes.
RE: I like the second wave of talent  
bceagle05 : 5/23/2020 4:45 pm : link
Quote:
As they are portrayed by the media now.

Hayes, Halliburton, Vassell, Okongw

I would love to add Vassell. I'd have no problem taking him if we draft 6-8.
RE: RE: RE: My  
Earl the goat : 5/23/2020 7:18 pm : link
In comment 14909543 mphbullet36 said:
Quote:
In comment 14909509 Earl the goat said:


Quote:


In comment 14909469 DanMetroMan said:


Quote:


board

1. Ball
2. Hayes
3. Wiseman
4. Avdija
5. Haliburton
6. Edwards
7. Okongwu
8. Toppin




Toppin will turn out to be the best of this draft



Toppin is one of the worst defensive players to come out in the draft in a while...



He’s a terrific rebounder. Have you watched Dayton games
Jonathan Wasserman (Bleacher Report draft guy)  
bceagle05 : 5/23/2020 7:45 pm : link
had Mike Vorkunov on his podcast to talk Knicks, and they agreed the value is about equal for picks #27 and #38, so it makes sense to package them to move up or trade #27 in a deal for a vet. Even in rebuilding mode, I doubt they bring in three rookies plus Iggy next season.

Otherwise, nothing new to report. Nobody knows what Leon Rose has in mind, and there’s obviously no track record with him, so we’re all just guessing.
RE: Jonathan Wasserman (Bleacher Report draft guy)  
Vanzetti : 5/24/2020 12:41 am : link
In comment 14909651 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
had Mike Vorkunov on his podcast to talk Knicks, and they agreed the value is about equal for picks #27 and #38, so it makes sense to package them to move up or trade #27 in a deal for a vet. Even in rebuilding mode, I doubt they bring in three rookies plus Iggy next season.

Otherwise, nothing new to report. Nobody knows what Leon Rose has in mind, and there’s obviously no track record with him, so we’re all just guessing.


I don’t agree with that at all. Stay with the rebuild. Problem with Knicks is they don’t have patience.

David Lee was take 30 and Draymond Green somewhere around 40. You can get a player there
Jokic  
Vanzetti : 5/24/2020 12:43 am : link
Was 41
RE: Seems likes a mutual interest between LaMelo and the Knicks.  
Jon in NYC : 5/24/2020 8:59 am : link
In comment 14909542 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
That doesn’t really help the slim odds we have of getting him, unless we get carried away with trades. Can’t imagine teams like Atlanta, Golden State or even Cleveland would be looking for a ball-dominant PG, so that helps a bit.


This is important. I'd add Minnesota to that list with D'Angelo Russell in place. We basically have to jump Detroit.
A positive for LaMelo's shooting potential is that he's shot 83% FT  
shyster : 5/24/2020 9:42 am : link
over 238 attempts.

The bad news isn't so much his low 3P percentage but that he doesn't have the basics of an NBA jump shot.

As a result, his mid-range game is floater city. See 9:15-10:15 of clip.

People want to put Ja Morant in the HOF already but he has the same issue.

Why is it so hard see the priority of developing a conventional J?

And, in LaMelo's case, we're talking about someone with the base ability to shoot free throws at elite level and who evidently has a high level of overall athletic coordination.

Steph Curry tells the story of how he realized he had to take apart and rebuild the two-handed shooting style of his early youth to get the NBA J.

It meant taking a couple of steps back before he could move forward but he had the ability to look down the road. The easy thing is to keep doing what you're doing.



the good the not so good and the somewhat ugly - ( New Window )
RE: A positive for LaMelo's shooting potential is that he's shot 83% FT  
Jon in NYC : 5/24/2020 9:59 am : link
In comment 14909754 shyster said:
Quote:
over 238 attempts.

The bad news isn't so much his low 3P percentage but that he doesn't have the basics of an NBA jump shot.

As a result, his mid-range game is floater city. See 9:15-10:15 of clip.

People want to put Ja Morant in the HOF already but he has the same issue.

Why is it so hard see the priority of developing a conventional J?

And, in LaMelo's case, we're talking about someone with the base ability to shoot free throws at elite level and who evidently has a high level of overall athletic coordination.

Steph Curry tells the story of how he realized he had to take apart and rebuild the two-handed shooting style of his early youth to get the NBA J.

It meant taking a couple of steps back before he could move forward but he had the ability to look down the road. The easy thing is to keep doing what you're doing.

the good the not so good and the somewhat ugly - ( New Window )


This is a good post. The biggest harm to LaMelo so far hasn't been his dad, it's that bouncing around so much has never kept him with a coaching staff that can take the time and teach him the fundamentals of both a jump shot and defense.
Back to the Corner