for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: 6th and 7th golfers withdraw from Travelers Champ for COVID

Heisenberg : 6/26/2020 3:31 pm
To be clear: Some of the withdraws are because they played with players who tested positive, not because there's been 7 positive tests.

Quote:
Two more PGA Tour players withdrew from the Travelers Championship Friday following a positive coronavirus test.

Denny McCarthy, 27, withdrew after testing positive. He was schedule to tee of his afternoon with Bud Cauley, who tested negative but still withdrew, and Matt Walace, who continued to play.

...

McCarthy and Cauley’s withdrawals follows Cameron Champ, who tested positive and withdrew Tuesday before the tournament began. Graeme McDowell withdrew after his caddie tested positive before traveling to Connecticut. Brooks Koepka also withdrew after his caddie tested positive and his brother Chase Koepka did the same after playing a practice round with his brother and McDowell. Webb Simpson withdrew as a precaution.



A lot of caution being shown here but not encouraging for team sports. I mean, these guys are playing golf, not huffing and puffing all over each other like in hoops or football. Can't be a good sign for sports this fall.
Link - ( New Window )
they are not getting it from each other  
nygiants16 : 6/26/2020 3:38 pm : link
the caddies got it at a wake..

Brooks koepka when he is playing gets a house and basically hunkers down with only the people close to him so that is why he withdrww along with his brother..

Webb Simpson was precautionary..

player today tested positive so he withdrww and the guy who plyed with him on thuraday withdrew out of caution
and watney who teated positive last week  
nygiants16 : 6/26/2020 3:40 pm : link
came in contact with 11 people all tested negative and continje to test negative
Yeah, I guess I don't mean that they're getting it from each other.  
Heisenberg : 6/26/2020 3:45 pm : link
But, when a guy on the Giants gets it and then is playing football and in meeting rooms all day with teammates, it's much closer contact than Golf. And how can football or basketball afford to isolate a player or group of players the way an individual can W/D a tournament? I'm really more commenting on the way that this can be a problem logistically as it ripples through groups of players who have contact.
RE: Yeah, I guess I don't mean that they're getting it from each other.  
nygiants16 : 6/26/2020 3:49 pm : link
In comment 14925264 Heisenberg said:
Quote:
But, when a guy on the Giants gets it and then is playing football and in meeting rooms all day with teammates, it's much closer contact than Golf. And how can football or basketball afford to isolate a player or group of players the way an individual can W/D a tournament? I'm really more commenting on the way that this can be a problem logistically as it ripples through groups of players who have contact.


If they are being tested you are more than likely going to catch it befoee that person can spread it..

Will there be positive tests? abaolutely but if 1 positive test shuts a league down then there is no reason to even bother...

Adam Silver just said what are we supposed to do just sit out?
Adam Silver is one of the bright spots in sports  
arniefez : 6/26/2020 3:53 pm : link
Literally and figuratively but good luck in Orlando. Better keep those players and their groups locked in the hotels or it will be over quickly.
The NBA would have been better served going  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 6/26/2020 4:00 pm : link
to Hawaii or the Northeast.
.  
Stan in LA : 6/26/2020 4:18 pm : link
Quote:
The basic questions we all want to know the answers to are:

If I get exposed to someone who is infected, will I get infected?
If I get infected, will I get sick?
If I get sick will I die?

These are not impossible questions to answer. We need to track a lot of people over time, test them repeatedly and monitor their health. As that has not been done, epidemiologists are left to look at the data they do have and reach the best conclusions possible.

And the conclusions are all over the map. If you look at number of deaths as a fraction of the number of positive tests, you will conclude that mortality is 5-6% (I have seen researchers reporting that estimate in their presentations). I looked at deaths and estimates of population infection and came up with a mortality of 1%. Some researchers at Penn State ran some numbers and decided the real infection rate was 80 times greater than reported. If they are right about that, then COVID is only a little worse than the flu, in terms of the danger it poses.

I am particularly frustrated by the "spikes in new cases" stories. If the tests being reported are antibody tests, then we are doing fine and COVID is moving through the population with minimal impact. If the tests are live virus tests, then a train is coming down the tracks and we are tied to the tracks. At this stage of the pandemic, we should mainly be looking at live virus tests. Instead, we get "tests" reported with no further information. In New Jersey, we used to report all tests, now we only report live virus tests.
...  
christian : 6/26/2020 4:22 pm : link
I completely understand the desire to bring back sports and the corresponding jobs for the every day folks who support these industries, but we're still in a very precarious situation.

You apply the same precautions golfers are taking to a team sport, and it's pretty easy to see how one sick player can take a team out of rotation for a few weeks.

If an activity cannot be attended or completed without wearing a mask and without distancing, it just seems like it's not in the cards to go forward this year.

We're seeing it down here in Texas. Lots of well intentioned people want things to get back to normal, but it's seemingly pretty impractical to do so right now.
RE: The NBA would have been better served going  
Jim in Fairfax : 6/26/2020 4:25 pm : link
In comment 14925269 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
to Hawaii or the Northeast.


Antarctica! Only place that’s virus free.

RE: RE: The NBA would have been better served going  
Mad Mike : 6/26/2020 4:52 pm : link
In comment 14925275 Jim in Fairfax said:
Quote:
Antarctica! Only place that’s virus free.

That would be must-see tv.
Speaking of golf  
Stan in LA : 6/26/2020 6:24 pm : link
Phil is leading after 2 rounds!
RE: they are not getting it from each other  
UConn4523 : 6/26/2020 6:29 pm : link
In comment 14925261 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
the caddies got it at a wake..

Brooks koepka when he is playing gets a house and basically hunkers down with only the people close to him so that is why he withdrww along with his brother..

Webb Simpson was precautionary..

player today tested positive so he withdrww and the guy who plyed with him on thuraday withdrew out of caution


All due respect but you have no idea where they got it, no one does.
RE: RE: they are not getting it from each other  
nygiants16 : 6/26/2020 6:32 pm : link
In comment 14925296 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 14925261 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


the caddies got it at a wake..

Brooks koepka when he is playing gets a house and basically hunkers down with only the people close to him so that is why he withdrww along with his brother..

Webb Simpson was precautionary..

player today tested positive so he withdrww and the guy who plyed with him on thuraday withdrew out of caution



All due respect but you have no idea where they got it, no one does.


going by what they said on the telecast about the caddies
This is going to be normal for a long time.  
81_Great_Dane : 6/27/2020 12:24 pm : link
We'll get used to seeing a bunch of golfers test positive during a tournament and have to withdraw. At least they're testing and so can find people who are infected and can quarantine them.

I think we'll also get used to seeing a lot of games postponed or cancelled in team sports. The schedules will be pretty ragged. It'll be weird but there will be games to watch... for a while.
RE: This is going to be normal for a long time.  
christian : 6/27/2020 12:41 pm : link
In comment 14925555 81_Great_Dane said:
Quote:
We'll get used to seeing a bunch of golfers test positive during a tournament and have to withdraw. At least they're testing and so can find people who are infected and can quarantine them.

I think we'll also get used to seeing a lot of games postponed or cancelled in team sports. The schedules will be pretty ragged. It'll be weird but there will be games to watch... for a while.


Great observation — sports will have to ride the same ebbs and flows open society will until there is treatment or vaccines. Playing sports precludes the practical measures to prevent infection, so I suspect the infection rate among teams and staff will be higher than the normal population.

I suspect we see lots of players pulled out of participation, as individuals and among small outbreaks.

All of these guys have families and there are plenty of folks in their immediate spheres, personally and professionally they’ll want to protect.
Back to the Corner