for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: Actors that have no business being Actors

montanagiant : 6/29/2020 2:56 am
I'm sorry but Andrew McCarthy is one of those Actors that somehow fell into great movies. If you want to know how to play a wimp just watch any of his movies. He's horrible and completely gets overshadowed by any other average actor. The only movie where he didn't play the same weak-ass rich boy character was "Weekend at Uncle Bernie's" But yet again he got dominated by a guy who plays a dead guy. His best line was "Come on Steff" in "Pretty In Pink" as James Spader dominates the hell out of him.

Kristen Stewart, Miss piggy nose and really plays the same person in virtually every movie with the only difference being the time period of the flick. Just a dislikable actor on multiple levels and has zero depth of character. She is vapid and boring

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: Greg and Section  
section125 : 6/30/2020 7:02 am : link
In comment 14926564 XBRONX said:
Quote:
We know you both hate people who are fortunately not like you.


Ha - talking about the pot calling out the kettle. Who is "we" and who do I hate. I don't like Penn. Very good actor, bad life choices..
RE: Mention actors of yore as if they are above current actors is a  
section125 : 6/30/2020 7:08 am : link
In comment 14926563 BlueLou'sBack said:
Quote:
canard.

Streep pretty much stands alone. She is beyond reproach I imagine as the GOAT. The Lawrence Taylor of cinema...


You are right about Hanks. Excellent range.
Also, I have no idea what he's babbling about with Katrina  
Greg from LI : 6/30/2020 7:08 am : link
But a)that was 15 years ago b)I was in Iraq in August 2005 so, yes, I mostly missed Hurricane Katrina
RE: Also, I have no idea what he's babbling about with Katrina  
section125 : 6/30/2020 7:21 am : link
In comment 14926576 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
But a)that was 15 years ago b)I was in Iraq in August 2005 so, yes, I mostly missed Hurricane Katrina


Ha, I passed through Katrina when it was just a blob of weather off the coast of Florida and followed it into the Gulf of Mexico on my way to Houston. Amazing transformation in a couple days...
RE: RE: Greg and Section  
EricJ : 6/30/2020 7:23 am : link
In comment 14926574 section125 said:
Quote:
I don't like Penn. Very good actor, bad life choices..


Madonna was a bad choice...
RE: RE: RE: Greg and Section  
section125 : 6/30/2020 7:29 am : link
In comment 14926580 EricJ said:
Quote:
In comment 14926574 section125 said:


Quote:


I don't like Penn. Very good actor, bad life choices..



Madonna was a bad choice...



IDK, I liked Madonna.....but I have a strange taste in music.
But always been fascinated by Hollywood's use it and lose it marital situation.
Surprised Talia Shire  
johnnyb : 6/30/2020 7:33 am : link
was not mentioned. Nice being the sister of Francis Ford Coppola, someone who actually has talent.
RE: The best part of reading through  
UConn4523 : 6/30/2020 7:37 am : link
In comment 14926538 section125 said:
Quote:
How many Streeps, Hepburns, Brandos, Bogarts, Stewarts are there? Today with CGI and special effects the actors can be less accomplish selling their character.


CGI doesn’t make acting easier, i actually think it adds more difficulty - trying to get into character in front of nothing but a green screen can’t be ideal. And most of the best acting performances have little or no cgi involved anyway.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Greg and Section  
pjcas18 : 6/30/2020 7:47 am : link
In comment 14926581 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 14926580 EricJ said:


Quote:


In comment 14926574 section125 said:


Quote:


I don't like Penn. Very good actor, bad life choices..



Madonna was a bad choice...




IDK, I liked Madonna.....but I have a strange taste in music.
But always been fascinated by Hollywood's use it and lose it marital situation.


I never liked Madonna's music, but as a teenage boy in the 80's Sean Penn may have made some bad life choices, Madonna in the 80's wasn't one of them. Arod made a bad choice with Madonna. Sean Penn did not IMO.

"Barney Rubble...  
PEEJ : 6/30/2020 8:05 am : link
What an actor!"
RE:  
BlueLou'sBack : 6/30/2020 8:34 am : link
In comment 14926586 PEEJ said:
Quote:
What an actor!"


John Goodman was a pretty damn good Fred, though.
RE: RE: The best part of reading through  
Jim in Forest Hills : 6/30/2020 8:47 am : link
In comment 14926583 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
In comment 14926538 section125 said:


Quote:


How many Streeps, Hepburns, Brandos, Bogarts, Stewarts are there? Today with CGI and special effects the actors can be less accomplish selling their character.



CGI doesn’t make acting easier, i actually think it adds more difficulty - trying to get into character in front of nothing but a green screen can’t be ideal. And most of the best acting performances have little or no cgi involved anyway.



I think this is an important point, especially the transition into the CGI world. Case in point - the Start Wars prequels. One of the first films to use extensive cgi all over, and yes Hayden sucked, but what about Portman? One of the best young actresses also sucked. As did Ewan Mcgregor and Liam Neeson. Part of it is the script and direction, but I think they were not prepared at all to act in that new world that Lucas was blazing.
RE: Also, I have no idea what he's babbling about with Katrina  
FatMan in Charlotte : 6/30/2020 8:50 am : link
In comment 14926576 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
But a)that was 15 years ago b)I was in Iraq in August 2005 so, yes, I mostly missed Hurricane Katrina

You never need to know what that fuckface is babbling about. He just babbles. Like a brook in Spring.
The subject thread is *no business being actors*  
MetsAreBack : 6/30/2020 8:56 am : link
and someone mentions Brad Pitt? WTF?

Xbronx is truly insufferable - but i will say Madonna was a good life choice back then. She was undoubtedly a lot of fun in one's late night life.

UConn - my bad on the word 'belittling' - wrong choice of wording and you cant edit prior posts on here. I just meant i didnt think one could claim Keanu only does fun/non-serious movies and thus should be immune to scrutiny, but Ryan Reynolds is somehow a serious thespian with incredible range that should be discussed here.

Bill L - Streep wasnt in Mamma Mia 2 except for a 30 second cameo at the end. She apparently doesn't do sequels. Anyway, the first Mamma Mia wasn't too bad and anything with Amanda Seyfried in it gets a pass regardless.
RE: The subject thread is *no business being actors*  
Bill L : 6/30/2020 8:57 am : link
In comment 14926600 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
and someone mentions Brad Pitt? WTF?

Xbronx is truly insufferable - but i will say Madonna was a good life choice back then. She was undoubtedly a lot of fun in one's late night life.

UConn - my bad on the word 'belittling' - wrong choice of wording and you cant edit prior posts on here. I just meant i didnt think one could claim Keanu only does fun/non-serious movies and thus should be immune to scrutiny, but Ryan Reynolds is somehow a serious thespian with incredible range that should be discussed here.

Bill L - Streep wasnt in Mamma Mia 2 except for a 30 second cameo at the end. She apparently doesn't do sequels. Anyway, the first Mamma Mia wasn't too bad and anything with Amanda Seyfried in it gets a pass regardless.


Yeah, she was a ghost or something at the end. Wasn't a fan at all of the second movie; I just didn't like Streep in the role anyway. Hated Brosnan even more but that's a different thread.
nobody was a fan of that second movie  
MetsAreBack : 6/30/2020 8:59 am : link
it was a typical sequel money grab that everyone hated. I never got through it - laughing at Cher's cosmetic surgery was a brief chuckle though.
RE: The subject thread is *no business being actors*  
Greg from LI : 6/30/2020 9:32 am : link
In comment 14926600 MetsAreBack said:
Quote:
and someone mentions Brad Pitt? WTF?


Right? I mean, I get that people have different tastes in movies and not everyone is going to be a big fan, but that one was just a bizarre choice. Pitt has a fair bit of range and has a really good catalog over the past three decades. No, not everything he did was great, but a lot of it is.
I can't believe I forgot mark Wahlberg  
Matt M. : 6/30/2020 9:44 am : link
and his brother
What is with the Hurricane Katrina talk?  
Matt M. : 6/30/2020 9:45 am : link
I'm not getting it.
Donnie was pretty good in Band of Brothers though  
Greg from LI : 6/30/2020 9:45 am : link
.
RE: I can't believe I forgot mark Wahlberg  
section125 : 6/30/2020 9:47 am : link
In comment 14926623 Matt M. said:
Quote:
and his brother


Never understood the dislike of Mark. Is he Richard Burton? No. Does not need to be.
If it doesn't auto-fast forward to the spot..  
Mike in Long Beach : 6/30/2020 10:06 am : link
Fast forward to the 1:15 mark.
Link - ( New Window )
RE: Donnie was pretty good in Band of Brothers though  
pjcas18 : 6/30/2020 10:12 am : link
In comment 14926626 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
.


tiny role, but he nailed the opening scene in Sixth Sense too.
Megan Fox  
Beer Man : 6/30/2020 10:39 am : link
Kind on the eyes, but can't act
even with the correct title  
fkap : 6/30/2020 10:47 am : link
of "actors who have no business being stars", there's a lot of head scratchers on here.

Most listed are ok at acting, but shouldn't be in as many big roles as they are, and/or have limited acting range, and/or tried roles they shouldn't have.

Jean Claude Van Damme is a guy who has no business being an actor.
RE: even with the correct title  
Bill L : 6/30/2020 10:56 am : link
In comment 14926668 fkap said:
Quote:
of "actors who have no business being stars", there's a lot of head scratchers on here.

Most listed are ok at acting, but shouldn't be in as many big roles as they are, and/or have limited acting range, and/or tried roles they shouldn't have.

Jean Claude Van Damme is a guy who has no business being an actor.

or the Highlander guy (forgot his name)
Mark Wahlberg is a terrible actor  
UConn4523 : 6/30/2020 12:46 pm : link
but he's grown on me a bit with the comedic roles like The Other Guys and Daddy's Home - he's perfect for them. Basically playing Dignam from the Departed though not as R rated.

Guilty pleasure from him is Contraband. Don't know why I like that movie but I do.
Contraband is dumb but entertaining  
Greg from LI : 6/30/2020 12:52 pm : link
Mark Wahlberg is a good example of what I meant earlier by actors who look terrible when they try to work outside their limited range. He does action and wiseass comedy decently enough. When he tries to do something else (eg, his laughable performance in The Happening), he looks terrible.

That means he's a limited actor, which I think the majority of them are. Not who I would say has no business being a actor.
RE: Mark Wahlberg is a terrible actor  
MetsAreBack : 6/30/2020 12:53 pm : link
In comment 14926765 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
but he's grown on me a bit with the comedic roles like The Other Guys and Daddy's Home - he's perfect for them. Basically playing Dignam from the Departed though not as R rated.

Guilty pleasure from him is Contraband. Don't know why I like that movie but I do.


I'm guessing a few on here dont care for Wahlberg because of the Vince Papali role... i've got no issue with him personally, and he didnt act much in it, but he gets credit for Entourage in my view too.
I thought  
pjcas18 : 6/30/2020 12:53 pm : link
instant family was entertaining. I watched it on a plane and it easily killed the 2 hours.

I watched the Mule on that same flight (Boston to Zurich).

and I killed 4 hours of the trip easily.

I liked both movies.
but did you see  
UConn4523 : 6/30/2020 1:19 pm : link
Pain and Gain? Up there on the one of the worst movies I've ever seen list.
RE: but did you see  
pjcas18 : 6/30/2020 1:28 pm : link
In comment 14926787 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
Pain and Gain? Up there on the one of the worst movies I've ever seen list.


Never saw it. I liked Ted with Wahlberg. One of those movies you have to be in the right mood for, but if you're in the right mood it's pretty hilarious.

Otherwise I haven't seen a lot with Wahlberg. Fear, Perfect Storm, the Fighter, and I think that's it other than the other two mentioned.

RE: RE: but did you see  
Bill L : 6/30/2020 1:30 pm : link
In comment 14926797 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14926787 UConn4523 said:


Quote:


Pain and Gain? Up there on the one of the worst movies I've ever seen list.



Never saw it. I liked Ted with Wahlberg. One of those movies you have to be in the right mood for, but if you're in the right mood it's pretty hilarious.

Otherwise I haven't seen a lot with Wahlberg. Fear, Perfect Storm, the Fighter, and I think that's it other than the other two mentioned.


Different strokes...Ted is on my list of all-time most hated movies. I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I grew up on a talking bear. One who's stuffed and is vulgar just doesn't do it for me.
Ted is stupid  
pjcas18 : 6/30/2020 1:33 pm : link
and sometimes I can't change the channel fast enough if it's on, but sometimes I leave it and laugh out loud at how stupid some of it is.

The first time, with some surprise  
Beezer : 6/30/2020 1:38 pm : link
at just how brazen this cute little bear was, it was such a contrast that it made me laugh a few times.

Watch a scene from Ted a second time, and it's cringe-worthy.
2 Guns  
GManinDC : 6/30/2020 1:51 pm : link
With Wahlberg and Denzel
Wahlberg was also pretty good in  
GManinDC : 6/30/2020 1:52 pm : link
The Four Brothers
RE: Not one mention of Will Smith?  
santacruzom : 6/30/2020 2:00 pm : link
In comment 14926416 Route 9 said:
Quote:
He's a terrible actor.


If you watch Six Degrees of Separation, you'll probably change your mind.
at the moment  
santacruzom : 6/30/2020 2:03 pm : link
I can't think of many actors who've been terrible in a role to the point of distraction. I know I've seen some, but I just can't think of any off hand...

...except for one. The girl who plays Brianna in Outlander is absolutely show-stopping in the worst way.
oh, and despite being a fan favorite  
santacruzom : 6/30/2020 2:04 pm : link
Chloe from 24 was a bad actress showcase.
RE: at the moment  
pjcas18 : 6/30/2020 2:09 pm : link
In comment 14926826 santacruzom said:
Quote:
I can't think of many actors who've been terrible in a role to the point of distraction. I know I've seen some, but I just can't think of any off hand...

...except for one. The girl who plays Brianna in Outlander is absolutely show-stopping in the worst way.


is she the same actress for all the seasons? It seemed like she was more attractive in earlier seasons but her attractiveness somehow waned once she traveled back.

oh wow, Chloe from 24, there's a blast from the past  
Greg from LI : 6/30/2020 2:29 pm : link
I haven't watched 24 in forever, probably 15 years or so, but I do remember the stupid faces she would make.
RE: Wahlberg was also pretty good in  
Chris in Philly : 6/30/2020 2:50 pm : link
In comment 14926820 GManinDC said:
Quote:
The Four Brothers


A remake of the Sons of Katie Elder, if I remember correctly...
Christopher!!!  
GManinDC : 6/30/2020 3:34 pm : link
How the hell are you!
RE: Andie McDowell  
Crispino : 7/2/2020 8:22 am : link
In comment 14926112 MadPlaid said:
Quote:
She's nice to look at, but couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. Hell, she's so bad in Tarzan, Earl of Greystoke, they dubbed her with Glenn Close, a truly amazing actor.

Four Weddings and a Funeral is a terrific movie. She, however, is just awful in it. Cringe worthy.


But you have to admit, she nailed it with “Is it raining? I hadn’t noticed.”
Magic.🙄


RE: Christopher!!!  
Chris in Philly : 7/2/2020 8:52 am : link
In comment 14926870 GManinDC said:
Quote:
How the hell are you!


Good to see you around, my man. I missed you on our birthday last year!
Thanks  
GManinDC : 7/2/2020 9:40 am : link
I had to get away for awhile. I think 5 years. We can get the thread started this year!
RE: Mark Wahlberg is a terrible actor  
sb from NYT Forum : 7/2/2020 1:03 pm : link
In comment 14926765 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
but he's grown on me a bit with the comedic roles like The Other Guys and Daddy's Home - he's perfect for them. Basically playing Dignam from the Departed though not as R rated.

Guilty pleasure from him is Contraband. Don't know why I like that movie but I do.


I thought he was really good in Departed and Boogie Nights. I think he's cashing in now though.
angie  
xman : 11:33 am : link
harmon is pretty bad
I thought Wahlberg was good in "Mile 22"  
montanagiant : 12:02 pm : link
Which is his newest movie.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner