for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Suppose the 1987 season ruining strike never happened

jnoble : 6/30/2020 6:39 pm
Do we get back to back SB wins? Or at least return to the big game?
I think  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 6/30/2020 6:47 pm : link
that one is impossible to speculate on.

People forget they started 0-2 before the strike. On the other hand, there was time to fix things still if they didn't go 0-5. Bavaro and Banks actually had incredible seasons that year.
Didn't we start 0-2 before the strike?  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 6/30/2020 6:48 pm : link
So it's not like we were off to a hot start.
Eric  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 6/30/2020 6:48 pm : link
Didn't Banks make the All Pro team in 87?
RE: Eric  
mfsd : 6/30/2020 6:52 pm : link
In comment 14926994 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
Didn't Banks make the All Pro team in 87?


That’s my memory, 87 was Banks career year. Coming off the way he dominated in the 86 SB run

I recall the perception was the Giants spent the off-season partying and basking in their SB win, which contributed to their slow start. But as Eric said, that team was still stacked, and had plenty of time to recover had the strike not hit.

I think one example was Joe Morris, after his great 85 and 86 campaigns, didn’t come back in great shape and had a down season. At least, that’s what I remember my old man saying
we lost to the Bears in Chicago  
bluepepper : 6/30/2020 7:13 pm : link
and then to a mediocre Cowboys team when Allegre whiffed on a last second FG. We would have started winning games if not for the strike. After that, the hole was just too deep and Parcells was really pissed about the whole strike thing so the locker room was not good.

No strike I'd guess 10 or 11 wins but SB very unlikely.

I'm in the we'd have rebounded camp  
SGMen : 6/30/2020 7:19 pm : link
10 wins and possibly the playoffs but another SB? Possibly...
Parcells  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 6/30/2020 8:04 pm : link
later said his biggest mistake was trying "to pick up where they left off" instead of "starting where they started".
RE: Parcells  
SGMen : 6/30/2020 8:35 pm : link
In comment 14927030 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
later said his biggest mistake was trying "to pick up where they left off" instead of "starting where they started".
Well said! I recall as a young man going to a club near Giants stadium, I think LT was a part owner too, LT was there drinking and so help me I recall him having a gut. I'm thinking it actually was likely 1988 as I was 21 that year and got out of active duty Army. My point is that I think post '86 "living up the great win" had to have played a part in the Giants slow start.
As for Joe Morris, he worked out at the old APA Trucking in North Bergen. He would squat like over 580 for reps, no joke, as I recall. Pure lower leg power.
RE: RE: Parcells  
NINEster : 6/30/2020 9:45 pm : link
In comment 14927044 SGMen said:
Quote:
In comment 14927030 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


later said his biggest mistake was trying "to pick up where they left off" instead of "starting where they started".

Well said! I recall as a young man going to a club near Giants stadium, I think LT was a part owner too, LT was there drinking and so help me I recall him having a gut. I'm thinking it actually was likely 1988 as I was 21 that year and got out of active duty Army. My point is that I think post '86 "living up the great win" had to have played a part in the Giants slow start.
As for Joe Morris, he worked out at the old APA Trucking in North Bergen. He would squat like over 580 for reps, no joke, as I recall. Pure lower leg power.


I heard his bench was ridiculous like over 500. Definitely over 400.
RE: RE: RE: Parcells  
SGMen : 6/30/2020 9:58 pm : link
In comment 14927073 NINEster said:
Quote:
In comment 14927044 SGMen said:


Quote:


In comment 14927030 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


later said his biggest mistake was trying "to pick up where they left off" instead of "starting where they started".

Well said! I recall as a young man going to a club near Giants stadium, I think LT was a part owner too, LT was there drinking and so help me I recall him having a gut. I'm thinking it actually was likely 1988 as I was 21 that year and got out of active duty Army. My point is that I think post '86 "living up the great win" had to have played a part in the Giants slow start.
As for Joe Morris, he worked out at the old APA Trucking in North Bergen. He would squat like over 580 for reps, no joke, as I recall. Pure lower leg power.



I heard his bench was ridiculous like over 500. Definitely over 400.
My high school buddy, Dennis Cieri, holds the world record at 198 pounds: I believe it is a 538 pound bench. If Joe Morris did 500 or close to it, he is definitely world class as he weighed like 200 I believe. I wouldn't be shocked. I do know he had the strongest legs at the APA gym.
The loss at Chicago  
JonC : 7/1/2020 9:14 am : link
is the main reason people talk about could the Giants have beaten the Bears at Soldier Field in '86.

Giants weren't ready to begin the '87 season, and the strike did zero favors to giving the season a chance to get going. Giants had plenty of talent but just weren't ready to play football, and during those years the Bears, Redskins, 49ers were all top teams to contend with.
Also  
Essex : 7/1/2020 10:04 am : link
The NFC was not that strong that year I think the NFC title game was Washington vs. Minnesota. There was no doubt in my mind that we could have come back, despite the 0-2 start and made some noise if not for the strike. But again, just speculation
that 87 team was 6-6  
djm : 7/1/2020 10:34 am : link
for a reason. Some great individual efforts (Banks, bavaro) but the team wasn't cohesive or sharp all year long. Wasn't happening that year no matter how much we want to blame the strike.
and let's be honest  
djm : 7/1/2020 10:36 am : link
the odds of the Giants going 2-1 in those strike replacement games (Skins, SF and Bills) were very low. The 87 Skins and Niners were excellent.
RE: The loss at Chicago  
Greg from LI : 7/1/2020 11:51 am : link
In comment 14927166 JonC said:
Quote:
is the main reason people talk about could the Giants have beaten the Bears at Soldier Field in '86.


Which is silly, because the Bears sucked ass after McMahon went down. They only went 14-2 because the NFC Central of 1986 was one of the weakest divisions in the history of the NFL, with three 10+ loss teams, one of which (Tampa) was one of the worst teams in NFL history.
Blowing a 10 pint 4th quarter lead at Dallas  
LTIsTheGreatest : 7/1/2020 3:11 pm : link
and losing that game was the back breaker that season. Simms got hurt late in that game and Rutledge had to take over which killed any chance Giants had of getting to playoffs that year
Giants probably a 9-10 win team in 87  
hassan : 7/2/2020 11:20 am : link
with no strike. tough schedule. Not motivated and distracted.
Back to the Corner