for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NGT: Investors urging sponsors to cut ties with 'Skins

MattyKid : 7/2/2020 10:35 am
unless they change their name.
Link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
Kata Mara is leading the push  
KDavies : 7/2/2020 10:42 am : link
find that interesting.

They should go with an empty circle like Land O'Lakes
love that Kate is leading the charge  
djm : 7/2/2020 10:45 am : link
it just adds more fuel to the skins fans fire that the Giants are their mortal enemy and stop at nothing to see that franchise falter. Even when we suck, we own that sorry ass team.
Well  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 7/2/2020 11:28 am : link
"Bullets" is now available.
This has gone on too long...  
trueblueinpw : 7/2/2020 11:35 am : link
Iโ€™m no snowflake, but I think youโ€™d have to be pretty biased to fail to see this is a racial epithet.

Whatโ€™s the big deal with changing the name anyway? You get some positive press, you make people happy and you sell some new merch.

Seriously, this is the hill Synder is dying on? Makes no sense.
.  
GiantEgo : 7/2/2020 11:40 am : link
There are so many cool names a Washington team could adopt. How on earth did Redskins ever get picked?
So can you keep the native american theme and hence the Logo?  
weeg in the bronx : 7/2/2020 12:05 pm : link
Like the Braves or the Seminoles or is that off limits now?
RE: .  
Mad Mike : 7/2/2020 12:17 pm : link
In comment 14927861 GiantEgo said:
Quote:
There are so many cool names a Washington team could adopt. How on earth did Redskins ever get picked?

They started in Boston as the Braves, sharing a stadium with the namesake baseball team. They then moved to Fenway and changed to the Redskins. The team has (recently) claimed the change was to honor their coach at the time who had native american heritage, though I don't think there's anything documented about the change other than the owner at the time saying he wanted to avoid confusion with the baseball Braves, and that he wanted to bring back "Indian football". (Also, apparently that coach's heritage is somewhat in dispute, and he may have been posing as a native american for some government benefits).
RE: .  
section125 : 7/2/2020 12:22 pm : link
In comment 14927861 GiantEgo said:
Quote:
There are so many cool names a Washington team could adopt. How on earth did Redskins ever get picked?


You do understand that their name is very, very old. Long before anybody thought about it.

If the Washingtons truly want to keep a Native American name theme, ask a local nation's permission to use their name and pay a naming rights fee.

It is such a source of consternation that they really need to bite the "bullet" and change.
Good.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 7/2/2020 12:23 pm : link
I think it's inevitable too, as much as Dan might put up a fight.
Good  
Anakim : 7/2/2020 12:25 pm : link
Fuck that organization and its history and fuck Dan Snyder
RE: Good  
Chris in Philly : 7/2/2020 12:30 pm : link
In comment 14927908 Anakim said:
Quote:
Fuck that organization and its history and fuck Dan Snyder


This adequately sums up my thoughts on the matter.
RE: RE: .  
ZogZerg : 7/2/2020 12:38 pm : link
In comment 14927895 Mad Mike said:
Quote:
In comment 14927861 GiantEgo said:


Quote:


There are so many cool names a Washington team could adopt. How on earth did Redskins ever get picked?


They started in Boston as the Braves, sharing a stadium with the namesake baseball team. They then moved to Fenway and changed to the Redskins. The team has (recently) claimed the change was to honor their coach at the time who had native american heritage, though I don't think there's anything documented about the change other than the owner at the time saying he wanted to avoid confusion with the baseball Braves, and that he wanted to bring back "Indian football". (Also, apparently that coach's heritage is somewhat in dispute, and he may have been posing as a native american for some government benefits).


I had the same exact question.
Thanks for the history.

Snyder needs to get off his high horse and take some action. I assume this is all about money and he thinks the value of his team will go down if he changes the name. If he can come up with a cool name, he could make a ton of money selling new merchandise.

In fact, Washington sucks so bad now, this would be the perfect time to change the name.
RE: So can you keep the native american theme and hence the Logo?  
section125 : 7/2/2020 12:39 pm : link
In comment 14927883 weeg in the bronx said:
Quote:
Like the Braves or the Seminoles or is that off limits now?


FSU has special permission from the Seminole Nations. In order to keep using the Seminole name, FSU has to meet certain criteria one of which is all students need to take a class on Native American history/heritage(IIRC).
Done with permission, dignity and honor I do not see a problem. IMHO
RE: RE: .  
Platos : 7/2/2020 12:45 pm : link
In comment 14927895 Mad Mike said:
Quote:
In comment 14927861 GiantEgo said:


Quote:


There are so many cool names a Washington team could adopt. How on earth did Redskins ever get picked?


They started in Boston as the Braves, sharing a stadium with the namesake baseball team. They then moved to Fenway and changed to the Redskins. The team has (recently) claimed the change was to honor their coach at the time who had native american heritage, though I don't think there's anything documented about the change other than the owner at the time saying he wanted to avoid confusion with the baseball Braves, and that he wanted to bring back "Indian football". (Also, apparently that coach's heritage is somewhat in dispute, and he may have been posing as a native american for some government benefits).


thank god the coach wasn't black!
RE: Well  
BMac : 7/2/2020 12:51 pm : link
In comment 14927851 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
"Bullets" is now available.


How about the "Washington Assault Rifles," or "The Dukes of Washington"?
not that i dont think redskins is derogatory as FK  
Platos : 7/2/2020 12:53 pm : link
but i don't think having native american themed team names/logos is racist. Theres got to be a middle ground somewhere. Braves? cmon. the cleveland indian logo looks racist but THATS WHAT CARTOON CARICATURES ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE. if it was the cleveland greeks, the logo would have a big nose and furry eyebrows.

the same logo with a different name could work.

i was also not a fan of the bullets/wizard change. aesthetically it was horrible.
RE: not that i dont think redskins is derogatory as FK  
Mad Mike : 7/2/2020 1:00 pm : link
In comment 14927928 Platos said:
Quote:
but i don't think having native american themed team names/logos is racist. Theres got to be a middle ground somewhere. Braves? cmon. the cleveland indian logo looks racist but THATS WHAT CARTOON CARICATURES ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE. if it was the cleveland greeks, the logo would have a big nose and furry eyebrows.

the same logo with a different name could work.

So as long as a team's name isn't too bluntly offensive, a sambo doll works for a logo?
heh  
ATL_Giants : 7/2/2020 1:00 pm : link
RE: RE: not that i dont think redskins is derogatory as FK  
weeg in the bronx : 7/2/2020 1:09 pm : link
In comment 14927933 Mad Mike said:
Quote:
In comment 14927928 Platos said:


Quote:


but i don't think having native american themed team names/logos is racist. Theres got to be a middle ground somewhere. Braves? cmon. the cleveland indian logo looks racist but THATS WHAT CARTOON CARICATURES ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE. if it was the cleveland greeks, the logo would have a big nose and furry eyebrows.

the same logo with a different name could work.


So as long as a team's name isn't too bluntly offensive, a sambo doll works for a logo?


Depends. On the left is Sambo imagery, on the right is what was used as the basis for the ND logo.


[img]https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.victoriana.com%2Fhistory%2Firish-political-cartoons.html&psig=AOvVaw0gtHAmvpQi99j0bb2gLA21&ust=1593795831485000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPicgamGr-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ
RE: RE: RE: .  
Gary from The East End : Admin : 7/2/2020 1:43 pm : link
In comment 14927922 Platos said:
Quote:
In comment 14927895 Mad Mike said


thank god the coach wasn't black!


I had a joke here and then I thought better of it.
Some of these corporate  
pjcas18 : 7/2/2020 1:52 pm : link
logo/mascot cancellations are misguided IMO and not impactful, but the Redskins is not one of them.

I'm pretty surprised the name hasn't been changed yet. Braves, Chiefs, Blackhawks, and Indians I can see a case for too, but they are not derogatory per se, like the Redskins.

Seems like Snider has his heels firmly dug in, I hope they stay that way, so more and more people hate them and create unnecessary distractions.

It would be nice  
Mike in Marin : 7/2/2020 2:00 pm : link
If it could be decided by some type of vote by Native Americans. That way we would actually know if it is wanted to be changed by more than just a minority of outspoken activists and a few others. I'm all for changing it, but only if the majority of people's whose opinions actually matter and not the Kate Mara's of the world.

Didn't they do a poll a few years ago and found most (native americans?) don't want it changed ?
Keep the name  
winoguy : 7/2/2020 2:04 pm : link
and change the logo to a potatoe...
The Washington Marxists  
sober297 : 7/2/2020 2:07 pm : link
.
RE: Well  
BUgiantfan : 7/2/2020 2:09 pm : link
In comment 14927851 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
"Bullets" is now available.


๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

This would be absolutely amazing if it happened!
winoguy  
Devour the Day : 7/2/2020 2:10 pm : link
is onto something here. Good idea.
RE: Keep the name  
Ben in Tampa : 7/2/2020 2:20 pm : link
In comment 14927976 winoguy said:
Quote:
and change the logo to a potatoe...


Best idea I've heard yet.

just change the name to the 'Hogs'  
giants#1 : 7/2/2020 2:50 pm : link
Fits well with Haskins now QB and face of the franchise!










(referencing his predraft workouts...)
Give me a fucking break.  
Knineteen : 7/2/2020 2:50 pm : link
"Investors" give a shit about one thing and one thing only...money.

Redskins changes their name, apparel companies sell a bunch of new merchandise, investors make more money.

That's it, plain and simple.
the problem with  
Platos : 7/2/2020 3:15 pm : link
comparing caricatures to sambos is that black people don't look like sambo characters. thats just racist white people shit.

to me the term Indian as a team name is worse than the logo(maybe have the logo in red doesn't help).

but the redskins logo doesn't seem offensive. the name sure as hell does. the question is would people find "the washington Tribes" or "Tribesman" offensive too in this climate where everything is offensive.
The football team that plays its games in Washington  
FearTheHippo : 7/2/2020 3:29 pm : link
They couldn't do worse than "Nationals." What a god awful name.
Danny Boy could  
cjd2404 : 7/2/2020 3:36 pm : link
just change it to synderskins (which I think people use anyway to refer to him) and then put his profile pic on the helmet. It would totally stroke his ego.
maybe  
Platos : 7/2/2020 3:43 pm : link
the ForeSkins but that might be offensive to the Jewish folks.
why not just the Washington Skins , that's all inclusive  
gtt350 : 7/2/2020 3:47 pm : link
all skins matter
RE: just change the name to the 'Hogs'  
Mike from SI : 7/2/2020 3:52 pm : link
In comment 14928002 giants#1 said:
Quote:
Fits well with Haskins now QB and face of the franchise!










(referencing his predraft workouts...)


Or change it to Hog Mollies and trade them Gettleman.
RE: Give me a fucking break.  
Spider56 : 7/2/2020 4:40 pm : link
In comment 14928003 Knineteen said:
Quote:
"Investors" give a shit about one thing and one thing only...money.

Redskins changes their name, apparel companies sell a bunch of new merchandise, investors make more money.

That's it, plain and simple.


+1 ... but you know the social media nitwits are going to jump on the bandwagon ... this country with its lack of balls and brains is fast going down the shitter.
Enough of this liberal bullshit!  
Tark10 : 7/2/2020 4:42 pm : link
Nobody bitches except snowflakes and liberals. Who cares. Next it will be the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Rangers, and God knows what else! If the flakes don't like the name, don't watch the game!
RE: RE: .  
GiantEgo : 7/2/2020 4:43 pm : link
In comment 14927904 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 14927861 GiantEgo said:


Quote:


There are so many cool names a Washington team could adopt. How on earth did Redskins ever get picked?



You do understand that their name is very, very old. Long before anybody thought about it.

If the Washingtons truly want to keep a Native American name theme, ask a local nation's permission to use their name and pay a naming rights fee.

It is such a source of consternation that they really need to bite the "bullet" and change.


It was a racial slur 100 years ago and its a slur now.
AND.. to add one more comment..  
Tark10 : 7/2/2020 4:44 pm : link
The name GIANTS will soon be under fire as well because it is offensive to short people.
RE: RE: RE: .  
Spider56 : 7/2/2020 4:49 pm : link
In comment 14928051 GiantEgo said:
Quote:
In comment 14927904 section125 said:


Quote:


In comment 14927861 GiantEgo said:


Quote:


There are so many cool names a Washington team could adopt. How on earth did Redskins ever get picked?



You do understand that their name is very, very old. Long before anybody thought about it.

If the Washingtons truly want to keep a Native American name theme, ask a local nation's permission to use their name and pay a naming rights fee.

It is such a source of consternation that they really need to bite the "bullet" and change.



It was a racial slur 100 years ago and its a slur now.


MEOW !
they should change their name to the 'Natives'  
ImThatGuy : 7/2/2020 5:10 pm : link
I've said this for years

It will help to honor the community/population that they have denigrated for so many years
It shold be more generic and true to principle  
Bill L : 7/2/2020 5:19 pm : link
Change it to something like "The Washington [Your Name Here] and put it out to bid.

Truly, the whole mascot thing is stupid and childish in the first place.
From an old ArenaFan thread  
JohnF : 7/2/2020 5:59 pm : link
Years ago, Snyder was going to buy an Arena League team to play in D.C. He trademarked "Warriors", and I think he still has that name in case the NFL makes him drop the current nickname.
Opps  
JohnF : 7/2/2020 6:03 pm : link
Trademarked "Washington Warriors".
RE: From an old ArenaFan thread  
Anakim : 7/2/2020 6:37 pm : link
In comment 14928086 JohnF said:
Quote:
Years ago, Snyder was going to buy an Arena League team to play in D.C. He trademarked "Warriors", and I think he still has that name in case the NFL makes him drop the current nickname.


I don't like it when two "Big 4" sports teams share a nickname
RE: Enough of this liberal bullshit!  
Anakim : 7/2/2020 6:40 pm : link
In comment 14928048 Tark10 said:
Quote:
Nobody bitches except snowflakes and liberals. Who cares. Next it will be the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Rangers, and God knows what else! If the flakes don't like the name, don't watch the game!


Thanks for the rhyme, Johnny Cochran. And thanks for your input. We know you were part of the targeted group after all.
RE: RE: From an old ArenaFan thread  
pjcas18 : 7/2/2020 6:41 pm : link
In comment 14928100 Anakim said:
Quote:
In comment 14928086 JohnF said:


Quote:


Years ago, Snyder was going to buy an Arena League team to play in D.C. He trademarked "Warriors", and I think he still has that name in case the NFL makes him drop the current nickname.



I don't like it when two "Big 4" sports teams share a nickname


Like the Giants and Rangers?
RE: RE: RE: From an old ArenaFan thread  
Anakim : 7/2/2020 6:43 pm : link
In comment 14928103 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 14928100 Anakim said:


Quote:


In comment 14928086 JohnF said:


Quote:


Years ago, Snyder was going to buy an Arena League team to play in D.C. He trademarked "Warriors", and I think he still has that name in case the NFL makes him drop the current nickname.



I don't like it when two "Big 4" sports teams share a nickname



Like the Giants and Rangers?


Yessir...but that doesn't mean WEEEEE have to change it. Theyyyy should be the ones to change their names :P WE'VEEEEE been around longer so WEEEE get priority.
Sorry to break it to you  
pjcas18 : 7/2/2020 6:56 pm : link
but the NY Giants (football team) are named after the NY Giants (baseball team - now the SF Giants).

That's why the old school guys would still sometimes call them the "New York Football Giants" - for a period of time (in like the 30's or 40's) that was literally their nickname.



Bahahaha!  
Spider43 : 7/2/2020 7:28 pm : link
Couldn't have happened to a nicer owner or fanbase.
Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner