for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

This whole game centered on the run blitzing

PatersonPlank : 9/15/2020 9:35 am
and our inability to handle it (yet again). If we can run a little then there is less pressure on the passing game, the offense can be less predictable, and the offense stays on the field thus giving the defense more rest. You saw the D get worn out in Q4.

Sure the other team is run blitzing, Tomlin said the whole gameplan is to stop Barkley. Until Jones/Slayton/etc show they can win a game this will continue. However other teams deal with it. You don't think the Titans or Panthers get run blitzed all the time? You don't see CMC or Henry getting hit 2 yards behind the LOS by 3 DL players?

When being blitzed the TE and FB need to block too, and I believe this is as big an issue for us as the OL. Screw this "can't catch Engram crap", if we want to run we need a blocking TE in there. If you want Engram on the field make him a WR and get it over with.

Having said this the other side is that Slayton is getting a lot of 1-on-1, so he is looking good. If Jones can light it up then that could get them out of run blitzing too. However that is hit or miss, because run blitzes turn into a pass rush pretty dam quick.

I have a lot more confidence in Garrett and Colombo to figure this than Shurmer and Big Mac. However they need to make it happen quick.
Now we have film against a quality opponent  
antdog24 : 9/15/2020 9:38 am : link
and not ourselves. Lets see what kind of adjustments the coaches make now.
There's run blitzing and then there's  
Dave on the UWS : 9/15/2020 9:40 am : link
the Steelers run blitzing. They have maybe THE most athletic front seven overall, in the league. Normally, run blitzing with 5 and 6 every down, will cost you. The Giants weren't able to make them pay enough to get them out of it. I suspect, they will get better each week at handling it.
With NO pre season games, this was a really tough chore for a new OL to handle it. They were able to allow Jones to function in the pass game pretty well. Realistically, that's probably the best we could have expected.
RE: Now we have film against a quality opponent  
section125 : 9/15/2020 9:40 am : link
In comment 14972772 antdog24 said:
Quote:
and not ourselves. Lets see what kind of adjustments the coaches make now.


Yep..plus, how many teams in the NFL have the players to do what the Steelers did?
To my untrained eye  
NoPeanutz : 9/15/2020 9:47 am : link
the team played hard, but they got killed. Some things worked well (lots of defense, pass protection, etc). And Some things broke hard and killed the team- namely the run blocking and crossing routes. But those are things that can be fixed. An honest failure can be productive- highlighting areas for improvement and making the team stronger.

If last night's loss was honest, the Giants are an open book with nothing to hide. Legitimately strong in some areas- and as of Monday obviously lacking in others. Chicago now HAS to attack one of those weak points- but the Giants also now recognize it as a weak point that needs to be reinforced. If they can fix it by Sunday, then Chicago will need another gameplan. Light is the best disinfectant as they say.
As Dave above said  
BillT : 9/15/2020 9:49 am : link
There is run blitzing and then there is the Steelers run blitzing. Other teams won’t have their success or not pay the price for doing so. I’m really not worried about the OL. Three/four games from now and this is still going on then we’ll have something to talk about. I think we’ll see a difference even against the Bears D.
RE: RE: Now we have film against a quality opponent  
Dinger : 9/15/2020 9:49 am : link
In comment 14972781 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 14972772 antdog24 said:


Quote:


and not ourselves. Lets see what kind of adjustments the coaches make now.



Yep..plus, how many teams in the NFL have the players to do what the Steelers did?


After Sunday, a lot of media types were saying WFT have that. I'm not sure they do, but on paper and against a banged up eagles team they did. And we face them twice a year. Also when will fletcher cox retire?
RE: To my untrained eye  
Angel Eyes : 9/15/2020 9:59 am : link
In comment 14972795 NoPeanutz said:
Quote:
the team played hard, but they got killed. Some things worked well (lots of defense, pass protection, etc). And Some things broke hard and killed the team- namely the run blocking and crossing routes. But those are things that can be fixed. An honest failure can be productive- highlighting areas for improvement and making the team stronger.

If last night's loss was honest, the Giants are an open book with nothing to hide. Legitimately strong in some areas- and as of Monday obviously lacking in others. Chicago now HAS to attack one of those weak points- but the Giants also now recognize it as a weak point that needs to be reinforced. If they can fix it by Sunday, then Chicago will need another gameplan. Light is the best disinfectant as they say.

... Set up Khalil Mack at the LDE spot opposite Cam Fleming?
I saw a statistic  
Fred-in-Florida : 9/15/2020 10:02 am : link
on ESPN where Jones was blitzed the most and pressured the most then any other QB in the league.

Would have liked  
PEEJ : 9/15/2020 10:02 am : link
some misdirection
Was begging  
Thegratefulhead : 9/15/2020 10:04 am : link
for a half back pass.
I agree PP...  
BillKo : 9/15/2020 10:05 am : link
....Engram gives you zero in terms of blocking from a TE perspective.

I'd really like to know how he graded out for this game.

Move him out more and let him go against smaller DB's he can box out.
Fleming is probably adequate, no more  
Dave on the UWS : 9/15/2020 10:05 am : link
I think the right players are in the other spots so that improvement week to week can be expected. Also having your MOST difficult challenge right out of the box, will help them in the long run.
Back to the Corner