for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Giants dead last in Adjusted Line Yards for run blocking

Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 10/16/2020 3:03 pm
From Football Outsiders.

Quote:
Why are these rankings different from the team offense DVOA ratings for rushing? Among other reasons, they don't include quarterbacks or fumbles, long runs are truncated, and a different set of adjustments is used, attempting to isolate line play rather than total team offense.


Giants are 30th in "Stuffed": Percentage of runs where the running back is tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage, and dead last in Second Level Yards, where running backs earn between 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries.

Hog Mollies indeed.
Link - ( New Window )
of course they are  
islander1 : 10/16/2020 3:04 pm : link
Barkley getting hit behind the LOS on half of his carries pre-injury was a dead giveaway.
the OL gettleman cobbled together in 2018  
japanhead : 10/16/2020 3:10 pm : link
with ham brown, spencer pulley and chad wheeler looked better than the 2020 line. in fact, the OL has gotten slightly worse every year since he was hired and stated that his priority was fixing it.

just a huge embarrassing failure.
OL  
Dragon : 10/16/2020 3:15 pm : link
Is and will always be a man on man war with sometimes additional help being provided but these guys are being destroyed in the trenches.
DJ  
Dragon : 10/16/2020 3:18 pm : link
Appreciate him a hell of a lot more without his feet how many sacks would we be giving up each game 7/8 or even more?
None probably  
Black_Flag : 10/16/2020 6:43 pm : link
or next to none. Running "strategy" isn't really all that important.

It really mostly boils down to keeping defenses guessing -- it could be pass or it could be run before the ball is snapped.

The rest is basically your o line being able to out muscle their d line and your back keeping his feet moving and getting extra yards.

That is pretty much it.Acting like running exists in a vacuum is dumb.

Jones can't throw deep that is the problem. DO's are willing to give up the occasional Jones run .
The OL is an absolute and utter disgrace.  
Dave in Hoboken : 10/16/2020 6:47 pm : link
The fact that a living being, let alone an NFL GM, thought this would be even just a somewhat effective OL is absolutely scary.
I do not know  
rocco8112 : 10/17/2020 5:57 am : link
if stats are kept long term on this. But the Giants probably lead the NFL in Stuffed Shit runs for loss since 2013.

This past week was like seeing a mirage as the o line was getting some push in the run game and Freeman was hitting the point of attack fast and hard. Nothing Earth shattering, but it kinda looked like an average NFL run game.


In a losing effort of course.
Id argue, and of course it’s early  
Tuckrule : 10/17/2020 11:20 am : link
Thomas has been a downgrade from solder
Hernandez returning starter
Gates and halapio are probably a wash at this point.
Zeitler returning starter
Fleming is worse than remmers

So overall one year removed and the line is worse. That’s a fact. Of course, and I need to say it again or bbi will kill me, this line has potential but right now this line is playing worse football than last years
RE: None probably  
Bill L : 10/17/2020 11:25 am : link
In comment 15010849 Black_Flag said:
Quote:
or next to none. Running "strategy" isn't really all that important.

It really mostly boils down to keeping defenses guessing -- it could be pass or it could be run before the ball is snapped.

The rest is basically your o line being able to out muscle their d line and your back keeping his feet moving and getting extra yards.

That is pretty much it.Acting like running exists in a vacuum is dumb.

Jones can't throw deep that is the problem. DO's are willing to give up the occasional Jones run .


I don't think you know enough to say.

No time on one end and no separation on the other allow for very little evidence to be obtained as to the true abilities for the man in the middle.
How would we rank  
tomjgiant : 10/18/2020 9:47 am : link
If you took out the first two games.The running game has been much improved lately.As with everything else this team needs time to grow together.
RE: RE: None probably  
Black_Flag : 10/20/2020 10:21 am : link
In comment 15011134 Bill L said:
Quote:
In comment 15010849 Black_Flag said:


Quote:


or next to none. Running "strategy" isn't really all that important.

It really mostly boils down to keeping defenses guessing -- it could be pass or it could be run before the ball is snapped.

The rest is basically your o line being able to out muscle their d line and your back keeping his feet moving and getting extra yards.

That is pretty much it.Acting like running exists in a vacuum is dumb.

Jones can't throw deep that is the problem. DO's are willing to give up the occasional Jones run .



I don't think you know enough to say.

No time on one end and no separation on the other allow for very little evidence to be obtained as to the true abilities for the man in the middle.


I don't know well enough to say? I know Gallman and Freeman gave this team 100 combined rushing yards. That is pretty good. That is enough to win games; win a championship; win at the show. No Saquon needed.

Further how exactly are you measuring separation or really know what is like compared around the league? Favre, Marino would throw into coverage all the time. They put balls where receivers can get them but defensive backs cannot. I have seen Herbert do that IN HIS FIRST EVER NFL game against the KC Chiefs.

Why can't we just admit Jones is rather pedestrian. yes this roster sucks but it starts with him. He is not exception to the lack of talent on this team.
RE: Id argue, and of course it’s early  
Now Mike in MD : 10/20/2020 10:28 am : link
In comment 15011131 Tuckrule said:
Quote:
Thomas has been a downgrade from solder
Hernandez returning starter
Gates and halapio are probably a wash at this point.
Zeitler returning starter
Fleming is worse than remmers

So overall one year removed and the line is worse. That’s a fact. Of course, and I need to say it again or bbi will kill me, this line has potential but right now this line is playing worse football than last years


I don't agree that Gates and Halapio are equal. Gates has really improved. And as bad as Thomas has been, Solder was putrid. So while Thomas has bad, it's still step up from horrendous
Yes, Gates has been an upgrade on Halapio  
Greg from LI : 10/20/2020 10:31 am : link
Not that it's hard to be an upgrade on Halapio, but I have been surprised by Gates. He's been okay, particularly allowing for the fact that it's a new position for him. He still gets beaten badly on occasion, but he hasn't been a turnstile by any means.
Back to the Corner