for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Details of Judge & Colombo from Michael Silver

Josh in the City : 11/20/2020 2:39 pm


Some very interesting insights there...  
bw in dc : 11/20/2020 2:44 pm : link
especially the OL starting to buy into Colombo's approach.
Where the hell is he getting the Tom Brady stuff  
Zeke's Alibi : 11/20/2020 2:45 pm : link
from? Why would Judge even waste his time with that stuff?

Actually just checked and he seems to have this very weird love affair with Tom Brady, wouldn't be surprised if there is a personal connection there. Lol perfect opportunity to throw in some stuff about your boy that has nothing to do with the situation at all!
What a...  
Johnny5 : 11/20/2020 2:48 pm : link
...fucking disaster this week has been for the NY football Giants.
Michael Silver was on Judge's ass all offseason  
BestFeature : 11/20/2020 2:48 pm : link
Not surprising he's taking shots at him, albeit there IS praise in there too.

But yeah, why would judge bring up Tom Brady? What does that have to do with the Giants?
RE: Where the hell is he getting the Tom Brady stuff  
bw in dc : 11/20/2020 2:49 pm : link
In comment 15052371 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
from? Why would Judge even waste his time with that stuff?

Actually just checked and he seems to have this very weird love affair with Tom Brady, wouldn't be surprised if there is a personal connection there. Lol perfect opportunity to throw in some stuff about your boy that has nothing to do with the situation at all!


That was a curve ball...Indeed.

Like I mentioned, it was interesting how the OL started to embrace Colombo's approach and were finding their "zone". And now there be confusion going forward about techniques, calls, etc...
His personality style is off-putting  
Big Blue '56 : 11/20/2020 2:50 pm : link
to some? You mean like his mentor, Belichick?

Good for him
Sounds like Michael Silver...  
Seventh Spiel : 11/20/2020 2:51 pm : link
has been talking to Marc Colombo.
RE: Sounds like Michael Silver...  
bw in dc : 11/20/2020 2:53 pm : link
In comment 15052384 Seventh Spiel said:
Quote:
has been talking to Marc Colombo.


Maybe he's talked with players, too.
Glad we are getting so many different takes on this  
UConn4523 : 11/20/2020 2:53 pm : link
the whole thing is dumb. Colombo is gone.
If  
Toth029 : 11/20/2020 2:54 pm : link
What Garafolo has said is true, i.e. the part of Judge putting himself more on the line in practice is true, I believe it more than this guy.
Garafolo also  
Josh in the City : 11/20/2020 2:56 pm : link
said that we can expect players to be learning new technique on the fly once they get back from the bye. That's going to be interesting being that the unit seemingly finally started to play well together.
a couple thoughts on this  
Eric on Li : 11/20/2020 2:56 pm : link
First a lot of dirty laundry being aired there about non-public conversations. The Brady stuff in particular sounds like agenda driven sour grapes without any relation to this situation. Clearly there was some kind of NE vs. non-NE hostility among the coaches - and given that the source of these sour grapes is likely the recently departed it seems all the more like he had to get fired. You can't have open hostility among leaders.

Second the most important thing from here forward is going to be the performance of the OL. Just as the most important thing this season was their improvement the last couple weeks (especially Thomas). Either Judge is self sabotaging or making the right decision for the team going forward. We've seen Judge make 100's of decisions big and small since he was hired - I wouldn't describe many if any as being self sabotaging. Doesn't mean this one isn't but there's an obvious squeaky wheel throwing off a lot of excuses and appearing more unprofessional with every new story that's coming out.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
eclipz928 : 11/20/2020 3:06 pm : link
On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.
RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
Greg from LI : 11/20/2020 3:07 pm : link
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


On the other hand, you have reports that the improvement started when Judge started getting more involved with the OL.

Honestly, I don't know who to believe. I guess we'll see how it works out.
RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
BestFeature : 11/20/2020 3:09 pm : link
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


There are also reports (I don't know if they all stemmed from the same person) that Judge is the one that took matters into his hands with the O-line and that's why it's better.
RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
jpkmets : 11/20/2020 3:10 pm : link
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


Agreed.

Poor timing to make this particular move. Not overly enamored about need for Patriots compadres.

Hope it doesn’t cause the oline to regress

Columbo, however has come across as a dick, to me, and you don’t go around calling your boss a see-you-next-Tuesday in a hob where the HC is always going to look to retain respect.
..  
Jay on the Island : 11/20/2020 3:10 pm : link
The mention of Brady was very strange and had nothing to do with the topic.

If the parts about correcting Gates' technique and criticizing Thomas on film is true then Colombo is a real ass. This is Judge's team and if he wants to correct something he has every right to do so. Colombo was clearly creating a divide in the locker room of his guys (the OL) versus the HC. You cannot have that in any locker room if you want to be successful.

What Colombo should have done was have a discussion in private with Judge to express his view point. Undermining the HC authority and openly disrespecting him in front of his players is grounds for immediate dismissal.

I was sad to see Colombo go but after finding out all of this recent information I am glad that Judge made the decision.

I also think that Judge is not going to allow Deguglielmo to drastically alter the technique of the offensive linemen at this point of the season. I expect minor tweaks here and there but nothing major until the offseason if such changes are necessary.
RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
Eric on Li : 11/20/2020 3:10 pm : link
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


Isn't that very transparently the apparent motivation of whoever this source is? To make Judge look bad.

Again, not saying this is the right call or wrong call, that answer remains to be seen. Just pointing out there's clearly someone with an axe to grind.
Anything written after the words Kim Jones  
arniefez : 11/20/2020 3:12 pm : link
should be considered middle school ex girlfriend level bullshit. She's absolute garbage in every way and there's a reason she's a fringe part of the NFL Network at best after being in the business all these years.
Michael Silver graduated from Cal Berkeley ...  
Spider56 : 11/20/2020 3:13 pm : link
That tells me all I need to know about the author.
RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
Jay on the Island : 11/20/2020 3:13 pm : link
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.

Would it have been a good look for Judge if he kept a coach around who continuously disrespects him in front of his players?
Hope  
butler : 11/20/2020 3:14 pm : link
the whole team knows now not to mess with Captain Haughty.
I think a dictatorship  
Oscar : 11/20/2020 3:15 pm : link
Is the only thing that works in the NFL. If Judge wanted Colombo gone that’s good enough for me. Every minor detail should be the way he wants it, and if it ultimately fails you move on from Judge.

Also Thomas has been worst of the big four tackles so I would hope they’re riding him. He was the fourth pick in the draft, we need more.
RE: Michael Silver graduated from Cal Berkeley ...  
Go Terps : 11/20/2020 3:18 pm : link
In comment 15052420 Spider56 said:
Quote:
That tells me all I need to know about the author.


That he's smart and well educated?
Young Linemen improving game over game?  
Rafflee : 11/20/2020 3:19 pm : link
It's sink or Swim, so it shouldn;t be a surprise that some talented guys improved.

Maybe Columbo felt threatened and over reacted.

Head Coaches (All Coaches) are Bullet Proof with their players when they win, and when their players believe that the Coach is making Them and The team better. Being Prickly or Easy or ANYTHING ELSE doesn't Matter.
My sense of the timeline  
BlackLight : 11/20/2020 3:23 pm : link
is that the line's play began to improve roughly about the time Judge started involving himself in the coaching process there.

I can see Colombo being popular with the players, being a former player himself. But these reports hinting at discontent with Judge among the players don't jive with what we're seeing. When the team was 0-5 and 1-7, we weren't hearing boo from the players about the coaches having an attitude problem.
RE: ..  
bw in dc : 11/20/2020 3:27 pm : link
In comment 15052415 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
The mention of Brady was very strange and had nothing to do with the topic.

If the parts about correcting Gates' technique and criticizing Thomas on film is true then Colombo is a real ass. This is Judge's team and if he wants to correct something he has every right to do so. Colombo was clearly creating a divide in the locker room of his guys (the OL) versus the HC. You cannot have that in any locker room if you want to be successful.

What Colombo should have done was have a discussion in private with Judge to express his view point. Undermining the HC authority and openly disrespecting him in front of his players is grounds for immediate dismissal.

I was sad to see Colombo go but after finding out all of this recent information I am glad that Judge made the decision.

I also think that Judge is not going to allow Deguglielmo to drastically alter the technique of the offensive linemen at this point of the season. I expect minor tweaks here and there but nothing major until the offseason if such changes are necessary.


I'm not taking Colombo's side on this, but my guess he's forgotten more about OL play and techniques than Judge will ever know. So I could see him being a bit annoyed at this first time head coach (at any level) questioning his expertise and teaching methods.

That doesn't absolve Colombo of these reported antics, but I can see the human nature part of this. And if Garrett directly hired Colombo.
The must-do-it-the-Patriot-way thing  
81_Great_Dane : 11/20/2020 3:31 pm : link
is reminiscent of how new management typically behaves in my industry (magazine publishing). I've experienced it myself and heard stories from an old timer.

The new guys come in, they tell you everything you were doing was wrong, you're all idiots, everything has to be our way. Which isn't entirely nuts, because if you were thriving before, you wouldn't be under new management.

However what typically happens is that over a period of time, the new guys figure out that you were doing things your way for a reason. They bump into those reasons and discover you're not all idiots. Sometimes they find they have to pivot and quickly re-adopt some of your old methods after about six months. Sometimes it takes longer and they quietly backtrack.

it makes sense for Judge to come in with an attitude that basically amounts to "Giants stink, Patriots rule, I'm here to make the Giants into the Patriots." But that doesn't necessarily work for every player, coach, play design or technique. Every situation is different.
RE: Michael Silver graduated from Cal Berkeley ...  
dpassen1 : 11/20/2020 3:31 pm : link
In comment 15052420 Spider56 said:
Quote:
That tells me all I need to know about the author.

That he's a heck of a lot smarter than you?
Keep in mind the Giants just played Tampa Bay.  
bceagle05 : 11/20/2020 3:33 pm : link
The coaches were probably talking about Brady's weaknesses while game planning, and Colombo is spilling the beans about what was said.
A lot of stuff leaking out  
JonC : 11/20/2020 3:35 pm : link
that should be kept in-house, players included.
Colombo defended Thomas  
averagejoe : 11/20/2020 3:36 pm : link
which is nice. Problem is the HC is watching film of his QB getting killed every pass attempt. Fix it or hit the highway. I'm with Judge on this. Everyone is accountable. Results count more than feelings or developing a new technique.
Yep... he lost me with the  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 11/20/2020 3:37 pm : link
“They don’t think Tom Brady farts clouds of golden cotton candy” stuff.

How will we ever survive without Marc Columbia? The agony...
RE: Keep in mind the Giants just played Tampa Bay.  
Dinger : 11/20/2020 3:39 pm : link
In comment 15052450 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
The coaches were probably talking about Brady's weaknesses while game planning, and Colombo is spilling the beans about what was said.


great point. Makes sense. Just seems like sour grapes and out of context until you think that Colombo has an axe to grind
RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
Dinger : 11/20/2020 3:44 pm : link
In comment 15052411 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.



On the other hand, you have reports that the improvement started when Judge started getting more involved with the OL.

Honestly, I don't know who to believe. I guess we'll see how it works out.


Exactly. This will continue to play out as everybody in the media wants to get clicks and who knows what allegations are next. My hope is that this is change for the better. I'm worried that the progress we've seen from the OL may be hampered, but we are 3 and 7 and not exactly world beaters. Hoping Judge is right with DD and the players can move on.
Oh....the drama of it all.  
LBH15 : 11/20/2020 3:44 pm : link
Teams with 3-7 records should be adjusting/changing whatever the Head Coach feels they need to.

Doesn't matter if they were playing better and/or just beat a hated rival team for the first time in years.



i'm not gonna read  
Producer : 11/20/2020 3:45 pm : link
all these comments. I'm just gonna assume:

Fuck this guy, Colombo..

LMAO  
montanagiant : 11/20/2020 3:46 pm : link
It's amazing how these outsider Sportswriters with zero ties to the Giants somehow come up with these stories. The first guy who claimed there was a fight has literal not posted one follow up tweet to it after he got busted for being wrong
RE: Keep in mind the Giants just played Tampa Bay.  
Eric on Li : 11/20/2020 3:49 pm : link
In comment 15052450 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
The coaches were probably talking about Brady's weaknesses while game planning, and Colombo is spilling the beans about what was said.


Great point. The leaks re: Brady seem really weak and like they were intended to generate outrage. Really low rent move (presumably by Columbo).
Somebody mentioned this on Twitter  
BlackLight : 11/20/2020 3:49 pm : link
and it seemed like a good point. One of Silver's points mentioned the OL being "confused" by Judge's decision to bring in DeGug (prior to Colombo's firing).

This makes no sense. DeGug would've needed to clear COVID protocol before being allowed in the building. Why would anyone have been confused by it? They might not even have known about it. The reports of the argument between Judge and Colombo suggest that MC was blindsided by the decision to bring in someone new to consult/
Oh give me a fucking break  
djm : 11/20/2020 3:51 pm : link
The OL is just going to roll over now and die because the saintly and irreplaceable Mark Colombo has been wacked?

And to think all this time we were just a good OL asst coach away from building an OL. And now it’s gone, again.

It’s hunting season I see.
Lol  
ryanmkeane : 11/20/2020 3:53 pm : link
this is pure garbage
Strange  
Dragon : 11/20/2020 3:57 pm : link
Head Coach is publicly killing the kid who almost all believe has improved lately now why not chastise him from way back in games 1-6. These guys go to war for the coaches and team we can’t blame a positional coach for trying to help his player if he feels it’s not right. I always say you can’t learn much on the bench but slamming a young guy in the film room will that really help his development going forward. As a player would you not feel even more responsible to your positional coach if he’s willing to fight for you.
RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
eclipz928 : 11/20/2020 3:57 pm : link
In comment 15052421 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


Would it have been a good look for Judge if he kept a coach around who continuously disrespects him in front of his players?

Of course not, but what it seems like some here are so willing to overlook are the reasons why Colombo would have became so outspoken towards Judge to begin with. It sounds like Judge was stepping all over his toes even before the decision to bring in somebody from the outside. That's not a healthy situation for an assistant coach to function in. If Judge didn't like the way Colombo was doing things then he should have fired him before it got to this point.
RE: RE: Keep in mind the Giants just played Tampa Bay.  
Zeke's Alibi : 11/20/2020 4:01 pm : link
In comment 15052474 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
In comment 15052450 bceagle05 said:


Quote:


The coaches were probably talking about Brady's weaknesses while game planning, and Colombo is spilling the beans about what was said.



Great point. The leaks re: Brady seem really weak and like they were intended to generate outrage. Really low rent move (presumably by Columbo).


This makes a helluva lot sense. Stop it! There’s no place for that here!
RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
BlackLight : 11/20/2020 4:03 pm : link
In comment 15052485 eclipz928 said:
Quote:

Of course not, but what it seems like some here are so willing to overlook are the reasons why Colombo would have became so outspoken towards Judge to begin with. It sounds like Judge was stepping all over his toes even before the decision to bring in somebody from the outside. That's not a healthy situation for an assistant coach to function in. If Judge didn't like the way Colombo was doing things then he should have fired him before it got to this point.


By the same logic, why didn't Colombo quit when Judge started stepping on his toes, if it was such an "unhealthy situation?"
RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
GoDeep13 : 11/20/2020 4:05 pm : link
In comment 15052411 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.



On the other hand, you have reports that the improvement started when Judge started getting more involved with the OL.

Honestly, I don't know who to believe. I guess we'll see how it works out.
if Judge has been getting involved in the oline then I would think some players figured there was something brewing already.

“We’re just hearing about the divorce. The kids know about the marriage.”
RE: LMAO  
JB_in_DC : 11/20/2020 4:12 pm : link
In comment 15052471 montanagiant said:
Quote:
It's amazing how these outsider Sportswriters with zero ties to the Giants somehow come up with these stories. The first guy who claimed there was a fight has literal not posted one follow up tweet to it after he got busted for being wrong


Yeah I think its worth noting that based on his twitter it doesn't look like Mike Silver actively writes anymore - just seems to host a podcast and make occasional appearances on NFL Network, and Jason McIntyre is also just a podcast host with occasional tv bits. They don't have to uphold the reputation of any institutions that employ them in the way a reporter would.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
eclipz928 : 11/20/2020 4:13 pm : link
In comment 15052487 BlackLight said:
Quote:
In comment 15052485 eclipz928 said:


Quote:



Of course not, but what it seems like some here are so willing to overlook are the reasons why Colombo would have became so outspoken towards Judge to begin with. It sounds like Judge was stepping all over his toes even before the decision to bring in somebody from the outside. That's not a healthy situation for an assistant coach to function in. If Judge didn't like the way Colombo was doing things then he should have fired him before it got to this point.



By the same logic, why didn't Colombo quit when Judge started stepping on his toes, if it was such an "unhealthy situation?"

Have you never stuck it out continuing to work at a job with a shitty boss?
This OP needs a  
5BowlsSoon : 11/20/2020 4:16 pm : link
FACT-CHECK
RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
5BowlsSoon : 11/20/2020 4:18 pm : link
In comment 15052485 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
In comment 15052421 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


Would it have been a good look for Judge if he kept a coach around who continuously disrespects him in front of his players?


Of course not, but what it seems like some here are so willing to overlook are the reasons why Colombo would have became so outspoken towards Judge to begin with. It sounds like Judge was stepping all over his toes even before the decision to bring in somebody from the outside. That's not a healthy situation for an assistant coach to function in. If Judge didn't like the way Colombo was doing things then he should have fired him before it got to this point.


You really don’t know anything except what you read. Therefore I suggest that you should just trust our HC....it is arse on the line each and every week.
RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
5BowlsSoon : 11/20/2020 4:22 pm : link
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


The improvement coming when Judge got involved is what I’ve heard from several sources. All he wanted to do was hire a consultant to hold Colombo’s hand....his ego didn’t like that so there you go. He asked for it. You don’t cuss your boss out. I don’t think too many bosses do well with that.
Its a BYE week with nothing but  
jvm52106 : 11/20/2020 4:23 pm : link
good stories (can't have that) about improvement or bad stuff like Covid and this.. They went with this.

Clearly this stuff started a few weeks ago (and seems about the time former coaches of Thomas were commenting about technique changes here) and then culminated this week.

The Brady stuff is childish bullshit and yes, seems like that came from Colombo. I have zero way of knowing what was said or not said but, I will go with the HC who so far has done things very deliberately and very much by a process and I highly doubt he now decided to act personally to get a buddy brought on board and do something rash in the middle of the season. You disrespect you walk! Seems pretty simple to me.
This situation will speak volumes for this HC  
GIANTS128 : 11/20/2020 4:24 pm : link
Lets see how he handles it internally and publicly. He may look like a genius by the end of the season or this will be a terrible move. My take is MC was not his guy. Maybe he was Garretts guy. That makes we wonder how that dynamic will go. However the way Garrett handled Jerruh...this is nothing in comparison.
The ass't offensive line coach stayed  
WillieYoung : 11/20/2020 4:25 pm : link
Enough said. Jason Garrett may let Jerry Jones and every other person with an opinion contradict his authority. Joe Judge isn't going to.
RE: a couple thoughts on this  
montanagiant : 11/20/2020 4:28 pm : link
In comment 15052400 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
First a lot of dirty laundry being aired there about non-public conversations. The Brady stuff in particular sounds like agenda driven sour grapes without any relation to this situation. Clearly there was some kind of NE vs. non-NE hostility among the coaches - and given that the source of these sour grapes is likely the recently departed it seems all the more like he had to get fired. You can't have open hostility among leaders.

Second the most important thing from here forward is going to be the performance of the OL. Just as the most important thing this season was their improvement the last couple weeks (especially Thomas). Either Judge is self sabotaging or making the right decision for the team going forward. We've seen Judge make 100's of decisions big and small since he was hired - I wouldn't describe many if any as being self sabotaging. Doesn't mean this one isn't but there's an obvious squeaky wheel throwing off a lot of excuses and appearing more unprofessional with every new story that's coming out.

Good post Eric.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
BlackLight : 11/20/2020 4:29 pm : link
In comment 15052495 eclipz928 said:
Quote:


Have you never stuck it out continuing to work at a job with a shitty boss?


Sure have. And has a boss ever, rather than firing an underperforming employee outright, taken steps to try to improve the situation first?

Let's be honest - if Colombo had been fired weeks ago, you'd be on here complaining that Judge never gave him a chance to succeed.
RE: RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
eclipz928 : 11/20/2020 4:35 pm : link
In comment 15052498 5BowlsSoon said:
Quote:
In comment 15052485 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


In comment 15052421 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


Would it have been a good look for Judge if he kept a coach around who continuously disrespects him in front of his players?


Of course not, but what it seems like some here are so willing to overlook are the reasons why Colombo would have became so outspoken towards Judge to begin with. It sounds like Judge was stepping all over his toes even before the decision to bring in somebody from the outside. That's not a healthy situation for an assistant coach to function in. If Judge didn't like the way Colombo was doing things then he should have fired him before it got to this point.



You really don’t know anything except what you read. Therefore I suggest that you should just trust our HC....it is arse on the line each and every week.

I assume that every coach, whether they're a head or an assistant, takes their job seriously - they're all evaluated on performance and are all expendable. And why would I "just trust" a rookie head coach who hasn't won anything yet?
Colombo  
XBRONX : 11/20/2020 4:36 pm : link
coming in had a very thin resume, very thin.
So, now the OL improvement is back to credit Colombo's coaching  
Matt M. : 11/20/2020 4:39 pm : link
This is a carousel of explanations.
From Art  
McNally's_Nuts : 11/20/2020 4:41 pm : link
https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/1329901574966095874?s=21
tom brady is 42 fucking years old,  
japanhead : 11/20/2020 4:41 pm : link
no surprise his deep ball has been off for the past few years.

that is some petty shit dropping that in addition to making him sound like a dick in the film room.

colombo must've hated judge badly

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
eclipz928 : 11/20/2020 4:44 pm : link
In comment 15052508 BlackLight said:
Quote:
In comment 15052495 eclipz928 said:


Quote:




Have you never stuck it out continuing to work at a job with a shitty boss?



Sure have. And has a boss ever, rather than firing an underperforming employee outright, taken steps to try to improve the situation first?

Let's be honest - if Colombo had been fired weeks ago, you'd be on here complaining that Judge never gave him a chance to succeed.

I don't have any personal attachment to Marc Colombo - I don't care that he was fired. What I care about is whether Judge is breeding the right culture and relationships amongst is coaches and staff.
RE: From Art  
Toth029 : 11/20/2020 4:50 pm : link
In comment 15052517 McNally's_Nuts said:
Quote:
https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/1329901574966095874?s=21


Yup. But so many here gotta be Devils Advocate.
Coaches talk smack about opposing players and teams  
DieHard : 11/20/2020 4:53 pm : link
behind closed doors all the time. Like when Antonio Brown surreptitiously filmed Mike Tomlin shit-talking the Patriots in the Pittsburgh locker room. I'd be more concerned about the person leaking this stuff than the actual content (if it's even true).
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
BlackLight : 11/20/2020 4:54 pm : link
In comment 15052520 eclipz928 said:
Quote:


I don't have any personal attachment to Marc Colombo - I don't care that he was fired. What I care about is whether Judge is breeding the right culture and relationships amongst is coaches and staff.


I'm not suggesting you have a personal attachment to Colombo. I'm suggesting you have a personal bias against Judge, and your opinions about what he should be doing are reverse engineered to suit it.
That whole thing sounds like someone desperately trying  
mfsd : 11/20/2020 4:56 pm : link
to craft a pro-Colombo narrative.

Not surprised a few posters who love to bash the Giants accepted it sight unseen
RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
LakeGeorgeGiant : 11/20/2020 5:14 pm : link
Quote:



Of course not, but what it seems like some here are so willing to overlook are the reasons why Colombo would have became so outspoken towards Judge to begin with. It sounds like Judge was stepping all over his toes even before the decision to bring in somebody from the outside. That's not a healthy situation for an assistant coach to function in. If Judge didn't like the way Colombo was doing things then he should have fired him before it got to this point.


Stepping on his toes? Judge is the head coach. He can tell the OL whatever the hell he wants.

Columbo's OL was shit, he wasn't doing his job well.

If you are doing a shit job and your boss steps in is it acceptable to "become outspoken" toward him in front of your subordinates?
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
eclipz928 : 11/20/2020 5:21 pm : link
In comment 15052528 BlackLight said:
Quote:
In comment 15052520 eclipz928 said:


Quote:




I don't have any personal attachment to Marc Colombo - I don't care that he was fired. What I care about is whether Judge is breeding the right culture and relationships amongst is coaches and staff.



I'm not suggesting you have a personal attachment to Colombo. I'm suggesting you have a personal bias against Judge, and your opinions about what he should be doing are reverse engineered to suit it.
I actually like Judge personally based on what I can see, but I'm neutral on him in regard to his coaching. I recognize that he's a rookie coach, but until he proves he can make his team in to a winner I'll certainly view every one of his decisions with a level of skepticism.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
BestFeature : 11/20/2020 5:28 pm : link
In comment 15052545 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
In comment 15052528 BlackLight said:


Quote:


In comment 15052520 eclipz928 said:


Quote:




I don't have any personal attachment to Marc Colombo - I don't care that he was fired. What I care about is whether Judge is breeding the right culture and relationships amongst is coaches and staff.



I'm not suggesting you have a personal attachment to Colombo. I'm suggesting you have a personal bias against Judge, and your opinions about what he should be doing are reverse engineered to suit it.

I actually like Judge personally based on what I can see, but I'm neutral on him in regard to his coaching. I recognize that he's a rookie coach, but until he proves he can make his team in to a winner I'll certainly view every one of his decisions with a level of skepticism.


How are you expecting him to win with such a flawed roster?
The O line  
joeinpa : 11/20/2020 5:42 pm : link
Are professional football players. They want to perform and keep their jobs. Colombo is gone, they will embrace the change.

It s not nearly the big deal it s being made out to be
I don't expect him to win with this current roster  
eclipz928 : 11/20/2020 5:43 pm : link
My expectations for him would still be low even if he had a better roster, because he's a first time head coach. But it's always the case at least for me, whether the coach is a rookie or a veteran, that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt until he wins games consistently.
RE: A lot of stuff leaking out  
Thegratefulhead : 11/20/2020 6:03 pm : link
In comment 15052456 JonC said:
Quote:
that should be kept in-house, players included.
The loose lips need to go. This has me concerned a bit.
RE: The O line  
markky : 11/20/2020 6:39 pm : link
In comment 15052559 joeinpa said:
Quote:
Are professional football players. They want to perform and keep their jobs. Colombo is gone, they will embrace the change.

It s not nearly the big deal it s being made out to be


exactly. i've seen it a ton of times in business. an executive gets fired and thinks his "people" will be upset. in reality they only compare about their own jobs and performance. i expect our OL to step up and continue to improve.
RE: RE: A lot of stuff leaking out  
japanhead : 11/20/2020 6:56 pm : link
In comment 15052575 Thegratefulhead said:
Quote:
In comment 15052456 JonC said:


Quote:


that should be kept in-house, players included.

The loose lips need to go. This has me concerned a bit.


what in the silver thread makes it apparent it's players talking and not all just colombo? i don't see anything.
RE: The O line  
Sean : 11/20/2020 7:14 pm : link
In comment 15052559 joeinpa said:
Quote:
Are professional football players. They want to perform and keep their jobs. Colombo is gone, they will embrace the change.

It s not nearly the big deal it s being made out to be


This. Plenty of assistant coaches get fired midseason, nothing new.
LOL Silver Hates the miilirary communist  
big canoe jeff : 11/20/2020 7:33 pm : link
Called him out on Twitter when he accidentally slipped with military fly over live at halftime working a college all star game on nfln on open Mike “what’s going on with this Shit” blocked me ASAP glad the guy working for shit
RE: I don't expect him to win with this current roster  
BigBlueShock : 11/20/2020 7:50 pm : link
In comment 15052560 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
My expectations for him would still be low even if he had a better roster, because he's a first time head coach. But it's always the case at least for me, whether the coach is a rookie or a veteran, that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt until he wins games consistently.

I’m sure Joe Judge would be heartbroken to know some random guy on BBI refuses to give him the benefit of the doubt. It must really suck to go through life that way. And it’s also obvious by your posts that you are not a fan of Joe Judge, just own it.
RE: LOL Silver Hates the miilirary communist  
BestFeature : 11/20/2020 7:53 pm : link
In comment 15052637 big canoe jeff said:
Quote:
Called him out on Twitter when he accidentally slipped with military fly over live at halftime working a college all star game on nfln on open Mike “what’s going on with this Shit” blocked me ASAP glad the guy working for shit


What???
Good for Judge coaches need to be accountable  
big canoe jeff : 11/20/2020 8:00 pm : link
Has balls MC insubordinate needs to be fired Guge a competent oline coach previous HC’s didn’t do shit
Does anyone actually believe that  
ryanmkeane : 11/20/2020 8:01 pm : link
Judge would talk about Brady like that? This seems absolutely outlandish. “Well...he IS intelligent, I’ll give him that....”

Seriously, this all sounds like garbage.
Stand what I posted on nfln 2 years ago  
big canoe jeff : 11/20/2020 8:03 pm : link
Go find it guy a hack
RE: Does anyone actually believe that  
Johnny5 : 11/20/2020 8:07 pm : link
In comment 15052652 ryanmkeane said:
Quote:
Judge would talk about Brady like that? This seems absolutely outlandish. “Well...he IS intelligent, I’ll give him that....”

Seriously, this all sounds like garbage.

My guess is this is what they discussed when coaching up for the Tampa Bay game. They were breaking down his strengths and weaknesses and this was blown up by Colombo's camp to shed a poor light on Judge. But who knows. Truth is usually somewhere just left/right of center... lol
Why exactly is this such a big  
section125 : 11/20/2020 8:29 pm : link
deal that would put posters at each other's throats?

Colombo wasn't getting it done. He got on Judge's wrong side. He got fired, instead of just working along with it. Now, with these antics he is going to be hard pressed to find a coaching job in the NFL and maybe even college. That he "liked" a tweet about Judge getting belted is really going to look bad - one of those social media moments that potentially sinks a career.

It seems the story changes ever few hours. So eventually most of the truth will come out. If it came down to Lombardi, Silver or Stapleton, who are you going to believe?
RE: The O line  
bw in dc : 11/20/2020 8:33 pm : link
In comment 15052559 joeinpa said:
Quote:
Are professional football players. They want to perform and keep their jobs. Colombo is gone, they will embrace the change.

It s not nearly the big deal it s being made out to be


I mostly agree with your first paragraph.

However, if most of the reporting is true, and there was a confrontation split, that is newsworthy; and a big deal because our OL has been a major problem for a long time.

Just think how often the OL has been discussed around here. It seems like it's been a daily topic for at least five years...
RE: RE: The O line  
section125 : 11/20/2020 8:57 pm : link
In comment 15052663 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 15052559 joeinpa said:


Quote:


Are professional football players. They want to perform and keep their jobs. Colombo is gone, they will embrace the change.

It s not nearly the big deal it s being made out to be



I mostly agree with your first paragraph.

However, if most of the reporting is true, and there was a confrontation split, that is newsworthy; and a big deal because our OL has been a major problem for a long time.

Just think how often the OL has been discussed around here. It seems like it's been a daily topic for at least five years...



It is not a big deal because:

1.) Apparently Colombo was not getting it done the way Judge wanted. When corrected he argued and became spiteful(to be fair both probably did)

2.) He is being replaced by a much more experienced coach who will likely be doing what Judge wants

3.) If the line only started to improve after Judge stepped in, then it should improve even quicker now that the teaching environment improves

4.) Football players have many different coaches over their careers. The best learn from all, adapt and improve. This not a change of offense, just a change of voice. Technique should be mostly the same but how to best achieve it will be taught differently.

5.) Remember when Parcells used to cut one veteran late in camp? He did it to catch the attention of the rest of the players. If the players are smart, they will realize that if Judge is willing to fire a coach, he is more than willing to cut them if they don't perform as expected
The OL has sucked most of the year  
WillVAB : 11/20/2020 9:24 pm : link
Colombo isn’t a loss. If Judge’s involvement in the OL is true then it’s a win Colombo is gone.

If he was Garrett’s guy and this makes him walk then so be it. Garrett is replaceable too.
RE: RE: I don't expect him to win with this current roster  
eclipz928 : 11/20/2020 11:25 pm : link
In comment 15052644 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 15052560 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


My expectations for him would still be low even if he had a better roster, because he's a first time head coach. But it's always the case at least for me, whether the coach is a rookie or a veteran, that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt until he wins games consistently.


I’m sure Joe Judge would be heartbroken to know some random guy on BBI refuses to give him the benefit of the doubt. It must really suck to go through life that way. And it’s also obvious by your posts that you are not a fan of Joe Judge, just own it.

Ok.....weird post. I didn't think I was doing anything different than everyone else posting their opinions on a football forum. But I certainly don't care if you don't think I'm sufficiently slurping Joe Judge. If mild criticism of a player or a coach that you're crushing on bothers you then disregard my posts.
RE: Michael Silver was on Judge's ass all offseason  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 5:08 am : link
In comment 15052375 BestFeature said:
Quote:
Not surprising he's taking shots at him, albeit there IS praise in there too.

But yeah, why would judge bring up Tom Brady? What does that have to do with the Giants?
Probably because they were preparing to play Brady? Because they were dissecting his weaknesses like they do when facing any opposing QB?
RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 5:19 am : link
In comment 15052421 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


Would it have been a good look for Judge if he kept a coach around who continuously disrespects him in front of his players?
Has nothing to do with whether it was a " good look" or not, Judges hand was FORCED once Colombo cursed him in front of the team. FORCED, He had no choice but to fire him. It works that way everywhere in the world.
RE: RE: Michael Silver graduated from Cal Berkeley ...  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 5:22 am : link
In comment 15052433 Go Terps said:
Quote:
In comment 15052420 Spider56 said:


Quote:


That tells me all I need to know about the author.



That he's smart and well educated?
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant a whining self entitled cry-baby.
RE: A lot of stuff leaking out  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 5:30 am : link
In comment 15052456 JonC said:
Quote:
that should be kept in-house, players included.
Yeah, if it WASN'T Colombo who leaked this, then there may be an O=lineman or two that needs to go as well.
RE: Strange  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 5:37 am : link
In comment 15052484 Dragon said:
Quote:
Head Coach is publicly killing the kid who almost all believe has improved lately now why not chastise him from way back in games 1-6. These guys go to war for the coaches and team we can’t blame a positional coach for trying to help his player if he feels it’s not right. I always say you can’t learn much on the bench but slamming a young guy in the film room will that really help his development going forward. As a player would you not feel even more responsible to your positional coach if he’s willing to fight for you.

Again, your own comments make it clear you don't understand the role of head coach when you say things like
"we can’t blame a positional coach for trying to help his player if he feels it’s not right" so it's about what the assistant FEELS, not the head coach demands? " Can't blame him" ?? Really?? This fucking cunt piece of shit Colombo called Judge a Cunt in front of the whole team because he had feelings? Fuck Colombo. We aren't running a day camp.
RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 5:43 am : link
In comment 15052485 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
In comment 15052421 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


Would it have been a good look for Judge if he kept a coach around who continuously disrespects him in front of his players?


Of course not, but what it seems like some here are so willing to overlook are the reasons why Colombo would have became so outspoken towards Judge to begin with. It sounds like Judge was stepping all over his toes even before the decision to bring in somebody from the outside. That's not a healthy situation for an assistant coach to function in. If Judge didn't like the way Colombo was doing things then he should have fired him before it got to this point.
Really? That's what it seems like tto you? so this fucking assistant interupts and interjects repeatedly when the HEAD COACH IS COACHING, and he's stepping on Colombos feet? Unless you think the assistant is actually the head coach, that's one fucked up outlook. Who are you to say when he should have fired Colombo? Maybe he DID make up his mind to fire him, hired DD, and made the move when it was comfortable for him. Why should Judge's timing be dicatated by considerations for some asshole he's about to shitcan??????????
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 5:45 am : link
In comment 15052495 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
In comment 15052487 BlackLight said:


Quote:


In comment 15052485 eclipz928 said:


Quote:



Of course not, but what it seems like some here are so willing to overlook are the reasons why Colombo would have became so outspoken towards Judge to begin with. It sounds like Judge was stepping all over his toes even before the decision to bring in somebody from the outside. That's not a healthy situation for an assistant coach to function in. If Judge didn't like the way Colombo was doing things then he should have fired him before it got to this point.



By the same logic, why didn't Colombo quit when Judge started stepping on his toes, if it was such an "unhealthy situation?"


Have you never stuck it out continuing to work at a job with a shitty boss?
Judge a shitty boss, Colombo in the right, was the wronged party here. Gotcha.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a report like this.  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 5:53 am : link
In comment 15052511 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
In comment 15052498 5BowlsSoon said:


Quote:


In comment 15052485 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


In comment 15052421 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


In comment 15052409 eclipz928 said:


Quote:


On one side it seems clear that Colombo disrespected Judge and forced him to make a decision. But on the other side, we have been seeing an OL with some steady improvement under Colombo, and reports that the players liked him. I don't think this is a good look for Judge.


Would it have been a good look for Judge if he kept a coach around who continuously disrespects him in front of his players?


Of course not, but what it seems like some here are so willing to overlook are the reasons why Colombo would have became so outspoken towards Judge to begin with. It sounds like Judge was stepping all over his toes even before the decision to bring in somebody from the outside. That's not a healthy situation for an assistant coach to function in. If Judge didn't like the way Colombo was doing things then he should have fired him before it got to this point.



You really don’t know anything except what you read. Therefore I suggest that you should just trust our HC....it is arse on the line each and every week.


I assume that every coach, whether they're a head or an assistant, takes their job seriously - they're all evaluated on performance and are all expendable. And why would I "just trust" a rookie head coach who hasn't won anything yet?
There you go, you said it straight up and owned it. YOU don't trust the head coach. Apparently Colombo didn't either. Why you wtrust an insubordinate scrub noob asst coach whose unit sucked balls till Judge laid hands on in his person is beyond me. ( and yeah 4 years total coaching, as an asst, mind you is a NOOB in the NFL)
RE: tom brady is 42 fucking years old,  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 5:57 am : link
In comment 15052518 japanhead said:
Quote:
no surprise his deep ball has been off for the past few years.

that is some petty shit dropping that in addition to making him sound like a dick in the film room.

colombo must've hated judge badly
He was jelly. Judge was an asst that got the big job, and Colombo was the scrub coaching an underperforming OL. We will see the judgement of the rest of the NFL and how Colombo, and judge, do from here out. My guess is Judge will be around long after anyone remembers who Marc Colombo was.
They were actually correct  
section125 : 11/21/2020 6:19 am : link
on Brady not being able to throw outside the numbers. Last year he was awful. Anything over 15 yards was questionable. He seems better this year, but I was sure he was done last year. Of course he had crappy receivers in NE too.
RE: I don't expect him to win with this current roster  
Red Right Hand : 11/21/2020 6:29 am : link
In comment 15052560 eclipz928 said:
Quote:
My expectations for him would still be low even if he had a better roster, because he's a first time head coach. But it's always the case at least for me, whether the coach is a rookie or a veteran, that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt until he wins games consistently.
Unless of course, you are "Big Toes" Marc Colombo...
RE: RE: RE: Michael Silver graduated from Cal Berkeley ...  
Spider56 : 11/21/2020 8:54 am : link
In comment 15052817 Red Right Hand said:
Quote:
In comment 15052433 Go Terps said:


Quote:


In comment 15052420 Spider56 said:


Quote:


That tells me all I need to know about the author.



That he's smart and well educated?

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant a whining self entitled cry-baby.


I was actually thinking ‘professional shit stirrer’ but your comment works too. The ‘shit stirrer’ title hits home with many on this board.
RE: Why exactly is this such a big  
UConn4523 : 11/21/2020 9:03 am : link
In comment 15052660 section125 said:
Quote:
deal that would put posters at each other's throats?

Colombo wasn't getting it done. He got on Judge's wrong side. He got fired, instead of just working along with it. Now, with these antics he is going to be hard pressed to find a coaching job in the NFL and maybe even college. That he "liked" a tweet about Judge getting belted is really going to look bad - one of those social media moments that potentially sinks a career.

It seems the story changes ever few hours. So eventually most of the truth will come out. If it came down to Lombardi, Silver or Stapleton, who are you going to believe?


Simple. In the event that Judge doesn’t work out here and gets fired for being another bad Giants HC, those who think he was out of line in this 1 scenario will look back on this as their “I told you so” point.

Happens for just about everything.
Back to the Corner