for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Mets chat

DanMetroMan : 1/10/2021 11:51 am
Because I can only post one link in any given post I'm going to post the links in the post (I know that's annoying but what can you do?)

While I'd happily take Brad Hand, here is an excellent piece from
@MetsFix
regarding some legitimate concerns

https://t.co/dX8aKBeWJ5?amp=1

I will continue to push for Tim Locastro via trade as the 4th OF (Porter has him in Arizona). Great fit. Fastest player in baseball by sprint speed in 2020 https://t.co/4Jot9ynY5k?amp=1

Porter suggested they will be taking a step back and now letting the market come to them. Focused on depth. I'm not saying there is no chance they go for Springer, but rather they likely don't feel they NEED him now.

I've seen some fans suggest trading for Harrison Bader. Good luck. +34 DRS in CF career, was on a 3+ win pace this year. I know fans have floated his name but not sure why they feel he wouldn't cost a TON. 348 career games (roughly 2 seasons) 6.5 fWAR. 3 years of control. He'd cost a ton.


Outs Above Average (OAA) by #Mets' shortstops since 2017:

-38

Francisco Lindor's OAA since 2017:

+36

It likely wasn't going to be an issue with AG here but Lindor is a proven defensive wizard.


And finally, given the lux tax concerns, I like Jose Quintana most of the "likely to be cheaper" group of SP's. Obviously, someone like Kluber is intriguing as well but Quintana seems like a great fit. I think MLBTR is going to be low but 2 for 18 (9 per) fuck yeah.
.  
DanMetroMan : 1/10/2021 11:52 am : link
Replying to
@JeremyM84459000
Yes , I spoke to Lindor and Carrasco. Lindor comes from my in-laws hometown on Caguas , PR. They are very excited to be Mets
RE: .  
DanMetroMan : 1/10/2021 11:55 am : link
In comment 15117063 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
Replying to
@JeremyM84459000
Yes , I spoke to Lindor and Carrasco. Lindor comes from my in-laws hometown on Caguas , PR. They are very excited to be Mets


Sorry that's Cohen's response.
Lindor will be a natural in New York  
GiantBlue : 1/10/2021 12:01 pm : link
He has an amazing on-field personality that will quickly translate to endorsement deals that will handsomely supplement his MLB salary.

He has the chance to be a very popular face of the franchise for years to come.

I can see where he would be anxious to work out an extension.

Lindor  
DanMetroMan : 1/10/2021 12:02 pm : link
presser 11 am on Monday, Carrasco 11 am Tuesday
.  
DanMetroMan : 1/10/2021 12:15 pm : link
When was the last time
@Mets
had this problem? "Due to the high volume of calls and e-mails, we encourage all fans to fill out the form below. All inquiries will be answered as soon as possible in the order in which they are received."
...  
Named Later : 1/10/2021 12:22 pm : link
Dan --
I'm intrigued by the Tim Locastro solution. What do you think it might take to get him in a trade ??

You know me.....I hate to part with prospects ;-) But this guy might set up the whole defense.

RE: ...  
DanMetroMan : 1/10/2021 12:28 pm : link
In comment 15117100 Named Later said:
Quote:
Dan --
I'm intrigued by the Tim Locastro solution. What do you think it might take to get him in a trade ??

You know me.....I hate to part with prospects ;-) But this guy might set up the whole defense.


Locastro has 3 years of control so Arizona won't give him away but he also wouldn't cost one of the top 6-7 prospects (which is really who they need to be protecting right now). I suspect a prospect in the 15-20 range gets it done and quite frankly the names there are either not really great or legit 3-4-5 years away. If Arizona wants Carlos Cortes and a low level arm, have at it. Locastro would be perfect for a team full of plodders (Dom, Alonso, JDD, McCann (Sandy FWIW does not truly seem high on JDD at 3b but that's an unrelated aside)
...  
Named Later : 1/10/2021 12:33 pm : link
Do this !!

I was just watching some highlights of T-Lo, and they would have to increase the padding on the outfield walls for him. He's fearless out there !!
Link - ( New Window )
RE: ...  
DanMetroMan : 1/10/2021 12:49 pm : link
In comment 15117111 Named Later said:
Quote:
Do this !!

I was just watching some highlights of T-Lo, and they would have to increase the padding on the outfield walls for him. He's fearless out there !! Link - ( New Window )


Fantastic fit, has the odd gift of being HBP at a ridiculous rate. Great pinch runner option and Porter had him in Arizona
I'm really interested to see what they do in the IF market  
Eric on Li : 1/10/2021 12:51 pm : link
Obviously a lot depends on where McNeil settles in and 2b is probably most likely, so for that reason I definitely don't see them going for DJL and also doubt they feel the need to go for Kolten Wong, but it wouldn't shock me for Wong if he's a value they can't pass up. I'm not sure we can process how big of a defensive upgrade Lindor/Wong would be if they did it. Then they could put McNeil at 3b.

Kike Hernandez seems like a perfect fit with his postseason experience, track record, and versatility. They could give him a chance to start at 2B or 3B depending on where McNeil settles. only negative is that he hasn't played much 3b. He can also play all the OF positions to give them even more versatility. I'd have no issue targeting him with a deal more aggressive than most projections (2 or 3 years 5m AAV?).

Tommy la stella is an interesting idea and I believe he and Porter overlapped with CHC.

And of course the Toddfather is out there - who may be worth a ST invite.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make an IF move before OF now because so much hinges on the DH decision and Springer's market. Even after Lindor I think Springer is a real possibility, and I might even go so far as to consider them the favorite. If negotiations with Conforto don't go well he would help pre-emptively hedge against him possibly walking.
There‚Äôs the first sign that things are truly different now  
Shecky : 1/10/2021 1:04 pm : link
Not the trade,but the little overlooked things
The respect of giving each player their own moment
Might not seem important, but man what a GREAT move
What worries me  
BigBlueNH : 1/10/2021 1:35 pm : link
Lindor is probably such a superior talent that this trade makes sense. And it certainly makes us a MUCH stronger team in 2021. But no one, even Steve Cohen, can field a team full of $20M-$40M players. You need a fair number of solid, cost-controlled players. Next year, Thor, Stroman and Conforto are all FAs. The following year, I believe Diaz, Lugo, Nimmo, JD, Dom. Shortly after that, Alonso and McNeil. On the other hand, Rosario and particularly Giminez were gonna be real cheap for many years.

As a general rule, teams like the Mets with little talent near MLB-ready and a generally weak farm system should not be trading away its cost-controlled talent for big $$ contracts. Maybe you make an exception for a talent like Lindor, but every $ we pay him is $ we don't have to re-sign some of the above folks. Is anyone else concerned about this?
RE: What worries me  
pjcas18 : 1/10/2021 2:45 pm : link
In comment 15117191 BigBlueNH said:
Quote:
Lindor is probably such a superior talent that this trade makes sense. And it certainly makes us a MUCH stronger team in 2021. But no one, even Steve Cohen, can field a team full of $20M-$40M players. You need a fair number of solid, cost-controlled players. Next year, Thor, Stroman and Conforto are all FAs. The following year, I believe Diaz, Lugo, Nimmo, JD, Dom. Shortly after that, Alonso and McNeil. On the other hand, Rosario and particularly Giminez were gonna be real cheap for many years.

As a general rule, teams like the Mets with little talent near MLB-ready and a generally weak farm system should not be trading away its cost-controlled talent for big $$ contracts. Maybe you make an exception for a talent like Lindor, but every $ we pay him is $ we don't have to re-sign some of the above folks. Is anyone else concerned about this?


I agree with this in general, but as you suggest, there are players you make an exception for and Lindor is one of them.

If you do this for a Cano you can have problems, but when a player like Lindor becomes available at 27/28 years old you make this move (but extending Lindor is critical to the decision making process IMO).

But you also can't extend everyone, which is why the "win now" window is open and the move made sense at this time.
Carrasco is such a good value he is almost a cost controlled player  
Eric on Li : 1/10/2021 3:45 pm : link
Totally agree with Shecky's post about the intelligence in such a small detail and decision to give both players their own days.

Also completely agree with the sentiment above about needing cost controlled players - it's one of the reasons I'm disappointed we had to give up Gimenez.

Next year Thor, Conforto, Stroman (and obviously Lindor) need new deals. That's possibly $100m worth of AAV.
Year after that Nimmo, Diaz, Lugo.
Thankfully in 2024 things cool down.
Then in 2025 they have McNeil, Alonso, Dom.

McNeil, Alonso, Dom give the team a critical window of affordability right now, which is why I suspect 1 of the bigger ticket players due to hit FA in the next couple years above will likely get moved (or allowed to walk).

Not to rehash but that's why to maximize value and not lose anyone for nothing, Nimmo makes the most sense to trade to me unless they get the feeling they can't resign Conforto. They'd get more for Nimmo now with 2 years left than next year with just 1 year left. And it helps them add Springer. If they can get Springer on a deal they like I'd personally be aiming to trade Nimmo for another team's David Peterson + a lower level minor leaguer with some upside.
RE: RE: ...  
Rory : 1/11/2021 12:38 am : link
In comment 15117121 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
In comment 15117111 Named Later said:


Quote:


Do this !!

I was just watching some highlights of T-Lo, and they would have to increase the padding on the outfield walls for him. He's fearless out there !! Link - ( New Window )



Fantastic fit, has the odd gift of being HBP at a ridiculous rate. Great pinch runner option and Porter had him in Arizona


OMG i want, make it happen Dan
Back to the Corner