for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Knicks: 5-5 after 10 games

nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 8:13 am
Dissapointing 2 games but the Knicks are 5-5 after 10 which no one expected.

Randle is playing like a star player ehich again no one expected..

Starters need a change, i would put Rivers in for Bullock, adds a ball handler and a more competent shooter.

Barrett is really dissapointing right now, he is playing like Randle last year, jist barreling into people with no plan, it seems he forces his possessions rather than letting thr gmae come to him.

So the question now is, who can we find to be the running mate for randle?
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Sucks to say  
Mike in NJ : 1/11/2021 9:01 pm : link
But Barrett might be the worst player in the rotation. He’s atrocious lately.
I really hate watching Rj play basketball  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:02 pm : link
He jist forces everything and when he is wide open he cant shoot, it destroys the team, he is 5 for 17 i mean that kills a team..

You cant win with your back court being that bad shooting wise..
I know he is only 20  
Carl in CT : 1/11/2021 9:03 pm : link
But I’m ready to move on.
Knox should start.  
PetesHereNow : 1/11/2021 9:04 pm : link
He’s at least a decent shooter. Reggie Bullock will not matter to the Knicks 1-2 seasons from now, and Rivers is better off the bench. I’d like a 5 of Quickley, RJ, Knox, Randle, Mitch.
RE: Knox should start.  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:06 pm : link
In comment 15119399 PetesHereNow said:
Quote:
He’s at least a decent shooter. Reggie Bullock will not matter to the Knicks 1-2 seasons from now, and Rivers is better off the bench. I’d like a 5 of Quickley, RJ, Knox, Randle, Mitch.


Rj should not start
They would have been so much better off taking  
Mike in NJ : 1/11/2021 9:06 pm : link
Deandre Hunter.
Thibs  
Carl in CT : 1/11/2021 9:06 pm : link
You can’t have RJB, Payton & Robinson on the floor together! No shooters and too much pressure on Randle and whatever 2 guard.
RE: They would have been so much better off taking  
Greg from LI : 1/11/2021 9:09 pm : link
In comment 15119407 Mike in NJ said:
Quote:
Deandre Hunter.


If only they had listened to me *sigh*

Averaging 16 and 7 on 51% shooting.
Honestly wouldnt be shocked  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:09 pm : link
to see Rose and Thibs trade Rj, they didnt draft him, get what you can
Problem w/ RJ is he can’t shoot.  
PetesHereNow : 1/11/2021 9:09 pm : link
If you’re defending him, you can play back a step, and he doesn’t have great speed to get by.

Doesn’t leave us much. Very doubtful a star sees RJ and goes “damn I need to play with that dude.”
as soon as rj and payton are in  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:10 pm : link
hornets go to zone
RE: RE: Knox should start.  
PetesHereNow : 1/11/2021 9:12 pm : link
In comment 15119406 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
In comment 15119399 PetesHereNow said:


Quote:


He’s at least a decent shooter. Reggie Bullock will not matter to the Knicks 1-2 seasons from now, and Rivers is better off the bench. I’d like a 5 of Quickley, RJ, Knox, Randle, Mitch.



Rj should not start


You either have to start him and hope he gets better or trade him soon. Not sure if his shot is a fixable thing. He’s killing any value he might have every time he throws up a 25 percent shooting night.
RE: Honestly wouldnt be shocked  
BigBlueShock : 1/11/2021 9:12 pm : link
In comment 15119420 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
to see Rose and Thibs trade Rj, they didnt draft him, get what you can

That chance is gone. Who the hell would want him? I mean, they could obviously just trade him for a bag of balls but he is destroying any trade value he may have had with his performances lately
RE: RE: Honestly wouldnt be shocked  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:14 pm : link
In comment 15119429 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 15119420 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


to see Rose and Thibs trade Rj, they didnt draft him, get what you can


That chance is gone. Who the hell would want him? I mean, they could obviously just trade him for a bag of balls but he is destroying any trade value he may have had with his performances lately


You have to hope someone says they want the 3rd overall pick from last year..
RE: RE: RE: Knox should start.  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:16 pm : link
In comment 15119428 PetesHereNow said:
Quote:
In comment 15119406 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


In comment 15119399 PetesHereNow said:


Quote:


He’s at least a decent shooter. Reggie Bullock will not matter to the Knicks 1-2 seasons from now, and Rivers is better off the bench. I’d like a 5 of Quickley, RJ, Knox, Randle, Mitch.



Rj should not start



You either have to start him and hope he gets better or trade him soon. Not sure if his shot is a fixable thing. He’s killing any value he might have every time he throws up a 25 percent shooting night.


He is killing this team, like it or not Thibs wants to win and he will quickly lose this team if Rj keeps going 5 for 20 everh night..

This is awful, this isnt even oh he is young he will get right, no this is really bad
Everyone except  
GMEN46 : 1/11/2021 9:16 pm : link
For Mitch is tradeable. Mitch is really impressing me this year again he has tackled one of his issues, he isn’t fouling, he has learned sometimes he doesn’t need to get the block, he can be just as impactful going straight up. Doesn’t need to be Patrick Ewing but over the next 5 years needs to develop just a few moves. There is no reason he can’t become a 20-12-3 guy down the road.
RE: Everyone except  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:17 pm : link
In comment 15119437 GMEN46 said:
Quote:
For Mitch is tradeable. Mitch is really impressing me this year again he has tackled one of his issues, he isn’t fouling, he has learned sometimes he doesn’t need to get the block, he can be just as impactful going straight up. Doesn’t need to be Patrick Ewing but over the next 5 years needs to develop just a few moves. There is no reason he can’t become a 20-12-3 guy down the road.


You dont trade Randle either, you build around Randle and Mitch..
RJ’s lit up Indiana twice.  
bceagle05 : 1/11/2021 9:17 pm : link
Maybe they’ll take him.
Well we'll always have the 3 games in January 2020  
Stu11 : 1/11/2021 9:21 pm : link
Maybe ESPN can do a 30 for 30 on them...
Honestly team fully healthy  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:21 pm : link
id start rivers, Burks, Knox, Randle, Mitch..

zero untouchables  
Enzo : 1/11/2021 9:25 pm : link
on this team. That includes Mitch and Randle. In fact, if Randle's value has increased in the eyes of those around the league, I'd look to sell high on him.
RE: zero untouchables  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:34 pm : link
In comment 15119458 Enzo said:
Quote:
on this team. That includes Mitch and Randle. In fact, if Randle's value has increased in the eyes of those around the league, I'd look to sell high on him.


eventually you have to start keeping players and build a team
RE: zero untouchables  
Anakim : 1/11/2021 9:34 pm : link
In comment 15119458 Enzo said:
Quote:
on this team. That includes Mitch and Randle. In fact, if Randle's value has increased in the eyes of those around the league, I'd look to sell high on him.


I agree about Randle
I'd keep Quickley and Toppin  
Anakim : 1/11/2021 9:38 pm : link
The rest? I'd try to acquire first round picks. We already have two (hopefully two high ones) in 2021. Get your PG of the future and your playmaking swingman.
RJB has to be taken out of the starting rotation  
steve in ky : 1/11/2021 9:41 pm : link
He is killing the offense and should come off the bench until he earns more time. Knox and Rivers should be given a chance to start a few games. Put RJ and Payton on the second unit and maybe they will be more effective.
RE: RJB has to be taken out of the starting rotation  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:47 pm : link
In comment 15119494 steve in ky said:
Quote:
He is killing the offense and should come off the bench until he earns more time. Knox and Rivers should be given a chance to start a few games. Put RJ and Payton on the second unit and maybe they will be more effective.


Payton and rj cant play together, Payton has to be oit of the rotation..

rivers/quickley
Burks/rj
Knox/bullock
Randle/toppin
mitch/noel
It's  
Jon in NYC : 1/11/2021 9:52 pm : link
almost worth moving RJ to the second unit to see if he can get it going against 2nd stringers. This clearly isn't working.
There is no spacing with the starters  
nygiants16 : 1/11/2021 9:57 pm : link
teams just play zone so when you drive they collapse and even if the Knicks get a wide open 3 teams dont care..

Payton and Rj are wide open for a reason, noticed they closed out on rivers hard..
I may have jumped the gun ...  
Jim from Katonah : 1/11/2021 10:01 pm : link
... on my Quickley tattoo.
RE: I may have jumped the gun ...  
Jim in Fairfax : 1/11/2021 10:12 pm : link
In comment 15119542 Jim from Katonah said:
Quote:
... on my Quickley tattoo.

A moment of inspiration. A lifetime of regret.
Sounds like a good one to have missed tonight  
mfsd : 1/11/2021 10:15 pm : link
Knicks were due for a correction, but man we’ve crashed back to earth fast. Let’s see if Thibs can get them going again
Not trying to prove a point, but I said it last year:  
chopperhatch : 1/11/2021 11:18 pm : link
Barrett is not a good basketball player and had no business being a top 5 pick. I never saw it. I'll ask again, what is it that he does well? He was a better athlete than all his teammates and competition except for Zion and Reddish.

Cant shoot
Cant D up on the perimeter
Cant defend post up guys
Cant finish very well
Mediocre to below average handle
Cant pass
No floor vision
Nice first step (which you can build on if he learned some post game)
Pretty good leaper
No intensity
No toughness


He seems to be waiting for the game to open up for him....and that is just not how it always works. You have to pick one thing at a time, and develop a killer instinct for doing that well. Not the same player obv, but look at Jordan and his shooting. He had one part figured out (mid-range and getting to the net) he had to focus on the rest.

RJ has a child's mentality to playing this game.
RE: Not trying to prove a point, but I said it last year:  
Jim from Katonah : 1/11/2021 11:41 pm : link
In comment 15119671 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
Barrett is not a good basketball player and had no business being a top 5 pick. I never saw it. I'll ask again, what is it that he does well? He was a better athlete than all his teammates and competition except for Zion and Reddish.

Cant shoot
Cant D up on the perimeter
Cant defend post up guys
Cant finish very well
Mediocre to below average handle
Cant pass
No floor vision
Nice first step (which you can build on if he learned some post game)
Pretty good leaper
No intensity
No toughness


He seems to be waiting for the game to open up for him....and that is just not how it always works. You have to pick one thing at a time, and develop a killer instinct for doing that well. Not the same player obv, but look at Jordan and his shooting. He had one part figured out (mid-range and getting to the net) he had to focus on the rest.

RJ has a child's mentality to playing this game.


Major bummer. I was hoping at least he was a hard nosed grinder, a try hard who played with intensity and toughness. I rarely get to see full games ... so this is sobering. (Psychologically sobering not actually sobering, let’s not go crazy).
^^^^ Yea, like a small Kwame Brown  
chopperhatch : 1/11/2021 11:48 pm : link
RJ stinks real bad right now and they need to find somebody like a former player to work with him every day. One guy could be Allan Houston. Coach's son, terrific shooter off screens, great spot up shooter, could play with his back to the basket....Im not sure what Houston actually does for the team, but sharing some shooting tech and drills for a young guy who is the same size as RJ.
RE: ^^^^ Yea, like a small Kwame Brown  
Jim from Katonah : 1/12/2021 12:02 am : link
In comment 15119691 chopperhatch said:
Quote:
RJ stinks real bad right now and they need to find somebody like a former player to work with him every day. One guy could be Allan Houston. Coach's son, terrific shooter off screens, great spot up shooter, could play with his back to the basket....Im not sure what Houston actually does for the team, but sharing some shooting tech and drills for a young guy who is the same size as RJ.


I’m most concerned about your analysis of his defense. Lack of lateral quickness and instincts is hard to teach. I coached a lot of hoops and could always spot the kids who had “it” on defense early on. No amount of prodding or intensity could turn it turn it around when they didn’t. Sheesh. 5-3 seems like a lifetime ago.
RE: RE: ^^^^ Yea, like a small Kwame Brown  
chopperhatch : 1/12/2021 1:29 am : link
In comment 15119700 Jim from Katonah said:
Quote:
In comment 15119691 chopperhatch said:


Quote:


RJ stinks real bad right now and they need to find somebody like a former player to work with him every day. One guy could be Allan Houston. Coach's son, terrific shooter off screens, great spot up shooter, could play with his back to the basket....Im not sure what Houston actually does for the team, but sharing some shooting tech and drills for a young guy who is the same size as RJ.



I’m most concerned about your analysis of his defense. Lack of lateral quickness and instincts is hard to teach. I coached a lot of hoops and could always spot the kids who had “it” on defense early on. No amount of prodding or intensity could turn it turn it around when they didn’t. Sheesh. 5-3 seems like a lifetime ago.


The lateral quicks is def alarming. I think he has a quick north south first step. But he crosses over his feet all the time. Looks clumsy. Surprised he didnt get that coached out of him at Duke. I though K would have seen that.
It was drilled into me  
chopperhatch : 1/12/2021 1:38 am : link
That when deeing up, you move your feet quicker not farther. Kinda like George Brett talking about hitting a baseball: swing faster, not harder.

When I played high school ball in North Jersey, I was taught early on that the quicker you moved your feet, the better chance you had of getting to your spot than the guy dribbling a ball....usually. I was shorter than most point guards in High School so I had to really rely on that and making it harder for the guy I was defending to dribble the ball. I got really good at it and still use those techniques to this day when playing pick up.

Barrett CAN do the same thing, but it is hard...much harder to do physically. It is exhausting. I dont see anybody teaching him that style of D. Think Patrick Beverly....Frank moves his feet terrificly on D. Barrett is just slow and clumsy in everything he does. Even when he turns the ball over, his head isnt up looking where to go. He buries it to the floor trying to run a straight line as fast as he can as if thats gonna help.

He's very frustrating to watch.
Quickley in the gym at 2am love to see it  
nygiants16 : 1/12/2021 8:47 am : link
I didnt knoe Rivers was a good leader, talked about give them time and they will get it right, they are not going to jjst lay down and they will be a good team..

Sounded better coming from him but you can tell hr is a leader
Knicks  
TyreeHelmet : 1/12/2021 9:52 am : link
I know its the same old story but they desperately need some shooting. You should not be able to zone up a NBA team that easily.

He's been a bust and not currently in the rotation but maybe the Knicks should take a flier on Malik Monk. Does have that Kentucky connection. DSJ for Monk?

But whatever they do this offseason and going forward- they have to find some shooters. And they cannot play Payton and Barrett together anymore.
RE: Knicks  
nygiants16 : 1/12/2021 10:04 am : link
In comment 15119911 TyreeHelmet said:
Quote:
I know its the same old story but they desperately need some shooting. You should not be able to zone up a NBA team that easily.

He's been a bust and not currently in the rotation but maybe the Knicks should take a flier on Malik Monk. Does have that Kentucky connection. DSJ for Monk?

But whatever they do this offseason and going forward- they have to find some shooters. And they cannot play Payton and Barrett together anymore.


The biggest problem is they are passing up open 3s to drive into thebpaint and then get in trouble..

and it is not jist Payton and Rj, Quickley and Rivers passdd up open shots as well
Notable around the league  
DanMetroMan : 1/12/2021 10:14 am : link
LaMelo didn't shoot well but man am I jealous

Beal 34, 8 and 9. This season sure looks like his full-on coming out party

Avdija 6 and 5, he's shown some real flashes. Impressive kid

Hawks beat the Sixers

Sabonis 28, 11 and 3

Barnes 30 and 8

Haliburton 12, 3 and 4 (he's been impressive)

So... Chris Boucher is really good? 20, 8 and 3 blocks. Suddenly a beast.

-Melo shooting 41% from 3. Feels like it may hand on for a multi-year run as a role player. As it is, he's 14th all-time in points and should finish the season top 10... all-time. Legit shot to pass Shaq (8th) before he retires.
RJ does get to the basket very well  
Anakim : 1/12/2021 10:28 am : link
That's his strength. One of his only strengths, but he is able to drive to the basket very well.
Teams starting to double and triple Randle freely  
nygiants16 : 1/12/2021 11:35 am : link
when they were winning other players made teams pay, right now no one is stepping up..


Really miss Burks to knock down open 3s..
Lamelo  
TyreeHelmet : 1/12/2021 11:36 am : link
Looks like he has the goods. Really impressed with him so far. Charlotte is actually a fun team to watch with some nice pieces. Could definitely be a playoff team.

Big picture Knicks are 5-6 which we all would have signed up for.
The Good- Robinson playing well, Knox showing some life and Quickley looking promising. Randle has been great.

The Bad- Barrett is really struggling and doesn't look like hes improved much since last year. Frank is injured and nowhere to be found. DSJ will probably be out of the league.
We all knew this would happen with Thibs, the vets would get run to  
Jim in Hoboken : 1/12/2021 1:16 pm : link
the ground and the youngsters wouldn’t get any burn. Obviously things started out a little more promisingly and I am glad he’s at least playing some, not all, of the young players. Say what you want about having to earn minutes, but is playing Bullocks, Rivers, Payton, or even Burks when he comes back, going to help this team in the future? Are we going to give them all 15M a year contracts and win 30 games just to miss the playoffs? What good does that do? Are we going to give randle a 30-35M a year contract and hope to get our hands on someone like Beal? Is that really a sound plan?

Honestly I don’t expect much, I’ll call this season a success if Knox becomes a contributor and Obi and Quickley show potential. Givd these three 25-30 min each a game and see what you have. As for RJ, somebody should tell him if you miss 3 shots you are not allowed to shoot any more. Only drives to the basket I don’t care if your shot gets blocked every time. He has to learn to score, he doesn’t have to be penciled in for 20 shots a game.
RE: We all knew this would happen with Thibs, the vets would get run to  
nygiants16 : 1/12/2021 3:07 pm : link
In comment 15120235 Jim in Hoboken said:
Quote:
the ground and the youngsters wouldn’t get any burn. Obviously things started out a little more promisingly and I am glad he’s at least playing some, not all, of the young players. Say what you want about having to earn minutes, but is playing Bullocks, Rivers, Payton, or even Burks when he comes back, going to help this team in the future? Are we going to give them all 15M a year contracts and win 30 games just to miss the playoffs? What good does that do? Are we going to give randle a 30-35M a year contract and hope to get our hands on someone like Beal? Is that really a sound plan?

Honestly I don’t expect much, I’ll call this season a success if Knox becomes a contributor and Obi and Quickley show potential. Givd these three 25-30 min each a game and see what you have. As for RJ, somebody should tell him if you miss 3 shots you are not allowed to shoot any more. Only drives to the basket I don’t care if your shot gets blocked every time. He has to learn to score, he doesn’t have to be penciled in for 20 shots a game.


What young player is not getting consistent minutes?
I don't understand  
Enzo : 1/12/2021 4:08 pm : link
how a guy like Barrett can have a father who played professional basketball and have such a lousy jumper. Not only that, the guy had nothing to do from basically April to December except practice. It could just be that something is fundamentally broken in his form. He may have to completely rebuild his jumper from scratch at some point if he doesn't get better. It's been done before. At least he's still young.
Barrett's 3PT% is now a sparkling 18%  
Greg from LI : 1/12/2021 4:13 pm : link
.
RE: We all knew this would happen with Thibs, the vets would get run to  
TyreeHelmet : 1/12/2021 5:10 pm : link
In comment 15120235 Jim in Hoboken said:
Quote:
the ground and the youngsters wouldn’t get any burn. Obviously things started out a little more promisingly and I am glad he’s at least playing some, not all, of the young players. Say what you want about having to earn minutes, but is playing Bullocks, Rivers, Payton, or even Burks when he comes back, going to help this team in the future? Are we going to give them all 15M a year contracts and win 30 games just to miss the playoffs? What good does that do? Are we going to give randle a 30-35M a year contract and hope to get our hands on someone like Beal? Is that really a sound plan?

Honestly I don’t expect much, I’ll call this season a success if Knox becomes a contributor and Obi and Quickley show potential. Givd these three 25-30 min each a game and see what you have. As for RJ, somebody should tell him if you miss 3 shots you are not allowed to shoot any more. Only drives to the basket I don’t care if your shot gets blocked every time. He has to learn to score, he doesn’t have to be penciled in for 20 shots a game.


What youngsters do you want him to play more? And what vets are getting run into the ground? We are 11 games in. Such a ridiculous myth of Thibs.
RE: Barrett's 3PT% is now a sparkling 18%  
Jim in Fairfax : 1/12/2021 5:35 pm : link
In comment 15120435 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
.

Maybe the NBA could handicap 3 pointers like golf. Give Barrett 6 points per bucket.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner