for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Rosenblatt: Giants now over the 2021 cap due to escalators

Vin_Cuccs : 1/21/2021 11:02 am
In 2021, that applies to four Giants players, with their cap hit increase noted:

- G Will Hernandez: From $2.37 million to $3.05 million

- EDGE Lorenzo Carter: From $1.299 million to $2.44 million

- DT B.J. Hill: From $1.28 million to $2.44 million

- CB Isaac Yiadom: From $954,250 to $2.18 million

Link below.
Link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 3 4 <<Prev | Show All |
For comparison OTC shows 14 teams currently over the cap  
BillT : 1/21/2021 2:58 pm : link
5 more with less than $10m.
panic and hysteria sets in  
djm : 1/21/2021 3:31 pm : link
.it will be ok. stay away from sharp objects.
RE: Full disclosure...  
djm : 1/21/2021 3:32 pm : link
In comment 15129746 Dnew15 said:
Quote:
I have no idea how the salary cap in the NFL actually works.


Yea, no one does.
RE: gotta believe Carter is a goner which  
djm : 1/21/2021 3:33 pm : link
In comment 15129749 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
saves about $2m. If you can't play Judge won't care about the "upside".


huh? Carter did play and played well before he was injured.

RE: RE: Full disclosure...  
djm : 1/21/2021 3:35 pm : link
In comment 15129767 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 15129746 Dnew15 said:


Quote:


I have no idea how the salary cap in the NFL actually works.



Sounds like a job for BBI Capologist djm.

Former Enron accountant... ;)


Haha except there is no job for anyone here. And I don't profess to know any of these stupid cap details other than the Giants will be able to add to this team without much subtraction. Watch. Then wait. And I will be back to say I told you so.

We aren't in cap hell. Not even close. This thread is ridiculous.
I mean just fucking stop already  
djm : 1/21/2021 3:42 pm : link
there is literally ONE...count them ONE player on this entire team that could be fairly labeled as "highly overpaid" --which is a stupid fucking label to being with, but fans need something to rally around because they have no grip on any relevant shit in the sports word, but I digress.

ONe player people. One. This thread comes off as if the entire team is composed of highly paid long term and past their prime players that got a HC fired. Oh wait. DG INHERETED that team and 99% of this place wanted him to nuke the entire roster and start. Which....HE DID.

The Giants have 2 players that are worth bringing back. ONE that is great. One that is good. The rest of the roster is primarily composed of younger players. Many have flashed already. Many more need to. This isn't an old team. This isn't a team up against any cap or any financial doomsday scenario and even that can be overstated around here. It's only the end of the world when the entire team shits the bed like it did 2017.

Stop with the hysterics.
and take a look at 2022  
djm : 1/21/2021 3:49 pm : link
..you don't even need to. Common sense would tell anyone that other than about 3-4 players there are very few long term monster contracts and not one of them is problematic.

Zietler (not that long and worth it)
Solder (not that long)
Martinez (worth it)
Bradbury (worth it)
Ryan (not that long but worth it)
Shepard (middle of the road salary)
Peppers(should I even include him?)
Engram (should I even include him?)
Barkley(should I even include him?)


This team pretty much NEEDS highly paid long term vets. They have hardly any, save for the choice few I listed.

I hope like hell this team is in serious cap hell in 2 years. That means we spent a bunch of money on good to great players. Last time we were in cap hell, prior to 2017, was when we were in the playoffs every other year.
And the hits just keep on coming.  
Dave in Hoboken : 1/21/2021 3:52 pm : link
Terrible.
djm  
BillT : 1/21/2021 3:55 pm : link
It's hopeless but thanks for trying. Almost half the league is over the cap (14 teams). You're a (welcome) voice in the wilderness!
RE: RE: RE: The good news?  
christian : 1/21/2021 4:16 pm : link
In comment 15130039 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
The Giants problem has not been cap management per se, but more so resource allocation and veteran player analysis.

In two offseasons (18/19), the Giants added maybe one good veteran players (Zeitler).

That they can now wiggle out of those deals is a moral victory on the spreadsheet, but wasn't that inspiring on the field.



The key here is signing and extending those whose futures lie with us..The rest is noise.


A key component to extending and signing the future really does rest with cutting Tate, Solder, and either cutting or trading Zeitler. And while that will free up upwards of 50M dollars over the next two years, it will result in upwards of 17M in dead money.

From a financial perspective, you’d like players to play through the years with guaranteed money. The Bradberry and Martinez contracts are excellent examples of how to make that likely.
RE: RE: Full disclosure...  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/21/2021 4:42 pm : link
In comment 15130112 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 15129746 Dnew15 said:


Quote:


I have no idea how the salary cap in the NFL actually works.



Yea, no one does.

No, YOU don't.

It's fully published and several people here know exactly how it works.
Not sure how realistic OTC is...  
D HOS : 1/21/2021 4:48 pm : link
But using OTC and cutting:

Tate (June 1)
Solder (June 1)
Zeitler
Engram
Toilio
R. Lewis
Yiadom

That shows us with a Cap of 180.8m ( I assume this includes rollover) and Cap Room of 33.9.m

My thinking with those cuts is:

Tate - replace with a FA (below)
Solder - we don't need him
Zeitler - Hernandez can take his spot
EE - replace with a FA (below)
Toilio - replace with any vet minimum / UDFA
Yiadom - replace with a FA (below)

Honestly there are other cuts to make but the replacement may actually cost us more money or be a wash.

My cuts leave 3-4 roster holes, as we can backfill the tackle, guard and WR roster spots with the guys we have in the pipeline.

Then if I transition tag Leonard and Franchise Tag Dalvin, I show 7m room.

That's not going to work. We need way more than 7m cap room.

So we let Dalvin walk (weep) and keep the transition tag on LW and OTC shows me we have 20m of cap room.

That's tight, but I think we can work with it?

Is OTC accurate? Or is that just fantasy numbers?

Now I don't know that much about contracts, but with 20m cap space, shouldn't we be able to afford FA's Corey Davis, Jonnu Smith (TE), Michael Davis (CB) plus a few of our own cheap FA? Then our draft choices, and then the usual carousel of swapping one vet minimum guy for a different one?

I know that's not perfect (pass rusher in 2021 2021 except possible day 1 or 2 draft choice) but the three guys I named I think would be big upgrades, affordable and barring injury that is three less chronic roster holes for the next few years.

Honestly, the other guys we would cut and the guys we let walk, they aren't really much better if any than a roll-the-dice cheap vet / UDFA so to me that's going to basically a wash, cap-wise.

Am I delusional? Just a lack of knowledge? Or maybe the situation for the GMen is workable if we temper our expectations and realize it will still take another year or two, to get where we want to be?

In 2021, when we should have major cap room  
D HOS : 1/21/2021 4:51 pm : link
We can give LW a nice contract and find us a premium pass rusher. Deal with Barkley, Jones, etc...
Sorry, I mean 2022  
D HOS : 1/21/2021 4:51 pm : link
dur...
RE: Sorry, I mean 2022  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/21/2021 5:15 pm : link
In comment 15130187 D HOS said:
Quote:
dur...

So, let him walk for a year?

In 2022, we'll also have Barkley to deal with, and Jones entering the final year of his rookie contract, along with Dexter Lawrence.

Borrowing from future years and kicking the can down the road is something that is ill-advised, but can make sense under the right circumstances. A rebuilding team is never in in those right circumstances.
RE: Not sure how realistic OTC is...  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/21/2021 5:25 pm : link
In comment 15130184 D HOS said:
Quote:
But using OTC and cutting:

Tate (June 1)
Solder (June 1)
Zeitler
Engram
Toilio
R. Lewis
Yiadom

That shows us with a Cap of 180.8m ( I assume this includes rollover) and Cap Room of 33.9.m

My thinking with those cuts is:

Tate - replace with a FA (below)
Solder - we don't need him
Zeitler - Hernandez can take his spot
EE - replace with a FA (below)
Toilio - replace with any vet minimum / UDFA
Yiadom - replace with a FA (below)

Honestly there are other cuts to make but the replacement may actually cost us more money or be a wash.

My cuts leave 3-4 roster holes, as we can backfill the tackle, guard and WR roster spots with the guys we have in the pipeline.

Then if I transition tag Leonard and Franchise Tag Dalvin, I show 7m room.

That's not going to work. We need way more than 7m cap room.

So we let Dalvin walk (weep) and keep the transition tag on LW and OTC shows me we have 20m of cap room.

That's tight, but I think we can work with it?

Is OTC accurate? Or is that just fantasy numbers?

Now I don't know that much about contracts, but with 20m cap space, shouldn't we be able to afford FA's Corey Davis, Jonnu Smith (TE), Michael Davis (CB) plus a few of our own cheap FA? Then our draft choices, and then the usual carousel of swapping one vet minimum guy for a different one?

I know that's not perfect (pass rusher in 2021 2021 except possible day 1 or 2 draft choice) but the three guys I named I think would be big upgrades, affordable and barring injury that is three less chronic roster holes for the next few years.

Honestly, the other guys we would cut and the guys we let walk, they aren't really much better if any than a roll-the-dice cheap vet / UDFA so to me that's going to basically a wash, cap-wise.

Am I delusional? Just a lack of knowledge? Or maybe the situation for the GMen is workable if we temper our expectations and realize it will still take another year or two, to get where we want to be?

Why would you transition tag LW? Coming off of the franchise tag, the tender is exactly the same as a second FT, which is to say that it's a REALLY bad idea, and the transition tag comes with less benefits but the exact same price.

Further, you cannot typically use both the franchise and transition tags simultaneously. That rule seems to have been suspended for last offseason, and it's unclear whether it remains suspended for this offseason, but even if it does, the escalated tag number for LW combined with the FT for Tomlinson would represent more cap space than the Giants could realistically clear for this year.

No offense, but I don't think you should throw around cap move strategy without reading up a bit more on the rules.
RE: But BBI told me  
5BowlsSoon : 1/21/2021 5:40 pm : link
In comment 15129777 JoeyBigBlue said:
Quote:
That the Giants were doing great with the salary cap. We will be lucky to sign Williams now after all the cuts:


These are probably the same guys who were telling you DG was stupid for trying for Leonard Williams or Saquon Barkley was the better pick over Josh Allen or cutting Ryan Connelly was another stupid mistake.
I only would transition tag williams to keep him here  
D HOS : 1/21/2021 5:52 pm : link
Not ideal, but cheaper than the contract he wants, isn't it? Just to get us into 2022 when we can give the still-young Williams his deal. Now would Williams agree? Probably not... His value is probably never going to be more than it is this offseason.

I wasn't sure about tagging both williams and tomlinson but it doesn't matter, I don't see how we keep both no matter what we do.
ah damn  
D HOS : 1/21/2021 6:12 pm : link
LOL, posting while on conf. calls = divided mind = brain farts, I was thinking franchise on williams and transition on tomlinson but wrote it backwards. never mind... We did tag JPP twice, though wasn't his IR year in between? It's very rare, I get that.
Nothing to see here  
DavidinBMNY : 1/21/2021 7:09 pm : link
There are teams way over the cap and some of those teams have few players under contract. I think the Steelers are over 20mill over and have less then 40 players under contract.

Giants have some moves they can make easily and still retain Williams. I'm not sure they can retain Tomlinson at the same time.

Getting low priced , low risk high reward players is a good strategy, especially this year with much less game tape on film from college, no combine etc. I hope they add a few more players that fall into this theme and maybe one of them will hit.
RE: ah damn  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/21/2021 7:15 pm : link
In comment 15130268 D HOS said:
Quote:
LOL, posting while on conf. calls = divided mind = brain farts, I was thinking franchise on williams and transition on tomlinson but wrote it backwards. never mind... We did tag JPP twice, though wasn't his IR year in between? It's very rare, I get that.

Even with that correction, it's still a bad idea.

The way that repeated tags work is that they trigger a value of 120% of the previous year's tag. Which means that LW would get a 20% raise while the cap goes down significantly.

It also would bring his 2-year guaranteed money to ~$35M, with no assurance beyond this year. It's a very desperate, very undesirable scenario for the Giants, and should only even be entertained if LW and NYG are very far apart on price before the FA period opens.

We'd be better off just asking his team what dollar amount it will take to sign him and then structure his contract favorably - even just handing him a blank check would likely result in a better cap situation than tagging him a second time this year.
And if you think we're in bad shape  
DavidinBMNY : 1/21/2021 7:16 pm : link
Dallas doesn't have either Dalton or Dak under the cap. And they have $24 million in cap space. Eagles are $53 million over.

The team poised to make a move is Washington. They have the money to go get a QB if one is free.
This team won six games and has to make choices to get under the cap  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/21/2021 7:40 pm : link
A bad expensive team is a management failure. I have no idea why there's an attempt to spin this.
RE: This team won six games and has to make choices to get under the cap  
Go Terps : 1/21/2021 7:42 pm : link
In comment 15130306 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
A bad expensive team is a management failure. I have no idea why there's an attempt to spin this.


You know why. Because a team that went 33-15 the last three years deserves some more slack.

It's not like they went 15-33...
I guess I shouldn't be surprised  
Ten Ton Hammer : 1/21/2021 7:44 pm : link
Some of the same people who swear Jerry Reese left the team in cap hell now say there is no real salary cap, and they can fix it whenever they want to. Wild tales.
This is where Abrams earns  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 1/21/2021 7:48 pm : link
his keep.
RE: This is where Abrams earns  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/21/2021 7:53 pm : link
In comment 15130316 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
his keep.

Let's get real here - Abrams works for Mara. He's not especially great at what he does, but he's not going to actually face a moment of reckoning while JM is calling the shots.
I see the nonsense continues.....  
George from PA : 1/22/2021 3:43 am : link
1st the 2021 calender year starts March 17th....so Roseblatt article title is wrong and it impossible for Giants to be over cap for 2021 BECAUSE 2021 HASN'T STARTED YET.

It should say something like..if nfl 2021 calender started today, the Giants would be over.....

2nd, the Giants are doing a great job with the cap and front loading contracts.....

Most FA contract typically are back loaded for example...24 mil in bonus, 1st year salary is 150k, 2nd year 7 million, 3rd year 10 mil....so cap hit is 8mil in 1st year, 15 in 2nd and 18 in 3rd.

This past year with Blake and Bradberry....the Giants did not back load but front/flat contract....with a cap hit of 10 mil every year.

3rd the Giants are in great shape cap wise....2022 should a very good year...for Giants. The Giants wanted to use all their 2020 cap....so they went right to the limit...which was pushed over due to escalation....no biggie. This is a very conservative approach which is easily resolve....
RE: RE: This is where Abrams earns  
section125 : 1/22/2021 7:39 am : link
In comment 15130320 Gatorade Dunk said:
Quote:
In comment 15130316 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:


Quote:


his keep.


Let's get real here - Abrams works for Mara. He's not especially great at what he does, but he's not going to actually face a moment of reckoning while JM is calling the shots.


Stupid take. What has JM got to do with Abrams besides signing his check?

Abrams has done a very good job managing the cap.
RE: RE: RE: This is where Abrams earns  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/22/2021 7:42 am : link
In comment 15130495 section125 said:
Quote:
In comment 15130320 Gatorade Dunk said:


Quote:


In comment 15130316 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:


Quote:


his keep.


Let's get real here - Abrams works for Mara. He's not especially great at what he does, but he's not going to actually face a moment of reckoning while JM is calling the shots.



Stupid take. What has JM got to do with Abrams besides signing his check?

Abrams has done a very good job managing the cap.

You can keep repeating that as often as you'd like, but it's not actually accurate. Abrams has done a satisfactory job. Adequate at best.
RE: gotta believe Carter is a goner which  
NYDCBlue : 1/22/2021 7:57 am : link
In comment 15129749 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
saves about $2m. If you can't play Judge won't care about the "upside".


How do you build a team by cutting everyone? Carter may or may not be an below average starter, but he makes for excellent depth! You cut him, and he will have to be replaced with a higher priced free agent.

You can't build a team by coming in and just cutting everyone on the thought that they must all be losers, or else you would not have lost so many games..... Well, you can do that. And Gettleman kind of did do that, which is why the rebuild here has been so long and ineffective. The front office should be looking to upgrade talent everywhere on the field, so long as they can fit the players under the cap. Let training camp sort it all out.
RE: This team won six games and has to make choices to get under the cap  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/22/2021 8:42 am : link
In comment 15130306 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
A bad expensive team is a management failure. I have no idea why there's an attempt to spin this.


Because we aren't an expensive team. Look at the projected cap health in the next few years. It is very good.

The better question is asking why there's spin making it sound like we are in a poor cap situation and acting like all teams aren't making multiple moves due to the cap every year.

Teams - both good and bad have several decisions to make every season on cuts and restructures. We are actually on the lower end of that this year - which is where a team that is young and rebuilding should be.

I really do think a lot of you would rather have the team $80M below the cap and trumpet it as good cap management.
Bigger concerns than contemplating the quality of depth.  
chick310 : 1/22/2021 9:04 am : link
Giants need to find and develop a lot more starters that can help them win games. Having a middling starter on the roster, and a backup that is just a notch below middling, is often spun here as "good competition" or "quality depth". When really all it is is just a position of weakness.

Giants arguably need to upgrade about 4 starters on the Offense and probably 3-4 on the Defense. That many will take far too long to find via the Draft therefore the Giants still need to remain pretty active in Free Agency in my opinion. And that means clearing out a lot of space off the current roster. The roster that, while showed improvement in 2020, still managed to lose 10 games fairly easily.

You often hear that you don't get better by cutting your good players. But exactly how many good players do you think we have on this 6-10 team? The four teams playing on Sunday to go to the Super Bowl won 14, 13, 13 and 11 games. The Giants have no where near enough.
Here's one example..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 1/22/2021 9:34 am : link
of a team with a similar record as us and the cap issues they face - the Carolina Panthers.

They will go from having $50M in dead money this year to only about $10M next year. They are $5M under the cap now. They are paying Teddy Bridgewater $21M a year and really can't cut him this season.

They will have to decide whether or not to restructure Kawann Short - who will make $21M next year and is 32 years old. Taylor Moton and Curtis Samuel will not be able to be retained.

But with all that being said - the Panthers are in the middle of the pack in relation to the cap. Very similar decisions to make and they are a team with a similar record and a mediocre QB.

The doom and gloom over us in relation to the rest of the teams isn't bad. If the salary cap stays at $175 million, the Saints will have to cut more than $90 million worth of space to even start the league year. That's the direst situation, but the Eagles (nearly $70 million), Falcons ($37 million), Steelers ($30 million), Packers ($24 million), Rams ($24 million), and Chiefs ($23 million) are also substantially over the cap already.
The Saints are a team that as a lot of work to do  
LBH15 : 1/22/2021 9:58 am : link
in order to get under the cap. A guy that could potentially be of interest to the Giants is their backup Center Nick Easton. He makes over $6M and because of that I have seen his name on several likely cut lists.

One way the Giants can get a bit creative, create some savings and maybe even upgrade the Oline is adding an experienced Center to take over for Gates. And then use Gates' versatility and move him to RG and displace Zeitler and his expensive salary.

Easton has had some concussion issues this year so that is a concern but might be worth the risk.
RE: Bigger concerns than contemplating the quality of depth.  
JonC : 1/22/2021 10:00 am : link
In comment 15130532 chick310 said:
Quote:
Giants need to find and develop a lot more starters that can help them win games. Having a middling starter on the roster, and a backup that is just a notch below middling, is often spun here as "good competition" or "quality depth". When really all it is is just a position of weakness.

Giants arguably need to upgrade about 4 starters on the Offense and probably 3-4 on the Defense. That many will take far too long to find via the Draft therefore the Giants still need to remain pretty active in Free Agency in my opinion. And that means clearing out a lot of space off the current roster. The roster that, while showed improvement in 2020, still managed to lose 10 games fairly easily.

You often hear that you don't get better by cutting your good players. But exactly how many good players do you think we have on this 6-10 team? The four teams playing on Sunday to go to the Super Bowl won 14, 13, 13 and 11 games. The Giants have no where near enough.


+1, and that is the crux of their problems in a nutshell, a lack of talent. Even their best players have much to prove on an NFL field.
FYI...  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 1/22/2021 10:32 am : link
the article was slightly off in the actual salary number increases for all four players. (Nothing major)

Here are the exact figures...


Giants Searching for New Offensive Line Coach; Sign Defensive End - ( New Window )
RE: The Saints are a team that as a lot of work to do  
bigbluescot : 1/22/2021 11:19 am : link
In comment 15130595 LBH15 said:
Quote:
in order to get under the cap. A guy that could potentially be of interest to the Giants is their backup Center Nick Easton. He makes over $6M and because of that I have seen his name on several likely cut lists.

One way the Giants can get a bit creative, create some savings and maybe even upgrade the Oline is adding an experienced Center to take over for Gates. And then use Gates' versatility and move him to RG and displace Zeitler and his expensive salary.

Easton has had some concussion issues this year so that is a concern but might be worth the risk.


Depending on what the cap actually ends up being, the Saints could really really struggle to get under the cap.
Over the cap has them having to cut/retire Brees, Sanders, Jenkins, Easton, Brown, Alexander then trade Lattimore and restructure/extend Jordan, Thomas, Armstead, Peat and Hill. And all that will get them just about under the cap, but won't create room for the draft class and will leave them with about 30 players under contract so they'd probably need around another $15 million at least.
Some of these suggestions are off the wall  
Bruner4329 : 1/22/2021 11:20 am : link
So lets get rid of Zeitler and Hernandez can take his place? Really? Hernandez has taken a step back and could not even reclaim his job he lost to a rookie. Please you got to do better.

Also not resigning our most dominating lineman is a joke. BTW how much better would he be if we had a legit edge rusher?

Finally EE is so frustrating to watch but with the needs we have to me TE is not a priority. WR, Edge Rusher and Corner are much more important
Zeitler's a potential restructuring option, imv  
JonC : 1/22/2021 11:26 am : link
more than a cap casualty at this time, just don't see them letting him go and giving the spot to WH or SL. They need to draft another interior OL and potentially a RT to keep pushing Peart, et al.
Reviewing average salaries for Right Guards  
LBH15 : 1/22/2021 12:35 pm : link
makes it pretty apparent how overpaid Zeitler is to the value he provides.

The biggest issue with making some kind of move with Zeitler is that Right Tackle is a bigger concern imv. And it might be best to not have an entire new right side of the line and keep a veteran like Zeitler in place another season.

However, as noted above, almost every starting position should still be reviewed for upgrade.
I'm not worried at all.  
Marty in Albany : 1/22/2021 12:43 pm : link
1. It's not my money.
2. All my other reasons are less significant.
RE: Zeitler's a potential restructuring option, imv  
Milton : 1/22/2021 12:46 pm : link
In comment 15130744 JonC said:
Quote:
more than a cap casualty at this time, just don't see them letting him go and giving the spot to WH or SL. They need to draft another interior OL and potentially a RT to keep pushing Peart, et al.
+1

And left guard is still not "officially" solved just because we saw improvement under LeMieux. Remember how we were all fooled by 5th round pick Connelly's production his rookie year. I thought he was going to be a mainstay for years. And Slayton is another late round pick who couldn't come close to duplicating his rookie year success, although hopefully that was merely due to injuries and we can expect better production from him in the future.

p.s.--I'm actually quite hopeful regarding LeMieux but the jury is definitely still out.
RE: Zeitler's a potential restructuring option, imv  
christian : 1/22/2021 1:12 pm : link
In comment 15130744 JonC said:
Quote:
more than a cap casualty at this time, just don't see them letting him go and giving the spot to WH or SL. They need to draft another interior OL and potentially a RT to keep pushing Peart, et al.


The Giants are in the driver’s seat with Zeitler. No roster bonus and no guaranteed salary. If they find an upgrade in UFA or the draft they can act, and cut or trade Zeitler. If not keep or restructure.
RE: RE: Zeitler's a potential restructuring option, imv  
JonC : 1/22/2021 1:14 pm : link
In comment 15130843 Milton said:
Quote:
In comment 15130744 JonC said:


Quote:


more than a cap casualty at this time, just don't see them letting him go and giving the spot to WH or SL. They need to draft another interior OL and potentially a RT to keep pushing Peart, et al.

+1

And left guard is still not "officially" solved just because we saw improvement under LeMieux. Remember how we were all fooled by 5th round pick Connelly's production his rookie year. I thought he was going to be a mainstay for years. And Slayton is another late round pick who couldn't come close to duplicating his rookie year success, although hopefully that was merely due to injuries and we can expect better production from him in the future.

p.s.--I'm actually quite hopeful regarding LeMieux but the jury is definitely still out.


Agreed, it's why I mentioned needing another interior OL. While the unit looked somewhat improved, it still ranked at the bottom of the NFL. No time to rest on laurels.
JonC  
Milton : 1/22/2021 1:26 pm : link
It's also why OL in round one isn't out of the question despite the desperate need for playmakers on both offense and defense. Good thing about Gettleman is that he won't bow to public pressure to land a shiny new object in round one, he will draft strictly based on evaluation and grade. I can't recall a draft in recent memory in which so many positions are equally in play with the round one pick. Of course, this is prior to free agency, which will sort some of it out.
Hopefully the Giants aren't thinking they have solved  
chick310 : 1/22/2021 2:03 pm : link
Left or Right Guard.

The Will Hernandez situation is really a body blow if he cannot turn his game around and get back onto that line as a starter. Lemieux has plenty to develop in pass blocking so expect more growing pains sophomore year. Zeitler's play is declining.

Absolutely could use another Guard/Center type in 2021.
RE: JonC  
Gatorade Dunk : 1/22/2021 2:39 pm : link
In comment 15130892 Milton said:
Quote:
It's also why OL in round one isn't out of the question despite the desperate need for playmakers on both offense and defense. Good thing about Gettleman is that he won't bow to public pressure to land a shiny new object in round one, he will draft strictly based on evaluation and grade. I can't recall a draft in recent memory in which so many positions are equally in play with the round one pick. Of course, this is prior to free agency, which will sort some of it out.

Really? DG is all about evaluation and grade?

It's a hell of a coincidence that he has - just like the Giants in general have, including Reese's tenure - somehow lucked into having the top guy on his board match the top need that nearly everyone predicted going into each draft.

Barkley was a notable exception, but even that one was broadly telegraphed by DG's adulation as the draft approached (and it wasn't like RB wasn't a significant need that year with Darkwa and Gallman as the incumbents). The Giants don't actually subscribe to BPA in the first round no matter how much they pay lip service to the idea.

They absolutely draft for need, which is largely why we've been cellar-dwellars for more than half a decade.
RE: JonC  
JonC : 1/22/2021 3:27 pm : link
In comment 15130892 Milton said:
Quote:
It's also why OL in round one isn't out of the question despite the desperate need for playmakers on both offense and defense. Good thing about Gettleman is that he won't bow to public pressure to land a shiny new object in round one, he will draft strictly based on evaluation and grade. I can't recall a draft in recent memory in which so many positions are equally in play with the round one pick. Of course, this is prior to free agency, which will sort some of it out.


Well ... I won't dive too deep into this again, but I think NYG did cave when they picked Jones at #6, based on what I'd heard leading up to draft night, and right up to the pick itself. I think panic he would be gone by #17 was part of the calculus that led to him being picked at #6. You could also argue they reached a little on Andrew Thomas, but it was a small reach.

I'd be surprised if they went OL at #11. Maybe the VT OT grades out, but right now I expect them to go WR, CB, or front seven and fill a big hole.
RE: RE: This team won six games and has to make choices to get under the cap  
Zeke's Alibi : 1/22/2021 5:24 pm : link
In comment 15130520 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
In comment 15130306 Ten Ton Hammer said:


Quote:


A bad expensive team is a management failure. I have no idea why there's an attempt to spin this.



Because we aren't an expensive team. Look at the projected cap health in the next few years. It is very good.

The better question is asking why there's spin making it sound like we are in a poor cap situation and acting like all teams aren't making multiple moves due to the cap every year.

Teams - both good and bad have several decisions to make every season on cuts and restructures. We are actually on the lower end of that this year - which is where a team that is young and rebuilding should be.

I really do think a lot of you would rather have the team $80M below the cap and trumpet it as good cap management.



The most annoying part is that we would have been in fine shape if COVID didn't happen. Half the leagues teams fans are in panic mode because they are going to have make some extremely difficult decisions.

What a year to have cap space though. Are Ernia Adams and Bill Belichik such geniuses that they saw COVID coming? Entirely possible.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner