for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

1986 NFC Divisional - 49ers vs. Giants: Happy Friday

Jints in Carolina : 2/19/2021 1:37 pm
Enjoy this spectacular beatdown made even better because at the time I was a 17 year old living in the SF Bay Area.

As always, Summerall and Madden on the call.

January 4, 1987
NFC Divisional Playoff
New York Giants vs. San Francisco 49ers






https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z-niWc7yUM - ( New Window )
aah the classics  
Victor in CT : 2/19/2021 1:52 pm : link
what a way to start the New Year.

over the 1985 WC game and this game, Giants mauled them by a combined 66-6.
It sure helps having players that are  
DonQuixote : 2/19/2021 2:08 pm : link
stronger than the opponents.
No one else ever laid a beating on the Montana-era Niners like that  
Greg from LI : 2/19/2021 3:04 pm : link
Let alone in the playoffs.
The Burt hit...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/19/2021 3:07 pm : link
Good Lord.
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/19/2021 3:10 pm : link
I have heard 49er fans go...'If Rice doesn't drop the ball, it's a different game.' Haha. I don't know who said it, but someone said about that, 'Yeah. The final would have been 49-10 instead of 49-3.
I was on my Honeymoon...  
BamaBlue : 2/19/2021 3:33 pm : link
at the Disneyland Hotel. That was the game that changed my Wife from a Cowboys fan to a lifetime Giants fan. What a wedding present!
RE: ...  
Victor in CT : 2/19/2021 3:34 pm : link
In comment 15157347 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
I have heard 49er fans go...'If Rice doesn't drop the ball, it's a different game.' Haha. I don't know who said it, but someone said about that, 'Yeah. The final would have been 49-10 instead of 49-3.


That was me. No way the Giants weren't going to kick the crap out of them that day.
"Montana is down. Taylor is in the end zone."  
Victor in CT : 2/19/2021 4:44 pm : link
Classic Summerall. No screaming or yelling.
RE: RE: ...  
Jints in Carolina : 2/19/2021 5:00 pm : link
In comment 15157365 Victor in CT said:
Quote:
In comment 15157347 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:


Quote:


I have heard 49er fans go...'If Rice doesn't drop the ball, it's a different game.' Haha. I don't know who said it, but someone said about that, 'Yeah. The final would have been 49-10 instead of 49-3.



That was me. No way the Giants weren't going to kick the crap out of them that day.


I think Bill Walsh said it
Great game by  
MarvelousMike : 2/19/2021 5:46 pm : link
BANKS!!!
.  
BNY Giants Club : 2/19/2021 5:53 pm : link
John: "looks like Lawrence Taylor was tackled."

Pat: "Good idea."
Jints.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/19/2021 6:12 pm : link
I think it was Walsh indeed. Thanks for this...my Friday night is now booked in the man cave, Haha.
49-3  
kdog77 : 2/19/2021 8:10 pm : link
I remember Jerry Rice fumbled a sure TD in the 1st quarter. He was asked after the game if it would have made a difference and he said something like "yeah it would have been 49-10". I also remember that it had snowed in Northern NJ the same week so I went sledding at half-time.
RE: Great game by  
mfsd : 2/19/2021 8:34 pm : link
In comment 15157429 MarvelousMike said:
Quote:
BANKS!!!


Yup, as great as LT was, that game was the beginning of an unbelievable playoff run by Banks. He was just dominant
Banks was UFB  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/19/2021 8:54 pm : link
in Super Bowl vs. Denver.
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/19/2021 9:00 pm : link
Just finished watching. What a rout. Giants-49ers have had met so many times in playoffs...love that we derailed their 3-peat in '90 & the '11 NFC Championship game...

We have reasonably cost them 2 titles.
I was sitting...  
GA5 : 2/19/2021 10:08 pm : link
in Sec. 331, Row 23, Seat 1. As LT used to say "It was a good old fashioned ass whipping!" Thanks for the memories!
Class ass whoppin' that one was  
Optimus-NY : 2/20/2021 8:53 am : link
Some people actually thought the Niners would win that game, lol.
Watching this on the heels of the Bavaro interview  
Matt M. : 2/20/2021 10:34 am : link
Was very interesting. He called the 49ers a bunch of pussies,especially on. Then Madden alluded to that on the broadcast, which I didn't recall, saying there was a big intimidation factor with these teams. I do t remember thinking that per se, but it was obvious nobody stuck it to the 49ers, win or lose, mike the Giants.
RE: I was sitting...  
mfsd : 2/20/2021 11:08 am : link
In comment 15157525 GA5 said:
Quote:
in Sec. 331, Row 23, Seat 1. As LT used to say "It was a good old fashioned ass whipping!" Thanks for the memories!


That’s awesome...looked like a very cold, windy day, perfect for Giants football. Always loved hearing Summerall and Madden comment in those years about how much Giants fans appreciate good defense
I also recall Montana hosting SNL  
Matt M. : 2/20/2021 1:26 pm : link
a week or 2 later, and a lot of jokes in the monologue about getting knocked out
jints...  
Brown_Hornet : 2/20/2021 1:27 pm : link
...thanks for posting.
my sophomore year at VCU.

GOOD DAMN TIMES!
Had 1 weird moment watching  
Matt M. : 2/20/2021 2:52 pm : link
First drive of 3rd quarter, Welch made a tackle on Craig on 3rd down to prevent a first and not a single player cam over to celebrate or congratulate him. He kind of did a fist pump to himself and trotted off by himself.
RE: Watching this on the heels of the Bavaro interview  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 2/20/2021 5:09 pm : link
In comment 15157644 Matt M. said:
Quote:
Was very interesting. He called the 49ers a bunch of pussies,especially on. Then Madden alluded to that on the broadcast, which I didn't recall, saying there was a big intimidation factor with these teams. I do t remember thinking that per se, but it was obvious nobody stuck it to the 49ers, win or lose, mike the Giants.


No doubt the 49ers stiffest competition in that era was us. We ended their season 3 times in the span of 5 seasons. The '90 49ers, in all likelihood, 3-peat if we don't beat them in the NFC title game.
Just focus on Carl banks  
djm : 2/21/2021 12:38 pm : link
A defensive player hasn’t dominated a game or postseason like banks did that January. Considering the career he had, should have made it to canton based on that run alone.
I was there....  
EricJ : 2/21/2021 3:10 pm : link
and IMO, the turning point was Rice's fumble in the first quarter. Yes we were a better team and likely still would have won if he scored on that play... but that was a killer for them.
RE: I was there....  
Optimus-NY : 3/1/2021 6:36 am : link
In comment 15158235 EricJ said:
Quote:
and IMO, the turning point was Rice's fumble in the first quarter. Yes we were a better team and likely still would have won if he scored on that play... but that was a killer for them.


It would have been 49-10.
Back to the Corner