for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Schwartz: How Giants can solve their glaring needs

Eric from BBI : Admin : 2/22/2021 9:45 am
FYI...


How Giants can solve their glaring needs this offseason - ( New Window )
This article from Schwartz reads like he developed it  
chick310 : 2/22/2021 10:37 am : link
from reading a lot of the major thread/themes discussed lately on your site Eric Kennedy.
Sure does  
JonC : 2/22/2021 10:40 am : link
example targets included.
If you want a parallel...  
mittenedman : 2/22/2021 10:41 am : link
this is 2004 heading into 2005.

Not a perfect comparison, but you've got a young QB and a new, taskmaster coach replacing a Country Club guy. Results throughout the year punctuated by a solid week 17 win over DAL.

Then the 2005 monster offseason hit - supplementing the 04 team with the championship pieces it needed. Plax, McK & Pierce.

The Giants need another offseason like that. And interestingly - they need a #1 WR and a RT again. On D - it's a pass rusher. Get those 3 pieces and this is a Playoff team that will continue on the upswing.
It's amazing how bad the Giants offense is...  
sb from NYT Forum : 2/22/2021 10:46 am : link
...when considering that they used their first overall pick on offense since 2017. And in 8 of the last 9 drafts.
I think they are going to roll the dice on Corey Davis  
Ben in Tampa : 2/22/2021 10:58 am : link
Which should trigger some pretty memorable meltdowns here

RE: This article from Schwartz reads like he developed it  
Biteymax22 : 2/22/2021 11:01 am : link
In comment 15158525 chick310 said:
Quote:
from reading a lot of the major thread/themes discussed lately on your site Eric Kennedy.


Some of the beat reporters read the board to keep up with fan opinions. I know in the past quite a few have actually posted as well.
I don't see how they spend big money on offense  
Ten Ton Hammer : 2/22/2021 11:31 am : link
With all the players they should be trying to keep on defense.

I think they pick from second tier free agents, lean on Saquon coming back healthy (lol) and maybe draft a WR.
RE: RE: This article from Schwartz reads like he developed it  
chick310 : 2/22/2021 11:32 am : link
In comment 15158559 Biteymax22 said:
Quote:
In comment 15158525 chick310 said:


Quote:


from reading a lot of the major thread/themes discussed lately on your site Eric Kennedy.



Some of the beat reporters read the board to keep up with fan opinions. I know in the past quite a few have actually posted as well.


Yes, I realize that. It's not out of the question Mr. Schwartz's outline was drafted from him reading on here over the past two weeks.
I don't get the fascination with Curtis Samuel  
Dnew15 : 2/22/2021 12:37 pm : link
on this Giants team - he seems like a gadget/utility knife type guy that's not going to be cheap.

These guys come out in the draft every year - can't the Giants just find this guy in the draft this year?

Also, wouldn't you need to have an offensive play caller/design guy that can/would be creative enough to find a guy like Samuel useful?

He seems like a waste of FA dollars at this point for this team with this offense.
Nothing could be Fina than to look to Carolina ...  
RetroJint : 2/22/2021 1:07 pm : link
Agree with Paul’s instincts , here . It’s Mister G’s MO to seek solutions from his old team . Samuel is probably going to be the best athlete available in this year’s UFA class . And , although I think both Ohio St and Carolina had trouble fully utilizing him, his production last season is impressive . And , unlike Davis of the Titans , he didn’t operate in a high-powered offense . Teddy B is a journeymen . McCaffrey was hurt most of the season . This would kind of make sense but ...

Schwartz also alludes to the concept of what I call “wack a mole.” First priority is to leave intact the strength of the team . That would be the DLine . But gains at Edge or WR would be wheels spinning in place if Gettleman were to fan on Leo , which I am positive he will do .

Not signing the 26-year old Williams exposes the ruse that the Giants are getting better . They were a 200 team outside the division last season . As far as Tomlinson , he was made a team captain at 25. He’s been a rock . Johnson and Hill might look seductively impressive playing part-time , wave but Tomlinson is there for you every week .

So here is my gig . Keep the Defense intact . Make sure you upgrade WR through the draft . Hope that the young players on both sides of the ball mature . And if Gettleman doesn’t get Williams done , fire him . Then the prophecy of DeAngelo Williams will be validated .
RE: I don't get the fascination with Curtis Samuel  
Tom in NY : 2/22/2021 1:19 pm : link
In comment 15158663 Dnew15 said:
Quote:
on this Giants team - he seems like a gadget/utility knife type guy that's not going to be cheap.

These guys come out in the draft every year - can't the Giants just find this guy in the draft this year?

Also, wouldn't you need to have an offensive play caller/design guy that can/would be creative enough to find a guy like Samuel useful?

He seems like a waste of FA dollars at this point for this team with this offense.


I'm in full agreement with you on this. He's a great player to have on your team IF: A. You drafted him and he's on his rookie contract, and B. You have your two outside receivers & TE already set. The Giants do not meet either criteria.
The Giants are in need of a tall/fast X receiver...Golladay would be a great fit, Davis a fallback option. If the Giants can sign either, it would really open up the #11 pick to BPA....something the Giants should aggressively be attempting to gain.
RE: RE: I don't get the fascination with Curtis Samuel  
eric2425ny : 2/22/2021 1:36 pm : link
In comment 15158704 Tom in NY said:
Quote:
In comment 15158663 Dnew15 said:


Quote:


on this Giants team - he seems like a gadget/utility knife type guy that's not going to be cheap.

These guys come out in the draft every year - can't the Giants just find this guy in the draft this year?

Also, wouldn't you need to have an offensive play caller/design guy that can/would be creative enough to find a guy like Samuel useful?

He seems like a waste of FA dollars at this point for this team with this offense.



I'm in full agreement with you on this. He's a great player to have on your team IF: A. You drafted him and he's on his rookie contract, and B. You have your two outside receivers & TE already set. The Giants do not meet either criteria.
The Giants are in need of a tall/fast X receiver...Golladay would be a great fit, Davis a fallback option. If the Giants can sign either, it would really open up the #11 pick to BPA....something the Giants should aggressively be attempting to gain.


Spot on here, totally agree.
RE: I think they are going to roll the dice on Corey Davis  
cactus : 2/22/2021 2:20 pm : link
In comment 15158551 Ben in Tampa said:
Quote:
Which should trigger some pretty memorable meltdowns here


I'm all for Davis and his teammate Jonnu Smith. Both ready to break out and won't cost as much as guys like Robinson.
with the success  
Rory : 2/22/2021 2:36 pm : link
of rookie WR's the last few years I would love to see Tyke Tolbert get a chance with some top level rookie talent.

That said a FA WR like Curtis Samuel would be a great complimentary piece

We are going to need more then 1 acquisition, especially if we move Engram.
There have been a lot of opinions on this site  
BobR in Durham : 2/22/2021 2:53 pm : link
about signing LW and DT, whether or not Dave G should sign one or the other. What happens if both of them sign with other teams? How screwed are we then if one of the few strengths of the team vanishes because we get outbid twice?
I think Samuel gets undervalued  
ryanmkeane : 2/22/2021 4:30 pm : link
here, he is good. And will cost a lot less than the big names.
signing someone like Samuel  
ryanmkeane : 2/22/2021 4:31 pm : link
would be a perfect compliment if we draft Pitts.

If we go with Smith or Waddle, Samuel doesn't make much sense.
LW  
Dragon : 2/22/2021 4:35 pm : link
Is not a 20 mil a year player in today’s market he may seem to be but he just does not have those kinds of tools don’t believe the hype look at the player. Most want to invest in the defense but they have no must resign players those type of athletes or players are not on this team. On offense where hoping and praying SB is 70 percent the player he was prior to his injury that’s a lot of time on your knees. Can DJ get the ball to an 80 percent new receiving group, EE made the pro bowl can’t even begin to understand or explain that one, nows the time to move on he’s got even more hype than LW who will be an even worse than Solder signing.

You need two WR’s, a TE, an OG/OT as priority draft picks UDFA don’t bring anyone who needs time to develop they need young players for today team wide. Our offense has to be the strength of this team going forward you can’t win many games scoring less than 20 points a game we just proved that. Yes defense is great but fans come expecting to see their team score points.
RE: I don't see how they spend big money on offense  
Toth029 : 2/22/2021 5:29 pm : link
In comment 15158593 Ten Ton Hammer said:
[quote] With all the players they should be trying to keep on defense.

I think they pick from second tier free agents, lean on Saquon coming back healthy (lol) and maybe draft a WR. [/quote
Second tier FA's is fine.

Also only Leo and Tomlinson are the only FA on defense who are worth discussing. Although I wouldn't hate re-signing Fackrell. I don't feel Carl Lawson will command $12M per.

I'd re-sign Leo and let Tomlinson go. I know they may want to keep him, but with the cap down, it hurts his chances to staying while wanting a lot of coin that a non-pass rusher will want.
RE: RE: I don't see how they spend big money on offense  
Angel Eyes : 2/22/2021 5:30 pm : link
In comment 15158941 Toth029 said:
Quote:
In comment 15158593 Ten Ton Hammer said:
[quote] With all the players they should be trying to keep on defense.

I think they pick from second tier free agents, lean on Saquon coming back healthy (lol) and maybe draft a WR. [/quote
Second tier FA's is fine.

Also only Leo and Tomlinson are the only FA on defense who are worth discussing. Although I wouldn't hate re-signing Fackrell. I don't feel Carl Lawson will command $12M per.

I'd re-sign Leo and let Tomlinson go. I know they may want to keep him, but with the cap down, it hurts his chances to staying while wanting a lot of coin that a non-pass rusher will want.


I'm not sure about Fackrell. Four sacks isn't enough to warrant a keep.
RE: RE: RE: I don't see how they spend big money on offense  
Angel Eyes : 2/22/2021 5:31 pm : link
In comment 15158944 Angel Eyes said:
Quote:
In comment 15158941 Toth029 said:


Quote:


In comment 15158593 Ten Ton Hammer said:
[quote] With all the players they should be trying to keep on defense.

I think they pick from second tier free agents, lean on Saquon coming back healthy (lol) and maybe draft a WR. [/quote
Second tier FA's is fine.

Also only Leo and Tomlinson are the only FA on defense who are worth discussing. Although I wouldn't hate re-signing Fackrell. I don't feel Carl Lawson will command $12M per.

I'd re-sign Leo and let Tomlinson go. I know they may want to keep him, but with the cap down, it hurts his chances to staying while wanting a lot of coin that a non-pass rusher will want.



I'm not sure about Fackrell. Four sacks isn't enough to warrant a keep, particularly for an edge guy.
RE: RE: I don't get the fascination with Curtis Samuel  
WillVAB : 2/22/2021 9:15 pm : link
In comment 15158704 Tom in NY said:
Quote:
In comment 15158663 Dnew15 said:


Quote:


on this Giants team - he seems like a gadget/utility knife type guy that's not going to be cheap.

These guys come out in the draft every year - can't the Giants just find this guy in the draft this year?

Also, wouldn't you need to have an offensive play caller/design guy that can/would be creative enough to find a guy like Samuel useful?

He seems like a waste of FA dollars at this point for this team with this offense.



I'm in full agreement with you on this. He's a great player to have on your team IF: A. You drafted him and he's on his rookie contract, and B. You have your two outside receivers & TE already set. The Giants do not meet either criteria.
The Giants are in need of a tall/fast X receiver...Golladay would be a great fit, Davis a fallback option. If the Giants can sign either, it would really open up the #11 pick to BPA....something the Giants should aggressively be attempting to gain.


Golladay is a faux WR1 who has had injuries and Davis has been a massive disappointment almost his entire career. Neither would be hitting FA if they were truly the WR1 the Giants need.

This FA WR class is fool’s gold. You’re not going to get the guy you’re paying for. The better option and value is to look to the draft for a position that is quickly becoming commoditized like the RB position.
RE: There have been a lot of opinions on this site  
mittenedman : 2/23/2021 7:41 am : link
In comment 15158770 BobR in Durham said:
Quote:
about signing LW and DT, whether or not Dave G should sign one or the other. What happens if both of them sign with other teams? How screwed are we then if one of the few strengths of the team vanishes because we get outbid twice?


BobR - certainly an interesting and realistic possibility to consider, and 1 I'm sure the Giants have discussed internally. That's another symptom of being a bad team - the few units you have that perform well are riding high, and come back to Earth due to the business side. The Giants had a good - not great - D last year and now they will have to back up the BRINKS truck just to keep status quo (which means you got worse).

If the Giants lose both Williams & Tomlinson walk, I'd assume they'd move Lawrence to NT, put B.J. Hill in the starting lineup and maybe sign a Kawann Short on the cheap. And the funny thing is - that may still be a good DLine. I'd imagine they'd also look for another DL in the draft. Coach Spencer seemed to have everyone playing up to their abilities last year and probably not a coincidence LW had a career year.

The good news is - the $$$ not spend on LW can be directed at a #1 WR, a starting RT, an elite ER &/or a CB opposite Bradberry.
Reinforce our strength...  
trueblueinpw : 2/23/2021 8:26 am : link
I’m all about BPA at 11, or trading down for more picks. But with that as general guidance I would make sure we reinforce our team strength and that’s the defense. I know the offense is pathetic and lacks playmakers. But our defense could be even more fierce with a CB2 and especially someone to get after the QB from outside. Find a way to keep LW and DT, get an edge and a CB and then focus on finding a WR in a draft that’s deep with WR.

If Barkley can be the player the Giants thought he would be then getting him back on the field should solve a lot of problems. You can say the same thing about the Giants other top picks on offense - if AT is a legit LT1 (I believe he is) then why wouldn't DJ be a much improved QB1 with AT in his second year and Barks back in the saddle? If the Giants top draft choices on offense can achieve their promise then the offense will be much better this coming season. If those three Getty picks aren’t legit (and you can throw in EE too even though Getty didn’t draft him) then there’s no series of FA moves and draft picks in this off season that will make up for that lost ground. We need some new pieces, yes, but we need much more production from the pieces we already have and that’s mostly on Jones and Barkley.
RE: RE: There have been a lot of opinions on this site  
Ten Ton Hammer : 2/23/2021 8:27 am : link
In comment 15159179 mittenedman said:
Quote:
In comment 15158770 BobR in Durham said:


Quote:
The Giants had a good - not great - D last year and now they will have to back up the BRINKS truck just to keep status quo (which means you got worse).



This is what I've been saying for months.
Back to the Corner