for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Is there a better sitcom character?

SFGFNCGiantsFan : 4/15/2021 7:12 pm
The 0:54 mark 'Because I'm sick' has me howling.

'But I'm disturbed. I'm depressed. I'm inadequate. I got it all!'
Link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
Opened this thinking  
j_rud : 4/15/2021 7:16 pm : link
"If this is anyone other than George Constanza Im going to war"
Ha ha  
eric2425ny : 4/15/2021 7:17 pm : link
“You’re killing independent George!”
Georgie is definitely up there  
Greg from LI : 4/15/2021 7:27 pm : link
I'd put David Brent and Gob Bluth up there too
I don't know if George is 1A or 1B  
Bear vs Shark : 4/15/2021 7:28 pm : link
but whichever he is, the other spot goes to Charlie Kelly from Always Sunny.

Always Sunny is the only sitcom I think is better than Seinfeld (maybe Curb? but they are sort of a package deal). And I LOVE Seinfeld.
RE: Opened this thinking  
Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy : 4/15/2021 7:28 pm : link
In comment 15222343 j_rud said:
Quote:
"If this is anyone other than George Constanza Im going to war"


George is iconic, but Frank Costanza might be my favorite character on that show.
The only other character close is  
Big Al : 4/15/2021 7:34 pm : link
Jim Ignatowski. Louie DePalma is also top five. No I am not that big a Taxi fan other than those two characters.
Not sure if it counts  
Bricktop : 4/15/2021 7:36 pm : link
But Homer Simpson was Fucking hilarious.
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 4/15/2021 7:39 pm : link
Estelle: So, I'm getting an eye job.

George: An eye job? Ma, you don't need an eye job.

Estelle: Georgie, I'm a divorcee.

George: No, you're not a divorcee. You're just separated. You're---you're a separatee.

Estelle: Well, I'm out there, George.

George: No, you're not out there.

Estelle: I am, too!

George: You're not out there! You can't be, because *I* am out there. And, if I see *you* out there, there's not enough voltage in this world to, electroshock me back into coherence!
Link - ( New Window )
Felix  
Gmanfandan : 4/15/2021 7:39 pm : link
Unger - Look it up youngsters
Does Randy Marsh count?  
LeonBright45 : 4/15/2021 7:39 pm : link
He is my favorite
Archie Bunker  
Professor Falken : 4/15/2021 7:40 pm : link
GOAT
RE: RE: Opened this thinking  
eric2425ny : 4/15/2021 7:45 pm : link
In comment 15222367 Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy said:
Quote:
In comment 15222343 j_rud said:


Quote:


"If this is anyone other than George Constanza Im going to war"



George is iconic, but Frank Costanza might be my favorite character on that show.


Good call. The one where he was explaining the bra cup sizes to George was hilarious
George Costanza and Elaine Benes  
Bobby Humphrey's Earpad : 4/15/2021 7:46 pm : link
Is Black Adder a sitcom? No idea but Rowan Atkinson was ruthless.
RE: RE: RE: Opened this thinking  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 4/15/2021 7:53 pm : link
In comment 15222395 eric2425ny said:
Quote:
In comment 15222367 Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy said:


Quote:


In comment 15222343 j_rud said:


Quote:


"If this is anyone other than George Constanza Im going to war"



George is iconic, but Frank Costanza might be my favorite character on that show.



Good call. The one where he was explaining the bra cup sizes to George was hilarious


'WHAT THE HELL DID YOU TRADE JAY BUHNER FOR?'
No one better  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2021 7:59 pm : link
George is the best.

And IMO Jerry Stiller was better as Arthur Spooner than Frank Costanza.

the only sitcom characters IMO that are close to George Costanza are:

Ron Swanson (Parks and rec)
Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman from Newsradio)
It's so funny that you can just hear Larry David voice  
sb from NYT Forum : 4/15/2021 8:02 pm : link
...in every single George line.
Who can top Art Carney  
KeoweeFan : 4/15/2021 8:04 pm : link
in the Jackie Gleason "Honeymooners" cast?

or how 'bout Bruce Willis backing up Cybill Shepherd in "Moonlighting"? (BTW, what ever happened to him?)
Ted Baxter is in the conversation.  
Beezer : 4/15/2021 8:15 pm : link

Archie was mentioned. George Jefferson was pretty great.

In a different way, you’ve got your pick from MASH or WKRP.

Costanza is great. Don’t think you can put one of these characters on the top spot.

Because that, my friends? Belongs to Lucille Ball.
RE: It's so funny that you can just hear Larry David voice  
Beezer : 4/15/2021 8:17 pm : link
In comment 15222416 sb from NYT Forum said:
Quote:
...in every single George line.


Working my way through Curb Your Enthusiasm. It’s the same in reverse. You hear George in much of David’s stuff.
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 4/15/2021 8:22 pm : link
I loved Norm in 'Cheers' too. So many great one liners.
Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince  
Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy : 4/15/2021 8:25 pm : link
deserves some love. He was an amazing actor who had a combination of both classic serious and funny moments. One of the best TV dads ever.
no  
Producer : 4/15/2021 8:27 pm : link
there's no better character in tv sitcom history than George Costanza.
Honey?!...  
BamaBlue : 4/15/2021 8:27 pm : link
Wake up. You won't believe the dream I had.

Bob Newhart... a man a comedy legend.
Bob Newhart - ( New Window )
RE: Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 4/15/2021 8:33 pm : link
In comment 15222445 Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy said:
Quote:
deserves some love. He was an amazing actor who had a combination of both classic serious and funny moments. One of the best TV dads ever.


That scene where Will's old man leaves...that was 'I'm chopping onions' moment for me.
RE: Opened this thinking  
Mike from SI : 4/15/2021 8:33 pm : link
In comment 15222343 j_rud said:
Quote:
"If this is anyone other than George Constanza Im going to war"


Same.
Fun fact about frank costanza  
oghwga : 4/15/2021 8:35 pm : link
He was originally written as quiet and whipped by his wife. He asked if he could try a different take and maybe yell back at her and the rest is history.
Man the algorithm  
Mark from Jersey : 4/15/2021 8:35 pm : link
is strong on YouTube. Check out what was just recommended
A few scenes earlier... - ( New Window )
Ted Baxter  
SomeFan : 4/15/2021 8:37 pm : link
Frank Burns have to be top 10
Wow  
BigBlueShock : 4/15/2021 8:39 pm : link
This thread is as close to unanimous as any thread in the history of BBI
I'm with Big Al  
River Mike : 4/15/2021 8:40 pm : link
on this ..... Jim Ignatowski. Louie DePalma! Although Costanza would definitely round out the top 3.
RE: No one better  
Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy : 4/15/2021 8:44 pm : link
In comment 15222411 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
George is the best.

And IMO Jerry Stiller was better as Arthur Spooner than Frank Costanza.

the only sitcom characters IMO that are close to George Costanza are:

Ron Swanson (Parks and rec)
Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman from Newsradio)


I just think Jerry Stiller was awesome, he was great it both shows. Feels like he had a bigger role in King of Queens but it's hard to top his interactions on Seinfeld with George, Kramer, and his wife.
It's hard to top George Costanza, but......  
RickJames : 4/15/2021 8:46 pm : link
Al Bundy comes close.

Not nearly as mainstream, Rafi from the league is one of the funniest characters of more recent times.
George couldn't carry Archie Bunker's jock let's get real here  
gtt350 : 4/15/2021 8:47 pm : link
.
RE: RE: Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince  
Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy : 4/15/2021 8:48 pm : link
In comment 15222454 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
In comment 15222445 Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy said:


Quote:


deserves some love. He was an amazing actor who had a combination of both classic serious and funny moments. One of the best TV dads ever.



That scene where Will's old man leaves...that was 'I'm chopping onions' moment for me.


Yep, that was classic. There's also the scene where he goes to the police station to pick up Will and Carlton, another classic.

But then he balances those scenes with hilarious moments. RIP James Avery.
I know Im a little younger than most  
chopperhatch : 4/15/2021 8:50 pm : link
and Seinfeld was in my wheelhouse, but Ari Gold was always my favorite sitcom character. Not sure it qualifies because of vulgarity. But Ari was fucking great
Best temper loser ever - ( New Window )
No Red Foreman  
Mark from Jersey : 4/15/2021 8:52 pm : link
fans? Im going to put my foot up all your asses! haha
RE: RE: RE: RE: Opened this thinking  
eric2425ny : 4/15/2021 8:54 pm : link
In comment 15222407 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
In comment 15222395 eric2425ny said:


Quote:


In comment 15222367 Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy said:


Quote:


In comment 15222343 j_rud said:


Quote:


"If this is anyone other than George Constanza Im going to war"



George is iconic, but Frank Costanza might be my favorite character on that show.



Good call. The one where he was explaining the bra cup sizes to George was hilarious



'WHAT THE HELL DID YOU TRADE JAY BUHNER FOR?'


Lol, classic. Or the one where George said he heard a mouse in the attic. Frank: “That’s it, we’re moving. I will not tolerate infestation!”
Remember, Jerry...  
Producer : 4/15/2021 8:56 pm : link
it's not a lie, if you believe it..
It’s George but Frank is great  
glowrider : 4/15/2021 8:59 pm : link
Quote:
This is Frank Costanza. You think you can keep us out of Florida? We're moving in lock, stock and barrel. We're gonna be in the pool. We're gonna be in the clubhouse. We're gonna be all over that shuffleboard court. And I dare you to keep me out!


Or

Quote:
I worked out with a dumbbell yesterday. I feel vigorous.
Great character  
Bigislandfan : 4/15/2021 9:01 pm : link
Sweringer (sp) from Deadwood. Fuck yeah
RE: Great character  
chopperhatch : 4/15/2021 9:03 pm : link
In comment 15222487 Bigislandfan said:
Quote:
Sweringer (sp) from Deadwood. Fuck yeah


I love the character, but Deadwood was not the same category of show. Entourage was at least largely a comedy.
RE: RE: No one better  
pjcas18 : 4/15/2021 9:05 pm : link
In comment 15222469 Osi Osi Osi OyOyOy said:
Quote:
In comment 15222411 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


George is the best.

And IMO Jerry Stiller was better as Arthur Spooner than Frank Costanza.

the only sitcom characters IMO that are close to George Costanza are:

Ron Swanson (Parks and rec)
Bill McNeal (Phil Hartman from Newsradio)



I just think Jerry Stiller was awesome, he was great it both shows. Feels like he had a bigger role in King of Queens but it's hard to top his interactions on Seinfeld with George, Kramer, and his wife.


I thought so too, but I didn't watch King of Queens when it was on, so I catch it now in syndication and Arthur Spooner makes the whole show, he's hilarious and IMO more funny than Frank Costanza who is is great,but very one dimensional

just my opinion, probably splitting hairs
Frank Costanza  
Mark from Jersey : 4/15/2021 9:08 pm : link
You want a piece of me?
Blooper reel link  
Mark from Jersey : 4/15/2021 9:11 pm : link
to you want a piece of me...classic
Link - ( New Window )
Jim  
Matt M. : 4/15/2021 9:13 pm : link
from Taxi.
Latka from Taxi was a hoot and way better than George  
gtt350 : 4/15/2021 9:40 pm : link
a dibby dibby dah
TOP 3:  
Anakim : 4/15/2021 9:44 pm : link
George Costanza
Al Bundy
ZACK MORRIS


Don't even start!
.  
smshmth8690 : 4/15/2021 9:45 pm : link
Archie Bunker  
Pete in MD : 4/15/2021 9:50 pm : link
was so ahead of his time because of the many people didn't get the parody of an old racist white guy.

I always loved Cliff, Norm, and Woody on Cheers.

Pete everyone got the parody  
gtt350 : 4/15/2021 9:57 pm : link
that's why the show was huge groundbreaking success
Pages: 1 2 | Show All |  Next>>
Back to the Corner