for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: Most Underrated Movie You’ve Ever Seen

Daniel in Kentucky : 6/4/2021 2:04 pm
John Milius in is best achievement as a director.
Oliver Stone co-writing one of the most brilliant scripts.
The truly amazing score by Basil Poledouris which originally was supposed to be an 80s rock compilation.
The casting of James Earl Jones as Thulsa Doom, Max von Sydow as King Osric, and the then unknown Arnold Schwarzenegger .

In my opinion the most underrated movie of all time - Conan the Barbarian.

Any suggestions for your most underrated movie as a composition; and in that I mean production, directing, writing, score, casting, acting, etc...

Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
The Devil's Advocate.  
Ron from Ninerland : 6/5/2021 2:06 pm : link
Al Pacino ( as the Devil ) Keannu Reeves and Charlize Theron in one of her first movies.
RE: I have a few:  
81_Great_Dane : 6/5/2021 4:33 pm : link
In comment 15280328 Giantophile said:
Quote:

-Hell or High Water

Agree 100%: Underrated. There's a lot going on in that film.
Jackie Brown  
Ira : 6/5/2021 5:25 pm : link
.
RE: Jackie Brown  
shockeyisthebest8056 : 6/5/2021 5:27 pm : link
In comment 15280560 Ira said:
Quote:
.


We have a winner.
If you like movies with a supernatural element  
Bill in Del : 6/5/2021 6:00 pm : link
White Noise with Michael Keaton
Firefly with Kevin Costner

I thought these were not only underrated but kind of flew under the radar, at least for me they did.
RE: If you like movies with a supernatural element  
montanagiant : 6/5/2021 7:03 pm : link
In comment 15280568 Bill in Del said:
Quote:
White Noise with Michael Keaton
Firefly with Kevin Costner

I thought these were not only underrated but kind of flew under the radar, at least for me they did.

Wasn't the movie for Firefly called Serenity?
RE: RE: If you like movies with a supernatural element  
Bill in Del : 6/5/2021 7:48 pm : link
In comment 15280591 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 15280568 Bill in Del said:


Quote:


White Noise with Michael Keaton
Firefly with Kevin Costner

I thought these were not only underrated but kind of flew under the radar, at least for me they did.


Wasn't the movie for Firefly called Serenity?



Actually we're both wrong...It was Dragonfly.
Not underrated but  
Route 9 : 6/5/2021 7:54 pm : link
Friday with Ice Cube and Chris Tucker should be recognized as a top 10 film.
RE: High fidelity?  
santacruzom : 6/5/2021 10:38 pm : link
In comment 15280226 mattlawson said:
Quote:
Does that count?


You know what's nuts? That move is now over 20 years old!
RE: ......  
santacruzom : 6/5/2021 10:42 pm : link
In comment 15280329 Route 9 said:
Quote:
The Guest


Loved that movie. Dan Stevens was so perfectly cast and its soundtrack kicked ass.
Came here to say Layer Cake and Road to Perdition  
j_rud : 6/6/2021 9:51 am : link
but I see thats already been handled. Good on ya BBI.
RE: RE: ......  
j_rud : 6/6/2021 9:53 am : link
In comment 15280707 santacruzom said:
Quote:
In comment 15280329 Route 9 said:


Quote:


The Guest



Loved that movie. Dan Stevens was so perfectly cast and its soundtrack kicked ass.


Sorta related but I think Stevens is really underrated. The Guest, Apostle, his performance on Legion. Love that guy.
Lemme add The Believer with Ryan Gosling  
j_rud : 6/6/2021 9:54 am : link
One of his best performances and its so overlooked.
RE: RE: My Cousin Vinny is criminally underrated despite its local popularity  
glowrider : 6/6/2021 12:59 pm : link
In comment 15280426 Jim in Forest Hills said:
Quote:
In comment 15280397 glowrider said:


Quote:


And awards. It is a top 5 comedy of all time in my book. Along with Shawshank, I’ll pick it up anywhere and be happy.

Munich
V for Vendetta
Alpha Dog
In Bruges (though maybe this is cultish)
The Kingdom
Syriana
The Peacemaker



Peacemaker I really enjoyed. But it was weird as I really enjoyed Clooney's characters miltary skills, it almost made me root against the US military.


This casting along with the Oceans movies, imo, are peak Clooney. Right role, right style, right charisma. And any movie he refers to geographic areas by vague descriptions makes me laugh (Eastern United States, etc.).

That said, I thought Michael Clayton was a very interesting and different movie of his. Cant watch it many times, but not bad.



Air Force One with Harrison Ford was also a terrific action movie made in a period of great action movies.

Not sure if mentioned but American Gangster with Denzel and Russell Crowe was another underrated gem.
I think  
santacruzom : 6/6/2021 3:31 pm : link
License to Kill and The Living Daylights were underrated Bond films, and Timothy Dalton was an underrated Bond.
RE: RE: RE: My Cousin Vinny is criminally underrated despite its local popularity  
Bill in Del : 6/6/2021 4:25 pm : link
In comment 15280919 glowrider said:
Quote:
In comment 15280426 Jim in Forest Hills said:


Quote:


In comment 15280397 glowrider said:


Quote:


And awards. It is a top 5 comedy of all time in my book. Along with Shawshank, I’ll pick it up anywhere and be happy.

Munich
V for Vendetta
Alpha Dog
In Bruges (though maybe this is cultish)
The Kingdom
Syriana
The Peacemaker



Peacemaker I really enjoyed. But it was weird as I really enjoyed Clooney's characters miltary skills, it almost made me root against the US military.



This casting along with the Oceans movies, imo, are peak Clooney. Right role, right style, right charisma. And any movie he refers to geographic areas by vague descriptions makes me laugh (Eastern United States, etc.).

That said, I thought Michael Clayton was a very interesting and different movie of his. Cant watch it many times, but not bad.



"The American" comes to mind as a very different role for Clooney. Great Movie and maybe not underated, but not the first one you think of when you think of his movies.
Saw the Sorcerer on today because of this thread  
Daniel in Kentucky : 6/6/2021 8:59 pm : link
In a word “horrible”. It epitomizes the overwhelming depression of 70s cinema. IMHO
Big Trouble in Little China  
jpkmets : 6/6/2021 9:48 pm : link
Excalibur
The Replacements


All Kings of rewatchablility.
Wild Geese  
jpkmets : 6/6/2021 9:49 pm : link
And streets of fire are great calls.
Since the USMNT is playing tonight  
Bricktop : 6/6/2021 9:50 pm : link
and playing poorly.

I'll add Victory to the list.

Sylvester Stallone. Pele. Max Von Sydow. I'm mean, what a cast! Sorry, but I love that movie no matter how ridiculous.
RE: Since the USMNT is playing tonight  
jpkmets : 6/6/2021 9:53 pm : link
In comment 15281198 Bricktop said:
Quote:
and playing poorly.

I'll add Victory to the list.

Sylvester Stallone. Pele. Max Von Sydow. I'm mean, what a cast! Sorry, but I love that movie no matter how ridiculous.


Victory is great

Gallipoli is from around that time and I never hear it mentioned anymore
Suicide Kings  
TXRabbit : 6/6/2021 10:49 pm : link
Great Denis Leary character and Walken.......nuff said.

Another one that's currently playing but I'm sure would fall into this category is Guy Ritchie's WRATH OF MAN. I saw this a few nights ago and thought it quite amazing. Statham in a quiet, dramatic role and not all fists.

Check it out
RE: RE: Since the USMNT is playing tonight  
Bricktop : 6/6/2021 10:53 pm : link
In comment 15281201 jpkmets said:
Quote:
In comment 15281198 Bricktop said:


Quote:


and playing poorly.

I'll add Victory to the list.

Sylvester Stallone. Pele. Max Von Sydow. I'm mean, what a cast! Sorry, but I love that movie no matter how ridiculous.



Victory is great

Gallipoli is from around that time and I never hear it mentioned anymore


Great call on Gallipoli.
RE: The Girl Next Door  
AnthonyM : 6/6/2021 11:48 pm : link
In comment 15279976 Jints in Carolina said:
Quote:
and I am being serious....fucking loved this movie.


Movie has one of my favorite quotes "Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze"

Also agree with True Romance, Conan, Out of Sight, and Grosse Pointe Blank.
RE: Big Trouble in Little China  
Route 9 : 6/7/2021 12:14 am : link
In comment 15281195 jpkmets said:
Quote:
Excalibur
The Replacements


All Kings of rewatchablility.


I watch the Replacements movie every other year or so. Just find funny that what seems like a throwaway movie back then is considered a masterpiece compared to what's out today. What is even good these days? Every movie they feature these days, I can't pay attention to the commercial because it looks boring or the acting is weird lol
Another one  
montanagiant : 6/8/2021 1:04 am : link
Mystic River
RE: Another one  
Route 9 : 6/8/2021 8:09 am : link
In comment 15282034 montanagiant said:
Quote:
Mystic River


That was a one watcher for me.
Kind of similar to previous post but another underrated movie  
glowrider : 6/8/2021 10:17 am : link
That happened to have Clooney in it was, “Three Kings,” also starring Mark Wahlberg and Ice Cube. Again, more of Clooney in his element and I really enjoyed the plot and action. I think what I have noticed with GC is this faux sophistication in movies he starred in after Oceans when he seemed to be competing film for film (and losing to) Brad Pitt. Just a lot of garbage on the resume IMO.

Speaking of, “Burn After Reading,” was a quirky, but enjoyable movie.
RE: The Girl Next Door  
ShocknAwe80 : 6/8/2021 11:54 am : link
In comment 15279976 Jints in Carolina said:
Quote:
and I am being serious....fucking loved this movie.


Absolutely fantastic movie! The juice is definitely worth the squeeze...
Iron Man  
ShocknAwe80 : 6/8/2021 11:58 am : link
I know it's highly rated on RT and such, but I just recently rewatched with my son. Take the superhero aspect away and it's STILL a fantastic movie. Real shame that RDJ wasn't nominated. I don't think it gets enough respect as a movie.
RE: Iron Man  
Route 9 : 6/8/2021 6:21 pm : link
In comment 15282408 ShocknAwe80 said:
Quote:
I know it's highly rated on RT and such, but I just recently rewatched with my son. Take the superhero aspect away and it's STILL a fantastic movie. Real shame that RDJ wasn't nominated. I don't think it gets enough respect as a movie.


You ever see Zodiac with Robert Downey Jr in it? It came out right before Iron Man and he's so awesome in it. That movie is dialogue porn for me.
RE: Another one  
UConn4523 : 6/8/2021 6:22 pm : link
In comment 15282034 montanagiant said:
Quote:
Mystic River


It won multiple academy awards, underrated?
How about A Perfect World  
mort christenson : 6/9/2021 12:26 am : link
with Costner and Eastwood?
......  
Route 9 : 6/9/2021 4:27 am : link
Breakdown (1997 film)
saw it a long time ago but -  
bc4life : 6/9/2021 3:58 pm : link
Frankie Starlight

The Projectionist
also one of the creepiest  
bc4life : 6/9/2021 4:00 pm : link
The Snowtown Murders
RE: How about A Perfect World  
Grey Pilgrim : 6/9/2021 4:08 pm : link
In comment 15282899 mort christenson said:
Quote:
with Costner and Eastwood?


This is a good one!
I am not a big movie watcher like some of you, but I did  
BigBlueBuff : 6/9/2021 9:47 pm : link
work at a cinema at the end of high school/early college and I saw a ton of movies back then. A couple that I remember liking that you never hear of much anymore:

Dead Ringers
A Fish Called Wanda
Uncle Buck
Mo Better Blues
City Slickers
......  
Route 9 : 6/10/2021 12:14 am : link
Uncle Buck was great lol at the time, I used to like that mean stare by the teenage girl in that movie.
A response in a thread about Loki reminded me of one  
Matt M. : 6/10/2021 9:47 am : link
Maybe not my MOST overrated, but Defending Your Life is one of my choices.
Jagged Edge  
NYGgolfer : 6/10/2021 10:06 am : link
with Glen Close and Jeff Bridges.

Entertaining legal thriller from the 80s.
two movies  
Eric from BBI : Admin : 6/10/2021 10:12 am : link
that I rarely see people discuss...

The Wrestler

Moonrise Kingdom
The Wrestler  
bc4life : 6/10/2021 10:28 am : link
was a really good movie. Never saw Moonrise Kingdom
RE: two movies  
Grey Pilgrim : 6/10/2021 11:13 am : link
In comment 15283759 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
that I rarely see people discuss...

The Wrestler

Moonrise Kingdom


These are both good!
Go Tell the Spartans (1978)  
Klaatu : 6/10/2021 11:18 am : link
Early days of US involvement in Vietnam.

Link - ( New Window )
......  
Route 9 : 6/10/2021 1:08 pm : link
The Wrestler was pretty big (for what it was) at the time. I think they featured film at WrestleMania the year it came out. Don't remember 100%.

My friend who wrestled (during that time) knew (and wrestled) a bunch of the guys in the movie, who were "backstage" extras for most of the scenes filmed at the high school.
RE: two movies  
Matt M. : 6/10/2021 2:05 pm : link
In comment 15283759 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
that I rarely see people discuss...

The Wrestler

Moonrise Kingdom
The Wrestler got a lot of attention when it came out, especially at Oscar time for the performances. Since then, you are right. It never seems to get any mention.
Buffalo 66  
Grey Pilgrim : 6/11/2021 11:39 am : link
Trees Lounge

One more...  
Grey Pilgrim : 6/11/2021 12:18 pm : link
Hurlyburly
If anyone went to high school in the 80’s  
Carl in CT : 6/11/2021 1:15 pm : link
Then watch That’s my Boy. (Adam Sandler movie) never went big time but you will laugh your ass off with all the 80’s things that they do.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner