for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: Rome Gets Its First Pizza Vending Machine. Will Romans Bite?

gidiefor : Mod : 6/7/2021 7:07 am
Very intriguing and amusing story, sure to interest our numerous pizza lovers.. would you try one of these?

Quote:
Essentially, Romans will eat pizza, here and there, they will it eat anywhere. But would they, could they, eat it out of a vending machine?

Massimo Bucolo, a medical device salesman turned pizza entrepreneur, is betting they will. He has installed Rome’s first no-hands pizza machine in a bustling neighborhood within walking distance of the capital’s main university.

He’s hoping that the vending machine — which makes a fresh pizza from scratch in exactly three minutes — will catch on with Rome’s pizza-loving population, especially after hours, when traditional spots are closed and the clientele is, shall we say, less discerning.



- More By Elisabetta Povoledo/NYTimes - - ( New Window )
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 6/7/2021 7:13 am : link
Sounds interesting, but is it like their version of Domino's? If so, I will pass.
hmm  
Giantsfan79 : 6/7/2021 7:51 am : link
street level food vending machines.

Can't wait to Carl's Jr gets in that game.



I can the marketing coming pitch going something like, "Your kids are starving. Carl's Jr. believes no child should go hungry. You are an unfit mother. Your children will be placed in the custody of Carl's Jr. Carl's Jr., fuck you, I'm eating."
Link - ( New Window )
Ha, all I can think of is this...  
sb from NYT Forum : 6/7/2021 9:46 am : link

Yea, right  
RobCrossRiver56 : 6/7/2021 2:21 pm : link
Just like when Taco Bell opened up in Mexico City
RE: Yea, right  
rnargi : 6/7/2021 2:30 pm : link
In comment 15281687 RobCrossRiver56 said:
Quote:
Just like when Taco Bell opened up in Mexico City


Is that for real? Taco Bell in Mexico City? Hahahaha! Serious cajones if true!
RE: RE: Yea, right  
giants#1 : 6/7/2021 2:43 pm : link
In comment 15281691 rnargi said:
Quote:
In comment 15281687 RobCrossRiver56 said:


Quote:


Just like when Taco Bell opened up in Mexico City



Is that for real? Taco Bell in Mexico City? Hahahaha! Serious cajones if true!


I've probably been to Taco Bell <5 times in my life, but is really worse than American's choosing KFC/McDs over real fried chicken and burgers? Or Domino's/Pizza Hut over something from a pizzeria?
No, not at all...  
rnargi : 6/7/2021 2:59 pm : link
...but if you know how and where Pizza Hut and Dominos got their start, there WAS no "real" pizza outside the north east. It was very much a regional food. KFC literally started in a gas station. It was at one time considered real fried chicken. Sanders converted a traditional pressure cooker to use oil, simply because he had to make it faster. As for McDonald's, their burgers were legit when they started.

I also went to Taco Bell in the late 70s I. San Diego. It was not today's, lol...not even close. I just can't imagine pizza hut in Naples...same as Taco Bell in MC. But maybe it works!
Will Romans Bite?  
JohnF : 6/7/2021 5:16 pm : link
Probably not. I think this is just for the tourists.

Vending machine Pizza goes totally against the way Italians eat. Eating for the natives is an experience, not something that's done quickly.


How to Eat Like an Italian and Other Foodie Questions - ( New Window )
RE: No, not at all...  
Matt M. : 6/7/2021 5:50 pm : link
In comment 15281710 rnargi said:
Quote:
...but if you know how and where Pizza Hut and Dominos got their start, there WAS no "real" pizza outside the north east. It was very much a regional food. KFC literally started in a gas station. It was at one time considered real fried chicken. Sanders converted a traditional pressure cooker to use oil, simply because he had to make it faster. As for McDonald's, their burgers were legit when they started.

I also went to Taco Bell in the late 70s I. San Diego. It was not today's, lol...not even close. I just can't imagine pizza hut in Naples...same as Taco Bell in MC. But maybe it works!
Great point. This is not a small business thriving and then forced to change by drastically reducing quality to meet franchise needs, economies of scale, etc. They are just jumping right to a shitty product that I doubt will be used by very many locals.
RE: RE: No, not at all...  
rnargi : 6/7/2021 6:48 pm : link
In comment 15281822 Matt M. said:
Quote:
In comment 15281710 rnargi said:


Quote:


...but if you know how and where Pizza Hut and Dominos got their start, there WAS no "real" pizza outside the north east. It was very much a regional food. KFC literally started in a gas station. It was at one time considered real fried chicken. Sanders converted a traditional pressure cooker to use oil, simply because he had to make it faster. As for McDonald's, their burgers were legit when they started.

I also went to Taco Bell in the late 70s I. San Diego. It was not today's, lol...not even close. I just can't imagine pizza hut in Naples...same as Taco Bell in MC. But maybe it works!

Great point. This is not a small business thriving and then forced to change by drastically reducing quality to meet franchise needs, economies of scale, etc. They are just jumping right to a shitty product that I doubt will be used by very many locals.


Yep, my point exactly. Lol...pizza vending...just yikes!
RE: RE: RE: No, not at all...  
Boatie Warrant : 6/8/2021 1:07 pm : link
In comment 15281847 rnargi said:
Quote:
In comment 15281822 Matt M. said:


Quote:


In comment 15281710 rnargi said:


Quote:


...but if you know how and where Pizza Hut and Dominos got their start, there WAS no "real" pizza outside the north east. It was very much a regional food. KFC literally started in a gas station. It was at one time considered real fried chicken. Sanders converted a traditional pressure cooker to use oil, simply because he had to make it faster. As for McDonald's, their burgers were legit when they started.

I also went to Taco Bell in the late 70s I. San Diego. It was not today's, lol...not even close. I just can't imagine pizza hut in Naples...same as Taco Bell in MC. But maybe it works!

Great point. This is not a small business thriving and then forced to change by drastically reducing quality to meet franchise needs, economies of scale, etc. They are just jumping right to a shitty product that I doubt will be used by very many locals.



Yep, my point exactly. Lol...pizza vending...just yikes!


Who knows. Might end up a niche taste. I mean, Chicken nuggets have a huge market and many are barely chicken! :)

Hell, Pizza as we know it today is not like when it was originally made in Naples. Even NY Pizza has shifted in taste in the last 40 years (canned ingredients instead of fresh grown) even 15 years ago I was hard pressed to find a good Pizza south of NY.

RE: RE: RE: Yea, right  
FatMan in Charlotte : 6/8/2021 1:11 pm : link
In comment 15281701 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 15281691 rnargi said:


Quote:


In comment 15281687 RobCrossRiver56 said:


Quote:


Just like when Taco Bell opened up in Mexico City



Is that for real? Taco Bell in Mexico City? Hahahaha! Serious cajones if true!



I've probably been to Taco Bell <5 times in my life, but is really worse than American's choosing KFC/McDs over real fried chicken and burgers? Or Domino's/Pizza Hut over something from a pizzeria?


You might laugh, but in the UK and china, KFC is nothing like the stuff in the US. Not only is the product good, it has a large following in those countries. When one of my friends from the UK went to KFC here, he wanted to know why is was so terrible.
Sure - if they target the right market at the right time and deliver  
glowrider : 6/8/2021 1:17 pm : link
Something not completely offensive to drunk kids when everything else is closed. Domino’s has a presence in Italy for a purpose.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Yea, right  
glowrider : 6/8/2021 1:20 pm : link
In comment 15282480 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
In comment 15281701 giants#1 said:


Quote:


In comment 15281691 rnargi said:


Quote:


In comment 15281687 RobCrossRiver56 said:


Quote:


Just like when Taco Bell opened up in Mexico City



Is that for real? Taco Bell in Mexico City? Hahahaha! Serious cajones if true!



I've probably been to Taco Bell <5 times in my life, but is really worse than American's choosing KFC/McDs over real fried chicken and burgers? Or Domino's/Pizza Hut over something from a pizzeria?



You might laugh, but in the UK and china, KFC is nothing like the stuff in the US. Not only is the product good, it has a large following in those countries. When one of my friends from the UK went to KFC here, he wanted to know why is was so terrible.


KFC is gigantic outside the US and the #1 chain in China, including at the Badaling section of the Great Wall (basically one of the closest to Beijing).

There is also, or was also, a Pizza Hut/KFC across from the Sphinx for many years.
RE: Will Romans Bite?  
giants#1 : 6/8/2021 1:27 pm : link
In comment 15281796 JohnF said:
Quote:
Probably not. I think this is just for the tourists.

Vending machine Pizza goes totally against the way Italians eat. Eating for the natives is an experience, not something that's done quickly.

How to Eat Like an Italian and Other Foodie Questions - ( New Window )


Eh, the article alludes to the fact that the target demographic is basically late night drunks. They're not trying to replace family dinners, they're giving an extra (quick) option to those with the munchies.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Yea, right  
giants#1 : 6/8/2021 1:29 pm : link
In comment 15282480 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:



You might laugh, but in the UK and china, KFC is nothing like the stuff in the US. Not only is the product good, it has a large following in those countries. When one of my friends from the UK went to KFC here, he wanted to know why is was so terrible.


I've been to a KFC in China and it was significantly worse than KFC's here.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Yea, right  
FatMan in Charlotte : 6/8/2021 1:34 pm : link
In comment 15282496 giants#1 said:
Quote:
In comment 15282480 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:





You might laugh, but in the UK and china, KFC is nothing like the stuff in the US. Not only is the product good, it has a large following in those countries. When one of my friends from the UK went to KFC here, he wanted to know why is was so terrible.



I've been to a KFC in China and it was significantly worse than KFC's here.


That was the opposite of my experience. They actually used to bring KFC in for our work lunches and I wondered what the hell the Chinese were doing to make it so good. Of course, you got the occasional head with comb still on it - but that was sort of funny. It's like they took the Colonel's real recipe that was used in the US 30 years ago and used it over there while the places in the US went to shit.
RE: Will Romans Bite?  
Bill in UT : 6/8/2021 2:24 pm : link
In comment 15281796 JohnF said:
Quote:
Probably not. I think this is just for the tourists.

Vending machine Pizza goes totally against the way Italians eat. Eating for the natives is an experience, not something that's done quickly.



Keep in mind that Italy has had a huge influx of immigrants who didn't grown up in the Italian gastronomic culture.
Back to the Corner