for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Colts All-Pro G Quenton Nelson to undergo foot surgery, out

ZogZerg : 8/3/2021 2:26 pm
out 5-12 weeks.

What a terrible start to the season for the Colts.

Quote:

The football injury gods continue to smite the Indianapolis Colts.

A day after quarterback Carson Wentz underwent foot surgery, star guard Quenton Nelson will join him on the shelf.

Colts coach Frank Reich announced Tuesday that Nelson will undergo foot surgery today and be out 5-to-12 weeks, mirroring Wentz's timeline.



Colts All-Pro G Quenton Nelson to undergo foot surgery, out 5-12 weeks - ( New Window )
Yikes  
Mark from Jersey : 8/3/2021 2:31 pm : link
The start of their schedule is brutal too. Could start 0-5.
That’s awful  
jc in c-ville : 8/3/2021 2:31 pm : link
If Tennessee stays healthy that will be a cakewalk to win that division.
Call it the curse of Doug Pederson  
Matt in SGS : 8/3/2021 3:02 pm : link
hitting the Colts too.

When Pederson pulled that nonsense at the end of the year to tank, I'm hoping the football Gods punish Philly.

The proper karma here being that the Giants pick they got because they didn't make the playoffs becomes something. So that means that Toney should become an Eagle killer. But to extend the curse properly, the Bears need to suck to make that 1st round pick better for the Giants (especially after the swap with Dallas)

But now the Colts might be drawn in. The Eagles get the Colts 1st round pick if Wentz plays 75% of the plays OR 70% and make the playoffs. With Wentz out a while and now Nelson, the odds of those happening is getting worse, leaving the Eagles with a 2nd rounder.

Here's hoping for all things bad for Philly in 2021.
Same injury, same amount of time, same team  
jeff57 : 8/3/2021 4:35 pm : link
What are the odds?
brutal ROI  
Eric on Li : 8/3/2021 4:39 pm : link
that's why it's always a mistake to draft football players in the top 10. trade down and draft nothing but kickers, far fewer injuries.
RE: brutal ROI  
Brown_Hornet : 8/3/2021 5:04 pm : link
In comment 15321450 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
that's why it's always a mistake to draft football players in the top 10. trade down and draft nothing but kickers, far fewer injuries.
Yasss
He'll probably still make his 4th consecutive first team All-Pro  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 5:13 pm : link
that's ROI...
RE: He'll probably still make his 4th consecutive first team All-Pro  
BigBlueShock : 8/3/2021 6:18 pm : link
In comment 15321501 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
that's ROI...

How many Super Bowls has he helped the Colts win? Or is that just the barometer for determining a RBs worth?
RE: RE: He'll probably still make his 4th consecutive first team All-Pro  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 6:26 pm : link
In comment 15321577 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 15321501 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


that's ROI...


How many Super Bowls has he helped the Colts win? Or is that just the barometer for determining a RBs worth?


Are you kidding me? You really want to challenge how good of a pick and player this guy has been since 2018?

And blindly applying poor logic you may have read to what I wrote above really makes no sense on your part...
RE: RE: RE: He'll probably still make his 4th consecutive first team All-Pro  
BigBlueShock : 8/3/2021 6:35 pm : link
In comment 15321581 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
In comment 15321577 BigBlueShock said:


Quote:


In comment 15321501 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


that's ROI...


How many Super Bowls has he helped the Colts win? Or is that just the barometer for determining a RBs worth?



Are you kidding me? You really want to challenge how good of a pick and player this guy has been since 2018?

And blindly applying poor logic you may have read to what I wrote above really makes no sense on your part...

Yeah, bullshit. Every single person on this site knows the only reason you posted that on this thread is to get your little unclever dig in at the Barkley pick. You will lie about it and say that’s not the case. We all know it. So save your breath. Your posting history speaks for itself. You’ve never posted a damn thing on this site that didn’t have a sarcastic, underlying motive behind it
So much popcorn today  
UConn4523 : 8/3/2021 6:44 pm : link
!
What are you babbling about? The return on investment for  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 6:46 pm : link
Nelson has been simply great. Not even sure if any other offensive lineman in recent history has made first team All-Pro in his first 3 years in the league.

He is on his way to a Hall of Fame career...
And if you are looking for sarcastic underlying motive posts  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 6:50 pm : link
take a look at the two guys above mine.

Why not respond to theirs with your sanctimonious crap...

RE: What are you babbling about? The return on investment for  
BigBlueShock : 8/3/2021 6:58 pm : link
In comment 15321599 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
Nelson has been simply great. Not even sure if any other offensive lineman in recent history has made first team All-Pro in his first 3 years in the league.

He is on his way to a Hall of Fame career...

That’s fine. But I never want to see you mention RBs as bad ROI again in the context that they can be great, Hall of Famers, but they don’t equate to Super Bowl championships. History shows that the same can be said about guards.

I’ll bow out now because I really like Nelson and I’m not trying to minimize how great he is. But the ROI goalposts sure do get moved a lot around here
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 8/3/2021 7:08 pm : link
Wish him a speedy recovery. It was obvious in South Bend that he was the goods.
RE: RE: What are you babbling about? The return on investment for  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 7:12 pm : link
In comment 15321607 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 15321599 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


Nelson has been simply great. Not even sure if any other offensive lineman in recent history has made first team All-Pro in his first 3 years in the league.

He is on his way to a Hall of Fame career...


That’s fine. But I never want to see you mention RBs as bad ROI again in the context that they can be great, Hall of Famers, but they don’t equate to Super Bowl championships. History shows that the same can be said about guards.

I’ll bow out now because I really like Nelson and I’m not trying to minimize how great he is. But the ROI goalposts sure do get moved a lot around here


I will mention RBs drafted early and a bad ROI all day long. Always have and always will.

However, I don't give bad takes like saying any individual player/position ensures that you win Super Bowls, not even QBs...that is for the chuckleheads of the board. Are you trying out for a spot in their club?

As to bowing out, you really were probably better off not ever bowing in...
RE: RE: RE: What are you babbling about? The return on investment for  
BigBlueShock : 8/3/2021 7:25 pm : link
In comment 15321628 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
In comment 15321607 BigBlueShock said:


Quote:


In comment 15321599 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


Nelson has been simply great. Not even sure if any other offensive lineman in recent history has made first team All-Pro in his first 3 years in the league.

He is on his way to a Hall of Fame career...


That’s fine. But I never want to see you mention RBs as bad ROI again in the context that they can be great, Hall of Famers, but they don’t equate to Super Bowl championships. History shows that the same can be said about guards.

I’ll bow out now because I really like Nelson and I’m not trying to minimize how great he is. But the ROI goalposts sure do get moved a lot around here



I will mention RBs drafted early and a bad ROI all day long. Always have and always will.

However, I don't give bad takes like saying any individual player/position ensures that you win Super Bowls, not even QBs...that is for the chuckleheads of the board. Are you trying out for a spot in their club?

As to bowing out, you really were probably better off not ever bowing in...

Haha! You have the mental capacity of a gnat. You’re bw in dc’s little lap dog. You follow him around thread to thread nodding in agreement with your pathetic ass. Just stop. And no, you don’t get to talk about RBs and return on investment. You’ve lost your privileges.

 
christian : 8/3/2021 7:27 pm : link
Lol Super Bowl?

I’d like a Giants team with Saquon Barkley to play 2 consecutive games with a .500 record.
RE: RE: RE: RE: What are you babbling about? The return on investment for  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 7:33 pm : link
In comment 15321639 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 15321628 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


In comment 15321607 BigBlueShock said:


Quote:


In comment 15321599 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


Nelson has been simply great. Not even sure if any other offensive lineman in recent history has made first team All-Pro in his first 3 years in the league.

He is on his way to a Hall of Fame career...


That’s fine. But I never want to see you mention RBs as bad ROI again in the context that they can be great, Hall of Famers, but they don’t equate to Super Bowl championships. History shows that the same can be said about guards.

I’ll bow out now because I really like Nelson and I’m not trying to minimize how great he is. But the ROI goalposts sure do get moved a lot around here



I will mention RBs drafted early and a bad ROI all day long. Always have and always will.

However, I don't give bad takes like saying any individual player/position ensures that you win Super Bowls, not even QBs...that is for the chuckleheads of the board. Are you trying out for a spot in their club?

As to bowing out, you really were probably better off not ever bowing in...


Haha! You have the mental capacity of a gnat. You’re bw in dc’s little lap dog. You follow him around thread to thread nodding in agreement with your pathetic ass. Just stop. And no, you don’t get to talk about RBs and return on investment. You’ve lost your privileges.


Shock, no offense but you started with nothing here and ended with even less. And now the above post makes you look like even more of a fool.

Attack the guys you at least have a fighting chance with or stay on the NFT page...
 
christian : 8/3/2021 7:37 pm : link
2018 - 2020

Wins: Colts 28, Giants 15
Playoff Appearances: Colts 2, Giants 0
Playoff Wins: Colts 1, Giants 0
Rushing Yards: Colts 5844, Giants 5103
Rushing TDs: Colts 50, Giants 37

There are some interesting debates coming out of the 2018 draft. Colts vs. Giants is not one of them.
RE: …  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 7:41 pm : link
In comment 15321652 christian said:
Quote:
2018 - 2020

Wins: Colts 28, Giants 15
Playoff Appearances: Colts 2, Giants 0
Playoff Wins: Colts 1, Giants 0
Rushing Yards: Colts 5844, Giants 5103
Rushing TDs: Colts 50, Giants 37

There are some interesting debates coming out of the 2018 draft. Colts vs. Giants is not one of them.


But christian, the Colts didn't win a Super Bowl so investing in a guy like Nelson was a waste.

Who really needs a great OL anyway...
 
christian : 8/3/2021 7:44 pm : link
Nelson could miss the entire season, Barkley play the entire season, and Nelson would still have more games played.
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 8/3/2021 7:49 pm : link
Nelson would have been the better pick, but se la vie. It's water under the bridge. Just gotta cross our fingers Saquon looks like his '18 self this fall.
RE: …  
BigBlueShock : 8/3/2021 7:51 pm : link
In comment 15321652 christian said:
Quote:
2018 - 2020

Wins: Colts 28, Giants 15
Playoff Appearances: Colts 2, Giants 0
Playoff Wins: Colts 1, Giants 0
Rushing Yards: Colts 5844, Giants 5103
Rushing TDs: Colts 50, Giants 37

There are some interesting debates coming out of the 2018 draft. Colts vs. Giants is not one of them.

How about Super Bowls? You are a great poster and I respect your opinion, but you’re being incredibly disingenuous here if you cannot acknowledge the fact that every single thread about Barkley from the people that don’t like the pick points to the RB position being non essential to Super Bowl teams. That is a fact. It happens almost on a daily basis. Not record. Not playoff appearances. Super Bowls. The objective is to win a Super Bowl. Drafting RBs high is unnecessary. That’s what we all read here all the time. Hall of Famers like Barry Sanders never won a Super Bowl so it proves that RBs aren’t important. You can be great but it doesn’t lead to championships. So why is the history of the guard position so easily glossed over? Plenty of HoF gurds never won a Super Bowl. And plenty of Suoer Bowl winners had late round picks and UDFAs at guard. Why is RB always the target here and not other positions? We all know why…
RE: RE: …  
BigBlueShock : 8/3/2021 7:53 pm : link
In comment 15321655 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
In comment 15321652 christian said:


Quote:


2018 - 2020

Wins: Colts 28, Giants 15
Playoff Appearances: Colts 2, Giants 0
Playoff Wins: Colts 1, Giants 0
Rushing Yards: Colts 5844, Giants 5103
Rushing TDs: Colts 50, Giants 37

There are some interesting debates coming out of the 2018 draft. Colts vs. Giants is not one of them.



But christian, the Colts didn't win a Super Bowl so investing in a guy like Nelson was a waste.

Who really needs a great OL anyway...

Isn’t that exactly why you and your cronies say Barkley was a bad pick? Of course it is. There are hundreds of threads on this site pointing to that fact.
RE: …  
BigBlueShock : 8/3/2021 7:54 pm : link
In comment 15321657 christian said:
Quote:
Nelson could miss the entire season, Barkley play the entire season, and Nelson would still have more games played.

Point?
who will have the last post, stay tuned!  
UConn4523 : 8/3/2021 7:55 pm : link
RE: who will have the last post, stay tuned!  
BigBlueShock : 8/3/2021 8:03 pm : link
In comment 15321668 UConn4523 said:
Quote:

You really do admire that dupe that recently signed up and started posting like this, huh? Turned over a new leaf because of some weirdo dupe? Come on UConn, get back to being you and tell us how you really feel!
RE: RE: RE: …  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 8:06 pm : link
In comment 15321664 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 15321655 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


In comment 15321652 christian said:


Quote:


2018 - 2020

Wins: Colts 28, Giants 15
Playoff Appearances: Colts 2, Giants 0
Playoff Wins: Colts 1, Giants 0
Rushing Yards: Colts 5844, Giants 5103
Rushing TDs: Colts 50, Giants 37

There are some interesting debates coming out of the 2018 draft. Colts vs. Giants is not one of them.



But christian, the Colts didn't win a Super Bowl so investing in a guy like Nelson was a waste.

Who really needs a great OL anyway...


Isn’t that exactly why you and your cronies say Barkley was a bad pick? Of course it is. There are hundreds of threads on this site pointing to that fact.


So you want to go to the mattresses and stick me with every bad point/thread/post you have read on the topic of why teams shouldn't pick running backs very high in the draft Especially teams needing a full blown restructuring of their roster?

You wanted a non-sarcastic, non-underlying motive post from me, so here it is...

You suck at this.
RE: RE: …  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 8:08 pm : link
In comment 15321660 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 15321652 christian said:


Quote:


2018 - 2020

Wins: Colts 28, Giants 15
Playoff Appearances: Colts 2, Giants 0
Playoff Wins: Colts 1, Giants 0
Rushing Yards: Colts 5844, Giants 5103
Rushing TDs: Colts 50, Giants 37

There are some interesting debates coming out of the 2018 draft. Colts vs. Giants is not one of them.


How about Super Bowls? You are a great poster and I respect your opinion, but you’re being incredibly disingenuous here if you cannot acknowledge the fact that every single thread about Barkley from the people that don’t like the pick points to the RB position being non essential to Super Bowl teams. That is a fact. It happens almost on a daily basis. Not record. Not playoff appearances. Super Bowls. The objective is to win a Super Bowl. Drafting RBs high is unnecessary. That’s what we all read here all the time. Hall of Famers like Barry Sanders never won a Super Bowl so it proves that RBs aren’t important. You can be great but it doesn’t lead to championships. So why is the history of the guard position so easily glossed over? Plenty of HoF gurds never won a Super Bowl. And plenty of Suoer Bowl winners had late round picks and UDFAs at guard. Why is RB always the target here and not other positions? We all know why…


Reincarnation of a Britt of VA. meltdown...
RE: RE: RE: RE: …  
BigBlueShock : 8/3/2021 8:13 pm : link
In comment 15321679 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
In comment 15321664 BigBlueShock said:


Quote:


In comment 15321655 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


In comment 15321652 christian said:


Quote:


2018 - 2020

Wins: Colts 28, Giants 15
Playoff Appearances: Colts 2, Giants 0
Playoff Wins: Colts 1, Giants 0
Rushing Yards: Colts 5844, Giants 5103
Rushing TDs: Colts 50, Giants 37

There are some interesting debates coming out of the 2018 draft. Colts vs. Giants is not one of them.



But christian, the Colts didn't win a Super Bowl so investing in a guy like Nelson was a waste.

Who really needs a great OL anyway...


Isn’t that exactly why you and your cronies say Barkley was a bad pick? Of course it is. There are hundreds of threads on this site pointing to that fact.



So you want to go to the mattresses and stick me with every bad point/thread/post you have read on the topic of why teams shouldn't pick running backs very high in the draft Especially teams needing a full blown restructuring of their roster?

You wanted a non-sarcastic, non-underlying motive post from me, so here it is...

You suck at this.

Hahaha. Classic Googs. You’ve been banned, came back under a different handle, banned again and here you are telling other people they suck at this. You’ve been told a million times what a shitty poster you are. Yet you absolutely refuse to acknowledge it. Your self awareness sucks. Among all the other issues you have. Be better.

Anyways, you can have the last word. See ya around the next time you need to be called to the carpet. Which won’t be long, I’m guessing. Take care my friend
RE: RE: who will have the last post, stay tuned!  
UConn4523 : 8/3/2021 8:17 pm : link
In comment 15321675 BigBlueShock said:
Quote:
In comment 15321668 UConn4523 said:


Quote:





You really do admire that dupe that recently signed up and started posting like this, huh? Turned over a new leaf because of some weirdo dupe? Come on UConn, get back to being you and tell us how you really feel!


New season, new ME! I do love that new poster though, the innocence is a rarity.
Okay here are the last words that summarize the above...  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 8:19 pm : link
Nelson has been a great ROI. Barkley has not.

And you had a bad thread...
Would anyone go back in time for this outcome?  
bw in dc : 8/3/2021 8:56 pm : link
With the #2 pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the NY Giants select Quenton Nelson, bulldozer, Notre Dame.

And with the 34th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the NY Giants select Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia.
RE: who will have the last post, stay tuned!  
JuliusPepperwood : 8/3/2021 8:59 pm : link
In comment 15321668 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
LOL! I just grabbed my popcorn, these guys don't quit huh?
RE: Would anyone go back in time for this outcome?  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 9:12 pm : link
In comment 15321721 bw in dc said:
Quote:
With the #2 pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the NY Giants select Quenton Nelson, bulldozer, Notre Dame.

And with the 34th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the NY Giants select Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia.


Sure, but how about if Gettleman took the Browns offer of trading his #2 pick for the #4 pick and their #33 and #35 picks?

We could have had Quentin Nelson at 4, Nick Chubb at 33, Darius Leonard at 34 and Braden Smith at 35.

Would have rebuilt the team in one fell swoop...
RE: RE: Would anyone go back in time for this outcome?  
JuliusPepperwood : 8/3/2021 9:19 pm : link
In comment 15321735 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
In comment 15321721 bw in dc said:


Quote:


With the #2 pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the NY Giants select Quenton Nelson, bulldozer, Notre Dame.

And with the 34th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the NY Giants select Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia.



Sure, but how about if Gettleman took the Browns offer of trading his #2 pick for the #4 pick and their #33 and #35 picks?

We could have had Quentin Nelson at 4, Nick Chubb at 33, Darius Leonard at 34 and Braden Smith at 35.

Would have rebuilt the team in one fell swoop...
Whoa he really turned that down? I was kind of excited for Barkley but it looks like it's not a very good pick now. Please no one yell at me!
He turned it down because those guys weren’t touched  
Jimmy Googs : 8/3/2021 9:28 pm : link
by the hand of God...
RE: RE: Would anyone go back in time for this outcome?  
bw in dc : 8/3/2021 9:34 pm : link
In comment 15321735 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:


Sure, but how about if Gettleman took the Browns offer of trading his #2 pick for the #4 pick and their #33 and #35 picks?

We could have had Quentin Nelson at 4, Nick Chubb at 33, Darius Leonard at 34 and Braden Smith at 35.

Would have rebuilt the team in one fell swoop...


On the Barkley pick, your are forgetting this from Resume Dave:

"Saquon was one of those guys my mother could have scouted."

RE: Would anyone go back in time for this outcome?  
Ned In Atlanta : 8/3/2021 10:33 pm : link
In comment 15321721 bw in dc said:
Quote:
With the #2 pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the NY Giants select Quenton Nelson, bulldozer, Notre Dame.

And with the 34th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the NY Giants select Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia.


There are posters on this site who, even with the benefit of hindsight, say they wouldn’t have changed a thing in spite of the hypothetical you presented
 
christian : 8/4/2021 12:08 am : link
The end game is competing for a championship. I don’t think anyone truly thinks Barkley is only a good pick if he wins a Super Bowl with the Giants.

But we’re entering year four — and Barkley has literally not suited up for a game as a Giant with a winning record — let alone compete for a ring.

Hopefully it turns out the last 3 years become a distant bad memory, and Barkley has 3 great seasons ahead of him. For him to be worth it, the Giants at least need to get in the tournament, no?

And all things equal, who wouldn’t choose Nelson and Chubb over Barkley and Hernandez?
RE: …  
Big Blue '56 : 8/4/2021 7:59 am : link
In comment 15321836 christian said:
Quote:
The end game is competing for a championship. I don’t think anyone truly thinks Barkley is only a good pick if he wins a Super Bowl with the Giants.

But we’re entering year four — and Barkley has literally not suited up for a game as a Giant with a winning record — let alone compete for a ring.

Hopefully it turns out the last 3 years become a distant bad memory, and Barkley has 3 great seasons ahead of him. For him to be worth it, the Giants at least need to get in the tournament, no?

And all things equal, who wouldn’t choose Nelson and Chubb over Barkley and Hernandez?


Quote:


And all things equal, who wouldn’t choose Nelson and Chubb over Barkley and Hernandez?



I will wait to see where Barkley is before making that statement. If he returns to form, then Barkley for certain, imo..He adds a dimension that could make us an O to be reckoned with a la Faulk, esp. with the players he’s now been surrounded with.
Tough loss for the Colts  
Lines of Scrimmage : 8/4/2021 8:29 am : link
The issue with the SB pick is that the Giants were unable to provide a OL that could highlight his skillset. I understood the logic at the time. QB was not in the cards imo.

I think the pick was about giving Eli a potential great back with strong receiving skills that would help a rookie QB (in a year or two) for the transition. Unfortunately they could not get the OL part of it solved.

I hope he comes back at 100% and before a definitive conclusion is made I'd like to see him behind a very good OL with a strong skill position group.
The difference between Nelson and Hernandez alone  
NYGgolfer : 8/4/2021 8:31 am : link
makes that an easy decision. Even if Barkley recovers nicely which most should realize will be pretty likely.
RE: Call it the curse of Doug Pederson  
trueblueinpw : 8/4/2021 9:10 am : link
In comment 15321331 Matt in SGS said:
Quote:
hitting the Colts too.

When Pederson pulled that nonsense at the end of the year to tank, I'm hoping the football Gods punish Philly.

The proper karma here being that the Giants pick they got because they didn't make the playoffs becomes something. So that means that Toney should become an Eagle killer. But to extend the curse properly, the Bears need to suck to make that 1st round pick better for the Giants (especially after the swap with Dallas)

But now the Colts might be drawn in. The Eagles get the Colts 1st round pick if Wentz plays 75% of the plays OR 70% and make the playoffs. With Wentz out a while and now Nelson, the odds of those happening is getting worse, leaving the Eagles with a 2nd rounder.

Here's hoping for all things bad for Philly in 2021.


Agree. F Philly and anything and anyone that may help them. My hate for the Iggles burns hot as a thousand and one suns.
RE: The difference between Nelson and Hernandez alone  
Big Blue '56 : 8/4/2021 9:12 am : link
In comment 15321893 NYGgolfer said:
Quote:
makes that an easy decision. Even if Barkley recovers nicely which most should realize will be pretty likely.


Except WH was a second rounder, not a high first. A more apt appraisal of value would be between SB and Nelson as I see it.
all things equal finding more optimal picks is easy in any draft  
Eric on Li : 8/4/2021 10:24 am : link
I'm sure Seattle would have rather taken Chubb over Penny and NE Chubb over Sony Michel, each just a few picks earlier. I'm sure the Ravens would rather take Chubb or Darius Leonard or just about anyone over Hayden Hurst (who they took ahead of taking Lamar Jackson and obviously before they knew they'd be able to trade back up for him).

When a player falls in large part due to injuries but then stays healthy it looks regrettable that they fell in the first place.

Simple question or thought experiment or hypothetical or whatever you want to call it:

tomorrow is the super bowl and you can choose 1 non-QB, fully healthy offensive player from the 2018 draft class, who do you take? imo it still comes down to Barkley and Nelson, and fully healthy I'm pretty sure I'd go Barkley because he'd have the ball in his hands 20+ times and generally whenever that has happened in his career he's made at least 1 big game changing play.

Frustration over the fact that he hasn't been healthy is certainly justified but isn't it a bit hypocritical to then offer as an alternative that they should have instead picked a guy who'd needed major reconstructive surgery after one of the most grotesque knee injuries in recent memory? Like, wouldn't that have been a bit of a risk?
It isn't hypocritical if some of those alternatives were  
Jimmy Googs : 8/4/2021 12:15 pm : link
discussed at the time with regards to what might be optimal for a team needing a full rebuild like the Giants.
RE: RE: The difference between Nelson and Hernandez alone  
NYGgolfer : 8/4/2021 5:15 pm : link
In comment 15321924 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
In comment 15321893 NYGgolfer said:


Quote:


makes that an easy decision. Even if Barkley recovers nicely which most should realize will be pretty likely.



Except WH was a second rounder, not a high first. A more apt appraisal of value would be between SB and Nelson as I see it.


Yeah but that wasn't the context of the post.

Was suggesting if you don't want to decide between who is/has been/will be more impactful between Saquon Barkley and Chubb, then the remaining comparison is that Nelson is in a different league versus Hernandez. Or at least was trying to suggest it.
RE: RE: RE: The difference between Nelson and Hernandez alone  
Big Blue '56 : 8/4/2021 5:24 pm : link
In comment 15322568 NYGgolfer said:
Quote:
In comment 15321924 Big Blue '56 said:


Quote:


In comment 15321893 NYGgolfer said:


Quote:


makes that an easy decision. Even if Barkley recovers nicely which most should realize will be pretty likely.



Except WH was a second rounder, not a high first. A more apt appraisal of value would be between SB and Nelson as I see it.



Yeah but that wasn't the context of the post.

Was suggesting if you don't want to decide between who is/has been/will be more impactful between Saquon Barkley and Chubb, then the remaining comparison is that Nelson is in a different league versus Hernandez. Or at least was trying to suggest it.


Gotcha
Be gentle  
Grizz99 : 8/5/2021 3:09 am : link
..." You’ve never posted a damn thing on this site that didn’t have a sarcastic, underlying motive behind it"
Now that may be accurate, but is it gentle?
Understand how important this is to Jimmy. How he finds self esteem through relentless put downs. His purpose, his gratification and maybe his well being is involved. Please be kind and start to see him as pathetic instead of threatening.
RE: It isn't hypocritical if some of those alternatives were  
Eric on Li : 8/5/2021 10:06 am : link
In comment 15322226 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
discussed at the time with regards to what might be optimal for a team needing a full rebuild like the Giants.


if injuries to Barkley are a justification for the pick being a mistake it is 100% hypocritical to suggest they should have drafted a player at the same position who had a recent catastrophic knee injury.

the only way that particular criticism makes sense is with the benefit of hindsight.
RE: RE: It isn't hypocritical if some of those alternatives were  
Jimmy Googs : 8/5/2021 11:23 am : link
In comment 15323177 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
In comment 15322226 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


discussed at the time with regards to what might be optimal for a team needing a full rebuild like the Giants.



if injuries to Barkley are a justification for the pick being a mistake it is 100% hypocritical to suggest they should have drafted a player at the same position who had a recent catastrophic knee injury.

the only way that particular criticism makes sense is with the benefit of hindsight.


Never suggested Barkley's injury was the main or sole justification for the pick being a mistake, particularly when you factor in the rebuilding of the team that needed to occur at the time. So not being hypocritical at all.

Yes, running backs get hurt and they always will, but they are still a key element of the team and need to be obtained somehow. They just are not an overall #2 draft pick element in my view when there is plenty of very good supply further down the draft...
Back to the Corner