for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Some All-22 on Jones

endwerc : 9/13/2021 5:15 pm
9 plays diagrammed. Worth a watch. Will delete if German.
Lonk - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: Greg put it best on another thread..  
Thunderstruck27 : 9/14/2021 12:17 am : link
In comment 15365528 Sean said:
Quote:
What part of Jones’ game thus far makes him warrant the 6th pick in the draft?


Jones throws one of best long balls in the NFL and has top end speed. Again...the guy set records as a rookie...why did he regress?
RE: RE: From Sy's...  
bw in dc : 9/14/2021 12:26 am : link
In comment 15365758 Thunderstruck27 said:
Quote:


Nobody is 100% objective. Reading his review of Jones and then reading the next paragraph letting Barkley off the hook is a tale of 2 draft predictions. Both are high draft picks. Both are expected to produce. He basically buries Jones and says Barkley is rusty. He is entitled to his opinion like everyone else on this board


Well, Sy does this for a living. So while "nobody is 100% objective" - true - I trust Sy to have the ability to be as objective as anyone.
RE: RE: RE: Watching that  
Ten Ton Hammer : 9/14/2021 9:11 am : link
In comment 15365355 joeinpa said:
Quote:
In comment 15365266 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


In comment 15365263 joeinpa said:


Quote:


I can see why the Giants believe Jones is the guy.



And why is that?



There are plays where he demonstrates the skills to be special . Some of his throws are as good as it gets. He is a weapon with his legs

His problem continues to be inconsistency. Are we absolutely certain he won’t continue to develop to the point where his outstanding plays become the norm?


By the end of this season we will have 3 years of Jones games to look at.

If he's still an inconsistent fumble machine playing like he did on sunday, what reason to we have to believe that changes having had 3 years? He's gotten worse since his rookie year, not better.
RE: From Sy's...  
TheBlueprintNC : 9/14/2021 9:11 am : link
In comment 15365523 bw in dc said:
Quote:
game review today...



Quote:


Looking at the stat line, it would be natural to assume Jones played a decent game. I went in the other direction. He was way worse than the stat line, and considering the fumble at such an inopportune time, it was a well-below average game from Jones. This is THE year for the third-year quarterback from Duke and it was a poor way to start it off. He was inaccurate on several throws, he had two interceptions dropped, and the fumble was inexcusable. That was arguably the top turning point of the game, and you just can’t have that from the leader of the offense. Jones continues to be slow to react, he continues to struggle when his primary read isn’t there, and he isn’t putting a defense on its heels. 1 down, 16 to go for Jones who is in a season-long job interview for his future.



Just in case many of you didn't see this. And Sy is looking at this through a very objective lens...


Dave does a really nice job but i think he is wrong on this.. I saw a QB gutting it out and trying to move the ball.. The issue is this OL and Dan with the new weapons have not practiced or played together.. This is a preseason game since all players were hurt during the preseason. The only consistent players were Shep best game by far, Dan had a good game, Gates and Thomas and Hernandez, and Booker. The rest were ill timed missed assignments and just rusty due to no playing time. Ijured the Giants were injured all thru the off season and pre season -but the season has started they have plenty of talent to start to get more aggressive and in time. SQ has to get his game back will take a few games before he does. He missed quite a few open holes. Golladay you saw at the end of the game- that was the most gametime work they ever had, Peart needs to get on the field but he needs to be worked in since coming off injury. KT #1 draft pick never practiced. EE will be back and help the middle of the field. Rudolph another no practice guy will come on, looked rusty as heck. D will be fine too just need to play together. 4 games is where the rubber will meet the road.. Dan needs will get more aggressive as we go on. Go re watch some of his throws the ones that looked off were with players he didnt practice with..
Lmao  
ajr2456 : 9/14/2021 9:14 am : link
A QB “gutting it out”. He was bad. It’s ok to admit it.
RE: Lmao  
TheBlueprintNC : 9/14/2021 9:29 am : link
In comment 15365964 ajr2456 said:
Quote:
A QB “gutting it out”. He was bad. It’s ok to admit it.


No he wasnt. its ok to admit it. he just needs a few games with his group. The kid has been here 3 yrs and this is the first time since he took over hes had a decent line in front of him and a few weapons.. Get the running game going and everything wll fall into place.

A Good QB is smart and learns and is tough enough to make plays. A great one is one that doesnt wilt in the sun. We will see what DJ is soon enough.
Sounds like we just need longer and longer regular seasons  
Jimmy Googs : 9/14/2021 9:34 am : link
That way the Giants can use the first couple months to play together and get to know each other, and then the last couple of months focusing on wins.

Maybe a 24 game regular season works?
RE: RE: Lmao  
ajr2456 : 9/14/2021 9:43 am : link
In comment 15365984 TheBlueprintNC said:
Quote:
In comment 15365964 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


A QB “gutting it out”. He was bad. It’s ok to admit it.



No he wasnt. its ok to admit it. he just needs a few games with his group. The kid has been here 3 yrs and this is the first time since he took over hes had a decent line in front of him and a few weapons.. Get the running game going and everything wll fall into place.

A Good QB is smart and learns and is tough enough to make plays. A great one is one that doesnt wilt in the sun. We will see what DJ is soon enough.


Well Jones wilts more than he doesn’t. It was Tyrod Taylor’s first game with his new group and he was better.
RE: Sounds like we just need longer and longer regular seasons  
ajr2456 : 9/14/2021 9:44 am : link
In comment 15365992 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
That way the Giants can use the first couple months to play together and get to know each other, and then the last couple of months focusing on wins.

Maybe a 24 game regular season works?


It’s amazing we’re in year 3 with the same mistakes and play, and it’s still “he just needs more time”
So the tape shows a number of good reads and passes  
PatersonPlank : 9/14/2021 9:45 am : link
why isn't anyone discussing them? All this discussion is on the last 2 passes, which to me look very well covered. That Golladay pass likely would have been picked if lower. The Rudolph one could have been a completion if throw earlier and perfect, but its not like missing a wide open guy. I don't see anything terrible here. I think people are just on a feeding frenzy at this point
RE: So the tape shows a number of good reads and passes  
ajr2456 : 9/14/2021 9:52 am : link
In comment 15366011 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
why isn't anyone discussing them? All this discussion is on the last 2 passes, which to me look very well covered. That Golladay pass likely would have been picked if lower. The Rudolph one could have been a completion if throw earlier and perfect, but its not like missing a wide open guy. I don't see anything terrible here. I think people are just on a feeding frenzy at this point


Derek Carr made a number of good passes and reads too last night. So did Tua. And Jameis. And Dalton. And every other QB in the league Sunday. When your bad passes and turnovers are in the redzone whatever else you did doesn’t matter.
RE: So the tape shows a number of good reads and passes  
rsjem1979 : 9/14/2021 10:01 am : link
In comment 15366011 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
why isn't anyone discussing them? All this discussion is on the last 2 passes, which to me look very well covered. That Golladay pass likely would have been picked if lower. The Rudolph one could have been a completion if throw earlier and perfect, but its not like missing a wide open guy. I don't see anything terrible here. I think people are just on a feeding frenzy at this point


Because it's his job to make good decisions and throws, and do it much more often. Not being "terrible" isn't worthy of praise. Being consistently good-to-great would be, and we're yet to see it.
RE: So the tape shows a number of good reads and passes  
Jimmy Googs : 9/14/2021 10:02 am : link
In comment 15366011 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
why isn't anyone discussing them? All this discussion is on the last 2 passes, which to me look very well covered. That Golladay pass likely would have been picked if lower. The Rudolph one could have been a completion if throw earlier and perfect, but its not like missing a wide open guy. I don't see anything terrible here. I think people are just on a feeding frenzy at this point


Why don't you start a new thread and discuss them?

If you don't like what is being said, change the conversation.
RE: Why wasn't Jones used in the preseason games?  
TheBlueprintNC : 9/14/2021 10:03 am : link
In comment 15365328 Fishmanjim57 said:
Quote:
The coaching staff are putting too much trust in this guy. He shouldn't be given the keys to the car if he keeps dropping them.
I am not a fan of Daniel Jones.
Not only did Gettleman screw the pooch when it came to the OL, but Gettleman drafted Jones.
The Giants should still be in the market for a starting QB.


OL was hurt and new weapons were out injured.
RE: RE: Why wasn't Jones used in the preseason games?  
Jimmy Googs : 9/14/2021 10:07 am : link
In comment 15366041 TheBlueprintNC said:
Quote:
In comment 15365328 Fishmanjim57 said:


Quote:


The coaching staff are putting too much trust in this guy. He shouldn't be given the keys to the car if he keeps dropping them.
I am not a fan of Daniel Jones.
Not only did Gettleman screw the pooch when it came to the OL, but Gettleman drafted Jones.
The Giants should still be in the market for a starting QB.



OL was hurt and new weapons were out injured.


Honest, my dog ate the gameplan...
RE: Sounds like we just need longer and longer regular seasons  
TheBlueprintNC : 9/14/2021 10:11 am : link
In comment 15365992 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
That way the Giants can use the first couple months to play together and get to know each other, and then the last couple of months focusing on wins.

Maybe a 24 game regular season works?


Cute. Nope 4 games and practices.. Too much talent to not come together.. OL played decently much improved aside Solder whiff but that will be Peart in there by game 5. Pass blocking mostly good. Run game had holes. WRs TEs just need time playing.

D will be fine.
RE: RE: Lmao  
Ten Ton Hammer : 9/14/2021 10:11 am : link
In comment 15365984 TheBlueprintNC said:
Quote:
In comment 15365964 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


A QB “gutting it out”. He was bad. It’s ok to admit it.



No he wasnt. its ok to admit it. he just needs a few games with his group. The kid has been here 3 yrs and this is the first time since he took over hes had a decent line in front of him and a few weapons


He's had Saquon, Sterling, Engram, and Slayton his whole career. They spent a lot of money for Tate, who gave them production until last season.

Criticise the line all day, they deserve it, but Jones has had people to throw to more often than not.

Some of you guys are seriously getting ridiculous now  
PatersonPlank : 9/14/2021 10:12 am : link
watching a 9.5 minute video, the last 2.5 minutes are a guy pointing out some of Jones's mistakes (I bet there were more). So lets skip the first 6.5 minutes of good things, and just go nuts over the mistakes. You do realize he picked and chooses these right? There were more positive plays and more negative plays he could have shown. Hell the video could have taken any form he wanted (all good, all bad, etc.). He tried I think to show a balanced view.

Look I don't know if Jones is the guy or not yet. I see good every time he plays and I see bad too. One will win, and a decision I would hope will be made by the end of the season one way or another by the coaches. All I know is that watching this video doesn't prove to me anything.
RE: Some of you guys are seriously getting ridiculous now  
ajr2456 : 9/14/2021 10:20 am : link
In comment 15366063 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
watching a 9.5 minute video, the last 2.5 minutes are a guy pointing out some of Jones's mistakes (I bet there were more). So lets skip the first 6.5 minutes of good things, and just go nuts over the mistakes. You do realize he picked and chooses these right? There were more positive plays and more negative plays he could have shown. Hell the video could have taken any form he wanted (all good, all bad, etc.). He tried I think to show a balanced view.

Look I don't know if Jones is the guy or not yet. I see good every time he plays and I see bad too. One will win, and a decision I would hope will be made by the end of the season one way or another by the coaches. All I know is that watching this video doesn't prove to me anything.


Every single QB every week has more good plays than bad ones, you’re being obtuse. It’s how bad and the timing of the bad ones.
RE: RE: Sounds like we just need longer and longer regular seasons  
ajr2456 : 9/14/2021 10:22 am : link
In comment 15366059 TheBlueprintNC said:
Quote:
In comment 15365992 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


That way the Giants can use the first couple months to play together and get to know each other, and then the last couple of months focusing on wins.

Maybe a 24 game regular season works?



Cute. Nope 4 games and practices.. Too much talent to not come together.. OL played decently much improved aside Solder whiff but that will be Peart in there by game 5. Pass blocking mostly good. Run game had holes. WRs TEs just need time playing.

D will be fine.


So they need four games worth of practices and games to not be an abomination on offense but 3/4 of the league can go out and score 20+ week one? Cmon man.
RE: RE: Sounds like we just need longer and longer regular seasons  
Jimmy Googs : 9/14/2021 10:26 am : link
In comment 15366059 TheBlueprintNC said:
Quote:
In comment 15365992 Jimmy Googs said:


Quote:


That way the Giants can use the first couple months to play together and get to know each other, and then the last couple of months focusing on wins.

Maybe a 24 game regular season works?



Cute. Nope 4 games and practices.. Too much talent to not come together.. OL played decently much improved aside Solder whiff but that will be Peart in there by game 5. Pass blocking mostly good. Run game had holes. WRs TEs just need time playing.

D will be fine.


Agree with a lot of this. Especially me being cute.

You're a pretty active poster this week, huh? Keep up the straight-man optimism comments too as the site needs more like this...
RE: RE: Sounds like we just need longer and longer regular seasons  
Greg from LI : 9/14/2021 10:31 am : link
In comment 15366059 TheBlueprintNC said:
Quote:
OL played decently much improved aside Solder whiff but that will be Peart in there by game 5.


That would be the same Peart who couldn't beat out Solder for the starting job, right? Forgive me if that doesn't instill confidence.
RE: RE: Some of you guys are seriously getting ridiculous now  
PatersonPlank : 9/14/2021 10:36 am : link
In comment 15366084 ajr2456 said:
Quote:
In comment 15366063 PatersonPlank said:


Quote:


watching a 9.5 minute video, the last 2.5 minutes are a guy pointing out some of Jones's mistakes (I bet there were more). So lets skip the first 6.5 minutes of good things, and just go nuts over the mistakes. You do realize he picked and chooses these right? There were more positive plays and more negative plays he could have shown. Hell the video could have taken any form he wanted (all good, all bad, etc.). He tried I think to show a balanced view.

Look I don't know if Jones is the guy or not yet. I see good every time he plays and I see bad too. One will win, and a decision I would hope will be made by the end of the season one way or another by the coaches. All I know is that watching this video doesn't prove to me anything.



Every single QB every week has more good plays than bad ones, you’re being obtuse. It’s how bad and the timing of the bad ones.


Not being obtuse. He picked these. I and you don't know if you lined up every Jones play the whole game how many good ones vs bad ones he would have. This guy just cherry picked a few good ones and bad ones to give a balanced view, and you are jumping all over it like this proves something.

So let me give my personal opinion on those 2 "bad" Jones plays. First off neither guy was really open. I blame Garretts scheme here more than anything. He ran a little set of routes, and it seemed like Denver was sitting there waiting for it. Jones tried to throw it high, in a place where only Golladay/Rudolph could get it, so as to not risk a Int (smart move).

The two things I would critique Jones about are 2) the passes were obviously too high, so not good (but not an easy pass), and 2) could he have bought more time and looked back at the middle of the field to see if anyone was open. I think someone like Lamar, Murray, etc., would have tried to scramble a little and get back to the other side once he saw how tight the coverage was on Rudolph and Golladay. That could also lead to a sack too, so there really isn't a good answer here seeing that Denver D was sitting right there. So to me Garrett has to get more creative than this.
RE: RE: RE: Lmao  
Thunderstruck27 : 9/14/2021 10:38 am : link
In comment 15366060 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
In comment 15365984 TheBlueprintNC said:


Quote:


In comment 15365964 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


A QB “gutting it out”. He was bad. It’s ok to admit it.



No he wasnt. its ok to admit it. he just needs a few games with his group. The kid has been here 3 yrs and this is the first time since he took over hes had a decent line in front of him and a few weapons



He's had Saquon, Sterling, Engram, and Slayton his whole career. They spent a lot of money for Tate, who gave them production until last season.

Criticise the line all day, they deserve it, but Jones has had people to throw to more often than not.


Those names do more to indict Gettleman than Jones. Jones played well when Barkley was healthy in 2019. Shepard has been hurt consistently during Jones career. Engram has only helped DJ turn the ball over more. Slayton, like Jones, has regressed since his rookie year, and Tate...yeah, they gave him a lot of money.
RE: RE: RE: Some of you guys are seriously getting ridiculous now  
ajr2456 : 9/14/2021 10:47 am : link
In comment 15366111 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
In comment 15366084 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


In comment 15366063 PatersonPlank said:


Quote:


watching a 9.5 minute video, the last 2.5 minutes are a guy pointing out some of Jones's mistakes (I bet there were more). So lets skip the first 6.5 minutes of good things, and just go nuts over the mistakes. You do realize he picked and chooses these right? There were more positive plays and more negative plays he could have shown. Hell the video could have taken any form he wanted (all good, all bad, etc.). He tried I think to show a balanced view.

Look I don't know if Jones is the guy or not yet. I see good every time he plays and I see bad too. One will win, and a decision I would hope will be made by the end of the season one way or another by the coaches. All I know is that watching this video doesn't prove to me anything.



Every single QB every week has more good plays than bad ones, you’re being obtuse. It’s how bad and the timing of the bad ones.



Not being obtuse. He picked these. I and you don't know if you lined up every Jones play the whole game how many good ones vs bad ones he would have. This guy just cherry picked a few good ones and bad ones to give a balanced view, and you are jumping all over it like this proves something.

So let me give my personal opinion on those 2 "bad" Jones plays. First off neither guy was really open. I blame Garretts scheme here more than anything. He ran a little set of routes, and it seemed like Denver was sitting there waiting for it. Jones tried to throw it high, in a place where only Golladay/Rudolph could get it, so as to not risk a Int (smart move).

The two things I would critique Jones about are 2) the passes were obviously too high, so not good (but not an easy pass), and 2) could he have bought more time and looked back at the middle of the field to see if anyone was open. I think someone like Lamar, Murray, etc., would have tried to scramble a little and get back to the other side once he saw how tight the coverage was on Rudolph and Golladay. That could also lead to a sack too, so there really isn't a good answer here seeing that Denver D was sitting right there. So to me Garrett has to get more creative than this.


So the guy has to be wide open for Jones to have a chance? The final play Golladay is open for a touchdown if he throws right out of his break in the right spot. It’s the redzone you’re not going to get guys “really open”. All the good QBs turn that play into a touchdown.

Like I’ve said a million times, every QB on a roster in the NFL will have good throws in a game, Jones is the number 6 pick he needs to do it more than he does. I don’t need the two plays in the video to prove something, we have two previous years of it.

You’ll be making these same excuses in December so what’s really the point of having this conversation. What the Jones Cult considers “didn’t play bad” is subpar QB performance. Look at what Carr did last night, what’s your faith Jones can do that in more than 50% of the games this year?
RE: RE: RE: RE: Some of you guys are seriously getting ridiculous now  
Thunderstruck27 : 9/14/2021 10:51 am : link
In comment 15366136 ajr2456 said:
Quote:
In comment 15366111 PatersonPlank said:


Quote:


In comment 15366084 ajr2456 said:


Quote:


In comment 15366063 PatersonPlank said:


Quote:


watching a 9.5 minute video, the last 2.5 minutes are a guy pointing out some of Jones's mistakes (I bet there were more). So lets skip the first 6.5 minutes of good things, and just go nuts over the mistakes. You do realize he picked and chooses these right? There were more positive plays and more negative plays he could have shown. Hell the video could have taken any form he wanted (all good, all bad, etc.). He tried I think to show a balanced view.

Look I don't know if Jones is the guy or not yet. I see good every time he plays and I see bad too. One will win, and a decision I would hope will be made by the end of the season one way or another by the coaches. All I know is that watching this video doesn't prove to me anything.



Every single QB every week has more good plays than bad ones, you’re being obtuse. It’s how bad and the timing of the bad ones.



Not being obtuse. He picked these. I and you don't know if you lined up every Jones play the whole game how many good ones vs bad ones he would have. This guy just cherry picked a few good ones and bad ones to give a balanced view, and you are jumping all over it like this proves something.

So let me give my personal opinion on those 2 "bad" Jones plays. First off neither guy was really open. I blame Garretts scheme here more than anything. He ran a little set of routes, and it seemed like Denver was sitting there waiting for it. Jones tried to throw it high, in a place where only Golladay/Rudolph could get it, so as to not risk a Int (smart move).

The two things I would critique Jones about are 2) the passes were obviously too high, so not good (but not an easy pass), and 2) could he have bought more time and looked back at the middle of the field to see if anyone was open. I think someone like Lamar, Murray, etc., would have tried to scramble a little and get back to the other side once he saw how tight the coverage was on Rudolph and Golladay. That could also lead to a sack too, so there really isn't a good answer here seeing that Denver D was sitting right there. So to me Garrett has to get more creative than this.



So the guy has to be wide open for Jones to have a chance? The final play Golladay is open for a touchdown if he throws right out of his break in the right spot. It’s the redzone you’re not going to get guys “really open”. All the good QBs turn that play into a touchdown.

Like I’ve said a million times, every QB on a roster in the NFL will have good throws in a game, Jones is the number 6 pick he needs to do it more than he does. I don’t need the two plays in the video to prove something, we have two previous years of it.

You’ll be making these same excuses in December so what’s really the point of having this conversation. What the Jones Cult considers “didn’t play bad” is subpar QB performance. Look at what Carr did last night, what’s your faith Jones can do that in more than 50% of the games this year?


Per PFF
Daniel Jones had the 19th most pass attempts last season and the 7th most incompletions that were deemed “receiver fault” with 36.
So now PFF stats are good?  
ajr2456 : 9/14/2021 10:53 am : link
You guys kill me. So off just film PFF can assign blame to the WR and since it’s not Jones’ fault per them we take it as gospel. But anyone who ever puts a mistake on Jones is wrong. Got it.

You guys need to have some pride man.
Ha ha...  
Jimmy Googs : 9/14/2021 10:54 am : link
I love that one!

Can you post that stat each week going forward?
Selectively using PFF stats should be a crime  
Ten Ton Hammer : 9/14/2021 10:55 am : link
This place hates PFF when it says mean things about players we like, but we like PFF when it supports a claim about players we hate
Nah, I listen to you guys  
Thunderstruck27 : 9/14/2021 10:58 am : link
F PFF and their BS stats.
Another one per PFF  
Jimmy Googs : 9/14/2021 11:02 am : link
Dave Gettleman had the most 1st round picks at his disposal from 2018-2021, but none of the issues with the current roster are deemed his fault.
RE: Another one per PFF  
Thunderstruck27 : 9/14/2021 11:03 am : link
In comment 15366176 Jimmy Googs said:
Quote:
Dave Gettleman had the most 1st round picks at his disposal from 2018-2021, but none of the issues with the current roster are deemed his fault.


I can't argue with that. Maybe PFF ain't so bad.
Citing  
Toth029 : 9/14/2021 5:35 pm : link
Sterling Shepard as your #1 Wipeout in your career does not give a promising stool to stand on - and I like Shep a lot.

Tate was good for a few games. Slayton was a good rookie year and underperformed his sophomore year to coincide with being injured. Engram? 11 drops. How is this supporting case supposed to back up your claim seriously? Especially if you want to include Barkley who's been healthy for under 8 games while Jones has been under center. The other guys used? The exciting Alfred Morris, Wayne Gallman, Jon Hilliman and the youthful Dion Lewis. What a crew!
RE: RE: ...  
Ten Ton Hammer : 9/14/2021 5:39 pm : link
In comment 15365426 Sammo85 said:
Quote:
In comment 15365351 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:


Quote:


Jones looked like a different QB under Shurmur than he has with Garrett.



While he made lots of throws and some razzle dazzle that’s also where it got really crazy with all the turnovers. Shurmur let him play loose.


He was at least a productive QB on a league-average offense

Playing conservatively like this is simply losing in miserable fashion.

Eli tossed a ton of INTs too. If Coughlin had just neutered the offense to remove the risk of interceptions the Giants would never have gone anywhere.

If the way to get something out of jones is to let him play loose, then it's coaching malpractice not to. They will have gone 3 years with Jones and never learned what he is capable of.
RE: As a rookie Jones had 13 tds and 0 ints in the RZ  
HomerJones45 : 9/14/2021 6:23 pm : link
In comment 15365247 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
this offensive scheme is broken and unless there are major changes implemented by Judge the season is going down the tubes. If this offensive scheme remained I feel confident in saying it would serve whichever QB cycles in next poorly too.

Cycling Garrett out for someone else may make things better, like it did in Dallas, so I'd try that first.

btw the 4th and 6 was one of Jason Garrett's signature sticks routes. And not only that he got the play in so late it should have been a delay of game. The Bronco's DBs were literally in shell waiting to break on the ball around the goaline. It's hard to see in the 2nd screenshot because it's low res but the Bronco defenders hardly had to move and there were 2 of them breaking in on each NYG target regardless of where the throw went.

Link to the clip is below too.



https://twitter.com/bobbyskinner_/status/1437450025865449475?s=10 - ( New Window )
What Jones did as a rookie is no longer relevant. DC's have a book on Jones now- what he does well, what he doesn't do well, his tendencies etc; he's not a surprise anymore.
This place is crazy...  
EricJ : 9/14/2021 7:07 pm : link
apparently two things cannot be true at the same time here at BBI. We cannot have a bad play call and poor execution of that bad call all at the same time.

Here is the reality of what happened at the end of that drive..

We had first and goal and our Princeton coach calls a running play when we have not been able to run the ball at all.

Second and third down, he calls to over the shoulder jump balls which are low percentage. Our QB throws a bad pass on both plays.

I would bring in more wide outs and would spread the field. Thin out the defenders directly in front of Jones. Give him options on both sides of the field PLUS the option to run up the middle in the event that he sees the opening.
Watch those again and look at the O Line  
D HOS : 9/14/2021 11:52 pm : link
Those plays showed the pass blocking I think I saw all game.

Thomas seemed to be rock solid. Everyone else had good plays and bad plays, no one other than Thomas played consistently well. LG and RT seemed to have as many bad plays as good. Some of the bad plays, woof they were real bad.

Now back to the QB. On the run and fumble, why didn't he chew up grass directly to the stick on the right sideline? He's fast! He would have gotten there or gotten out of bounds, no dive necessary, no fumble. Instead he ran directly into two defenders, head first.
He has a little tunnel vision. Same as when he's throwing.  
Ten Ton Hammer : 9/15/2021 8:44 am : link
.
RE: RE: Greg put it best on another thread..  
HomerJones45 : 9/15/2021 9:09 am : link
In comment 15365764 Thunderstruck27 said:
Quote:
In comment 15365528 Sean said:


Quote:


What part of Jones’ game thus far makes him warrant the 6th pick in the draft?



Jones throws one of best long balls in the NFL and has top end speed. Again...the guy set records as a rookie...why did he regress?
DC's have film on him and have adjusted accordingly. Dave Brown looked like a different qb his first year too. Lot's of qb's have had good rookie years and crashed once the opposition could study strengths and weaknesses.
I don't buy the argument the film argument  
Eric on Li : 9/15/2021 9:39 am : link
is that also why Darius Slayton is no longer outrunning DBs? They certainly aren't double covering him and we certainly aren't taking any shots to know one way or the other.

No amount of film should make it any easier to physically run with Darius Slayton 1 on 1 than it should make it any easier to stop a well thrown football - which still continue to see from Jones downfield whenever he gets the chance.

I have no doubt like all players defenses have picked up on tendencies and adjusted but I find that as the reason for regression a lot less compelling than the fundamental adjustments we've seen in this offense (specifically the short route combinations and all curls bs). Here's a good stat from Bobby Skinner:

Daniel Jones v. Broncos

Plays w/ 2+ 15 yard routes
12/14 214 yards 1 TD
15.2 Y/A

Plays w/ 1 or less 15 yard route
10/23 53 yards 2.3 Y/A
2 sacks

I just don't know how it's not glaringly obvious about the simple fact that the more of the field we use, the more space our receivers get. And that Jones can deliver an accurate football when players have space. Nobody is saying they need throw 30+ yard bombs every play. Just use the whole field even if the primary option is throwing underneath.
RE: I don't buy the argument the film argument  
BrettNYG10 : 9/15/2021 10:18 am : link
In comment 15367232 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
is that also why Darius Slayton is no longer outrunning DBs? They certainly aren't double covering him and we certainly aren't taking any shots to know one way or the other.

No amount of film should make it any easier to physically run with Darius Slayton 1 on 1 than it should make it any easier to stop a well thrown football - which still continue to see from Jones downfield whenever he gets the chance.

I have no doubt like all players defenses have picked up on tendencies and adjusted but I find that as the reason for regression a lot less compelling than the fundamental adjustments we've seen in this offense (specifically the short route combinations and all curls bs). Here's a good stat from Bobby Skinner:

Daniel Jones v. Broncos

Plays w/ 2+ 15 yard routes
12/14 214 yards 1 TD
15.2 Y/A

Plays w/ 1 or less 15 yard route
10/23 53 yards 2.3 Y/A
2 sacks

I just don't know how it's not glaringly obvious about the simple fact that the more of the field we use, the more space our receivers get. And that Jones can deliver an accurate football when players have space. Nobody is saying they need throw 30+ yard bombs every play. Just use the whole field even if the primary option is throwing underneath.


This is interesting stuff. Thanks for posting. Were the statistics up top accrued in garbage time? Wouldn't seem like it because he was only 10/19 in the 4th quarter.

I think Garrett's offense is a bad fit for Jones. He isn't a great thrower in short routes. Get guys deep and spread the field.
Jones was 6-6 for 60 yards on the last drive  
Greg from LI : 9/15/2021 10:28 am : link
or 6-7 if you count the spike to stop the clock. I honestly don't know - are those counted as incompletions?
RE: Jones was 6-6 for 60 yards on the last drive  
BrettNYG10 : 9/15/2021 10:44 am : link
In comment 15367283 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
or 6-7 if you count the spike to stop the clock. I honestly don't know - are those counted as incompletions?


Yes, they are.
ok  
Greg from LI : 9/15/2021 10:47 am : link
So, without the garbage time drive, Jones was 16-30, 206
RE: ok  
Thunderstruck27 : 9/15/2021 11:01 am : link
In comment 15367311 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
So, without the garbage time drive, Jones was 16-30, 206


At halftime Jones had a 110 QBR
....  
BrettNYG10 : 9/15/2021 11:02 am : link
I thought Jones had a solid, not great, first half. I thought he sucked in the second half.
RE: RE: ok  
Section331 : 9/15/2021 11:02 am : link
In comment 15367329 Thunderstruck27 said:
Quote:
In comment 15367311 Greg from LI said:


Quote:


So, without the garbage time drive, Jones was 16-30, 206



At halftime Jones had a 110 QBR


So if we stop the game at halftime, we're in great shape.
RE: RE: ok  
bw in dc : 9/15/2021 11:09 am : link
In comment 15367329 Thunderstruck27 said:
Quote:
In comment 15367311 Greg from LI said:


Quote:


So, without the garbage time drive, Jones was 16-30, 206



At halftime Jones had a 110 QBR


QBR doesn't go over 100.

I think you mean passer rating. Which isn't the best metric.
look I am as mad as anyone  
djm : 9/15/2021 11:20 am : link
and my patience with this team has never been lower, but we do need to see more games before we declare anything. I'm guilty of this too, I get it, but we played one game here.

I'd probably be better off going to sleep for the next 3 months and not watching this crap, they likely are what they are, but yeah, it's early.
RE: RE: RE: ok  
Thunderstruck27 : 9/15/2021 11:20 am : link
In comment 15367338 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 15367329 Thunderstruck27 said:


Quote:


In comment 15367311 Greg from LI said:


Quote:


So, without the garbage time drive, Jones was 16-30, 206



At halftime Jones had a 110 QBR



QBR doesn't go over 100.

I think you mean passer rating. Which isn't the best metric.


Yeah, passer rating, thanks. My bad. I know it can be a wonky stat but in this instance since there were no INTs or big negative plays I think it's a pretty accurate measure of his performance. I mean..usually the first couple of drives are scripted plays so it is really about execution on offense. We only had 3 possessions
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner