for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: NY Post paywall

Victor in CT : 9/15/2021 7:44 am
have you guys seen that the Post now has a paywall for its sports columnists? Really sucks.
For some,  
section125 : 9/15/2021 7:48 am : link
but way of the world now.
So....  
DannyDimes : 9/15/2021 8:03 am : link
Journalism is my business. I have owned a magazine for 29 years and 6 years ago we went to an all-digital model. Advertising went from 6 figures per month to a quarter o that. It's a new world and for the world of media, it sucks. If advertising doesn't pay the bills, it's either close up shop or ask for money from the readers....

These writers don’t work for free and many have families  
Metnut : 9/15/2021 8:04 am : link
The old ad-model is dead and people are going to have to pay content they enjoy.
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/15/2021 8:08 am : link
That sucks. NY Post, whenever I think of it...'Headless man found in topless bar.'
Haven't been to  
fkap : 9/15/2021 8:20 am : link
a news stand in years. Can someone remind me if the paper version is free?
RE: So....  
Victor in CT : 9/15/2021 8:25 am : link
In comment 15367153 DannyDimes said:
Quote:
Journalism is my business. I have owned a magazine for 29 years and 6 years ago we went to an all-digital model. Advertising went from 6 figures per month to a quarter o that. It's a new world and for the world of media, it sucks. If advertising doesn't pay the bills, it's either close up shop or ask for money from the readers....


I guess so. Nobody buys the print versions anymore. Sad.
Nobody buys the print version anymore  
Giants61 : 9/15/2021 9:02 am : link
it's always sold out :Yogi Berra
RE: RE: So....  
EricJ : 9/15/2021 9:16 am : link
In comment 15367164 Victor in CT said:
Quote:
In comment 15367153 DannyDimes said:


Quote:


Journalism is my business. I have owned a magazine for 29 years and 6 years ago we went to an all-digital model. Advertising went from 6 figures per month to a quarter o that. It's a new world and for the world of media, it sucks. If advertising doesn't pay the bills, it's either close up shop or ask for money from the readers....




I guess so. Nobody buys the print versions anymore. Sad.


It doesn't make any sense to buy printed versions. You can get all of the info you need for free online.

I have a friend who used to be in the porn magazine business. They are out of business. Gone are the days of having the pages stick together. Now, you just have to wipe off the screen.
Victor  
Joey in VA : 9/15/2021 9:40 am : link
Try using Duck Duck Go, I use it for anything behind a paywall. It's usually but not always effective.
Who pays to read that trash?  
ZogZerg : 9/15/2021 9:45 am : link
..
Do you give  
k2tampa : 9/15/2021 9:47 am : link
your work away for free? Why do people think journalists should work for free and journalism companies should not charge for their product.

Lets make all sporting events free. Every concert. Every meal in a restaurant. Your next car is free. Same with your house or apartment. See how silly that sounds.
RE: So....  
Section331 : 9/15/2021 9:48 am : link
In comment 15367153 DannyDimes said:
Quote:
Journalism is my business. I have owned a magazine for 29 years and 6 years ago we went to an all-digital model. Advertising went from 6 figures per month to a quarter o that. It's a new world and for the world of media, it sucks. If advertising doesn't pay the bills, it's either close up shop or ask for money from the readers....


Exactly right. Google has completely dominated the online ad market, leaving little room for individual sites to make money. I'm sure NYP has a reasonable online only subscription. Before the internet, you had to buy the paper every day to read it, you can get an online sub for less.
The only one I pseudo have an issue with is Bloomberg  
bhill410 : 9/15/2021 10:00 am : link
Since the cost of 35-40 a month seems crazy to me. But I have zero bones about paying 10-15 per month to a website I frequent. If it means they can stay in business and their quality remains the same so be it. People overlook too that many of the blogs where they get their information from rely upon these primary source outlets as the base for their content. At someone point someone needs to pay the individuals actually doing the reporting.
Yes they do  
Carson53 : 9/15/2021 10:05 am : link
but it's for some of the articles, not all of them.
Most sports articles, you can still read for free.
It's their section called "Sports Plus" where the paywall
comes in or is involved. I just noticed a couple of days ago.
The post content is just not worth paying for  
larryflower37 : 9/15/2021 10:23 am : link
It's only a matter of time when all local newspaper content will be gone.
This paradigm is why I steered my son  
Hammer : 9/15/2021 10:52 am : link
away from continuing his journalism career.

I worked for the NYT for 30 years and got out 11 years ago after working 7 years to pave another path.

Journalism is under great stress and, for the most part, will continue to shrink.
my solution to this is tax Social Media usage on the major platforms  
MartyNJ1969 : 9/15/2021 12:02 pm : link
If social media was taxed for usage, all issues would go away like this and this country could finally build an awesome infrastructure and pay for any social welfare program out there.
I work for an advertising company  
aimrocky : 9/15/2021 12:44 pm : link
and one of our biggest ad streams is newspapers. I have seen circulation decline steadily over the past several years, although not at the rate that some may think. There is still a large part of America who subscribe to the local newspaper. Major cities may have seen large drops in circulation, but we continue to replace the decreased circulation with small, hometown publications.
RE: Victor  
Victor in CT : 9/15/2021 12:50 pm : link
In comment 15367236 Joey in VA said:
Quote:
Try using Duck Duck Go, I use it for anything behind a paywall. It's usually but not always effective.


Thanks Joey I'll look into it.
RE: I work for an advertising company  
Victor in CT : 9/15/2021 12:52 pm : link
In comment 15367430 aimrocky said:
Quote:
and one of our biggest ad streams is newspapers. I have seen circulation decline steadily over the past several years, although not at the rate that some may think. There is still a large part of America who subscribe to the local newspaper. Major cities may have seen large drops in circulation, but we continue to replace the decreased circulation with small, hometown publications.


I still get the Norwalk Hour delivered, but it's not truly local anymore. Hearst bought it from the independent owners a few years ago and ruined the true Norwalk/Wilton/Westport flavor. Its now basically the same as all the other town papers that they bought.
RE: Yes they do  
Tony in Tampa : 9/15/2021 12:59 pm : link
In comment 15367265 Carson53 said:
Quote:
but it's for some of the articles, not all of them.
Most sports articles, you can still read for free.
It's their section called "Sports Plus" where the paywall
comes in or is involved. I just noticed a couple of days ago.


Agreed, it's only some of their articles not all. And that's fine. As other's have said: They have the right to make money too. Problem is other than opinions of someone like a Steve Serby or a Joel Sherman, most of what they offer is simple game information that can be found on hundreds of sites and for free.

I like some of their columnists but it's not going to ruin my day if I can't get to them. I think most people are going to weigh the cost of paying for interesting but not vital opinions and just go to another site, blog, YouTube or talk radio.
Washington Posts says  
BH28 : 9/15/2021 1:42 pm : link
IMO it should be "Democracy Dies Behing Paywalls". If legit news is behind paywalls and crap is free is it really hard to see why fake news proliferates?

I get that journalists need to get paid but there needs to be legititmate news that is accessible to all. I am not sure what the solution is but getting people hooked on free news and then having to switch to paywall model is not working.

You need like 30 different subscriptions now to read news...
RE: Washington Posts says  
BH28 : 9/15/2021 1:43 pm : link
In comment 15367538 BH28 said:
Quote:
IMO it should be "Democracy Dies Behing Paywalls". If legit news is behind paywalls and crap is free is it really hard to see why fake news proliferates?

I get that journalists need to get paid but there needs to be legititmate news that is accessible to all. I am not sure what the solution is but getting people hooked on free news and then having to switch to paywall model is not working.

You need like 30 different subscriptions now to read news...


ugh...Washington Post says "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
Why would someone pay for left or right leaning news with current  
MartyNJ1969 : 9/15/2021 2:21 pm : link
Events? <—and thats the box joirnalism has boxed itself into. People sre not going to pay for content anymore because the polarization of news stories have already turned readers one way or another and nobody wants to pay to read how they lean politically or spiritually.
Two things I miss a LOT...  
John In CO : 9/15/2021 3:26 pm : link
Newstands and Record Stores. Used to read the Asbury Park Press, Daily Register, Post, Daily News, and Star Ledger every day when I was in High School. Mostly concentrated on the sports sections of course, which is why my fathers New York Times didnt make my cut:). Different times.

And Record Stores....I could spend hours just browsing, using the listening stations if they had them, or just finding albums that "looked" like they could be cool. Thats how I discovered the Replacements and the Del Fuegos:). At least there are still used record stores. Good times!
RE: RE: I work for an advertising company  
aimrocky : 9/15/2021 8:08 pm : link
In comment 15367447 Victor in CT said:
Quote:
In comment 15367430 aimrocky said:


Quote:


and one of our biggest ad streams is newspapers. I have seen circulation decline steadily over the past several years, although not at the rate that some may think. There is still a large part of America who subscribe to the local newspaper. Major cities may have seen large drops in circulation, but we continue to replace the decreased circulation with small, hometown publications.



I still get the Norwalk Hour delivered, but it's not truly local anymore. Hearst bought it from the independent owners a few years ago and ruined the true Norwalk/Wilton/Westport flavor. Its now basically the same as all the other town papers that they bought.


I’m very familiar with Hearst and the Norwalk Hour. Early in my career I worked very closely with the Hour. Once they were purchased, they were one of the other papers in their network.

The Greenwich Time does a decent job with focusing on Greenwich, and they’re in the Hearst network.
RE: This paradigm is why I steered my son  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/15/2021 8:09 pm : link
In comment 15367318 Hammer said:
Quote:
away from continuing his journalism career.

I worked for the NYT for 30 years and got out 11 years ago after working 7 years to pave another path.

Journalism is under great stress and, for the most part, will continue to shrink.


People look @ me like a weirdo when I buy the Sunday Times. Call me an old soul, but I like reading a paper in print.
Newspapers always cost money. Their mistake was ever allowing any free  
arniefez : 9/15/2021 8:15 pm : link
content at all.
RE: Do you give  
MetsAreBack : 9/17/2021 8:46 am : link
In comment 15367244 k2tampa said:
Quote:
your work away for free? Why do people think journalists should work for free and journalism companies should not charge for their product.

Lets make all sporting events free. Every concert. Every meal in a restaurant. Your next car is free. Same with your house or apartment. See how silly that sounds.



I'm not sure who you are debating? Totally lost.
Back to the Corner