for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Giants defense had second worst EPA week 1

Zeke's Alibi : 9/15/2021 9:01 am
Only the Browns were worse and they played the Chiefs and the Packers were slightly better, but played the Saints. The Broncos offensively are neither of those teams. The Giants offense was middle of the pack, which honestly is about what we should expect from them. And the last drive probably gave them a little boost, but overall not much. Graham and the defense need to get it together. Link below to explain how they come to the numbers. Is the defense the backbone of this team or what. I hope we see more aggressiveness this week as Heinecke can play but has been passed over because he does struggle to get the ball down the field.
Link - ( New Window )
Football is an aggressive game  
averagejoe : 9/15/2021 9:33 am : link
The Giants have become a passive team on both sides of the ball. No guts no glory.
We heard all last season how Graham was hamstrung  
Section331 : 9/15/2021 9:39 am : link
because he didn't have the CB's to play man coverage. After investing in CB's this off-season, that can't be an excuse. With a weak-armed QB, now is the time to go press man coverage, and pressure Heinecke.
Have heard of Expected Points concept but  
NYGgolfer : 9/15/2021 9:41 am : link
need to really consider how the Giant Offense can be middle of pack in Expected Points Added, or about 16th Ranked, but 30th Ranked in Actual Points.

The D was a Huge disappointment.  
ZogZerg : 9/15/2021 9:44 am : link
All off season to get ready for Broncos and they looked CLUELESS!
At the end of the day  
FanMan : 9/15/2021 9:54 am : link
There is still a major hole at slot corner and Jackson, let's hope, was hobbled by his injury. If not, what a colossal waste of resources.
I remember  
dlauster : 9/15/2021 9:57 am : link
I think it was the third quarter...

Inside their own 25, Bridgewater rolled out under pressure and threw a wobbly pass across the grain of the playing field and a Bronco leaped to catch it in front of two lost Giants defenders.

I knew that was the game right there.
Some notes from DVOA and Win Rate Stats  
JB_in_DC : 9/15/2021 10:04 am : link
Offensive DVOA was middle of the pack, Defense bottom. Offense needs to figure out how to get it done in the red zone, but overall could've been worse. Defense obviously was a huge disappointment.

Andrew Thomas was 2nd in run block win rate among tackles, Nick Gates 6th among Centers in pass block win rate. Overall Giants were 4th in Pass Block win rate, and 32nd in Run Block win rate. Based on expectations both are pretty surprising. Maybe we should run behind Thomas more??

Giants were 24th overall in Pass Rush Win Rate, 6th in Run Stop Win Rate. Azeez was 8th in Run Stop Win Rate among DE/OLB.
RE: At the end of the day  
Hammer : 9/15/2021 10:27 am : link
In comment 15367251 FanMan said:
Quote:
There is still a major hole at slot corner and Jackson, let's hope, was hobbled by his injury. If not, what a colossal waste of resources.


Weren't injuries the knock-on Jackson?
.  
Walnut : 9/15/2021 10:31 am : link
Environmental Protection Agency?
RE: Have heard of Expected Points concept but  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/15/2021 11:17 am : link
In comment 15367237 NYGgolfer said:
Quote:
need to really consider how the Giant Offense can be middle of pack in Expected Points Added, or about 16th Ranked, but 30th Ranked in Actual Points.


Game flow, the offense is barely on the field and put in bad positions. We probably finish around 20 if not for the garbage time TD. The offense wasn't good, but the defense was abysmal.
RE: Some notes from DVOA and Win Rate Stats  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/15/2021 11:20 am : link
In comment 15367263 JB_in_DC said:
Quote:
Offensive DVOA was middle of the pack, Defense bottom. Offense needs to figure out how to get it done in the red zone, but overall could've been worse. Defense obviously was a huge disappointment.

Andrew Thomas was 2nd in run block win rate among tackles, Nick Gates 6th among Centers in pass block win rate. Overall Giants were 4th in Pass Block win rate, and 32nd in Run Block win rate. Based on expectations both are pretty surprising. Maybe we should run behind Thomas more??

Giants were 24th overall in Pass Rush Win Rate, 6th in Run Stop Win Rate. Azeez was 8th in Run Stop Win Rate among DE/OLB.


Right and I think the garbage time drive probably knocked us up a few positions, but anyone watching that game and not realizing the defense was abysmal just has a massive gripe against certain players/coaches (not that they were good).

I said it right before halftime in the game thread when they only had 3 points on the board and got a bunch of smart-ass comments about how could a D be getting outschemed when it only gave up 3 points. Well letting the offense control the clock and Logan Ryan making an unreal play deep in the redzone is how you get there on the scoreboard.
They played a soft zone all game  
George from PA : 9/15/2021 11:22 am : link
No idea why
And I understand why we played it last year with how bad the offense  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/15/2021 11:24 am : link
was and lacking a second corner, but Graham is extremely slow to adjust to anything outside of his scheme (the Ravens game was a good example of that). It's the first game, but I'm starting to think this is a pattern. The interesting thing is we are going up against a team that will show if he can adjust. Heinecke can distribute to their underrated skill players and they can run the ball a bit. We are about to find out if Graham is truly the black picasso or merely a scheme guy.

We lost Dalvin Tomlison so we aren't going to win 1st and 2nd down as much as we did last year. Teams are going to be 3rd and manageable all year, we need to get more aggressive or we are just going to see high 3rd down completion rates all year. We'll also see teams much more willing to go for it on 4th.
Not sure what EPA is so I'll have to check with one of my  
Dinger : 9/15/2021 11:27 am : link
computa guys....but the thing about stats is they only capture the past. if that offense can stay healthy Bridgewater is a good QB. Shurmur is a good OC. They may not lead the league but they'll be decent.
RE: Not sure what EPA is so I'll have to check with one of my  
Zeke's Alibi : 9/15/2021 11:30 am : link
In comment 15367365 Dinger said:
Quote:
computa guys....but the thing about stats is they only capture the past. if that offense can stay healthy Bridgewater is a good QB. Shurmur is a good OC. They may not lead the league but they'll be decent.


They are a decent offense, but not nearly that good, missing Jeudy all year is going to really hurt what they want to do with Teddy at QB.
RE: RE: Have heard of Expected Points concept but  
NYGgolfer : 9/15/2021 11:40 am : link
In comment 15367346 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
In comment 15367237 NYGgolfer said:


Quote:


need to really consider how the Giant Offense can be middle of pack in Expected Points Added, or about 16th Ranked, but 30th Ranked in Actual Points.




Game flow, the offense is barely on the field and put in bad positions. We probably finish around 20 if not for the garbage time TD. The offense wasn't good, but the defense was abysmal.


Thanks Zeke, I had since read through your above link and agree. Wasn't considering how little the Offense was actually on the field.

Too many third and fourth down conversions by Denver hurt them badly, on both sides of the ball.
RE: Have heard of Expected Points concept but  
Scyber : 9/15/2021 12:10 pm : link
In comment 15367237 NYGgolfer said:
Quote:
need to really consider how the Giant Offense can be middle of pack in Expected Points Added, or about 16th Ranked, but 30th Ranked in Actual Points.


Don't forget that the Giants also went for it twice on 4th down in the 4th quarter when they were in easy field goal range (once from the 6 and once from the 21). The offense did enough to get 6 more points there, but due to being down by multiple scores, they had to go for it.
RE: RE: Not sure what EPA is so I'll have to check with one of my  
Dinger : 9/15/2021 1:31 pm : link
In comment 15367372 Zeke's Alibi said:
Quote:
In comment 15367365 Dinger said:


Quote:


computa guys....but the thing about stats is they only capture the past. if that offense can stay healthy Bridgewater is a good QB. Shurmur is a good OC. They may not lead the league but they'll be decent.



They are a decent offense, but not nearly that good, missing Jeudy all year is going to really hurt what they want to do with Teddy at QB.

Valid point about Jeudy. Their OL seemed decent and I think that could help Teddy and the rest mask for not having that weapon. Opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. Having weapons to mask a crappy ol
Effective Projected Area…  
Brown_Hornet : 9/15/2021 2:50 pm : link
…!
Back to the Corner