for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: Rolling Stone Magazine's new top 500 songs of all-time

DanMetroMan : 9/15/2021 3:07 pm
Enjoy
Link - ( New Window )
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: RE: RE: ......  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/15/2021 7:41 pm : link
In comment 15367952 Route 9 said:
Quote:
In comment 15367874 j_rud said:


Quote:


No offense but thats a lazy take. If you're willing to look there is some absolutely incredible new music out there. Loads of garbage but that has *always* been the case. I'm 39 and love tons of new bands. Every generation, as they age, bitch about certain things. Music is always at the top of the list. It's tired, it's lazy, and honestly, it's kinda sad.



You get what I mean. The contemporary music on the radio. The music that landed on that stupid list.

Of course. I used to have a radio show at my college and we were required to play obscure bands. Of course I know there are good bands.

But yeah. I have the right to bitch because what I do hear does indeed suck and I stuck to it.

Really? Lorde Royals? #30? GTFO here.


I just listened to 'Royals'. WTF? How is THAT top 3K?
......  
Route 9 : 9/15/2021 7:42 pm : link
And nothing's sad about it. 47 year olds listening to Billie eilish or whoever is.
......  
Route 9 : 9/15/2021 7:43 pm : link
I Lol'd at Missy Elliot over Purple Rain though. Funny.
Missy Elliott has 2 songs in top 100.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/15/2021 7:44 pm : link
Bruce has 1.

WTF?
RE: Re Missy Elliot Get Your Freak On.  
JB_in_DC : 9/15/2021 7:53 pm : link
In comment 15367873 Mike from SI said:
Quote:
These lists tend to suck in general for a number of different reasons. But as someone who knows a lot about some genres of music but little about others, they help introduce me to new stuff. Some of you guys would have heart attacks about all the old rock I've only recently discovered.


I think you hit the nail on the head with some of the motivations here in a fair uncontroversial way.

Would also add - for me a great resource for finding albums from different unfamiliar genres has been the RYM Chart Tool. Albums are tagged with many different subgenres and you click around, add filters for years, etc. Been a huge part of discovering music for me. And the crowd sourced ratings are a lot better than Rolling Stone lol.
RYM Chart Tool - Filtered to show top 80s albums - ( New Window )
They have to be trolling  
montanagiant : 9/15/2021 7:57 pm : link
How does anyone in their right mind put "Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own'" Ahead of Bruce, The Beatles, B.I.G, Prince, Otis Redding, Bob Marley, and The Temptations to name just a few.

This list is idiotic and had to have been done to generate clicks
When I was growing up like every Memorial Day  
Essex : 9/15/2021 7:58 pm : link
92.3 used to do top 100 best classic rock songs, it used to be stairway to heaven number 1 and Layla number 2 every year, with Born to run usually three to five. This list Stairway is 61, maybe I missed it but I didn’t even see Layla in the top 100, and BTR is 27. Weak list for classic rock entries
RE: They have to be trolling  
Route 9 : 9/15/2021 8:01 pm : link
In comment 15367976 montanagiant said:
Quote:
How does anyone in their right mind put "Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own'" Ahead of Bruce, The Beatles, B.I.G, Prince, Otis Redding, Bob Marley, and The Temptations to name just a few.

This list is idiotic and had to have been done to generate clicks


They need to get someone to be interested in their bullshit for every time they have to walk back on a story they blatantly lie about. It's kind of their thing.
......  
Route 9 : 9/15/2021 8:01 pm : link
and yeah. This whole list is Grade-A trolling.
RE: When I was growing up like every Memorial Day  
section125 : 9/15/2021 8:03 pm : link
In comment 15367978 Essex said:
Quote:
92.3 used to do top 100 best classic rock songs, it used to be stairway to heaven number 1 and Layla number 2 every year, with Born to run usually three to five. This list Stairway is 61, maybe I missed it but I didn’t even see Layla in the top 100, and BTR is 27. Weak list for classic rock entries


A Day in the Life was usually at the top with Stairway....
Showed the wife this list...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/15/2021 8:06 pm : link
'Crazy in Love at 16? Huh?'
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/15/2021 8:07 pm : link
I will say...they nailed Bobby's best song. 'Like a Rolling Stone' is probably top 5ish all time for me.
Stairway to Heaven  
Producer : 9/15/2021 8:12 pm : link
Is number one. Or at least top-5. Gimme a break.
Bahahahaha….  
trueblueinpw : 9/15/2021 8:19 pm : link
I’m just surprised that Lauryn Hill didn’t have the top three greatest songs. Or Kendrick Lamar. These list are just silly. It’s like a vehicle for virtue signaling. But, yeah, still fun click bait. Fuck Rolling Stone.
......  
Route 9 : 9/15/2021 9:05 pm : link
Eminem Stan should be #63
RE: Bahahahaha….  
Route 9 : 9/15/2021 9:10 pm : link
In comment 15367996 trueblueinpw said:
Quote:
I’m just surprised that Lauryn Hill didn’t have the top three greatest songs. Or Kendrick Lamar. These list are just silly. It’s like a vehicle for virtue signaling. But, yeah, still fun click bait. Fuck Rolling Stone.


I don't even know who Kendrick Lamar is!!
RE: RE: RE: ......  
j_rud : 9/15/2021 9:23 pm : link
In comment 15367952 Route 9 said:
Quote:
In comment 15367874 j_rud said:


Quote:


No offense but thats a lazy take. If you're willing to look there is some absolutely incredible new music out there. Loads of garbage but that has *always* been the case. I'm 39 and love tons of new bands. Every generation, as they age, bitch about certain things. Music is always at the top of the list. It's tired, it's lazy, and honestly, it's kinda sad.



You get what I mean. The contemporary music on the radio. The music that landed on that stupid list.

Of course. I used to have a radio show at my college and we were required to play obscure bands. Of course I know there are good bands.

But yeah. I have the right to bitch because what I do hear does indeed suck and I stuck to it.

Really? Lorde Royals? #30? GTFO here.


If you had said contemporary music on the radio I wouldn't have even bothered to respond. No arguments from me there, it's 80-90% garbage. Awesome you had a show, What kind of stuff did you play?
RE: RE: RE: RE: ......  
Milton : 9/15/2021 9:28 pm : link
In comment 15367954 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:


Really? Lorde Royals? #30? GTFO here.



I just listened to 'Royals'. WTF? How is THAT top 3K?
It's not even Lorde's best song...
"Feeling Good on a Wednesday" - ( New Window )
RE: RE: Bahahahaha….  
montanagiant : 9/15/2021 11:02 pm : link
In comment 15368030 Route 9 said:
Quote:
In comment 15367996 trueblueinpw said:


Quote:


I’m just surprised that Lauryn Hill didn’t have the top three greatest songs. Or Kendrick Lamar. These list are just silly. It’s like a vehicle for virtue signaling. But, yeah, still fun click bait. Fuck Rolling Stone.



I don't even know who Kendrick Lamar is!!

He did an SB halftime I think and it sucked. My daughter who is 25 at the time talked him all up and I thought he was shite and told her so. Her best friend agreed with me and it's been great teasing ever since
RE: RE: RE: Bahahahaha….  
christian : 9/15/2021 11:12 pm : link
In comment 15368176 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 15368030 Route 9 said:


Quote:


In comment 15367996 trueblueinpw said:


Quote:


I’m just surprised that Lauryn Hill didn’t have the top three greatest songs. Or Kendrick Lamar. These list are just silly. It’s like a vehicle for virtue signaling. But, yeah, still fun click bait. Fuck Rolling Stone.



I don't even know who Kendrick Lamar is!!


He did an SB halftime I think and it sucked. My daughter who is 25 at the time talked him all up and I thought he was shite and told her so. Her best friend agreed with me and it's been great teasing ever since


There are a number of questionable contemporary inclusions on that list, and I don’t remember his Super Bowl performance, but Lamar is one of the most talented musicians of this generation and won the Pulitzer for music.
Return of the Mack should be in the top-5  
Anakim : 9/15/2021 11:17 pm : link
.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Bahahahaha….  
Route 9 : 9/16/2021 12:56 am : link
In comment 15368185 christian said:
Quote:
There are a number of questionable contemporary inclusions on that list, and I don’t remember his Super Bowl performance, but Lamar is one of the most talented musicians of this generation and won the Pulitzer for music.


Who gives a crap about awards? Plus the real awards are for legends such as Steve urkel, Richard Simmons, and John Cena.
RE: The Top 100 :  
Route 9 : 9/16/2021 12:57 am : link
In comment 15367908 Grey Pilgrim said:
Quote:
100. Bob Dylan, 'Blowin' in the Wind' 1963
99. Bee Gees, 'Stayin' Alive' 1977
98. The Beatles, 'In My Life' 1965
97. Patti Smith, 'Gloria' 1975
96. Jay-Z, '99 Problems' 2003
95. Oasis, 'Wonderwall' 1995
94. Whitney Houston, 'I Will Always Love You' 1992
93. Kelly Clarkson, 'Since U Been Gone' 2004
92. Little Richard, 'Good Golly, Miss Molly' 1958
91. UGK feat. Outkast, 'Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)' 2007
90. Aretha Franklin, '(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman' 1967
89. The Beatles, 'Hey Jude' 1968
88. Guns N' Roses, 'Sweet Child O' Mine' 1987
87. LCD Soundsystem, 'All My Friends' 2007
86. The Rolling Stones, 'Tumbling Dice' 1972
85. Prince, 'Kiss' 1986
84. Al Green, 'Let's Stay Together' 1971
83. Bob Dylan, 'Desolation Row' 1965
82. Adele, 'Rolling in the Deep' 2011
81. The Velvet Underground, 'I’m Waiting for the Man' 1967
80. Ray Charles, 'What'd I Say' 1957
79. Amy Winehouse, 'Back to Black' 2006
78. The Four Tops, 'Reach Out (I'll Be There)' 1967
77. The Modern Lovers, 'Roadrunner' 1976
76. Johnny Cash, 'I Walk the Line' 1956
75. Pulp, 'Common People' 1996
74. Leonard Cohen, 'Hallelujah' 1984
73. Beyoncé, 'Formation' 2016
72. The Beatles, 'Yesterday' 1965
71. Tracy Chapman, 'Fast Car' 1988
70. Elvis Presley, 'Suspicious Minds' 1969
69. Taylor Swift, 'All Too Well' 2012
68. Chic, 'Good Times' 1979
67. Bob Dylan, 'Tangled Up in Blue' 1975
66. Simon and Garfunkel, 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' 1970
65. Earth, Wind, and Fire, 'September' 1978
64. Ramones, 'Blitzkrieg Bop' 1976
63. Dolly Parton, 'Jolene' 1974
62. U2, 'One' 1992
61. Led Zeppelin, 'Stairway to Heaven' 1971
60. Kate Bush, 'Running Up That Hill' 1985
59. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, 'The Message' 1982
58. The Band, 'The Weight' 1968
57. Sly and the Family Stone, 'Family Affair' 1971
56. Missy Elliott, 'Work It' 2000
55. Madonna, 'Like a Prayer' 1989
54. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, 'The Tracks of My Tears' 1965
53. The Beach Boys, 'Good Vibrations' 1966
52. Donna Summer, 'I Feel Love' 1977
51. Dionne Warwick, 'Walk on By' 1964
50. Daddy Yankee feat. Glory, 'Gasolina' 2010
49. Lauryn Hill, 'Doo Wop (That Thing)' 1998
48. Radiohead, 'Idioteque' 2000
47. Elton John, 'Tiny Dancer' 1972
46. M.I.A., 'Paper Planes' 2008
45. Kendrick Lamar, 'Alright' 2015
44. Michael Jackson, 'Billie Jean' 1982
43. The Temptations, 'My Girl' 1965
42. Bob Marley and the Wailers, 'Redemption Song' 1980
41. Joy Division, 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' 1980
40. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, 'All Along the Watchtower' 1968
39. Outkast, 'B.O.B.' 2000
38. Otis Redding, '(Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay' 1967
37. Prince and the Revolution, 'When Doves Cry' 1984
36. The White Stripes, 'Seven Nation Army' 2003
35. Little Richard, 'Tutti-Frutti' 1955
34. James Brown, 'Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag' 1966
33. Chuck Berry, 'Johnny B. Goode' 1958
32. Notorious B.I.G., 'Juicy' 1994
31. The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' 1965
30. Lorde, 'Royals' 2011
29. Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg, 'Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang' 1992
28. Talking Heads, 'Once in a Lifetime' 1980
27. Bruce Springsteen, 'Born to Run' 1975
26. Joni Mitchell, 'A Case of You' 1971
25. Kanye West feat. Pusha T, 'Runaway' 2010
24. The Beatles, 'A Day in the Life' 1967
23. David Bowie, 'Heroes' 1977
22. The Ronettes, 'Be My Baby' 1963
21. Billie Holiday, 'Strange Fruit' 1939
20. Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own' 2010
19. John Lennon, 'Imagine' 1971
18. Prince and the Revolution, 'Purple Rain' 1984
17. Queen, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' 1975
16. Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z, 'Crazy in Love' 2003
15. The Beatles, 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' 1963
14. The Kinks, 'Waterloo Sunset' 1967
13. The Rolling Stones, 'Gimme Shelter' 1969
12. Stevie Wonder, 'Superstition' 1972
11. The Beach Boys, 'God Only Knows' 1966
10. Outkast, 'Hey Ya!' 2003
09. Fleetwood Mac, 'Dreams' 1977
08. Missy Elliott, 'Get Ur Freak On' 2001
07. The Beatles, 'Strawberry Fields Forever' 1967
06. Marvin Gaye, 'What’s Going On' 1971
05. Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' 1991
04. Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone' 1965
03. Sam Cooke, 'A Change Is Gonna Come' 1964
02. Public Enemy, 'Fight the Power' 1989
01. Aretha Franklin, 'Respect' 1967


Thanks for posting this by the way. The site was giving me a fucking headache. 🗣️
RE: Return of the Mack should be in the top-5  
Route 9 : 9/16/2021 12:58 am : link
In comment 15368189 Anakim said:
Quote:
.


Lol!! That would always be playing during "glow night" at the bowling alley.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Bahahahaha….  
montanagiant : 9/16/2021 1:48 am : link
In comment 15368185 christian said:
Quote:
In comment 15368176 montanagiant said:


Quote:


In comment 15368030 Route 9 said:


Quote:


In comment 15367996 trueblueinpw said:


Quote:


I’m just surprised that Lauryn Hill didn’t have the top three greatest songs. Or Kendrick Lamar. These list are just silly. It’s like a vehicle for virtue signaling. But, yeah, still fun click bait. Fuck Rolling Stone.



I don't even know who Kendrick Lamar is!!


He did an SB halftime I think and it sucked. My daughter who is 25 at the time talked him all up and I thought he was shite and told her so. Her best friend agreed with me and it's been great teasing ever since



There are a number of questionable contemporary inclusions on that list, and I don’t remember his Super Bowl performance, but Lamar is one of the most talented musicians of this generation and won the Pulitzer for music.

Sure, now please explain to me how Kendrick Lamar's 'Alright' 2015 is a better and more influential song than "Tiny Dancer", "Good Vibrations", "Stairway to Heaven", "Jolene", "The Tracks of My Tears, "Suspicious Minds", or even Tracy Chapmans "I got a fast car"?

Seriously, there is no cogent rational for that argument.
RE: RE: The Top 100 :  
Grey Pilgrim : 9/16/2021 7:17 am : link
In comment 15368222 Route 9 said:
Quote:
In comment 15367908 Grey Pilgrim said:


Quote:


100. Bob Dylan, 'Blowin' in the Wind' 1963
99. Bee Gees, 'Stayin' Alive' 1977
98. The Beatles, 'In My Life' 1965
97. Patti Smith, 'Gloria' 1975
96. Jay-Z, '99 Problems' 2003
95. Oasis, 'Wonderwall' 1995
94. Whitney Houston, 'I Will Always Love You' 1992
93. Kelly Clarkson, 'Since U Been Gone' 2004
92. Little Richard, 'Good Golly, Miss Molly' 1958
91. UGK feat. Outkast, 'Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)' 2007
90. Aretha Franklin, '(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman' 1967
89. The Beatles, 'Hey Jude' 1968
88. Guns N' Roses, 'Sweet Child O' Mine' 1987
87. LCD Soundsystem, 'All My Friends' 2007
86. The Rolling Stones, 'Tumbling Dice' 1972
85. Prince, 'Kiss' 1986
84. Al Green, 'Let's Stay Together' 1971
83. Bob Dylan, 'Desolation Row' 1965
82. Adele, 'Rolling in the Deep' 2011
81. The Velvet Underground, 'I’m Waiting for the Man' 1967
80. Ray Charles, 'What'd I Say' 1957
79. Amy Winehouse, 'Back to Black' 2006
78. The Four Tops, 'Reach Out (I'll Be There)' 1967
77. The Modern Lovers, 'Roadrunner' 1976
76. Johnny Cash, 'I Walk the Line' 1956
75. Pulp, 'Common People' 1996
74. Leonard Cohen, 'Hallelujah' 1984
73. Beyoncé, 'Formation' 2016
72. The Beatles, 'Yesterday' 1965
71. Tracy Chapman, 'Fast Car' 1988
70. Elvis Presley, 'Suspicious Minds' 1969
69. Taylor Swift, 'All Too Well' 2012
68. Chic, 'Good Times' 1979
67. Bob Dylan, 'Tangled Up in Blue' 1975
66. Simon and Garfunkel, 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' 1970
65. Earth, Wind, and Fire, 'September' 1978
64. Ramones, 'Blitzkrieg Bop' 1976
63. Dolly Parton, 'Jolene' 1974
62. U2, 'One' 1992
61. Led Zeppelin, 'Stairway to Heaven' 1971
60. Kate Bush, 'Running Up That Hill' 1985
59. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, 'The Message' 1982
58. The Band, 'The Weight' 1968
57. Sly and the Family Stone, 'Family Affair' 1971
56. Missy Elliott, 'Work It' 2000
55. Madonna, 'Like a Prayer' 1989
54. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, 'The Tracks of My Tears' 1965
53. The Beach Boys, 'Good Vibrations' 1966
52. Donna Summer, 'I Feel Love' 1977
51. Dionne Warwick, 'Walk on By' 1964
50. Daddy Yankee feat. Glory, 'Gasolina' 2010
49. Lauryn Hill, 'Doo Wop (That Thing)' 1998
48. Radiohead, 'Idioteque' 2000
47. Elton John, 'Tiny Dancer' 1972
46. M.I.A., 'Paper Planes' 2008
45. Kendrick Lamar, 'Alright' 2015
44. Michael Jackson, 'Billie Jean' 1982
43. The Temptations, 'My Girl' 1965
42. Bob Marley and the Wailers, 'Redemption Song' 1980
41. Joy Division, 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' 1980
40. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, 'All Along the Watchtower' 1968
39. Outkast, 'B.O.B.' 2000
38. Otis Redding, '(Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay' 1967
37. Prince and the Revolution, 'When Doves Cry' 1984
36. The White Stripes, 'Seven Nation Army' 2003
35. Little Richard, 'Tutti-Frutti' 1955
34. James Brown, 'Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag' 1966
33. Chuck Berry, 'Johnny B. Goode' 1958
32. Notorious B.I.G., 'Juicy' 1994
31. The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' 1965
30. Lorde, 'Royals' 2011
29. Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg, 'Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang' 1992
28. Talking Heads, 'Once in a Lifetime' 1980
27. Bruce Springsteen, 'Born to Run' 1975
26. Joni Mitchell, 'A Case of You' 1971
25. Kanye West feat. Pusha T, 'Runaway' 2010
24. The Beatles, 'A Day in the Life' 1967
23. David Bowie, 'Heroes' 1977
22. The Ronettes, 'Be My Baby' 1963
21. Billie Holiday, 'Strange Fruit' 1939
20. Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own' 2010
19. John Lennon, 'Imagine' 1971
18. Prince and the Revolution, 'Purple Rain' 1984
17. Queen, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' 1975
16. Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z, 'Crazy in Love' 2003
15. The Beatles, 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' 1963
14. The Kinks, 'Waterloo Sunset' 1967
13. The Rolling Stones, 'Gimme Shelter' 1969
12. Stevie Wonder, 'Superstition' 1972
11. The Beach Boys, 'God Only Knows' 1966
10. Outkast, 'Hey Ya!' 2003
09. Fleetwood Mac, 'Dreams' 1977
08. Missy Elliott, 'Get Ur Freak On' 2001
07. The Beatles, 'Strawberry Fields Forever' 1967
06. Marvin Gaye, 'What’s Going On' 1971
05. Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' 1991
04. Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone' 1965
03. Sam Cooke, 'A Change Is Gonna Come' 1964
02. Public Enemy, 'Fight the Power' 1989
01. Aretha Franklin, 'Respect' 1967



Thanks for posting this by the way. The site was giving me a fucking headache. 🗣️


No prob.
Comfortably numb and stairway to heaven should at least be in the top  
DC Gmen Fan : 9/16/2021 7:32 am : link
50
I think this list is a disaster but  
larryflower37 : 9/16/2021 8:52 am : link
The hate for Kendrick Lamar is off base.
Good kid, M.A.A.D city is a great album.
Can listen to it back to front. Also Damn is pretty good.
I think he is top 3 hip hop artists of the last 10 years
I can't take a list like this seriously  
AJ23 : 9/16/2021 9:12 am : link
You've got to score each song independently and then see where they fall, and justify it that way.

I'm a huge Kanye West fan, but when I scrolled up to see 'Runaway' ahead of Joni Mitchell 'A Case of You,' it made me feel filthy.
Also, #20???  
Greg from LI : 9/16/2021 9:15 am : link
Who the hell is Robyn?? I get that I'm not the target audience here but I have never even heard of her in my life.
RE: Missy Elliott has 2 songs in top 100.  
Dr. D : 9/16/2021 9:26 am : link
In comment 15367959 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
Bruce has 1.

WTF?

The Who have 0
.  
Banks : 9/16/2021 9:58 am : link
lol, I love Hey Ya, but I don't think that was a top 10 song in 2003 let alone all time
..  
Named Later : 9/16/2021 10:13 am : link
Looks like that List was written by 100 random people and each of them picked 5 random songs.

Their Top 100 is a pretty good -- they're OPS'ing (OK Pop Songs) about .800 on the Top 100.

The Who have a total of 3 in the top 500  
Dr. D : 9/16/2021 10:56 am : link
and 0 in the top 150.

In the 500, unless I missed, there was also 0 Jethro Tull, 0 Yes, 0 Deep Purple and I think only 2 Pink Floyd.

I wasn't expecting much, but Rolling Stone didn't even meet my low expectations.
RE: RE: RE: RE: ......  
Azul Grande : 9/16/2021 11:46 am : link
In comment 15367954 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
In comment 15367952 Route 9 said:


Quote:


In comment 15367874 j_rud said:


Quote:


No offense but thats a lazy take. If you're willing to look there is some absolutely incredible new music out there. Loads of garbage but that has *always* been the case. I'm 39 and love tons of new bands. Every generation, as they age, bitch about certain things. Music is always at the top of the list. It's tired, it's lazy, and honestly, it's kinda sad.



You get what I mean. The contemporary music on the radio. The music that landed on that stupid list.

Of course. I used to have a radio show at my college and we were required to play obscure bands. Of course I know there are good bands.

But yeah. I have the right to bitch because what I do hear does indeed suck and I stuck to it.

Really? Lorde Royals? #30? GTFO here.



I just listened to 'Royals'. WTF? How is THAT top 3K?


many current music execs suggest Royals kicked off the entire modern pop sound. ive heard convincing explanations that in a lot of ways it’s the most important pop song of the last 10 years.
RE: .  
Route 9 : 9/16/2021 12:00 pm : link
In comment 15368364 Banks said:
Quote:
lol, I love Hey Ya, but I don't think that was a top 10 song in 2003 let alone all time


That song was so G. D. overrated back then and it still is today.
......  
Route 9 : 9/16/2021 12:03 pm : link
What is the modern pop sound exactly? I do remember catching one Billie eilish song and it sounded just like every other song I've heard on the radio. My cousin played a quick simple of the song for me and I really thought it was some pop song from 2001. I couldn't tell much of a difference.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Bahahahaha….  
christian : 9/16/2021 12:10 pm : link
In comment 15368224 montanagiant said:
Quote:
Sure, now please explain to me how Kendrick Lamar's 'Alright' 2015 is a better and more influential song than "Tiny Dancer", "Good Vibrations", "Stairway to Heaven", "Jolene", "The Tracks of My Tears, "Suspicious Minds", or even Tracy Chapmans "I got a fast car"?

Seriously, there is no cogent rational for that argument.


In terms of popularity and immediate influence on contemporary music, it’s one of the the most important songs of that decade. To be determined if it stands the test of time like the handful of songs you posted.

There are some strange contemporary inclusions on that. An avant garde, well respected artist like Lamar isn’t the one to narrow in on from my view.
RE: Also, #20???  
montanagiant : 9/16/2021 12:33 pm : link
In comment 15368313 Greg from LI said:
Quote:
Who the hell is Robyn?? I get that I'm not the target audience here but I have never even heard of her in my life.

LOL...That was my whole point in my first post in here. Go listen to the crap song they claim is #20, it's horrible
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Bahahahaha….  
montanagiant : 9/16/2021 12:34 pm : link
In comment 15368581 christian said:
Quote:
In comment 15368224 montanagiant said:


Quote:


Sure, now please explain to me how Kendrick Lamar's 'Alright' 2015 is a better and more influential song than "Tiny Dancer", "Good Vibrations", "Stairway to Heaven", "Jolene", "The Tracks of My Tears, "Suspicious Minds", or even Tracy Chapmans "I got a fast car"?

Seriously, there is no cogent rational for that argument.



In terms of popularity and immediate influence on contemporary music, it’s one of the the most important songs of that decade. To be determined if it stands the test of time like the handful of songs you posted.

There are some strange contemporary inclusions on that. An avant garde, well respected artist like Lamar isn’t the one to narrow in on from my view.

Correction:
It was not the SB, it was the CFB 2018 National Championship game.
Utter trash  
Mr. Nickels : 9/16/2021 1:37 pm : link
Trash rag


Yes. Royals by Lorde is the 30th best song ever made. And Missy Elliot is 8th best LMAO
RE: RE: Also, #20???  
Mr. Nickels : 9/16/2021 1:45 pm : link
In comment 15368620 montanagiant said:
Quote:
In comment 15368313 Greg from LI said:


Quote:


Who the hell is Robyn?? I get that I'm not the target audience here but I have never even heard of her in my life.


LOL...That was my whole point in my first post in here. Go listen to the crap song they claim is #20, it's horrible



For some reason Robyn is HUGE about the hipster music journalist. Can't stand hipsters. My cousin is one. They will have lists of normal bands you like and then Robyn.. normal bands you like and then.. Fiona Apple etc
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: ......  
Greg from LI : 9/16/2021 1:53 pm : link
In comment 15368523 Azul Grande said:
Quote:
many current music execs suggest Royals kicked off the entire modern pop sound. ive heard convincing explanations that in a lot of ways it’s the most important pop song of the last 10 years.


And that's supposedly a good thing?
......  
Route 9 : 9/16/2021 2:08 pm : link
Worst song still is the "Bass song" about being content with having a big ass or whatever.

It's been 7 or so years since I've heard it at the gym and nothing has come close to it. Woof. What an awful song. Ariana Grande is down there, too. That "Bang, Bang" song was the ass of an ass.
......  
Route 9 : 9/16/2021 2:09 pm : link
Weird how 2013-2014 is almost 10 years ago lol
Wait  
GNewGiants : 9/16/2021 3:00 pm : link
where is "Call me maybe". Thats a song put on repeat in my car.
Regarding Robyn  
Anakim : 9/16/2021 3:18 pm : link
IDK any other songs by her, but "Dancing on my Own" is a great song. Is it top-30? Absolutely not. Top-100? No. But it is a great song.
RE: Wait  
montanagiant : 9/16/2021 8:09 pm : link
In comment 15368870 GNewGiants said:
Quote:
where is "Call me maybe". Thats a song put on repeat in my car.

I don't know but Carly Jepsen is an absolute smoke show IMO. Reminds me of the freak I lived with in San Diego while in the Navy back in the 80's
Great news  
JK123 : 12:55 am : link
I was amazed to find this thread and stopped scrolling, as it was the most interesting news. Selection of all the 500 music is really great and really evergreen of all time I think.
essay writer - ( New Window )
Going through the old list vs new  
bubba0825 : 7:39 pm : link
The new list has a massive recency bias
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner