for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: NHL Thread: Season Less than a Week Out

pjcas18 : 10/7/2021 7:50 am
just thought I'd start an NHL discussion thread - non-Rangers specific, but people can discuss any team (including the Rangers).

A lot of things to discuss:
1. Eichel activity picking up (LAK, NYR and LVG the rumored landing spots) I read yesterday it's beyond medicals at this point and the teams involved have seen them and are comfortable they have a treatment plan.

2. Two week pause in February for Olympics

3. Rule changes: not much, mainly just stricter enforcement of cross checking. Not sure how it will manifest, but my guess is two places - along the boards and in front of the net where cross checking has become almost an accepted method of play will become a penalty - early in the season expect a lot of those calls

4. Obviously COVID protocols, and cross border. The NHL has a lot of protocols for unvaccinated and fines or suspensions for missing those protocols, I'm not clear on all of them yet, but I do know in Canada if you are not vaccinated you cannot leave the team hotel for anything except team activities. Not sure if that's true in the US too.

Predictions? Expectations?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <<Prev | Show All |
Fox is the goods  
pjcas18 : 11/5/2021 1:00 pm : link
but so is TDA, giving him away is unfortunate.

Pionk, TDA, and Fox with NYR connections.

Quote:
Shayna
@hayyyshayyy
Diving into the best puck-moving and distributing defenders in the early goings of the season for @Sportsnet


https://sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/analyzing-nhl-defencemen-best-puck-movers-game/
8:10 AM · Nov 5, 2021·Twitter Web App



that Trouba trade sure didn't work out very well  
Greg from LI : 11/5/2021 1:06 pm : link
.
Lindy Ruff has to go  
Jay on the Island : 11/6/2021 10:40 am : link
Sharangovich received just 10 minutes of ice time last as he has been buried on the fourth line along with Kuokkanen who received just 7 minutes which is less than Gauthier who still doesn't have a point despite playing in every game.

Then with Hamilton out instead of playing Jaros or Colton White he plays the goon Geersten. I still can't believe they hired this guy over Gallant.
RE: Lindy Ruff has to go  
Stu11 : 11/6/2021 3:53 pm : link
In comment 15445146 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
Sharangovich received just 10 minutes of ice time last as he has been buried on the fourth line along with Kuokkanen who received just 7 minutes which is less than Gauthier who still doesn't have a point despite playing in every game.

Then with Hamilton out instead of playing Jaros or Colton White he plays the goon Geersten. I still can't believe they hired this guy over Gallant.

The defensive breakdowns on the goals were horrific. Severson played like he bet on the Kings. Even Graves coughed up a clear with 5 seconds left in the 2nd. Zacha and Bratt were the bright spots on offense. Zacha is going next level with goals in big spots this year. Blackwood looked sharp in his debut except for the 2nd goal which he should have had. Agreed on the playing time. Sharengovich is obviously in Le chateau bow wow. We need his scoring especially without Jack. He needs to be a top 6 fwd.
No idea  
pjcas18 : 11/6/2021 4:38 pm : link
why teams continually recycle coaches.

never a fan of Ruff in any capacity. I did think it was funny when rangers fans used to blame Ruff for the defense deficiencies last year when they were running out guys like Brendan Smith, Marc Staal, and young guys like Miller. Like it was Ruff's defense "scheme" that was the cause of the defensive woes.
Last night was the first time I ever saw  
PetesHereNow : 11/6/2021 5:31 pm : link
a NHL defenseman literally fail on everything he tried to do for an entire game. If you were making an instructional video of what not to do as a NHL defenseman, just show a DVD of Damon Severson's game last night vs. the Kings.
Miles Wood had hip surgery today  
Stu11 : 11/8/2021 12:42 pm : link
He's someone that low key we really miss. I know you're not a huge fan Jay but we really miss his speed and size in front of the net. We don't have someone to fill that roll screening in front. Also we could really use his scoring. We really struggle to score goals. Dougie practiced today and sounds like good chance he's back tomorrow.
Lucas Raymond  
pjcas18 : 11/8/2021 12:47 pm : link
off to a really good start, he is going to be a star IMO.

14 points in his first 13 games.

And he's still 19.

Playing 3rd line minutes (but plenty of PP time), but just 4 of his 14 points came on the power play.

he's had some puck luck, but he's shooting 15.8%, so high but not ridiculously so.

RE: Lucas Raymond  
Jay on the Island : 11/8/2021 5:43 pm : link
In comment 15448499 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
off to a really good start, he is going to be a star IMO.

14 points in his first 13 games.

And he's still 19.

Playing 3rd line minutes (but plenty of PP time), but just 4 of his 14 points came on the power play. Here is a kid that doesn't have any weaknesses in his game.

he's had some puck luck, but he's shooting 15.8%, so high but not ridiculously so.

That kid is a stud. I was a fan of his in the draft but I knew that he wouldn't fall to the Devils.
RE: Miles Wood had hip surgery today  
Jay on the Island : 11/8/2021 5:46 pm : link
In comment 15448488 Stu11 said:
Quote:
He's someone that low key we really miss. I know you're not a huge fan Jay but we really miss his speed and size in front of the net. We don't have someone to fill that roll screening in front. Also we could really use his scoring. We really struggle to score goals. Dougie practiced today and sounds like good chance he's back tomorrow.

I am not a fan at all but you are right the Devils do miss his speed especially when they were forced to play Gauthier and Studenic in his place.

Now both of those players were sent to the AHL and hopefully Gauthier never plays for the Devils again. I look forward to seeing who they promote. I'm hoping for Jesper Boqvist and Tyce Thompson.

Some good news for the Devils it sounds like Dougie Hamilton will be back for tomorrow's game. I just wish that they could trade Subban and give his roster spot to Colton White who has played better than I expected. Ty Smith played his best game of the season next to White and it's obvious that he isn't a good fit next to Severson. Smith needs to be paired with a defensive defenseman. The Devils have several options there in the AHL.
RE: RE: Miles Wood had hip surgery today  
Stu11 : 11/8/2021 8:09 pm : link
In comment 15448914 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 15448488 Stu11 said:


Quote:


He's someone that low key we really miss. I know you're not a huge fan Jay but we really miss his speed and size in front of the net. We don't have someone to fill that roll screening in front. Also we could really use his scoring. We really struggle to score goals. Dougie practiced today and sounds like good chance he's back tomorrow.


I am not a fan at all but you are right the Devils do miss his speed especially when they were forced to play Gauthier and Studenic in his place.

Now both of those players were sent to the AHL and hopefully Gauthier never plays for the Devils again. I look forward to seeing who they promote. I'm hoping for Jesper Boqvist and Tyce Thompson.

Some good news for the Devils it sounds like Dougie Hamilton will be back for tomorrow's game. I just wish that they could trade Subban and give his roster spot to Colton White who has played better than I expected. Ty Smith played his best game of the season next to White and it's obvious that he isn't a good fit next to Severson. Smith needs to be paired with a defensive defenseman. The Devils have several options there in the AHL.

Jay I'd love to see them give Bahl a shot, but you're right White has been solid. Such a noticable difference with the goaltending now. We don't sniff even a point Saturday without Bernier.
Not much to argue with here  
pjcas18 : 11/9/2021 9:25 am : link
except Kucherov is out long term again, Crosby has barely played this year, and if EDM combined Draisaitl and McDavid it would be #1 line without a wing (lol).

...  
BrettNYG10 : 11/9/2021 10:12 am : link
The Ovechkin goal record is one of my favorite storylines to follow. He may only need two seasons after this one. I remember looking at the numbers in 2016 or 2017 thinking he had like a 30% chance, but I'd give him 60-70% odds now.
I think Ovie  
pjcas18 : 11/9/2021 10:19 am : link
breaks the record if he stays healthy.

He's on pace for what? 75 goals at 36?

If he gets that or close he'll be around 800 going in to his 37 year old season.

He will break 894 before he hits 40.

And not much different gp than Gretzky.

It's amazing how Ovie doesn't drop off  
Stu11 : 11/9/2021 11:23 am : link
Frankly he's having his best season in years. The Caps will never slow down.
Ovie will break it as long as he doesn’t suffer any major injuries  
Jay on the Island : 11/9/2021 1:08 pm : link
I had my doubts a year ago but this season he’s proven that he’s still a lethal goal scorer despite his age.
Because he was the  
pjcas18 : 11/9/2021 1:19 pm : link
star when I was growing up and he's the GOAT I sort of in my mind protected Gretzky as being the best goal scorer of all time.

But now that I'm less immature I have to allow that Ovi is a better goal scorer even if he doesn't surpass Gretzky.

The era we're in now with the bigger goalie equipment, different rules, a more global game, and in general a higher talent level, what Ovi is doing is scoring at the most impressive pace ever. IMO.

Of course Gretzky is still the GOAT and as impressive as Gretzky's 894 goals is, his 1963 assists is even more impressive. For comparison sake, Ovi has 600 assists as of today.

Assists are worthless, who cares about them?  
BrettNYG10 : 11/9/2021 1:26 pm : link
Ovechkin is ~152 even strength goals behind Gretzky, he probably won't catch that.

I agree about Ovechkin being the best goal scorer. Defense has gotten much better since the 90s as well. Coaching's suffocated a lot of offense out of the game and tightened it up.

Incredible stat I saw on Twitter: Pavel Bure had 59 goals with the Panthers in 2000-2001. The next leading point getter had 37 points.
Gretzky is an outlier in every way  
arniefez : 11/9/2021 2:08 pm : link
To my eye he wasn't an elite skater, he wasn't an elite goal scorer and yet is unquestionably the greatest hockey player in my lifetime. Better than Orr. Better than Mario, anyone else you want to name.

IMO if the early 80's Oilers team played in Toronto, or any city where money wasn't an issue, I think they would have won 10 Cups maybe more. Messier is arguably a top 10 player of all time and he was the 2nd line center. Paul Coffey is very underrated, talk about an elite skater he made plays like the Miller goal last night every night. There were about a half dozen other all star players on those Gretzky/Messier teams.

Gordie's prime was before my time. The best goal scorer I ever saw before Ovechkin was Mike Bossy.
Rough couple of nights in the tri state area for Spencer Knight  
Stu11 : 11/9/2021 10:18 pm : link
And the Panthers. Devs pump in 6 on him in a 7-3 explosion tonight. Andreas Johnsson with 2 more tonight. Devs had high hopes for him when they picked him up last off season and he was a bust last year. He's got 6 already this year and him and Zacha with 6 have been a huge boost for a team that struggles to score goals.
RE: Rough couple of nights in the tri state area for Spencer Knight  
Jay on the Island : 11/10/2021 10:24 am : link
In comment 15450449 Stu11 said:
Quote:
And the Panthers. Devs pump in 6 on him in a 7-3 explosion tonight. Andreas Johnsson with 2 more tonight. Devs had high hopes for him when they picked him up last off season and he was a bust last year. He's got 6 already this year and him and Zacha with 6 have been a huge boost for a team that struggles to score goals.

It's funny what happens when you remove two dead weights in Gauthier and Studenic from the roster and replace them with more talented players in Boqvist and Thompson.

I wanted Seattle to select Johnsson in the expansion draft but I am thrilled that they didn't. I was clearly wrong as he has looked like a completely different player.

RE: Rough couple of nights in the tri state area for Spencer Knight  
BrettNYG10 : 11/10/2021 10:26 am : link
In comment 15450449 Stu11 said:
Quote:
And the Panthers. Devs pump in 6 on him in a 7-3 explosion tonight. Andreas Johnsson with 2 more tonight. Devs had high hopes for him when they picked him up last off season and he was a bust last year. He's got 6 already this year and him and Zacha with 6 have been a huge boost for a team that struggles to score goals.


Why did Knight start both games?
Bobrovsky  
pjcas18 : 11/10/2021 11:18 am : link
left a game injured.
RE: Bobrovsky  
BrettNYG10 : 11/10/2021 11:18 am : link
In comment 15450704 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
left a game injured.


Thanks.
Not a bad 3 games for the Devs  
Stu11 : 11/10/2021 12:35 pm : link
They get 5 out out of 6 points with no Jack or Dougie Hamilton. Goaltending makes such a huge difference. With Blackwood and Bernier back it gives us a chance most nights. You can go over the lines and d pairings all you want, but one thing that hasn't changed on hockey over nearly 100 years is the need for good goaltending. There's no substitute.
RE: Not a bad 3 games for the Devs  
Jay on the Island : 11/10/2021 12:54 pm : link
In comment 15450780 Stu11 said:
Quote:
They get 5 out out of 6 points with no Jack or Dougie Hamilton. Goaltending makes such a huge difference. With Blackwood and Bernier back it gives us a chance most nights. You can go over the lines and d pairings all you want, but one thing that hasn't changed on hockey over nearly 100 years is the need for good goaltending. There's no substitute.

You're right obviously. Blackwood let a couple of weaker shots in last night but then he stepped up and finished the game strong. Blackwood and Bernier are exactly what the Devils were hoping so far. Also have you seen Utica? They are 7-0 with Nico Daws and Akira Schmid playing outstanding. I am so glad that Wedgewood is gone so these two prospects can split time in the AHL. This experience will hopefully benefit them where one of these two will replace Bernier as the backup after his contract expires.
Bobrovsky has been outstanding this season  
Jay on the Island : 11/10/2021 12:55 pm : link
He's arguably the current favorite for the Vezina.
I still think  
pjcas18 : 11/10/2021 1:30 pm : link
the Bobrovsky contract is terrible and more terrible since they drafted Knight #13 overall.

But Bobrovsky/Knight's start is a good example why it's hard to project when a player will be ready.

Knight has allowed 15 goals his last 3 games. Many he had no chance to save, but he has not looked as good as he did while serving as Bob's backup.
RE: I still think  
Jay on the Island : 11/10/2021 2:06 pm : link
In comment 15450820 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
the Bobrovsky contract is terrible and more terrible since they drafted Knight #13 overall.

But Bobrovsky/Knight's start is a good example why it's hard to project when a player will be ready.

Knight has allowed 15 goals his last 3 games. Many he had no chance to save, but he has not looked as good as he did while serving as Bob's backup.

Unless Bobrovsky plays like this for several years this contract will be terrible. The move was criticized by most and that was before they took Knight high in the first round. They would have been better off long term had they signed a cheaper stop gap to serve as the starter until Knight was ready.
RE: Bobrovsky has been outstanding this season  
Stu11 : 11/10/2021 2:13 pm : link
In comment 15450792 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
He's arguably the current favorite for the Vezina.

Interesting on the telecast they mentioned how they asked Jon Cooper if his Lightening don't repeat who was his favorite to won the cup and he said Florida. I can see it. They are as fast and explosive as any team in the league. Also after 3 Devs games in a week on ESPN + exclusively, I can say this- it's brutal. That ice level view they go to sans announcers for like a minute at time generally sucks. It dramatically reduces the view especially because you can't see half the net! The game announcers are comically bad. The studio guys are ok but last night they had 4 of them at once. What's the point of shelling out for a guy like Torts if you're barely gonna let him speak? NBC had a light years better production.
RE: RE: Bobrovsky has been outstanding this season  
Jay on the Island : 11/10/2021 7:06 pm : link
In comment 15450856 Stu11 said:
Quote:
In comment 15450792 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


He's arguably the current favorite for the Vezina.


Interesting on the telecast they mentioned how they asked Jon Cooper if his Lightening don't repeat who was his favorite to won the cup and he said Florida. I can see it. They are as fast and explosive as any team in the league. Also after 3 Devs games in a week on ESPN + exclusively, I can say this- it's brutal. That ice level view they go to sans announcers for like a minute at time generally sucks. It dramatically reduces the view especially because you can't see half the net! The game announcers are comically bad. The studio guys are ok but last night they had 4 of them at once. What's the point of shelling out for a guy like Torts if you're barely gonna let him speak? NBC had a light years better production.

I can easily see the Panthers winning the Stanley cup. In fact they are my surprise pick this year although it’s not really a surprise anymore since they are playing so well.
Former Habs  
pjcas18 : 11/11/2021 12:27 pm : link
and Team Canada phenom, turned JAG, makes NHL debut tonight. You never know, some goalie develop later and Fucale is 26.

Washington Capitals
@Capitals
· 38m
Zach Fucale will get the start in net tonight in Detroit, per Head Coach Laviolette.
Bob Murray  
pjcas18 : 11/11/2021 12:44 pm : link
resigns as GM of ANA.

checked into alcohol rehab.

Been with ANA for 16 years, GM for 13. I believe the longest tenured GM, if not he was definitely one of the most senior.

seems like it was forced based on an anonymous (?) complaint to the NHL tip hotline.

I have no clue what he did nor do I have any opinion of him, barely know who he is beyond GM of the Ducks, but man, you better hope your past is squeaky clean if you are in any type of leadership role.

RE: Former Habs  
pjcas18 : 11/11/2021 10:05 pm : link
In comment 15451438 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
and Team Canada phenom, turned JAG, makes NHL debut tonight. You never know, some goalie develop later and Fucale is 26.

Washington Capitals
@Capitals
· 38m
Zach Fucale will get the start in net tonight in Detroit, per Head Coach Laviolette.


Fucale with the shutout in his debut.

Good for him and i don't mean that in a pity/condescending way. He seemed like a good dude, under a shit load of pressure.
Fucale  
five5 : 11/12/2021 12:00 am : link
Is he worth a pickup in fantasy?
Happy for Fucale. Great story  
Stu11 : 11/12/2021 2:27 am : link
Love seeing his family there to enjoy it with him. Devs with another impressive win over a good Islander team 4-0. Unusually wide open game for Devs-Islanders. 63 total scoring chances. Blackwood was superb with 42 saves. Dawson Mercer with another goal now has 8 points in 12 games has to start getting some early season Calder love. Dougie Hamilton returns with a goal and an assist and 5 shots. He's had 2 goals and a helper with a whopping 15 shots on goal his past 2 full games. That's game changing.
RE: Fucale  
pjcas18 : 11/12/2021 7:19 am : link
In comment 15452073 five5 said:
Quote:
Is he worth a pickup in fantasy?

I guess it depends on why he started, was Vanecek or Samsonov injured? I haven't been paying attention.

As a 3rd goalie maybe not, but as a backup two one of Vanecek or Samsonov if it will be long-term maybe.
On my theme of the week- goaltending  
Stu11 : 11/12/2021 9:08 am : link
Some guys have really propelled teams to good starts. Binnington has rediscovered his cup form and surprisingly has St Louis in 1st. Merzlikins has been superb and has Columbus of to a good start in the brutally tough Metro. Revisiting the Dubois-Laine trade a year later both have gotten comfortable and off to really good starts with their teams. Unfortunately Laine hurt his oblique and will be out awhile. Didn't notice Edmonton was off to a 10-2 start. If Koskinen Continues to play like this they can contend. It's amazing how Draisaitl can go point for point with Connor Mac at times
RE: Habs  
5BowlsSoon : 11/12/2021 9:43 am : link
In comment 15451976 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
In comment 15451438 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


and Team Canada phenom, turned JAG, makes NHL debut tonight. You never know, some goalie develop later and Fucale is 26.

Washington Capitals
@Capitals
· 38m
Zach Fucale will get the start in net tonight in Detroit, per Head Coach Laviolette.



Fucale with the shutout in his debut.

Good for him and i don't mean that in a pity/condescending way. He seemed like a good dude, under a shit load of pressure.


Hey pj…..congrats on Habs win vs a hot Calgary team, and not Detroit.

I didn’t expect much from your boys this year:

Price
Weber
Edmundson
Danault

These 4 were soooooo huge for your boys all year and especially during the playoffs. It will take some time to replace them.

I was glad to see Ryan Poehling finally play in Mtr last night, albeit 8 minutes. I still think he will be a player for your boys.
Poehling  
pjcas18 : 11/12/2021 4:16 pm : link
is their center of the future. Suzuki is a star in the making, I think Poehling can be a legitimate NHL regular (with upside).

I misspoke earlier in the thread, it was reported that Carey Price was seeking mental health treatment not substance abuse, that was not that case. Not that it matters.

Quote:
MONTREAL - Canadiens goaltender Carey Price released the following statement after returning to the team following his participation in the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program:

"Over the last few years I have let myself get to a very dark place and I didn't have the tools to cope with that struggle.

"Last month I made the decision to enter a residential treatment facility for substance use. Things had reached a point that I realized I needed to prioritize my health for both myself and for my family. Asking for help when you need it is what we encourage our kids to do. And it was what I needed to do.

"I am working through years of neglecting my own mental health which will take some time to repair; all I can do is take it day by day. With that comes some uncertainty with when I will return to play.

"I appreciate all of the overwhelming support and well wishes. I please ask that the media and our hockey community continue to respect our privacy at this time. Your support and respect of this so far has been a critical piece to my recovery."

-Carey
.  
pjcas18 : 11/14/2021 3:51 pm : link
theScore NHL
@theScoreNHL
·
4m
Komarov leaves Islanders, signs in KHL https://thesco.re/30tPjiv
this is insane  
pjcas18 : 11/14/2021 10:08 pm : link
has there been a duo this good on a team with less success?

the last 82 games

Draisaitl: 52G - 68A - 120P
McDavid: 45G - 85A - 130P
RE: this is insane  
Jay on the Island : 11/15/2021 2:07 pm : link
In comment 15454180 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
has there been a duo this good on a team with less success?

the last 82 games

Draisaitl: 52G - 68A - 120P
McDavid: 45G - 85A - 130P

Just absolutely incredible performances from those two. It’s funny looking back at some who criticized Edmonton for giving big money to Draisaitl after they paid McDavid.
OTT  
pjcas18 : 11/15/2021 2:22 pm : link
dealing with the first widespread COVID outbreak that is impacting multiple games.

Next three Sens games postponed.

I understand the NHL considers game postponements a factor in their Olympic participation opt out.

Hate to say it, but I'd rather watch a fully-staffed Olympics than the NHL regular season.

OTT's postponements include both Rangers and Devils  
Mad Mike : 11/15/2021 2:29 pm : link
*
This is a heavy weight bout  
pjcas18 : 11/15/2021 7:37 pm : link
not much landed, but no one wants to mess with Chara.

Chara and Maroon at puck drop.
link - ( New Window )
Tough break  
pjcas18 : 11/16/2021 10:12 am : link
fans hated him because he was in a trade for a fan favorite in Buchnevich, but he would have been a fan favorite himself IMO.

NHL News
@PuckReportNHL
·
3m
INJURY UPDATE: #NYR forward Sammy Blais is done for the season due to a knee injury, per @NYP_Brooksie
and @renlavoietva
Is this weird? It seems weird?  
pjcas18 : 11/16/2021 4:05 pm : link
The Wall Street Journal
@WSJ
· 56m
The Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team is in talks to be sold to Fenway Sports Group, owner of the Boston Red Sox, people familiar with the matter say https://on.wsj.com/3cl3cSl
.  
pjcas18 : 11/17/2021 4:10 pm : link
The Daily Goal Horn
@DailyGoalHorn
·
2m
#Isles lose top defenseman amid struggles, Pulock out 4-6 weeks
Caufield  
pjcas18 : 11/18/2021 3:04 pm : link
back up in MTL.

Flyers lose Ellis 4 - 6 weeks

Barkov week to week
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner