for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

NFT: Knicks chat: Season starts Wednesday against Boston

nygiants16 : 10/18/2021 8:16 am
Finally the regular season is here and coulsnt come at a better time with Giants season imploding before our eyes.

Sounds like Noel is a no go for Wednesday but the good news is Robinson had no setbacks and felt good after his first game since breaking his foot.

I would assume he comes off the bench jjst to try and limit him a little bit.

Rotation as of right now:

Kemba/rose
Rj/quick
Fournier/burks
Randle/Toppin
Gibson/Mitch

As for the Celtics i have not watched them much, sounds like Horford will be out, Brown should be back in time from Covid..

My guess is they go small with Brown at the 4, Smart is their starting point, Tatum at the 3 and williams at the 5 but i have no idea who they will start at the 2. I really dont know their bench besides Schroeder and Prichard..
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
He will go with Rose.  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/18/2021 3:35 pm : link
Trust and comfort there.

Super pumped for Knicks hoops. LFG!
Fournier looked soft and uncertain in the 4 exhibition games.  
manh george : 10/18/2021 3:36 pm : link
Hopefully, it's just a matter of getting used to the new teammates. There is no obvious reason that his shooting and passing capability should decline that much.

On the other hand, it is important to note that in the thread opener, Fournier is considered a 2, backed by Quickley, with Barrett the 3, backed by Burks, not the other way around. If Fournier struggles to open the season, it wouldn't be an upset if Grimes gets 10 or so of his minutes. Thibs was ebullient about Grimes on Saturday, and he will get some time as a really good shooter and excellent defender--already a better defender than Fournier, for sure. The question then is what they do with Quickley, who still tends to be streaky, but the Knicks would still love to see him show capacity to play the pg when one of the two veterans wears down or gets injured.

As far as McBride is concerned, the reality is that he is probably on the wrong team. I think it will take one of the two veteran pgs being injured and Quickley playing the point poorly before McBride gets any burn this year. That's disappointing to me, because he can shoot, handle the ball and defend really well, but it is what it is.

It's just fun that they have so much youth, so much depth and so much talent at every position--and lots of draft picks to help facilitate a trade for a star.

Last point: I think Thibs has become convinced to use a small-ball 5 at times, with Randle at the 5 and Toppin at the 4, or vice versa. Lumbering back-up centers would go nuts trying to handle this.
Too many point guards?  
adamg : 10/18/2021 3:41 pm : link
The new look Knicks.
Fournier and Rj are interchangeable  
nygiants16 : 10/18/2021 3:41 pm : link
Just because Mcbride may not play a lot thisbyear doesnt mean he is on the wrong team, he will get minutes eventually..

Grimes is not going to take minutes from Fournier, Thibs is not playing 11 guys, Grimes will take minutes from IQ
McBride is on the right team  
larryflower37 : 10/18/2021 3:55 pm : link
If he is the real deal he gets to develop behind 2 all-star PG's
He is not ready to step in and get big minutes this year.
Let him develop
I'm  
DanMetroMan : 10/18/2021 3:59 pm : link
very high on McBride and he reminds me of a starter kit Kyle Lowry.
RE: I'm  
larryflower37 : 10/18/2021 4:06 pm : link
In comment 15420067 DanMetroMan said:
Quote:
very high on McBride and he reminds me of a starter kit Kyle Lowry.

Definitely a good comp.
Hopefully he can take over the PG in 3 years.
Some players around NBA getting extensions  
nygiants16 : 10/18/2021 5:21 pm : link
Bridges and Shamet get extensions from the Suns..

Brogdon got an extension from Pacers

Grayson Allen got an extension from Bucks..

Deandre Ayton wont get an extension from Pboenix
Huerter gets extension from Hawks  
nygiants16 : 10/18/2021 5:29 pm : link
..
From Hollinger  
DanMetroMan : 10/18/2021 5:35 pm : link
Mitchell Robinson, Knicks: One player who stood out to me physically was New York’s Mitchell Robinson, and not in a great way. The fourth-year pro looks noticeably thicker through the shoulders and legs, but I question whether packing on muscle was the right strategy for a player whose bounciness around the rim was his defining positive. A couple of missed chances at the rim in the Washington game made you wonder whether Robinson would have completed them if he were lighter.


Obi Toppin, Knicks: New York was trying to win on Friday and rallied from a double-digit fourth-quarter deficit with an interesting lineup pairing that had Obi Toppin at center. The Knicks have been reluctant to use Toppin this way and have three other centers that all have seen significant minutes. Defensively, this isn’t a great pairing, but offensively, it’s New York’s best lineup; it’s not even close. Toppin can put pressure on the rim like a traditional center but has way more perimeter skill; his ability to at least sort of hit 3s forced Washington into some uncomfortable matchup problems of their own. I’m hopeful we’ll see more of this in the regular season.


PROSPECT OF THE WEEK: Rokas Jokubaitis, SG, FC Barcelona, (rights owned by Knicks)

I’ll get to players from the 2022 draft in a bit, but this week I wanted to highlight the torrid start by the Lithuanian guard the Knicks drafted with the 34th pick in the 2021 draft.

At this point, European teams have already played several games, so we’re already getting an impression of who is off to a great start and who isn’t. The most notable outlier from the previous year’s performance might be Jokubaitis, who has exploded in the early going in his first season in Spain. Most notably, he’s been able to convert both frequently and efficiently inside the arc despite moving up to a more difficult league, hitting 20 of his 31 2-point attempts while drawing fouls at roughly double the rate of a year ago.

Some athletic limitations will always be there for Jokubaitis — he’s stuck on zero blocks for the season and has a grand total of nine in his six seasons of international basketball. But as a savvy midrange and paint scorer whose 3-pointer should be good enough, he looks like a really interesting rotation guard for next year and beyond. We’re still working in small-sample territory — he’s played 12 games — but his start is really encouraging sign for Knicks fans.
Thanks DMM.  
Mike from SI : 10/18/2021 5:48 pm : link
I'm fine with Mitch bulking up, not going to lose sleep over it after 1 preseason appearance.
RE: Thanks DMM.  
Del Shofner : 10/18/2021 6:50 pm : link
In comment 15420227 Mike from SI said:
Quote:
I'm fine with Mitch bulking up, not going to lose sleep over it after 1 preseason appearance.


Running the floor more and hitting the weight room less may take care of it naturally.
RE: Some players around NBA getting extensions  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/18/2021 7:06 pm : link
In comment 15420196 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
Bridges and Shamet get extensions from the Suns..

Brogdon got an extension from Pacers

Grayson Allen got an extension from Bucks..

Deandre Ayton wont get an extension from Pboenix


Sarver is going to nickel & dime again. What a buffoon.
RE: ..  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/18/2021 7:08 pm : link
In comment 15419014 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
Totally homeriffic predictions:

Bucks
Sixers
Heat
Knicks
Nets
Hawks
Bulls
Celtics

Realistic predictions

Bucks
Heat
Sixers
Hawks
Nets
Knicks
Bulls
Celtics


Nets that low? You thinking injuries to KD or Harden or both?

To me, it is Bucks & Nets as clear faves. I have no clue re. 76ers considering Simmons situation. I think Hawks, Heat, & Knicks are in the same win range area, 44ish-48ish. I think Celts could surprise, but who knows? Boston was soft AF last season. I have no feel on Chicago; I like Williams, but where's the defense?
RE: RE: ..  
nygiants16 : 10/18/2021 7:41 pm : link
In comment 15420316 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
In comment 15419014 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


Totally homeriffic predictions:

Bucks
Sixers
Heat
Knicks
Nets
Hawks
Bulls
Celtics

Realistic predictions

Bucks
Heat
Sixers
Hawks
Nets
Knicks
Bulls
Celtics



Nets that low? You thinking injuries to KD or Harden or both?

To me, it is Bucks & Nets as clear faves. I have no clue re. 76ers considering Simmons situation. I think Hawks, Heat, & Knicks are in the same win range area, 44ish-48ish. I think Celts could surprise, but who knows? Boston was soft AF last season. I have no feel on Chicago; I like Williams, but where's the defense?


I dont think the Nets will go all out in the regular season, they are an older team and with no kyrie, Harden and KD have to take on more of the load
RE: RE: RE: ..  
larryflower37 : 10/18/2021 8:17 pm : link
In comment 15420370 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
In comment 15420316 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:


Quote:


In comment 15419014 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


Totally homeriffic predictions:

Bucks
Sixers
Heat
Knicks
Nets
Hawks
Bulls
Celtics

Realistic predictions

Bucks
Heat
Sixers
Hawks
Nets
Knicks
Bulls
Celtics



Nets that low? You thinking injuries to KD or Harden or both?

To me, it is Bucks & Nets as clear faves. I have no clue re. 76ers considering Simmons situation. I think Hawks, Heat, & Knicks are in the same win range area, 44ish-48ish. I think Celts could surprise, but who knows? Boston was soft AF last season. I have no feel on Chicago; I like Williams, but where's the defense?



I dont think the Nets will go all out in the regular season, they are an older team and with no kyrie, Harden and KD have to take on more of the load

I don't agree KD and Harden have never been ones for heavy load management and I think they have something to prove this year.
I think you have the Sixers too high
The sixers are going to implode on themselves this year.
Embid needs to shut up and get in shape.
KD missed 37 games last year  
nygiants16 : 10/18/2021 8:22 pm : link
Harden had a bad hamstring injury in the preseaaon..

They are relying on big minutes for Friffin, milsap and aldridge as their bigs..

They are an older team, they arent going all out in the regular season
RE: KD missed 37 games last year  
nygiants16 : 10/18/2021 8:22 pm : link
In comment 15420435 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
Harden had a bad hamstring injury in the preseaaon..

They are relying on big minutes for Friffin, milsap and aldridge as their bigs..

They are an older team, they arent going all out in the regular season


postseaaon
If Ayton becomes available  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 8:16 am : link
What would you give up to get him?
RE: If Ayton becomes available  
Mike in NJ : 10/19/2021 8:31 am : link
In comment 15420793 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
What would you give up to get him?


Don’t know if it would be enough but start with Mitch and Toppin and not much more than that. Maybe a draft pick if needed but with heavy protections.
Ayton is an interesting test case  
Enzo : 10/19/2021 8:35 am : link
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on his game, but it seems like you can probably find guys who can give you 80%-90% of his production for 30%-40% of the cost.

Unless it's Anthony Davis or a force of nature type guy like Shaq or young Dwight Howard, I think you're better off saving your big money for lead guards and wings.
i dont mind hollinger but  
Italianju : 10/19/2021 9:28 am : link
if he thinks Mitch didnt finish a couple times around the rim cause he put on weight then he didnt watch Mitch before he put on weight. If its not a dunk Mitch has always had his issues, ha.

Also why do i care about Jokubaitis having so few blocks? Like that is the thing he points out as an issue? Does he play ok D and not block shots, i mean he is a SG, i dont really care how many blocks he gets, lol.
Anyone else see Tommy Dee  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 9:48 am : link
calling out the athletic for hiring Fred Katz and not a ckntent creator? then when Fred called him out Tommy Dee backtracked and now calling out people for twisting his words hahabahahaha
RE: i dont mind hollinger but  
JB_in_DC : 10/19/2021 9:57 am : link
In comment 15420890 Italianju said:
Quote:
Also why do i care about Jokubaitis having so few blocks? Like that is the thing he points out as an issue? Does he play ok D and not block shots, i mean he is a SG, i dont really care how many blocks he gets, lol.


Think of blocks for a guard like a leading indicator of general athleticism, strong positive correlation between general athleticism and guard blocks.
I wonder if other teams  
Enzo : 10/19/2021 9:58 am : link
have wannabees like Tommy Dee chirping about the team all the time. Seems like the Knicks have a few.
Who the fuck is Tommy Dee?  
adamg : 10/19/2021 11:14 am : link
Sounds like a toolbag.
RE: Who the fuck is Tommy Dee?  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 11:21 am : link
In comment 15421123 adamg said:
Quote:
Sounds like a toolbag.


He had a blog, i think it was paid for by SNY at one point, made up rumors and pretended he had sources for awhile..

he says this wasnt meant as a shot towards Fred Katz and said he jist wants to get content creators paid..

@ThomasCDee
The Athletic not hiring a top #Knicks content creator to cover the team is pretty fascinating to me.
RE: RE: i dont mind hollinger but  
DanMetroMan : 10/19/2021 11:25 am : link
In comment 15420959 JB_in_DC said:
Quote:
In comment 15420890 Italianju said:


Quote:


Also why do i care about Jokubaitis having so few blocks? Like that is the thing he points out as an issue? Does he play ok D and not block shots, i mean he is a SG, i dont really care how many blocks he gets, lol.



Think of blocks for a guard like a leading indicator of general athleticism, strong positive correlation between general athleticism and guard blocks.


This. Hollinger might be a hater but in this case he's pointing out his defensive limitations given his athleticism. I remember when Mannion was coming out, this was used as an example of this... 0 blocks over 32 games in college.
I'm surprised  
Enzo : 10/19/2021 12:14 pm : link
Harden didn't extend with the Nets. He can now be a free agent next summer - but there really isn't an obvious destination for him given cap constraints around the league. He could have locked in a massive number if he extended now, but maybe he's looking for even more money next year? I have no idea what his max is next summer, but it might be the biggest contract in the history of the league.
RE: I'm surprised  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 12:17 pm : link
In comment 15421266 Enzo said:
Quote:
Harden didn't extend with the Nets. He can now be a free agent next summer - but there really isn't an obvious destination for him given cap constraints around the league. He could have locked in a massive number if he extended now, but maybe he's looking for even more money next year? I have no idea what his max is next summer, but it might be the biggest contract in the history of the league.


If he waits and opts into his deal, his following max ends with him making 60 million
.  
DanMetroMan : 10/19/2021 1:26 pm : link
Ian Begley
@IanBegley
·
29s
Tom Thibodeau said Nerlens Noel remains doubtful for tomorrow. He said Noel was close to being ready to play early in camp but suggested there was a minor setback. Thibodeau said Noel is making progress, did a little more in practice today but hasn’t practiced fully yet.
RE: RE: Who the fuck is Tommy Dee?  
Ten Ton Hammer : 10/19/2021 2:16 pm : link
In comment 15421137 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
In comment 15421123 adamg said:


Quote:


Sounds like a toolbag.



He had a blog, i think it was paid for by SNY at one point, made up rumors and pretended he had sources for awhile..

he says this wasnt meant as a shot towards Fred Katz and said he jist wants to get content creators paid..

@ThomasCDee
The Athletic not hiring a top #Knicks content creator to cover the team is pretty fascinating to me.


The Knicks fanbase does a great job of producing their own insightful content. Macri, Knicks Film School, and others are must-follows.
The Strickland is another good one.  
Ten Ton Hammer : 10/19/2021 2:16 pm : link
.
RE: RE: RE: Who the fuck is Tommy Dee?  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 2:19 pm : link
In comment 15421580 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
In comment 15421137 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


In comment 15421123 adamg said:


Quote:


Sounds like a toolbag.



He had a blog, i think it was paid for by SNY at one point, made up rumors and pretended he had sources for awhile..

he says this wasnt meant as a shot towards Fred Katz and said he jist wants to get content creators paid..

@ThomasCDee
The Athletic not hiring a top #Knicks content creator to cover the team is pretty fascinating to me.



The Knicks fanbase does a great job of producing their own insightful content. Macri, Knicks Film School, and others are must-follows.


I think Macri is credentialed now..

Knicksfantv is my favorite right now..
.  
DanMetroMan : 10/19/2021 5:07 pm : link
Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA
Celtics injury report for Wednesday at Knicks:

Jaylen Brown is QUESTIONABLE due to Health & Safety Protocols Recovery.

Al Horford is OUT due to Health and Safety Protocols.
5:04 PM · Oct 19, 2021·TweetDeck
This Nets team reminds  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 7:56 pm : link
me of the last year of the big 3 in miami, Wade was getting older and they surrounded them eith older past their prime players who were basically done
RE: This Nets team reminds  
steve in ky : 10/19/2021 8:01 pm : link
In comment 15422089 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
me of the last year of the big 3 in miami, Wade was getting older and they surrounded them eith older past their prime players who were basically done


I'm glad KD didn't want to come to the Knicks. Personally I so much more enjoy the way the Knicks have gone about this rebuild. They are young and so much fun to watch.
Aldridge griffin and millsap  
GNewGiants : 10/19/2021 8:02 pm : link
Look like they belong at the YMCA.
RE: Aldridge griffin and millsap  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 8:05 pm : link
In comment 15422096 GNewGiants said:
Quote:
Look like they belong at the YMCA.


They are going to struggle this year, they wont be a top 3 seed in the east because their depth is old, but once playoffs hit they will be tough to beat because Durant and Harden will play 40 minutes
Joe Harris making 17 million is a joke  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 9:26 pm : link
dude is stealing money
Harden looks awful too  
GNewGiants : 10/19/2021 9:46 pm : link
He has no explosion.
KD on the phone telling Kyrie  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 9:59 pm : link
he is coming to give him his vaccine, they have no depth, 1 point from the bench outside of Patty mills..that is awful
Nets handled easily  
Del Shofner : 10/19/2021 9:59 pm : link
by the Bucks
RE: KD on the phone telling Kyrie  
steve in ky : 10/19/2021 10:01 pm : link
In comment 15422188 nygiants16 said:
Quote:
he is coming to give him his vaccine, they have no depth, 1 point from the bench outside of Patty mills..that is awful


How much of the cap do their big three take up? Probably harder to have a lot of quality depth with three contracts that size.
RE: RE: KD on the phone telling Kyrie  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 10:12 pm : link
In comment 15422190 steve in ky said:
Quote:
In comment 15422188 nygiants16 said:


Quote:


he is coming to give him his vaccine, they have no depth, 1 point from the bench outside of Patty mills..that is awful



How much of the cap do their big three take up? Probably harder to have a lot of quality depth with three contracts that size.


If they had Kyrie the depth eoukdnt br as big kf an issue but when you only have 2 now and the 3rd highest paid guybplaying is Joe Harris your in trouble..

Harden and KD can score 30 to 35 a night but who is going to be that consistent 3rd option?
When you got 40 million not playing  
nygiants16 : 10/19/2021 10:15 pm : link
it is going to kill your depth..

People just made it seem like well they have Harden and KD still no big deal, they are still the favorites..
off topic  
Mook80 : 10/20/2021 12:36 am : link
but the Westbrook Lakers trade is going to blow up in the Lakers face. He doesn't fit that group even a little bit. I know it's just the first game, but Westbrook was not the type of player they needed. He will do a lot more harm than good for the lakers this year
RE: off topic  
nygiants16 : 10/20/2021 7:02 am : link
In comment 15422243 Mook80 said:
Quote:
but the Westbrook Lakers trade is going to blow up in the Lakers face. He doesn't fit that group even a little bit. I know it's just the first game, but Westbrook was not the type of player they needed. He will do a lot more harm than good for the lakers this year


Yup agreed 100, i mentioned it earlier my 2 bold predictions is that neither the Nets or thr Lakers will finish as a top 4 seed..
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 10/20/2021 7:21 am : link
Is Mook80 the old MookGiants?
Lakers and Nets lose  
GNewGiants : 10/20/2021 7:45 am : link
Perfect start to the season.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner