As an FYI I’m writing this on my iPad and I usually write on my PC, apologies in advance for any formatting issues.
My non-emotional thoughts from last nights game, as usual feel free to share your own, comment on mine etc…
You can talk about the differences between good teams and bad teams in this league. The reality is that no team is perfect, the talent gap isn’t as big as people think it is and any game really is winnable. So why are some team’s so much better? Two reasons, they have players that can perform in crunch time and they get good at exploiting the other teams weaknesses.
Last night we ran into a good team who did exactly what they should. They exploited our weaknesses. Good teams exploit, bad teams get exploited. Period!
Very hard to go through a game last night bullet by bullet, because it was pretty bad across the board, so rather than do offense and defense I’ll hit some main points:
- What was the difference in the game last night? 3 things - TB’s offensive line won against our defensive line. TB’s defensive line won against our offensive line. We tackled horribly. You can shake out 80 little things but they all boil up to those three
- If you’re asking for a game that really exacerbates the issues this team has, you saw it last night. The hog mollies we’ve been promised got pushed around, we couldn’t get pressure on Brady and our WRs weren’t winning 1 on 1’s against an average secondary. This game was Dave Gettleman’s failures in a nut shell
- I’m refraining myself from getting into a diatribe about Garrett again today. Yes I think he was clearly out foxed by Todd Bowles but then I see a stat like WIll Hernandez being the worst graded out of 191 offensive linemen in the NFL. Is it coaching? Is it players? The reality is no one on the offensive side of the ball came to play last night
- Okay, I forgot about Andrew Thomas…..
- Looking at the defensive side of the ball it just keeps coming back to tackling and pass rush. I don’t think Graham called a bad game, I do think our players didn’t execute. The tackling has been an issue all year, it hasn’t gotten better and likely won’t
- For a coaching staff who has praised and preached fundamentals since they came here, the fact that we can’t tackle is embarrassing. Its one of the cores skills of the game
We move forward to Philly next week and really come up on what is the soft part of our schedule. We have a number of winnable games and likely won’t win all of them, but may get to a 6-11 or 7-10 record. I’m hoping that even if we have a strong finish like last year John Mara uses this game specifically to scout the talent on our roster (and the person putting it together). Tampa Bay showed us exactly where we are deficient.