for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: What are you eating this weekend?

Bill in UT : 6/24/2022 12:41 am
Starting off Friday with some new stuff from Milk Street- Suya pork and Jollof rice. The pork tenderloin has an African spice rub and gets pan fried. Then a pan sauce is made from the residue, with stock, brown sugar and butter and ground peanuts. Basmati rice with a variety of vegetables in it.
Saturday is blackened salmon with a blue cheese sauce, plus I'll roast a half butternut squash I have left over.
Sunday is burgers and I'll make onion rings with a big Vidalia
onion I bought last week.
What's up with you?
Today  
DG_89 : 6/24/2022 4:58 am : link
is the last of the pasta with broccoli I cooked Sunday.

Tonight? For some reason chicken and waffles popped in my head when I woke up this morning so that's what I'm having. Stopping at NY Fried chicken before heading home and I have a box of Eggo thick and fluffy blueberry that'll be defrosted and ready

Saturday is Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. Shaved steak with sautéd onions and mini peppers and queso instead of whiz. I find whiz too salty.

Sunday dinner is sausage and broccoli rabe with polenta
I am in the Outer Banks for a few weeks  
johnnyb : 6/24/2022 6:53 am : link
so I like to take advantage of the local seafood.

Last weekend I made crab cakes with fresh lump crabmeat. I may have to do that again. We also seared some tuna for lunch this week. Last night I made cheesy grits with shrimp and had neighbors over for dinner.

I may sear some scallops Saturday and make an Asian dipping sauce. Sunday may be more shrimp, this time in a Mediterranean red sauce with feta.

Lunch this weekend will be a sautéed soft shell crab.

Have to take advantage of what OBX has to offer.

Enjoy the weekend.
Happy Friday all.  
Victor in CT : 6/24/2022 8:22 am : link
Grilled swordfish steaks with Mrs. in CTs home made eggplant caponata, prob some grilled bread too.

Marinated flank steak tomorrow on the grill. Again, the Mrs. is on the job making the marinade with red wine, rosemary, garlic, olive oil. Sides TBD.

Out at a Christening on Sunday. Another Long Island trek ugh. Oceanside this time.
Will be heading to the Eastern Shore  
JB_in_DC : 6/24/2022 9:02 am : link
Will be eating a ton of oysters, crab, shrimp, flounder, and more.
going to Topsail Island  
Jints in Carolina : 6/24/2022 9:37 am : link
so whatever's there
RE: going to Topsail Island  
I Love Clams Casino : 6/24/2022 10:35 am : link
In comment 15740286 Jints in Carolina said:
Quote:
so whatever's there
A hurricane came through one year that damaged it badly...living room ceiling collapsed and after that he just "had it" with being a multiple property owner, sold all his rentals
RE: RE: going to Topsail Island  
I Love Clams Casino : 6/24/2022 10:37 am : link
In comment 15740388 I Love Clams Casino said:
Quote:
In comment 15740286 Jints in Carolina said:


Quote:


so whatever's there

A hurricane came through one year that damaged it badly...living room ceiling collapsed and after that he just "had it" with being a multiple property owner, sold all his rentals


whoa! dunno what happened there, but the beginning of my comment was "My brother owned a condo there for about 20 years, but then......."
I am doing a brisket and many racks of ribs  
I Love Clams Casino : 6/24/2022 10:39 am : link
having a big barbeque/trivia night at my place Saturday night

Brisket is requiring about 16 hours
Smoking a corned beef  
Sec_149 : 6/24/2022 10:39 am : link
Going to smoke a corned beef this weekend. comes out like pastrami
RE: I am doing a brisket and many racks of ribs  
Jimmy Googs : 6/24/2022 10:44 am : link
In comment 15740404 I Love Clams Casino said:
Quote:
having a big barbeque/trivia night at my place Saturday night

Brisket is requiring about 16 hours


nice
On Friday & Saturday I've got  
smshmth8690 : 6/24/2022 11:00 am : link
Blackened Swordfish with a Fried Green Tomato & Andouille Hash, and a Remoulade Sauce
Panko Breaded Pork Chop Milanese, with Jersey Tomato, Arugula & Red Onion Salad, Balsamic Vinaigrette, and Basil Oil
Sauteed Jumbo Softshell Crabs with Caper Garlic Butter, IF they do in fact come in. It's been a bad year for soft shells.

On Sunday I have a 7 Lb. Bison Striploin thawing out that I am going to cook whole (reverse sear) on the pellet grill to Medium Rare, along with Swiss cooked 2 ways, and some Marinated Mushrooms.
..  
Named Later : 6/24/2022 11:08 am : link
Dining out tonight at Lowcountry Louisiana, our local New Orleans-style restaurant....that's some dam good Jambalaya.

Right across the street is Commonhouse Aleworks...that's some dam fresh local brewskis. The house band tonight is Dan's Tramp Stamp and the Money Bags.
We are empty nesters this weekend as the kids all have plans  
Jimmy Googs : 6/24/2022 11:08 am : link
with their friends or are working. So tonight is date night and we are going to go see the new Elvis flick and then find a spot for a late bite to eat in town.

Tomorrow night we have another couple coming over for drinks/dinner. I am thinking a "getting a little surf n' turf action going" to quote one of my all-time favorite movies. So I am going to grill a few nice NY Strip steaks with an herbed butter compound and slice those up to share. And then add some grilled prosciutto-wrapped shrimp to go along with it. These things are awesome with a little marinade I brush on as they cook and get a little char from grill. Some good vino and music and we should be set. Maybe I will add Kadarius Toney's new song on my playlist for the right ambience.

Sunday might have to be something light like some simple grilled fish with corn on the cob and a tomato salad. We'll give that more thought depending on carb count between now and then...
Tonight, I am making Oaxacan Mole Negro  
bigblue1124 : 6/24/2022 12:20 pm : link
with bone in grilled chicken thighs using Rick Bayless recipe for the mole but had to sub out some of the chilies just not available is this area I started the prep yesterday for it it’s easy but labor intensive. He was a guest chef for us a few years back and made this for the guest’s and was a big hit. Serving it with a green chili creamed corn and cilantro lime rice and toasted blue corn tortillas.

Saturday, nothing special planning on doing burgers with hand cut fries and broccoli slaw salad trying to avoid leftovers we leave for the beach finally after a month plus of postponements for vacation.
RE: Today  
Bill in UT : 6/24/2022 5:04 pm : link
In comment 15740082 DG_89 said:
Quote:
is the last of the pasta with broccoli I cooked Sunday.

Tonight? For some reason chicken and waffles popped in my head when I woke up this morning so that's what I'm having. Stopping at NY Fried chicken before heading home and I have a box of Eggo thick and fluffy blueberry that'll be defrosted and ready

Saturday is Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. Shaved steak with sautéd onions and mini peppers and queso instead of whiz. I find whiz too salty.

Sunday dinner is sausage and broccoli rabe with polenta


Sounds like a nice combination of things. Enjoy
RE: I am in the Outer Banks for a few weeks  
Bill in UT : 6/24/2022 5:07 pm : link
In comment 15740104 johnnyb said:
Quote:
so I like to take advantage of the local seafood.

Last weekend I made crab cakes with fresh lump crabmeat. I may have to do that again. We also seared some tuna for lunch this week. Last night I made cheesy grits with shrimp and had neighbors over for dinner.

I may sear some scallops Saturday and make an Asian dipping sauce. Sunday may be more shrimp, this time in a Mediterranean red sauce with feta.

Lunch this weekend will be a sautéed soft shell crab.

Have to take advantage of what OBX has to offer.

Enjoy the weekend.


All that seafood sounds heavenly to land-locked me :) I made a shrimp/feta/tomato dish last week. You may have to pick up some soft shell crab for Drew.
RE: Happy Friday all.  
Bill in UT : 6/24/2022 5:09 pm : link
In comment 15740169 Victor in CT said:
Quote:
Grilled swordfish steaks with Mrs. in CTs home made eggplant caponata, prob some grilled bread too.

Marinated flank steak tomorrow on the grill. Again, the Mrs. is on the job making the marinade with red wine, rosemary, garlic, olive oil. Sides TBD.

Out at a Christening on Sunday. Another Long Island trek ugh. Oceanside this time.


Great to see you back at the grill, Victor. Did the renovation come out like you wanted?
RE: Will be heading to the Eastern Shore  
Bill in UT : 6/24/2022 5:10 pm : link
In comment 15740220 JB_in_DC said:
Quote:
Will be eating a ton of oysters, crab, shrimp, flounder, and more.


hey, why don't you just plunge the knife into me and twist it? :)
RE: going to Topsail Island  
Bill in UT : 6/24/2022 5:12 pm : link
In comment 15740286 Jints in Carolina said:
Quote:
so whatever's there


I took a quick look at the restaurants there- seems like bbq and seafood. Carolina bbq is usually vinegar based, I believe. I happen to like that. Have a great stay
RE: I am doing a brisket and many racks of ribs  
Bill in UT : 6/24/2022 5:14 pm : link
In comment 15740404 I Love Clams Casino said:
Quote:
having a big barbeque/trivia night at my place Saturday night

Brisket is requiring about 16 hours


I just got home from Costco and bought a brisket for July 4th. Enjoy yours. Flat or whole packer?
RE: Smoking a corned beef  
Bill in UT : 6/24/2022 5:16 pm : link
In comment 15740405 Sec_149 said:
Quote:
Going to smoke a corned beef this weekend. comes out like pastrami


What's the difference between making a corned beef like pastrami and actually making pastrami? I plan to make some pastrami in the near future.
RE: RE: Happy Friday all.  
Victor in CT : 6/25/2022 6:18 am : link
In comment 15740772 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
In comment 15740169 Victor in CT said:


Quote:


Grilled swordfish steaks with Mrs. in CTs home made eggplant caponata, prob some grilled bread too.

Marinated flank steak tomorrow on the grill. Again, the Mrs. is on the job making the marinade with red wine, rosemary, garlic, olive oil. Sides TBD.

Out at a Christening on Sunday. Another Long Island trek ugh. Oceanside this time.



Great to see you back at the grill, Victor. Did the renovation come out like you wanted?


Hi Bill thanks. Yes we're really happy with the job. Excellent work.
I ended up out of the blue making two really good meals.the last  
jgambrosio : 6/27/2022 8:44 pm : link
Couple nights. I have a cookbook called off the menu, it's supposed to be staff meals from restaurants around the country, but they're a tad involved for just being that... Very good mix of interesting meals.

Last night made a creole dish, dredged pork cutlet in a garlic, onion, red pepper and tomato stew served over grits.

Tonight pork tenderloin tacos marinaded in honey, soy, cumin and garlic. Corn tortillas, topped with red and sweet onion and shitakes, a tad of mayo with cholula mixed in, crema, queso fresco, cilantro and a dash of Tabasco.
Back to the Corner