OK.. my son earned some fish..
Jumping to the end and why I need help: Got him fish yesterday and 3 of the 4 died within 18 hours..
Here are the steps I took.. where did I go wrong?
1) Purchased a brand new 10 gallon tank; filter, heater, thermometer all came with the tank
2) Purchased gravel and decor
3) Brought all of the above home and thoroughly rinsed the tank, the gravel, and the decor
4) Set up the tank using cold water from my tap (it's well water)
5) Added Tetra safestart to get the Nitrogen cycle going (size said it was for up to 30 gallon tank and to use the whole bottle)
6) Added 5 mL of Tetra aquasafe
7) Set heater to 76 degrees
8) Waited 3 days
9) Bought 4 fish (3 tetras, 1 danio)
10) Let the bag sit in the water for 30 minutes for temp acclimation
11) Removed fish from bag using a net and put them in the tank (6 PM)
12) Fed fish at 7 PM.. they looked fantastic, ate right away and were very active
13) Son woke up yelling that he couldnt find one of the tetras at about 7 AM...it was dead
14) Wife came in and told me at 11 AM that the other 2 tetras were dead
I brought the water in with the dead fish for exchange/refund. Water was tested and everything looked fine. Petsmart employee shocked that tetras died that quickly even if something was wrong with my water
What could this be!?
Any help greatly appreciated!
I just replaced 25% of the water with 2.5 gallon jug of preconditioned water. The Danio is still alive but perhaps a little sluggish