for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFT: What are you eating this weekend?

Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 9:55 am
After some earlier discussion, I got around to making fideos with shrimp last night. Delicious. Used a Milk Street recipe
Tonight I'm making eggplant pecorino, a riff on eggplant parm, with pecorino romamo and provolone.
Saturday is another wine pairing dinner, I'm bringing dessert. I'm going with a recipe I saw recently on a Rachel Khoo show-Black Forest Gateau Bowls. The interesting part will be making dark chocolate bowls by dipping blown up balloons into melted chocolate and letting it harden. The bowls are then filled with pieces of chocolate sheet cake, cherries and whipped cream.
Sunday is Rosh Hashana dinner and Mrs. in UT always does that. She made her oven brisket with ketchup and onion sauce yesterday and today is chicken soup.
What are you all up to?
Pot Roast with Root Vegetables  
PhilSimms15 : 9/23/2022 10:35 am : link
I am making this awesome recipe from America's Test Kitchen, it's a pot roast with root vegetables

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/13216-one-pot-simple-pot-roast-with-root-vegetables?incode=MASAD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_1

and for deserts I am making, cakes, cream cheese brownies, also from ATK
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/594-cakey-cream-cheese-brownies?t=1663943656
hi guys. sounds like a comfort food weekend, love it  
Victor in CT : 9/23/2022 11:12 am : link
Happy Rosh Hashanah Bill and all who celebrate.

Cool weather here, so will be having stuffed breast of veal on Sunday (stuffed with bread, grated reggiano, eggs, parsley and cubed prosciutto), slow cook tented with chicken broth and white wine for 90 mins or so, then untent to brown last half hour. Linguine with garlic and oil on the side and a salad.

grilled NY Strips tomorrow, sides TBD.

not sure tonight. Shop Rite has fresh wild caught jumbo shrimp on special so may do that with garlic, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts over penne. Or we may just go out to Nino's.
The tailgate for Monday  
cuty suzuki : 9/23/2022 11:14 am : link
will be shrimp cocktail, clams on the half shell, grilled clams, grilled crab legs, a bag of pork rinds, and a 5L mini-keg of Hofbrau Oktoberfest. I expect lots of chicken wings from my friend.
Heading out on vacation Tuesday  
CRinCA : 9/23/2022 11:29 am : link
So we’ll be cleaning out leftovers from the freezer. Who knows what I’ll find.

Tell me more about this eggplant dish- how does it differ from Parm?
Funny you asked  
Bizfoodie : 9/23/2022 11:55 am : link
I have a brisket I’ve been dying to make but haven’t gotten around to it. I’m going to put that bad boy in the smoker early Sunday morning maybe about 2am to be ready for the 1pm games. For a quick bite I’m going to also make some pineapple habanero wings. Hopefully there’s brisket left for Monday night so I can’t make a brisket sandwich with some coleslaw.
RE: Pot Roast with Root Vegetables  
Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 2:46 pm : link
In comment 15828369 PhilSimms15 said:
Quote:
I am making this awesome recipe from America's Test Kitchen, it's a pot roast with root vegetables

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/13216-one-pot-simple-pot-roast-with-root-vegetables?incode=MASAD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_1

and for deserts I am making, cakes, cream cheese brownies, also from ATK
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/594-cakey-cream-cheese-brownies?t=1663943656


I haven't made pot roast in ages. I like cheese cake and I like brownies. Let us know how the recipes turn out.
RE: hi guys. sounds like a comfort food weekend, love it  
Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 2:48 pm : link
In comment 15828443 Victor in CT said:
Quote:
Happy Rosh Hashanah Bill and all who celebrate.

Cool weather here, so will be having stuffed breast of veal on Sunday (stuffed with bread, grated reggiano, eggs, parsley and cubed prosciutto), slow cook tented with chicken broth and white wine for 90 mins or so, then untent to brown last half hour. Linguine with garlic and oil on the side and a salad.


grilled NY Strips tomorrow, sides TBD.

not sure tonight. Shop Rite has fresh wild caught jumbo shrimp on special so may do that with garlic, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts over penne. Or we may just go out to Nino's.

Thanks, Victor. Man, I don't remember the last time I saw a breast of veal. I just got some veal chops locally that I'm looking forward to. Sounds great, enjoy it.
RE: The tailgate for Monday  
Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 2:49 pm : link
In comment 15828448 cuty suzuki said:
Quote:
will be shrimp cocktail, clams on the half shell, grilled clams, grilled crab legs, a bag of pork rinds, and a 5L mini-keg of Hofbrau Oktoberfest. I expect lots of chicken wings from my friend.


lol, how did those pork rinds sneak in among all that shellfish? :)
RE: Heading out on vacation Tuesday  
Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 3:04 pm : link
In comment 15828465 CRinCA said:
Quote:
So we’ll be cleaning out leftovers from the freezer. Who knows what I’ll find.

Tell me more about this eggplant dish- how does it differ from Parm?


It's very much like parm, but uses Fontina (I'm subbing provolone) and PecRomano for mozz and parm. The eggplant is sliced 1/4, lengthwise, and floured and dipped in egg only and fried.
Today  
DG_89 : 9/23/2022 3:09 pm : link
was the last of the corn chowder from Sunday. Tonight is green chili smashburgers. With or without fries depends on my mood.

Tomorrow depends on when I leave the mechanic. I could do pizzas or go straight home and make PB&Js

Sunday dinner is Peruvian grilled chicken with grilled veggies. I have 4 birds to marinate when I get home. The marinade is olive oil, smoked paprika, ground cumin, fresh oregano and roasted and raw onions and garlic blended together. Rub the birds down and into the fridge till Sunday when I take them out to get room temperature. I salt and pepper them before grilling. The veggies are cauliflower, onions, peppers, carrots & baby bok choy. Just parboil, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper and on the grill
Tonight, I am picking up a few pies from Di Fara pizza  
bigblue1124 : 9/23/2022 4:14 pm : link
Saturday, I am making Spicy Hunan cumin pork ribs with Sichuan fried green beans and Chengdu-Style Sichuan Fried Rice going to sous vide the ribs rather than boil them, then wok fry.

Sunday, doing spicy Italian sausage and olive oil garlic broccoli rabe sandwiches on ciabatta with Grana Padano. I’ll probably some kind of salad to go with it.

Monday for the game most likely leftovers and record and watch the game in bed until I fall asleep. Night game’s suck for me having to get up so early for work.
RE: RE: hi guys. sounds like a comfort food weekend, love it  
Victor in CT : 9/23/2022 4:24 pm : link
In comment 15828631 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
In comment 15828443 Victor in CT said:


Quote:


Happy Rosh Hashanah Bill and all who celebrate.

Cool weather here, so will be having stuffed breast of veal on Sunday (stuffed with bread, grated reggiano, eggs, parsley and cubed prosciutto), slow cook tented with chicken broth and white wine for 90 mins or so, then untent to brown last half hour. Linguine with garlic and oil on the side and a salad.


grilled NY Strips tomorrow, sides TBD.

not sure tonight. Shop Rite has fresh wild caught jumbo shrimp on special so may do that with garlic, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts over penne. Or we may just go out to Nino's.


Thanks, Victor. Man, I don't remember the last time I saw a breast of veal. I just got some veal chops locally that I'm looking forward to. Sounds great, enjoy it.


Thanks. Shop Rite here has it pretty regularly.

Enjoy the chops! I love veal chops
RE: Funny you asked  
Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 7:47 pm : link
In comment 15828500 Bizfoodie said:
Quote:
I have a brisket I’ve been dying to make but haven’t gotten around to it. I’m going to put that bad boy in the smoker early Sunday morning maybe about 2am to be ready for the 1pm games. For a quick bite I’m going to also make some pineapple habanero wings. Hopefully there’s brisket left for Monday night so I can’t make a brisket sandwich with some coleslaw.


Bless you, but I haven't gotten to the point where I'll get up at 2am to start the smoker. I'm sure it'll be worth the effort, tho
RE: Today  
Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 7:50 pm : link
In comment 15828649 DG_89 said:
Quote:
was the last of the corn chowder from Sunday. Tonight is green chili smashburgers. With or without fries depends on my mood.

Tomorrow depends on when I leave the mechanic. I could do pizzas or go straight home and make PB&Js

Sunday dinner is Peruvian grilled chicken with grilled veggies. I have 4 birds to marinate when I get home. The marinade is olive oil, smoked paprika, ground cumin, fresh oregano and roasted and raw onions and garlic blended together. Rub the birds down and into the fridge till Sunday when I take them out to get room temperature. I salt and pepper them before grilling. The veggies are cauliflower, onions, peppers, carrots & baby bok choy. Just parboil, brush with olive oil, salt and pepper and on the grill


Loves me some green chile smashburgers. I always do mine with American cheese. The chicken sounds terrific. Seems like you live alone, if so I can easily see how those leftovers last for a week. I have enough of them with 2 of us. Mrs. in UT doesn't eat any leftovers for lunch, so they're all on me
RE: Tonight, I am picking up a few pies from Di Fara pizza  
Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 7:53 pm : link
In comment 15828744 bigblue1124 said:
Quote:
Saturday, I am making Spicy Hunan cumin pork ribs with Sichuan fried green beans and Chengdu-Style Sichuan Fried Rice going to sous vide the ribs rather than boil them, then wok fry.

Sunday, doing spicy Italian sausage and olive oil garlic broccoli rabe sandwiches on ciabatta with Grana Padano. I’ll probably some kind of salad to go with it.

Monday for the game most likely leftovers and record and watch the game in bed until I fall asleep. Night game’s suck for me having to get up so early for work.


It all sounds great Scott. Can you tell me a little more about the ribs? Do you cut them into individual ribs to SV? I haven't really seen recipes with woking bone-in ribs.
RE: RE: RE: hi guys. sounds like a comfort food weekend, love it  
Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 7:54 pm : link
In comment 15828755 Victor in CT said:
Quote:
In comment 15828631 Bill in UT said:


Quote:


In comment 15828443 Victor in CT said:


Quote:


Happy Rosh Hashanah Bill and all who celebrate.

Cool weather here, so will be having stuffed breast of veal on Sunday (stuffed with bread, grated reggiano, eggs, parsley and cubed prosciutto), slow cook tented with chicken broth and white wine for 90 mins or so, then untent to brown last half hour. Linguine with garlic and oil on the side and a salad.


grilled NY Strips tomorrow, sides TBD.

not sure tonight. Shop Rite has fresh wild caught jumbo shrimp on special so may do that with garlic, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts over penne. Or we may just go out to Nino's.


Thanks, Victor. Man, I don't remember the last time I saw a breast of veal. I just got some veal chops locally that I'm looking forward to. Sounds great, enjoy it.



Thanks. Shop Rite here has it pretty regularly.



Then I guess that's something I miss about NY :)
I had a change of plans tonight  
Bill in UT : 9/23/2022 8:43 pm : link
Instead of the eggplant, I made Cacio e Pepe- spaghetti with pecorino romano cheese and pepper. Simple and very nice. I'll probably try it next time as an app. And I've got a recipe from the same source to use the leftovers by chilling them in a baking dish, cutting into squares, and putting them in egg wash and breadcrumbs and frying as an app. I think I'll do that in 2 weeks when I have friends over for cards.
Happy New Year, to those who celebrate!  
smshmth8690 : 9/23/2022 11:09 pm : link
I had a huge 5 day eating weekend last week. This week going to try to keep things normal for myself. I have two beautiful Berkshire Pork Butt thawing out now. I picked them up 2 weeks ago, but sh*t happens, so I had to freeze them. I'm definitely smoking them, but I can't decide if I will do them on the Big Green Egg, or the Yoder. I think the BGE gives a lot more smoke flavor, so that's the way I'm leaning.
A friend dropped of a few bottles of ht sauce today. One is a fermented Pineapple/Habanero that he's been working on. All I can saw is WOW - a total flavor bomb. I'm hoping he can get this on shelves somewhere, It is really a great sauce. So I'm pretty sure the sauce is going to wind up on the pork. I will probably make a vinegary slaw, and maybe some guac, and do tacos.
On Monday, I may take some pulled pork, and make a taco pie out of it, with an Ancho Chile sauce base, and a cheesy almond flour biscuit topping. (low carb)
I also have a bottle of Penelope Barrel Proof that will probably get opened this weekend.
My neighbor blessed me with 6 pints of cherry tomatos yesterday  
RobCrossRiver56 : 9/24/2022 9:00 am : link
from the garden. In a 12" or 14" pan, chop 1 onion and saute with 1 stick of butter for 5 min. Then add 3 pints of the cherry tomatos cut in half for 30 min on med-low heat. In the meantime I fried up 2 chicken cutlets and set aside. Start the paste water for 1 lb of linguini.

After 30 min add a cup of pasta water to the sauce pan and mix in. Add, some light cream, white wine and parsley and mix. Add the linguini to the pan along with the chicken cutlets chopped and mix. Add 1 more cup of pasta water to the pan, mix, cover and let it soak in and finish cooking before serving.

I have no idea what this dish is called but it's freaking delicious..

Cherry Tomatoes
Onion
Butter
Parsley
Linguini
Chicken Cutlet
Light Cream
White Wine
RE: Happy New Year, to those who celebrate!  
Bill in UT : 9/24/2022 9:26 am : link
In comment 15829027 smshmth8690 said:
Quote:
I had a huge 5 day eating weekend last week. This week going to try to keep things normal for myself. I have two beautiful Berkshire Pork Butt thawing out now. I picked them up 2 weeks ago, but sh*t happens, so I had to freeze them. I'm definitely smoking them, but I can't decide if I will do them on the Big Green Egg, or the Yoder. I think the BGE gives a lot more smoke flavor, so that's the way I'm leaning.
A friend dropped of a few bottles of ht sauce today. One is a fermented Pineapple/Habanero that he's been working on. All I can saw is WOW - a total flavor bomb. I'm hoping he can get this on shelves somewhere, It is really a great sauce. So I'm pretty sure the sauce is going to wind up on the pork. I will probably make a vinegary slaw, and maybe some guac, and do tacos.
On Monday, I may take some pulled pork, and make a taco pie out of it, with an Ancho Chile sauce base, and a cheesy almond flour biscuit topping. (low carb)
I also have a bottle of Penelope Barrel Proof that will probably get opened this weekend.


It all sounds delicious, Drew.
RE: My neighbor blessed me with 6 pints of cherry tomatos yesterday  
Bill in UT : 9/24/2022 9:28 am : link
In comment 15829100 RobCrossRiver56 said:
Quote:
from the garden. In a 12" or 14" pan, chop 1 onion and saute with 1 stick of butter for 5 min. Then add 3 pints of the cherry tomatos cut in half for 30 min on med-low heat. In the meantime I fried up 2 chicken cutlets and set aside. Start the paste water for 1 lb of linguini.

After 30 min add a cup of pasta water to the sauce pan and mix in. Add, some light cream, white wine and parsley and mix. Add the linguini to the pan along with the chicken cutlets chopped and mix. Add 1 more cup of pasta water to the pan, mix, cover and let it soak in and finish cooking before serving.

I have no idea what this dish is called but it's freaking delicious..

Cherry Tomatoes
Onion
Butter
Parsley
Linguini
Chicken Cutlet
Light Cream
White Wine


Sounds great, Rob. After that cooking time, do the tomatoes fully break down, or do you end up with a chunky sauce?
Pregame...  
Brown_Hornet : 9/24/2022 9:42 am : link
...this AM will be catfish.

Right now, in the oven is 10lbs. of brisket  
Matt M. : 9/24/2022 9:44 am : link
for the holidays. That, plus matzo ball chicken soup is enough to get me excited for Sunday and Monday nights.
As the tomatos begin to soften I am  
RobCrossRiver56 : 9/24/2022 9:46 am : link
constantly squishing them down with wood spoon when mixing. No matter how much you squish you are still going to end up with tomato chunks but it is so sweet you won't care.
RE: RE: Tonight, I am picking up a few pies from Di Fara pizza  
bigblue1124 : 9/24/2022 10:24 am : link
In comment 15828873 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
In comment 15828744 bigblue1124 said:


Quote:

Spicy Hunan cumin pork ribs



It all sounds great Scott. Can you tell me a little more about the ribs? Do you cut them into individual ribs to SV? I haven't really seen recipes with woking bone-in ribs.


Hey Bill
Most recipes I have seen they soak the individual ribs then fry them. I like my ribs more tender than most, so I am going to SV first then wok fry. I will leave them in half racks while SV then cool and cut them into individual ribs so they don’t fall apart. I am not following the recipe to a T but this one gave me the idea. And as I said I will SV rather than the boiling method. Recipe is below hope this helps.

And hope you have a nice Holiday!


ribs
2 long green peppers, cut into small chunks
1 red fresh pepper, cut into small chunks
3 scallions, divided
2-3 slices of ginger
1 tbsp. cooking wine
1 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tbsp. light soy sauce
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2-3 dried red chili pepper, optional for a hotter version
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. cumin powder
1 tbsp. toasted white sesame seeds

1. Soak the ribs with clean water for around 15 minutes. Remove the seed of the peppers and cut into small chunks.
2. Add ribs in a pot with enough cold water, add 1 scallion and several slices of ginger and cooking wine. Bring to a boil, slow down the fire and simmer for 10 minutes or until soft as wanted (depending how soft you want the ribs to be). Cover the lid and soak the ribs with the water until completely cooled down.
3. Add ½ teaspoon salt, sugar, light soy sauce and oyster sauce. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes. Coat with starch just before pan-frying.
4. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan and heat until hot. Fry the ribs over slow to medium fire until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Move the ribs to one side of the pan and fry garlic, ginger, and chili pepper if you are using until aromatic.
5. Place the fresh peppers in and fry until soft. Sprinkle salt, cumin powder and sesame seeds. Add sections of 1 scallion at last. Transfer out and serve immediately
RE: RE: RE: Tonight, I am picking up a few pies from Di Fara pizza  
smshmth8690 : 9/24/2022 10:27 am : link
In comment 15829158 bigblue1124 said:
Quote:
In comment 15828873 Bill in UT said:


Quote:


In comment 15828744 bigblue1124 said:


Quote:

Spicy Hunan cumin pork ribs



It all sounds great Scott. Can you tell me a little more about the ribs? Do you cut them into individual ribs to SV? I haven't really seen recipes with woking bone-in ribs.



Hey Bill
Most recipes I have seen they soak the individual ribs then fry them. I like my ribs more tender than most, so I am going to SV first then wok fry. I will leave them in half racks while SV then cool and cut them into individual ribs so they don’t fall apart. I am not following the recipe to a T but this one gave me the idea. And as I said I will SV rather than the boiling method. Recipe is below hope this helps.

And hope you have a nice Holiday!


ribs
2 long green peppers, cut into small chunks
1 red fresh pepper, cut into small chunks
3 scallions, divided
2-3 slices of ginger
1 tbsp. cooking wine
1 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tbsp. light soy sauce
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2-3 dried red chili pepper, optional for a hotter version
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. cumin powder
1 tbsp. toasted white sesame seeds

1. Soak the ribs with clean water for around 15 minutes. Remove the seed of the peppers and cut into small chunks.
2. Add ribs in a pot with enough cold water, add 1 scallion and several slices of ginger and cooking wine. Bring to a boil, slow down the fire and simmer for 10 minutes or until soft as wanted (depending how soft you want the ribs to be). Cover the lid and soak the ribs with the water until completely cooled down.
3. Add ½ teaspoon salt, sugar, light soy sauce and oyster sauce. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes. Coat with starch just before pan-frying.
4. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan and heat until hot. Fry the ribs over slow to medium fire until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Move the ribs to one side of the pan and fry garlic, ginger, and chili pepper if you are using until aromatic.
5. Place the fresh peppers in and fry until soft. Sprinkle salt, cumin powder and sesame seeds. Add sections of 1 scallion at last. Transfer out and serve immediately


This looks like a great recipe. There's a local place here that does Cumin Lamb, also really good.
I will be able to speak more about the recipe after tonight.  
bigblue1124 : 9/24/2022 10:57 am : link
But the flavor profile I love so I am hopeful, first time doing these. I have seen it done with many different rib’s Lamb, Short rib, even alligator ribs. I am doing St louis cut spareribs.

Hope the wedding and festivities went well Drew and congratulations again.
RE: RE: RE: Tonight, I am picking up a few pies from Di Fara pizza  
Bill in UT : 9/24/2022 11:31 am : link
In comment 15829158 bigblue1124 said:
Quote:


ribs
2 long green peppers, cut into small chunks
1 red fresh pepper, cut into small chunks
3 scallions, divided
2-3 slices of ginger
1 tbsp. cooking wine
1 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tbsp. light soy sauce
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2-3 dried red chili pepper, optional for a hotter version
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. cumin powder
1 tbsp. toasted white sesame seeds

1. Soak the ribs with clean water for around 15 minutes. Remove the seed of the peppers and cut into small chunks.
2. Add ribs in a pot with enough cold water, add 1 scallion and several slices of ginger and cooking wine. Bring to a boil, slow down the fire and simmer for 10 minutes or until soft as wanted (depending how soft you want the ribs to be). Cover the lid and soak the ribs with the water until completely cooled down.
3. Add ½ teaspoon salt, sugar, light soy sauce and oyster sauce. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes. Coat with starch just before pan-frying.
4. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan and heat until hot. Fry the ribs over slow to medium fire until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Move the ribs to one side of the pan and fry garlic, ginger, and chili pepper if you are using until aromatic.
5. Place the fresh peppers in and fry until soft. Sprinkle salt, cumin powder and sesame seeds. Add sections of 1 scallion at last. Transfer out and serve immediately

Scott, I'd like to try these also, but I have a few questions.
1- What is the time and temp for sous vide? Do you add any ingredients to the SV bag?
2- the items in Step 3 that you set aside. What do you do with them? Are the ribs coated with cornstarch only, or do you also coat them with the mixed liquid? Or do you add the liquid to the pan and fry the ribs in it?
3- the garlic/ginger/peppers that you add to the pan, do they become a sauce or condiment that you have alongside the ribs?
4- Could you finish the ribs on a grill and cook up the other ingredients separately and serve alongside? I ask because with the contours of the ribs and a wok or pan, it seems it would be hard to get a good sear on all parts of the ribs.
Hopefully you can respond after you do the dish :) TIA
RE: As the tomatos begin to soften I am  
Bill in UT : 9/24/2022 11:33 am : link
In comment 15829129 RobCrossRiver56 said:
Quote:
constantly squishing them down with wood spoon when mixing. No matter how much you squish you are still going to end up with tomato chunks but it is so sweet you won't care.

Thanks. I often use a potato masher rather than a wood spoon to squish when cooking something like that
RE: Pregame...  
Bill in UT : 9/24/2022 11:35 am : link
In comment 15829124 Brown_Hornet said:
Quote:
...this AM will be catfish.


I don't think I ever ate catfish until I moved to UT and visited Nashville. Great fish.
RE: Right now, in the oven is 10lbs. of brisket  
Bill in UT : 9/24/2022 11:38 am : link
In comment 15829128 Matt M. said:
Quote:
for the holidays. That, plus matzo ball chicken soup is enough to get me excited for Sunday and Monday nights.

The cooked brisket and soup are in the fridge. Today is challah, cheesecake and apple cake for Mrs. in UT. I just need to stay out of her way
RE: RE: RE: RE: Tonight, I am picking up a few pies from Di Fara pizza  
bigblue1124 : 9/24/2022 12:32 pm : link
In comment 15829216 Bill in UT said:
Quote:
In comment 15829158 bigblue1124 said:


Quote:




ribs
2 long green peppers, cut into small chunks
1 red fresh pepper, cut into small chunks
3 scallions, divided
2-3 slices of ginger
1 tbsp. cooking wine
1 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tbsp. light soy sauce
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2-3 dried red chili pepper, optional for a hotter version
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. cumin powder
1 tbsp. toasted white sesame seeds

1. Soak the ribs with clean water for around 15 minutes. Remove the seed of the peppers and cut into small chunks.
2. Add ribs in a pot with enough cold water, add 1 scallion and several slices of ginger and cooking wine. Bring to a boil, slow down the fire and simmer for 10 minutes or until soft as wanted (depending how soft you want the ribs to be). Cover the lid and soak the ribs with the water until completely cooled down.
3. Add ½ teaspoon salt, sugar, light soy sauce and oyster sauce. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes. Coat with starch just before pan-frying.
4. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan and heat until hot. Fry the ribs over slow to medium fire until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Move the ribs to one side of the pan and fry garlic, ginger, and chili pepper if you are using until aromatic.
5. Place the fresh peppers in and fry until soft. Sprinkle salt, cumin powder and sesame seeds. Add sections of 1 scallion at last. Transfer out and serve immediately


Scott, I'd like to try these also, but I have a few questions.
1- What is the time and temp for sous vide? Do you add any ingredients to the SV bag?
2- the items in Step 3 that you set aside. What do you do with them? Are the ribs coated with cornstarch only, or do you also coat them with the mixed liquid? Or do you add the liquid to the pan and fry the ribs in it?
3- the garlic/ginger/peppers that you add to the pan, do they become a sauce or condiment that you have alongside the ribs?
4- Could you finish the ribs on a grill and cook up the other ingredients separately and serve alongside? I ask because with the contours of the ribs and a wok or pan, it seems it would be hard to get a good sear on all parts of the ribs.
Hopefully you can respond after you do the dish :) TIA


Bill
The set aside ingredients are for the boil which I am not doing I am basically making a marinade for the SV minus the water. I just can’t boil ribs it goes against everything I was ever taught. All the other ingredients I am using as the sauce minus the oyster sauce I am substituting hoisin due to allergy.

SV time I am starting with 6 hours at 165 and see how tender they are then go from there. They are in as I type then I will cool them cut them into individual ribs.
You can grill them and just make the sauce onside if you would like. The crispy comes from the fry with the cornstarch. I agree the oil amount in the recipe seems low and will most likely add more but a good heat and tossing around should be good to get a good sear. I may have to do it in batches then make the sauce. I am fortunate to have a 60000 BTU burner outside with a wok ring attachment so it should make it a little easier than a gas stove.
I will update after tonight and see how it all works out.
Have a great day!
Back to the Corner