* first, it is tough listening to GMFB talking Cowboys here..
1) There are a ton of things to bring up overall but let's start with this, the defense came up a bit toothless last night. Missing Leonard Williams was much bigger than most thought. The arrival of Thibs and Ojulari meant nothing overall, minus a deflected pass by Thibs and a holding call caused by AO! ** Our lack of ILB with playmaking ability is a huge issue for our defense.
2) The Giants are literally taking the field with a preseason squad of playmakers. I keep hearing about the Cowboys players being missing but hold up- Lamb, Brown, Pollard, Smith and Ferguson would all be on the Giants and Lamb and Brown would be our best weapons.. We have a whole new system everyone is learning and we have guys that shouldn't be starting, maybe not even playing at all. SS wasn't supposed to be counted on, at least not this early and Sils, James, Hudson all playing significant time.. We are bereft of talent at the wide receiver position which is magnified when you know a huge cap usage is tied to that position with Golladay (absolute waste) and Toney ( he won't be here long).. We are the worst group of WR's in the league and it isn't close.
3) I am NOT worried about Evan Neal yet. Now, he has to get better with his footwork but, he has no help last night. Even the chip blocks were missed and pathetic. Neal also was being teed off on because the Boys didn't worry about our passing game. Neal will develop. * If we get some folks healthy, we may have some depth next year at Oline and just need an addition here or there to be a full on strength.
4) We are who we appear to be, a VERY well coached team. Last night we made chicken salad out of chicken shit most of the game offensively. Our entire offense relied on movement, fakes, QB rolls etc but once we had to go passing mode that was no longer a weapon to use and our lack of Skill position options with Skills becomes a glaring hoke, glaring weakness. Yet, we still could have won that game last night if our defense could have made something happen at any point..
5) What is pretty funny, if we beat the Bears we would be 3-1 after 4 games. No, I am not talking SB, playoffs etc, I am talking getting some wins to change our mindset, get some W's to go with the mental win of our change in management and coaching..
6) Daniel Jones played a pretty impressive game with all that was working against him and with his own limitations. I can be honest in my assessment (unlike most here about Jones- good or bad) and last night he was the reason we were even in the game but he also was a reason we didn't win. One sack was 100% on him as a free rusher to your right ( just based on alignment and blocking direction, says he is your guy to account for) and Jones stared to the left and never saw him coming. There were a few passes that could have and should have been better ( could still have been caught) but you have to make it easier on the receiver (SS crossing on a 3rd down), Golladay on a 4th down play ( though he gives such half ass effort it is embarrassing). I also think there were a few times later in the game where Jones decided way too late to run. *** Jones will not be the QB here next year and I think if a chance to trade him to a QB desperate contender comes up (injuries happen) the Giants HAVE to do it.
7) Thibs (back to him) was rusty as hell but even more interesting was he spent a lot of time, moving around, motioning, gesturing and looking for some sign, some idea where to lineup etc and was Very slow, slow off the snap A LOT! The other thing with him is I saw no pass rush moves, no variation with his rush (again, rusty ???), And that could be very limiting.. I want to see far more from him going forward.
8) Imagine you make a statement saying (paraphrase) I should always be playing and then put up some plays like you did last night. Golladay is so far gone that when the chips were down, we had to pass Daboll played 2 TE's with guys like SS, David Sills, James as our passing options... Injuries or not Golladay has to go, he eats up an actual roster spot , tons of cap space and provides a negative return...
I don't expect a ton this year but I still think we get close to plus .500 with an 8 win season. Beat the Bears to go 3-1 and just look to build on our young players growing.
If injuries pop up at QB elsewhere, take what you can get for Jones. If an offer from a SB contender comes in for Barkley you send him as we are looking to 2023 and beyond.