for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Nick Gates to be activated from PUP next week

SicilianGMEN : 9/30/2022 4:02 pm
Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
·
6m
Good news heading into the weekend: The plan is for OL Nick Gates to be activated from the PUP list next week, per sources. The one-year anniversary of Gates' gruesome leg injury just passed. Here's my story from the spring on everything he's been through:
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: I'm rooting for him ...  
Lines of Scrimmage : 9/30/2022 5:07 pm : link
In comment 15839177 Beer Man said:
Quote:
But that was a devastating injury requiring multiple surgeries. If I remember correctly, it took Rich Seubert a couple of seasons to come back from a similar injury


All the way back yes. He started as a BTE/6thOL. "number 69 is eligible."
Great  
Mdgiantsfan : 9/30/2022 5:07 pm : link
This is really good news. Hopefully he can get his legs under him and get back in contention for a starting spot.
I certainly hope he's fully healthy and stays that way. This sounds  
Ira : 9/30/2022 5:09 pm : link
like very good news for the 2nd half of the season.
Would be awesome  
SLIM_ : 9/30/2022 5:11 pm : link
but the pessimistic side of me asks the question is if there is anything different from a pension standpoing between PUP and IR. (IR accrues seasons but PUP doesn't)?

Seems like somewhat of a rush...
RE: Would be awesome  
BillT : 9/30/2022 5:12 pm : link
In comment 15839205 SLIM_ said:
Quote:
but the pessimistic side of me asks the question is if there is anything different from a pension standpoing between PUP and IR. (IR accrues seasons but PUP doesn't)?

Seems like somewhat of a rush...

In your expert medical opinion?
This isn’t rushing him back  
Dave on the UWS : 9/30/2022 5:16 pm : link
They would only activate him if he was ready to contribute in 3 weeks. It will be a process but I can easily see him taking over for Feliciano sometime this year.
Really happy for him  
Now Mike in MD : 9/30/2022 5:20 pm : link
As a person but from a football perspective he hasn't played for a year. Wis it realistic to expect much of a contribution before mid to late November?
This is great news!  
sb from NYT Forum : 9/30/2022 5:22 pm : link
For him personally most of all, it's got to have been an arduous path for sure and this has been the goal that's been driving him.

But great for the Giants too of course. He was our best OL at the beginning of last year, before Judge moved him to a position he never played in the pros OR college.
Imagine if Toney had this guy's grit.  
Capt. Don : 9/30/2022 5:34 pm : link
.
I remember Schoen & Dabol, in  
Southern Man : 9/30/2022 5:39 pm : link
an early training camp interview, saying that Gates' return was a possibility, maybe sooner than some might think. I didn't think this soon! You know Daboll would love to infuse some Nick Gates into this team.
That is quite a comeback. Would be just perfect if Gates makes  
chick310 : 9/30/2022 5:52 pm : link
it back on the field before Toney does.

A guy you root for and a guy you don't.
Is he under NYG control next year or is he a  
Metnut : 9/30/2022 5:55 pm : link
UFA?
Great News  
kelly : 9/30/2022 6:03 pm : link
Talk about tough!

Maybe put his locker next to Toney and some toughness will rub off.
RE: Is he under NYG control next year or is he a  
Del Shofner : 9/30/2022 6:03 pm : link
In comment 15839258 Metnut said:
Quote:
UFA?


From Eric's roster page it looks like he's under contract through next year.
Nick  
Giant John : 9/30/2022 6:10 pm : link
DO NOT come back until you’re 100% mind and body ready man you will be a site for sore eyes. But…
Make you you ready.
This is nothing but AMAZING ....  
Manny in CA : 9/30/2022 6:27 pm : link

After one of the most horrific injuries I've ever seen. Can we expect to see him play this year ??

Nick Gates is a stud - Was on his way to becoming a Pro Bowl CENTER before he he inexplicably got shifted to guard. There's a lot of bad things that happened because of this, the worst was the effect it had on Will Hernandez. Will went from being a dominant presence to looking lost and helpless.

Remember how Gates stood up to ALL-WORLD DT Aaron Donald ? Here's Bobby Skinner on Twitter (in 2020), showing us how much of a butt kicker Gates is ....

https://twitter.com/bobbyskinner_/status/1333779659016732673





...  
christian : 9/30/2022 6:38 pm : link
Gates coming back healthy and returning to form at center would be a huge shot in the arm for the Giants.
RE: This is nothing but AMAZING ....  
chick310 : 9/30/2022 6:39 pm : link
In comment 15839303 Manny in CA said:
Quote:

After one of the most horrific injuries I've ever seen. Can we expect to see him play this year ??

Nick Gates is a stud - Was on his way to becoming a Pro Bowl CENTER before he he inexplicably got shifted to guard. There's a lot of bad things that happened because of this, the worst was the effect it had on Will Hernandez. Will went from being a dominant presence to looking lost and helpless.

Remember how Gates stood up to ALL-WORLD DT Aaron Donald ? Here's Bobby Skinner on Twitter (in 2020), showing us how much of a butt kicker Gates is ....

https://twitter.com/bobbyskinner_/status/1333779659016732673




The decline of Will Hernandez was in full effect well before Gates went from Center to Guard. Your comments do not hold water.

Gates being injured like he did is more because the NYG had no idea what thye were doing with personnel all over the OL. Don't blame the coaches that were trying to make something out of nothing.

And by the way, Gates is nothing special. The Giants need to stop screwing around at Center and treat it like an actual position that needs experience and quality.
RE: if gates can come back and return to his old trajectory  
Jay on the Island : 9/30/2022 6:47 pm : link
In comment 15839150 Eric on Li said:
Quote:
that would be a miracle. rooting for him.

I mean we are overdue for some luck right? I really hope that Nick Gates has a Rich Seubert level recovery and returns to being a good starter for the Giants. I still don' think that he will contribute much if any this season but if he can build up his strength he might be able to compete for a starting spot next offseason.
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/30/2022 6:50 pm : link
Jay, you're damn right: we're due for some luck.

It sucks because Gates looked like a real find & then he gets injured. UFB.
Honestly shocked by this.  
Ten Ton Hammer : 9/30/2022 7:08 pm : link
.
Chick- hmm you might want to check  
Dave on the UWS : 9/30/2022 7:10 pm : link
Lout a few things
1. By seasons end 2020, Gates was grading out as one of the leagues better centers. There was talk of him getting some pro bowl votes in 2021
2. More importantly, the Bill’s center is a tackle convert and Daboll has said he likes them for the position. Gates will be the center, when he’s ready, very possibly for post bye.
Oh yeah  
Dave on the UWS : 9/30/2022 7:11 pm : link
he was named a team captain last year for a reason.
Hernandez' struggles are well documented, but ....  
Manny in CA : 9/30/2022 7:29 pm : link

There were many times when he earned excellent PFF scores. When he moved over to RG, it looked like he had finally found his "home". I recall one of the last games that he & Gates (at center) played against Dallas - how they together dominated the interior ....

How the Cowboys crushed our offensive line this past Sunday, reminded me how the Old Guard has exacerbated the misery with a multitude of self inflicted wounds - that still reverberates today.

Don't Rush Him Back  
Jim in Tampa : 9/30/2022 7:33 pm : link
That's my advice.

I'm not a doctor and I have no access to his medical files.

Nor am I a coach who has actually seen Gates work out.

I'm just long-time Giants fan who feels compelled to share my opinion, based on absolutely no information at all.

So again, I implore the Giants' medical staff and coaches to heed my advice....

Don't rush Gates back!!
If he can come back healthy  
Boatie Warrant : 9/30/2022 7:55 pm : link
That would be Awesome! I did not expect him back.
Great. My favorite Giant the last two years.  
St. Jimmy : 9/30/2022 8:00 pm : link
Great if he makes it back.
His comeback would make a great story....  
Simms11 : 9/30/2022 8:16 pm : link
Could he make a Seubert return? We could use the old Gates at Center. I assume he has a rod in his leg?! That's git to be tough to play with if so.
How is he ready  
David B. : 9/30/2022 8:35 pm : link
before Lemieux?
Lemieux might be back around  
Dave on the UWS : 9/30/2022 8:46 pm : link
Nov 1, which would put both on the same timetable. The OL might be a lot different second half, especially if Neal starts to “get it “ as Thomas did about half way through his rookie season.
Wow  
mattlawson : 9/30/2022 9:02 pm : link
Just wow
RE: How is he ready  
BillT : 9/30/2022 9:13 pm : link
In comment 15839408 David B. said:
Quote:
before Lemieux?

He was injured way before Lemieux.
RE: if gates can come back and return to his old trajectory  
Trainmaster : 9/30/2022 10:04 pm : link
75% of Gates is better than anything we have a C or OG right now.

RE: ...  
Jay on the Island : 9/30/2022 10:19 pm : link
In comment 15839324 SFGFNCGiantsFan said:
Quote:
Jay, you're damn right: we're due for some luck.

It sucks because Gates looked like a real find & then he gets injured. UFB.

Gates was our best offensive lineman when he got hurt. Obviously Thomas would have surpassed him for that title but Gates would have solidified the middle of the line if he was never injured. Plus his contract was well below market value which added more value.
Coming off PUP starts a 21 day window.  
Pepe LePugh : 9/30/2022 10:39 pm : link
Must be activated to 53, IRd or released by the end of that time. Hoping for the best.
Was thinking about him on Monday.  
Ike#88 : 9/30/2022 10:48 pm : link
Glad to see he is possibly returning soon. And yes putting him at guard when he was doing well at center was stupid by the former regime.
Awesome News  
Bleedin Blue : 10/1/2022 12:29 am : link
For Gates and the Team. Just please don’t rush him back. Hope all goes well and he returns to his old self. He was definitely on the right track before being injured.
RE: Don't Rush Him Back  
KingBlue : 10/1/2022 8:04 am : link
In comment 15839361 Jim in Tampa said:
Quote:
That's my advice.

I'm not a doctor and I have no access to his medical files.

Nor am I a coach who has actually seen Gates work out.

I'm just long-time Giants fan who feels compelled to share my opinion, based on absolutely no information at all.

So again, I implore the Giants' medical staff and coaches to heed my advice....

Don't rush Gates back!!


Funny. Well done.
RE: Honestly shocked by this.  
ColHowPepper : 10/1/2022 8:46 am : link
In comment 15839339 Ten Ton Hammer said
Same here, TTH. In better circumstances, bet he would be given all most of this season to rehab, regain strength, regain mobility.

As fantastic news as it is for Nick Gates, I'm afraid it also may well show how desperate the situation is on the interior of our OL.
Pulling for Gates  
JoeyBigBlue : 10/1/2022 8:57 am : link
He would be a huge upgrade over Feliciano at Center.
Like everybody else - glad to see him back.  
short lease : 10/1/2022 9:59 am : link

But, how long before he is ready .... a month? 6 weeks?
That’s phenomenal!  
Section331 : 10/1/2022 11:29 am : link
I’m really happy for him. I didn’t hold out much hope that he would be able to play again, and it’s a testament to his hard work that he’s made it back this far this quickly. Well done Nick!
hello Rich Seubert....  
BillKo : 10/1/2022 12:41 pm : link
....version 2.0.

Hope he can do it.
Great News...  
retiredmz : 10/1/2022 1:31 pm : link
The guy is a beast and plays with a lot of heart. everybody is pulling for him. just look at all of these comments here on BBI.
RE: Honestly shocked by this.  
Carson53 : 10/1/2022 2:30 pm : link
In comment 15839339 Ten Ton Hammer said:
Quote:
.
.

So am I, didn't think he could make it back this season.
I wouldn't rush him onto the playing field, until he is ready.
RE: Great News  
Bruner4329 : 10/1/2022 3:50 pm : link
In comment 15839267 kelly said:
Quote:
Talk about tough!

Maybe put his locker next to Toney and some toughness will rub off.


Wouldn't be surprised if Gates played in a game before Toney.
Does anyone understand how PUP works?  
Dave on the UWS : 10/1/2022 4:30 pm : link
They were under NO urgency to take him off PUP. Once they do, they have 21 days to either IR him or activate him to play. CLEARLY, the doctors (and Nick), think he's ready to get back at it. Now, once he's activated (around Thanksgiving), I HIGHLY doubt he goes back to starting. He has to learn how this line blocks, etc. But I can Easily see him regaining his former starting spot before the end of the season. Feliciano is not on his level as a center. Not to mention, Gates' toughness, and the respect he commands from the other players ( I saw this firsthand during camp), will positively rub off on the other players- Neal in particular).
I can see this OL making great strides by the second half.
AND I'm not being a polyanna. The talent is there to make it very possible.
I think Gates at worst was above average  
Ten Ton Hammer : 10/1/2022 4:47 pm : link
Pre-injury. He would easily be above Feliciano to me if he can return to form. Feliciano simply isn't an NFL starter.
RE: Does anyone understand how PUP works?  
section125 : 10/1/2022 6:46 pm : link
In comment 15839944 Dave on the UWS said:
Quote:
They were under NO urgency to take him off PUP. Once they do, they have 21 days to either IR him or activate him to play. CLEARLY, the doctors (and Nick), think he's ready to get back at it. Now, once he's activated (around Thanksgiving), I HIGHLY doubt he goes back to starting. He has to learn how this line blocks, etc. But I can Easily see him regaining his former starting spot before the end of the season. Feliciano is not on his level as a center. Not to mention, Gates' toughness, and the respect he commands from the other players ( I saw this firsthand during camp), will positively rub off on the other players- Neal in particular).
I can see this OL making great strides by the second half.
AND I'm not being a polyanna. The talent is there to make it very possible.


He has 21 days to be on the roster which is a month before T'giving - it is Oct 21st
Really would help oline if gates could be OC next few yrs  
Payasdaddy : 10/1/2022 6:58 pm : link
leaves OG as the last gaping hole
maybe ezueda or SL can be a solution GLOW looked like crap last week
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner