for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NGT: Brock Purdy Against the Eagles

M.S. : 1/24/2023 10:08 am

In light of the Eagles fierce pass rush, there is one thing in Brock Purdy's repertoire that may help him quite a bit -- he is very clever when his pocket breaks down. He has remarkable balance, flexibility, short area quickness and an almost 6th sense of finding a soft spot in a chaotic pocket to make an off-schedule play. If the 49ers escape the Linc with a "W", my bet is on Brock Purdy sustaining enough drives with his ability to keep plays alive in the pocket.
Wonder what the expert write-ups  
Big Blue '56 : 1/24/2023 10:10 am : link
were on him re draft
Brock Purdy is going to get demolished this weekend  
Essex : 1/24/2023 10:10 am : link
that is no slight on Purdy but going into Philly in cold weather is not going to be easy for a rookie. Considering they will be in his face all day, it is going to be ugly. I hate that I am writing this, but it is my honest opinion. Plus, he has gotten lucky with a lot of balls that were not picked and the Eagles are ball hawks. It is unfortunately their year.
I thought he was bad  
section125 : 1/24/2023 10:11 am : link
vs the Dallas rush - he seemed to freeze and several times had an opportunity to scramble and make significant yards, and did not. Young and inexperienced and has done remarkably well.
RE: Brock Purdy is going to get demolished this weekend  
Costy16 : 1/24/2023 10:13 am : link
In comment 16011617 Essex said:
Quote:
that is no slight on Purdy but going into Philly in cold weather is not going to be easy for a rookie. Considering they will be in his face all day, it is going to be ugly. I hate that I am writing this, but it is my honest opinion. Plus, he has gotten lucky with a lot of balls that were not picked and the Eagles are ball hawks. It is unfortunately their year.


The Niners defense will have something for Hurts.
Eagles are going to demolish the 49'ers  
I Love Clams Casino : 1/24/2023 10:17 am : link
..that is all
The Eagles coverage is excellent  
sb2003 : 1/24/2023 10:18 am : link
and helps that pass rush get home. I think the Season ends for Purdy and the niners this weekend.
.  
simgiant : 1/24/2023 10:19 am : link
Purdy has this tendency to roll out to his left not be comfortable to throw since he is right handed do a loop around while loosing a few yards in order to throw. He does it a couple times a game. He is going to get destroyed while doing this since players will expect it now.
RE: Wonder what the expert write-ups  
eli4life : 1/24/2023 10:20 am : link
In comment 16011616 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
were on him re draft


I’m sure it would say if paired with the #1 defense and defensive mvp and have a really good line and weapons all over the place may do well
As I said on another thread he's going to need  
Blue21 : 1/24/2023 10:25 am : link
more than 1TD and 4 FGs to beat the Eagles. Probably need 4 TDs and 1FG . I don't like his odds.
The 9ers defense is going to have to win this one.  
Everyone Relax : 1/24/2023 10:37 am : link
Purdy has been lucky limiting his mistakes, but I saw on a number of throws against Dallas the ball flutter and hang up. He won't get away with that against Philly.
RE: .  
Festina Lente : 1/24/2023 10:40 am : link
In comment 16011643 simgiant said:
Quote:
Purdy has this tendency to roll out to his left not be comfortable to throw since he is right handed do a loop around while loosing a few yards in order to throw. He does it a couple times a game. He is going to get destroyed while doing this since players will expect it now.


Yeah. Big weakness. Doesn't have the flexibility and elite wrist flip to get away with those role outs efficiently
Philly will need to replicate  
NINEster : 1/24/2023 10:46 am : link
the Cowboys run defense and YAC limiting performance before their #1 pass defense and top pass rush and/or get to a big lead becomes a suffocating issue, IMO.

The Shanahan offense funneling through TEs and RBs would not play into the Eagles' strengths as much as say Miami.

From your guys' experience, who has the better run stopping defense and LB corps? Dallas or Philadelphia?

I figure the opinions will be unbiased on this one.

I'm not sure what to make of the Eagles run stop statistics which seem to be worse than Dallas by a decent amount. Of course, they could game plan for run defense by loading up the box, which other teams have done to the Niners in the past.
RE: Brock Purdy is going to get demolished this weekend  
M.S. : 1/24/2023 10:49 am : link
In comment 16011617 Essex said:
Quote:
that is no slight on Purdy but going into Philly in cold weather is not going to be easy for a rookie. Considering they will be in his face all day, it is going to be ugly. I hate that I am writing this, but it is my honest opinion. Plus, he has gotten lucky with a lot of balls that were not picked and the Eagles are ball hawks. It is unfortunately their year.

Just a side note -- he played 4 years with Iowa State in Ames, Iowa, which is freezing cold in November and December.
RE: Wonder what the expert write-ups  
M.S. : 1/24/2023 10:51 am : link
In comment 16011616 Big Blue '56 said:
Quote:
were on him re draft

Don't have the write-ups but he had a fantastic career at Iowa State, throwing for more than 12,000 yards, 68% pass completion and over 80 TDs against 33 INTs.
Dallas game was very conservative.Purdy was lucky about 4 times  
MeanBunny : 1/24/2023 10:52 am : link
He threw some real clunkers, almost was intercepted 2-4 times, Little catch was a circus act and he scrambled backwards, double backed which could have lost 30 yards. Eagles are going to catch him and auger him into the next stone age.
I think people are overrating the Eagles since they dominated us  
PatersonPlank : 1/24/2023 10:55 am : link
SF will win the LOS play. SF has the #1 D (for both rushing and passing) and will give Hurts all kinds of trouble, look at his stats when under pressure. I also happen to think the Cowboys were playing better football at the end of the season and would have beaten the Eagles if they played. The Cowboys D was also rated slightly higher than the Eagles.

IMO the main thing the Eagles have going for them is they are at home. If this was in SF I wouldn't even hesitate betting the 49ers. The 49ers should be able to run the ball and I think the Eagles D will be easier for them to play against than the Cowboys.

I honestly think the Eagles view by a lot of people is based on recency bias. They owned the LOS against us which change everything. This will not happen vs SF.
SF poses a much different  
jvm52106 : 1/24/2023 11:04 am : link
problem for the Eagles. Bosa and that Pass Rush will get through and while Hurts seemed better last week, the Giants gave little pressure or answer to anything the eagles did so hard to tell if he is truly "back".

The 49ers offense will pose a ton of threats on the ground, in the air and they have one main piece that will cause them fits and that is a BIG time TE who will demand at least safety attention in the passing game.

For as easy as we were for the Eagles to match up with, the 49ers are that difficult to match up with. The Boys defense posed problems up front for the 49ers because their best Pass Rushers are strength and speed guys (Parsons and Lawrence). The Eagles are more brute force and that matches up better for the 49ers Oline.
RE: I think people are overrating the Eagles since they dominated us  
M.S. : 1/24/2023 11:07 am : link
In comment 16011728 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
SF will win the LOS play. SF has the #1 D (for both rushing and passing) and will give Hurts all kinds of trouble, look at his stats when under pressure. I also happen to think the Cowboys were playing better football at the end of the season and would have beaten the Eagles if they played. The Cowboys D was also rated slightly higher than the Eagles.

IMO the main thing the Eagles have going for them is they are at home. If this was in SF I wouldn't even hesitate betting the 49ers. The 49ers should be able to run the ball and I think the Eagles D will be easier for them to play against than the Cowboys.

I honestly think the Eagles view by a lot of people is based on recency bias. They owned the LOS against us which change everything. This will not happen vs SF.

Haven't a clue who wins this game but a significant portion of BBI believes Eagles will win the game quite easily. I am not in this camp. For one thing, you can't draw any hard and fast conclusions from the Giants game. Our guys collapsed and they collapsed early, and they made countless mistakes from the Head Coach on down. The Giants are not in the same class as the Eagles, but the result of Saturday night's debacle is more than just a sheer talent issue. The Giants played a terrible game. San Fran will NOT play such an awful game against the Eagles. They practically match the Eagles talent and this will be a highly competitive game.
RE: As I said on another thread he's going to need  
NINEster : 1/24/2023 11:09 am : link
In comment 16011657 Blue21 said:
Quote:
more than 1TD and 4 FGs to beat the Eagles. Probably need 4 TDs and 1FG . I don't like his odds.


The big assumption people are making here is that the Eagles are going to score 30+ without a doubt here, and people writing off Dak and Dallas like they suck.

Maybe that SF/DAL game was going to be a slugfest regardless of QB, and possibly that will carry over this weekend?

All I gotta say is this:

Kyle Shanahan inspires offensive maximization within the framework of what's possible. He can't make a QB elite if he isn't, but I trust his ability to scheme as well as anyone. Last weekend excluded, Shanahan has been more aggressive with Purdy than any QB he's had since Matt Ryan. He admitted to wanting to be more conservative against Dallas than the norm. Maybe he opens it up more against the Eagles if he feels the need to.

And then you combine Quinn changing his philosophy so much, and it was a perfect storm of a tough out.

The Cowboys likely did the Niners a favor going into Philly.
The problem with the Eagles offense  
Essex : 1/24/2023 11:13 am : link
is that they have so many options because of their Oline. They can run hurt, read option hurts with Sanders or Gainwell and if that is taken just go to elite receivers like Brown or Smith or a very good tight end. This team reminds me in ways of the Cowboys of the early 90s with an elite offensive line, an elite TE and WR and a superstar RB. They are really, really good.
Plus the 49ers can get beaten with the Pass  
Essex : 1/24/2023 11:14 am : link
by elite WRs--look at Cee Dee Lamb last week and Devonta Adams a few weeks ago.
RE: SF poses a much different  
bceagle05 : 1/24/2023 11:16 am : link
In comment 16011753 jvm52106 said:
Quote:
For as easy as we were for the Eagles to match up with, the 49ers are that difficult to match up with. The Boys defense posed problems up front for the 49ers because their best Pass Rushers are strength and speed guys (Parsons and Lawrence). The Eagles are more brute force and that matches up better for the 49ers Oline.

Excellent post - I agree with every word but didn't want to copy the whole thing. I'd lean toward a close Philly win, but I don't expect Philly to outclass SF. This won't be a Case Keenum/Vikings type of blowout win that some have predicted.
RE: As I said on another thread he's going to need  
speedywheels : 1/24/2023 11:19 am : link
In comment 16011657 Blue21 said:
Quote:
more than 1TD and 4 FGs to beat the Eagles. Probably need 4 TDs and 1FG . I don't like his odds.


I doubt they are going to need 31 points. SF has the #1 defense, I don't see PHI hanging 30 on them. PHI is very potent on offense no doubt, but so is the SF defense.

We'll just have to wait and see...
RE: RE: SF poses a much different  
Essex : 1/24/2023 11:25 am : link
In comment 16011797 bceagle05 said:
Quote:
In comment 16011753 jvm52106 said:


Quote:


For as easy as we were for the Eagles to match up with, the 49ers are that difficult to match up with. The Boys defense posed problems up front for the 49ers because their best Pass Rushers are strength and speed guys (Parsons and Lawrence). The Eagles are more brute force and that matches up better for the 49ers Oline.


Excellent post - I agree with every word but didn't want to copy the whole thing. I'd lean toward a close Philly win, but I don't expect Philly to outclass SF. This won't be a Case Keenum/Vikings type of blowout win that some have predicted.

I do think if Purdy can be effective (and I am not sure about that at all) the 49ers strength is their play design and how they get YAC. This Eagles team one glaring weakness is their open field tackling. If you saw the game they lost against Washington, the only game they lost with Jalen Hurts, their tackling was very poor. The 49ers will definitely exploit that if, and this is the big if, Purdy can feed them the ball in the face of the Philly pass rush.
......  
Route 9 : 1/24/2023 11:32 am : link
Philly will destroy them. Will not even be close.
SF talent...  
Johnny5 : 1/24/2023 11:37 am : link
... on both sides of the ball will keep them in the game. Especially the defense. But I don't see SF winning this game. I think it will be close until the 3rd quarter.

Sadly. lol
SF beating up on Dallas  
Spiciest Memelord : 1/24/2023 12:34 pm : link
seemed much more impressive than the Eagles picking on the lowly Giants, so not so sure about the certainty that Eagles > SF.

Any let's go Big Cock Brock!
I just hope  
Ceez2.0 : 1/24/2023 1:28 pm : link
the Bengals or Chiefs win it all.
the niners will  
djm : 1/24/2023 1:44 pm : link
be a royal pain in the ass for Philly. I have no doubts. Close game going down to the wire.
RE: I just hope  
Johnny5 : 1/24/2023 1:50 pm : link
In comment 16012135 Ceez2.0 said:
Quote:
the Bengals or Chiefs win it all.

Me too. I'm rooting mostly for the Bengals at this point but I'll be happy with an AFC SB win this year either way. Anyone but the Eagles... but I don't really want SF to win it all either... lol
I remember  
Route 9 : 1/24/2023 1:55 pm : link
hearing the Vikings defense were going to be a problem for the eagles and Foles threw all over them.

A "strong defense" coming into Philly for the NFC championship game with a weak QB. Eh. I hope you guys are right.
RE: I remember  
Sean : 1/24/2023 2:25 pm : link
In comment 16012195 Route 9 said:
Quote:
hearing the Vikings defense were going to be a problem for the eagles and Foles threw all over them.

A "strong defense" coming into Philly for the NFC championship game with a weak QB. Eh. I hope you guys are right.

I agree with this. Obviously hope I’m wrong but this is a brutal spot for Purdy.
The Bengals winning it all would be cool  
Greg from LI : 1/24/2023 2:29 pm : link
The Chiefs? Meh.

Anything else is a disaster.
RE: The problem with the Eagles offense  
Strahan91 : 1/24/2023 2:34 pm : link
In comment 16011786 Essex said:
Quote:
is that they have so many options because of their Oline. They can run hurt, read option hurts with Sanders or Gainwell and if that is taken just go to elite receivers like Brown or Smith or a very good tight end. This team reminds me in ways of the Cowboys of the early 90s with an elite offensive line, an elite TE and WR and a superstar RB. They are really, really good.

SF has the league's best run defense. Their linebackers are as good as it gets in today's NFL. SF actually has better weapons (aside from at QB) and a similarly great OL.
RE: I remember  
NINEster : 1/24/2023 5:31 pm : link
In comment 16012195 Route 9 said:
Quote:
hearing the Vikings defense were going to be a problem for the eagles and Foles threw all over them.

A "strong defense" coming into Philly for the NFC championship game with a weak QB. Eh. I hope you guys are right.


The Niners have pedigree over the Eagles, and especially over the Vikings.

Can't compare the two.

Maybe it's a buzzsaw, but that shouldn't be the automatic assumption.

RE: RE: The problem with the Eagles offense  
NINEster : 1/24/2023 5:51 pm : link
In comment 16012299 Strahan91 said:
Quote:
In comment 16011786 Essex said:


Quote:


is that they have so many options because of their Oline. They can run hurt, read option hurts with Sanders or Gainwell and if that is taken just go to elite receivers like Brown or Smith or a very good tight end. This team reminds me in ways of the Cowboys of the early 90s with an elite offensive line, an elite TE and WR and a superstar RB. They are really, really good.


SF has the league's best run defense. Their linebackers are as good as it gets in today's NFL. SF actually has better weapons (aside from at QB) and a similarly great OL.


I wouldn't throw the QB part in there comparing to Jalen Hurts (Burrow/Mahomes, fine).

After all, Oklahoma beat Iowa State 42-41, with Purdy having better stats than Hurts in that game.

It wasn't long ago that Hurts wasn't all that special at QB. Kinda like the new Lamar Jackson to me......but he's now Josh Allen?

We'll have to wait and see.
RE: RE: Brock Purdy is going to get demolished this weekend  
SomeFan : 1/24/2023 6:20 pm : link
In comment 16011709 M.S. said:
Quote:
In comment 16011617 Essex said:


Quote:


that is no slight on Purdy but going into Philly in cold weather is not going to be easy for a rookie. Considering they will be in his face all day, it is going to be ugly. I hate that I am writing this, but it is my honest opinion. Plus, he has gotten lucky with a lot of balls that were not picked and the Eagles are ball hawks. It is unfortunately their year.


Just a side note -- he played 4 years with Iowa State in Ames, Iowa, which is freezing cold in November and December.
It will be the heat of the Philly defense not the cold of the Linc that likely will be the issue.
RE: I think people are overrating the Eagles since they dominated us  
bw in dc : 1/24/2023 6:26 pm : link
In comment 16011728 PatersonPlank said:
Quote:
SF will win the LOS play. SF has the #1 D (for both rushing and passing) and will give Hurts all kinds of trouble, look at his stats when under pressure. I also happen to think the Cowboys were playing better football at the end of the season and would have beaten the Eagles if they played. The Cowboys D was also rated slightly higher than the Eagles.

IMO the main thing the Eagles have going for them is they are at home. If this was in SF I wouldn't even hesitate betting the 49ers. The 49ers should be able to run the ball and I think the Eagles D will be easier for them to play against than the Cowboys.

I honestly think the Eagles view by a lot of people is based on recency bias. They owned the LOS against us which change everything. This will not happen vs SF.


I'm with you. Purdy has limitations but he's being guided by a coach with a PhD in play calling.

San Fran has been playing in these big games over the last four years. They are built and ready for this.

I expect San Fran to win. And probably by 7 or >.
RE: RE: I remember  
Route 9 : 1/24/2023 7:05 pm : link
In comment 16012662 NINEster said:
Quote:
In comment 16012195 Route 9 said:


Quote:


hearing the Vikings defense were going to be a problem for the eagles and Foles threw all over them.

A "strong defense" coming into Philly for the NFC championship game with a weak QB. Eh. I hope you guys are right.



The Niners have pedigree over the Eagles, and especially over the Vikings.

Can't compare the two.

Maybe it's a buzzsaw, but that shouldn't be the automatic assumption.


Just did and it made sense. If anything, the Eagles offense is way better this time around.

Better hope you're right and you're so sure of your team. Also that QB of yours. Don't run and hide either if your defense gets bitched out. I'm going to tell you a thing or two.

Serve a purpose.
RE: RE: I think people are overrating the Eagles since they dominated us  
BillKo : 1/24/2023 7:41 pm : link
In comment 16012718 bw in dc said:
Quote:
In comment 16011728 PatersonPlank said:


Quote:


SF will win the LOS play. SF has the #1 D (for both rushing and passing) and will give Hurts all kinds of trouble, look at his stats when under pressure. I also happen to think the Cowboys were playing better football at the end of the season and would have beaten the Eagles if they played. The Cowboys D was also rated slightly higher than the Eagles.

IMO the main thing the Eagles have going for them is they are at home. If this was in SF I wouldn't even hesitate betting the 49ers. The 49ers should be able to run the ball and I think the Eagles D will be easier for them to play against than the Cowboys.

I honestly think the Eagles view by a lot of people is based on recency bias. They owned the LOS against us which change everything. This will not happen vs SF.



I'm with you. Purdy has limitations but he's being guided by a coach with a PhD in play calling.

San Fran has been playing in these big games over the last four years. They are built and ready for this.

I expect San Fran to win. And probably by 7 or >.


Same.

Underestimating a team that has terrific talent at EVERY level on both sides of the ball.

I also think that a ton of what the Eagles do on defense is all based on their pass rush - obviously right? But when they aren't getting home, their back 7 is going to be very susceptible to what San Fran can throw at them.

Purdy of course is the big unknown. This team as won 12 straight including playoffs? If he maintains his composure they'll have a great shot at winning.
RE: RE: RE: I remember  
BillKo : 1/24/2023 7:44 pm : link
In comment 16012746 Route 9 said:
Quote:
In comment 16012662 NINEster said:


Quote:


In comment 16012195 Route 9 said:


Quote:


hearing the Vikings defense were going to be a problem for the eagles and Foles threw all over them.

A "strong defense" coming into Philly for the NFC championship game with a weak QB. Eh. I hope you guys are right.



The Niners have pedigree over the Eagles, and especially over the Vikings.

Can't compare the two.

Maybe it's a buzzsaw, but that shouldn't be the automatic assumption.




Just did and it made sense. If anything, the Eagles offense is way better this time around.

Better hope you're right and you're so sure of your team. Also that QB of yours. Don't run and hide either if your defense gets bitched out. I'm going to tell you a thing or two.

Serve a purpose.


Ehhh, while the 49ers have the pedigree the Vikes have always been a choke team. In retrospect, the Vikes shouldn't have even been there. New Orleans probably defeats Philly? Certainly a better match.

And I'd say, in the moment, a Foles team that put up 30+ and then 40+ in back to back games will be hard to top, even by this Eagles offense.
Yap. Yap. Yap.  
Route 9 : 1/24/2023 7:57 pm : link
Do your part and knock those scumbags out. I'm still not convinced. Your team is going to get fucking rolled.
RE: Eagles are going to demolish the 49'ers  
speedywheels : 1/28/2023 9:56 pm : link
In comment 16011632 I Love Clams Casino said:
Quote:
..that is all


Sounds like you haven’t watched any Niners games this year.

I have. They aren’t getting “demolished”. Book it
...  
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 1/29/2023 8:48 am : link
While I fear the Eagles are going to win, I think SF will make a game out of it. I just hope the moment isn't too big for Brock; that's going to be one wild, rabid, drunk AF crowd this afternoon.
I'd bet the Eagles  
bc4life : 1/29/2023 9:08 am : link
but 49ers have a very good run defense and Hurts is still a relatively young QB, so I'm sure 49ers will add some wrinkles.

Coaching - Shanahan's brain may be the difference
Purdy,  
fkap : 1/29/2023 9:18 am : link
If you can only have one hero game in your career, please, please, please, let it be today.

You can fold in two weeks. Although, since I don't hate the current 49ers as much as I do Joe Burrow's dress style, or Reid, it won't break my heart if you go the distance.

Amen
Back to the Corner