for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum
Back to the Corner

Archived Thread

Giants Extend PK Graham Gano

Eric from BBI : Admin : 9/8/2023 4:37 pm
New York Giants

@Giants

20s
Gano extended 馃檶
...
Eric from BBI : Admin : 9/8/2023 4:38 pm : link
The Giants have signed kicker Graham Gano to a three-year contract extension.
Seems like a no brainer
ThreePoints : 9/8/2023 4:38 pm : link
.
That is good news
Sec 103 : 9/8/2023 4:38 pm : link
!
...
Eric from BBI : Admin : 9/8/2023 4:39 pm : link
Pat Leonard
@PLeonardNYDN

1m
The Giants have signed K Graham Gano to a 3-year contract extension. Should help them free up some cap space this season. Was in the plans for a while
Excellent!
Vinny from Danbury : 9/8/2023 4:39 pm : link
.
Great news
Danny Kanell : 9/8/2023 4:40 pm : link
Best Giants kicker in my lifetime.
Love that!
Dave in Hoboken : 9/8/2023 4:40 pm : link
.
...
christian : 9/8/2023 4:41 pm : link
Excellent. He's been fantastic.
Now extend the Scottish Hammer.
SFGFNCGiantsFan : 9/8/2023 4:43 pm : link
To a lifetime contract. I kid.
Hell yea
Jay on the Island : 9/8/2023 4:43 pm : link
The best kicker in Giants history.
you can all thank Gettleman..
Goin Deep : 9/8/2023 4:43 pm : link
one of the very few fa that worked out well,
Over The CAP
Y28 : 9/8/2023 4:49 pm : link

Y28 : 9/4/2023 10:10 am : link : reply

Graham Gano becomes a free agent in February at the age of 36. He is a valuable team captain who will have earned over $40 million lifetime at season's end.

No Giants fan wants to see Gano leave. He has been reasonable in his prior negotiations and I think we could all agree as fans that we would like to see his time as a Giant extended a few more years.
RE: Hell yea
Gfan in PA : 9/8/2023 4:49 pm : link
In comment 16196019 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
The best kicker in Giants history.


Matt Bahr and Lawrence Tines beg to differ...
Wonder how much
Gjfro : 9/8/2023 4:59 pm : link
cap relief?
RE: RE: Hell yea
Jay on the Island : 9/8/2023 4:59 pm : link
In comment 16196026 Gfan in PA said:
Quote:
In comment 16196019 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


The best kicker in Giants history.



Matt Bahr and Lawrence Tines beg to differ...

Tynes? Come on man.
Tynes was lucky
ElitoCanton : 9/8/2023 5:05 pm : link
he got a third chance in Green Bay. I still can't believe he was short on the kick against Philly in 2012.
Gano
GF1080 : 9/8/2023 5:05 pm : link
$16.5 million over 3 years. $11.5 guaranteed per Garafalo.
RE: RE: RE: Hell yea
Gfan in PA : 9/8/2023 5:07 pm : link
In comment 16196034 Jay on the Island said:
Quote:
In comment 16196026 Gfan in PA said:


Quote:


In comment 16196019 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


The best kicker in Giants history.



Matt Bahr and Lawrence Tines beg to differ...


Tynes? Come on man.


Crap! Was worried about Bahr...my bad
...
Eric from BBI : Admin : 9/8/2023 5:16 pm : link
Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

22m

#Giants K Graham Gano gets $16.5 million over three years on his contract extension, source says. A little more than $11.3 million fully guaranteed. Money in the bank for a money kicker.
Gano vs Tynes as Giants
Jay on the Island : 9/8/2023 5:19 pm : link
Tynes 6 years 83.6 FG%
5/10 from 50+ - 50%

Gano 3 years 91.8 FG%
20/25 from 50+ - 80%
...
Eric from BBI : Admin : 9/8/2023 5:20 pm : link
Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

2m
Replying to
@DDuggan21
Will be curious to see how this impacts the cap. There wasn鈥檛 a ton to work with to lower his cap hit this year. His salary was $3.75M, that can be lowered to $1.165M as part of the extension. But assuming there鈥檚 a signing bonus, there鈥檚 probably not going to be much savings.
RE: RE: Hell yea
regulator : 9/8/2023 5:31 pm : link
In comment 16196026 Gfan in PA said:
Quote:
In comment 16196019 Jay on the Island said:


Quote:


The best kicker in Giants history.



Matt Bahr and Lawrence Tines beg to differ...


If Gano nails a big kick in a big (playoff) game... the crown is his IMO. The best Giants kicker I've ever watched.
RE: ...
HBart : 9/8/2023 5:32 pm : link
In comment 16196050 Eric from BBI said:
Quote:
Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

2m
Replying to
@DDuggan21
Will be curious to see how this impacts the cap. There wasn鈥檛 a ton to work with to lower his cap hit this year. His salary was $3.75M, that can be lowered to $1.165M as part of the extension. But assuming there鈥檚 a signing bonus, there鈥檚 probably not going to be much savings.

Why would Schoen extend him right now for no cap savings?
RE: RE: ...
Amtoft : 9/8/2023 5:41 pm : link
In comment 16196060 HBart said:
Quote:
In comment 16196050 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

2m
Replying to
@DDuggan21
Will be curious to see how this impacts the cap. There wasn鈥檛 a ton to work with to lower his cap hit this year. His salary was $3.75M, that can be lowered to $1.165M as part of the extension. But assuming there鈥檚 a signing bonus, there鈥檚 probably not going to be much savings.


Why would Schoen extend him right now for no cap savings?


Why would we extend one of the best kickers in the league? Ummm going to go out on a limb and say... so we have one of the best kickers in the league signed long term?
probably will save
ElitoCanton : 9/8/2023 5:42 pm : link
around a million on the cap. They is not nothing with where the Giants are right now in relation to the cap. Every little bit helps.
RE: RE: RE: ...
HBart : 9/8/2023 5:53 pm : link
In comment 16196066 Amtoft said:
Quote:
In comment 16196060 HBart said:


Quote:


In comment 16196050 Eric from BBI said:


Quote:


Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

2m
Replying to
@DDuggan21
Will be curious to see how this impacts the cap. There wasn鈥檛 a ton to work with to lower his cap hit this year. His salary was $3.75M, that can be lowered to $1.165M as part of the extension. But assuming there鈥檚 a signing bonus, there鈥檚 probably not going to be much savings.


Why would Schoen extend him right now for no cap savings?



Why would we extend one of the best kickers in the league? Ummm going to go out on a limb and say... so we have one of the best kickers in the league signed long term?


Not why would we extend him. Why would we extend him now when we need cap room if there's no cap savings?
I would assume
Chip : 9/8/2023 6:03 pm : link
a little over 2 mil in cap savings would be my guess.
christian : 9/8/2023 6:17 pm : link
3.75 2023 salary down to 1.165 vet minimum.

So 2.6 gets converted to a bonus, amortized over 5 years.

My guess is his 2023 cap hit is:

1.165M salary
.52M restructure bonus
1.8M legacy bonus

3.4M down from 5.5M

RE: Gano
TommyWiseau : 9/8/2023 6:43 pm : link
In comment 16196038 GF1080 said:
Quote:
$16.5 million over 3 years. $11.5 guaranteed per Garafalo.


Worth every damn penny. This is Gettleman鈥檚 best signing by FAR
Gano MVP
jmalls23 : 9/8/2023 6:45 pm : link
And it is not close
RE: Tynes was lucky
RobCrossRiver56 : 9/8/2023 6:48 pm : link
In comment 16196037 ElitoCanton said:
Quote:
he got a third chance in Green Bay. I still can't believe he was short on the kick against Philly in 2012.


Luck is the time when preparation and opportunity meet..
RE: RE: Tynes was lucky
k2tampa : 9/8/2023 7:46 pm : link
In comment 16196097 RobCrossRiver56 said:
Quote:
In comment 16196037 ElitoCanton said:


Quote:


he got a third chance in Green Bay. I still can't believe he was short on the kick against Philly in 2012.



Luck is the time when preparation and opportunity meet..


To be fair, Tynes is the only kicker to have two game winning field goal in OT in the playoffs (both in NFC championship games). The winning FG at GB was the first time a visiting kicker made a FG of 40 yards or more at Lambeau in the playoffs. And it was in probably the 3rd coldest NFL game ever. He made 3 of 5 FGs that day kicking a brick.
RE: RE: Gano
Chef : 9/8/2023 8:41 pm : link
In comment 16196092 TommyWiseau said:
Quote:
In comment 16196038 GF1080 said:


Quote:


$16.5 million over 3 years. $11.5 guaranteed per Garafalo.



Worth every damn penny. This is Gettleman鈥檚 best signing by FAR


This right here.. watched him boot boot a 57 and I believe a 54 yarder vs the Jets this Preseason... worth every penny...
He鈥檚 a machine
BillT : 9/8/2023 8:54 pm : link
As good as any. Pay the man!
Giants had many good to great FG kickers during their history.
Ivan15 : 9/8/2023 10:30 pm : link
From Ben Agajanian and then Pat Summerall in the 1950s, and Don Chandler and Pete Gogolak in the 1960s. Then a succession of kickers in the 1980s and onward.

Unfortunately, they didn鈥檛 stay in NY for many years. Agajanian was here for 5 seasons and Summerall and Gogolak stayed around for a while. If Gano stays for the full contract, he may have longevity.
this is the right way to create cap room
Eric on Li : 9/8/2023 11:03 pm : link
interesting this happened like 1 week after schoen said "nothing on the docket". kickers are people too.
Always follow the numbers
Optimus-NY : 9/8/2023 11:32 pm : link
Gano extension was a no-brainer. Proly around $2M in cap savings. Tyrod Taylor is another guy that they can fiddle around with (slight extension) and get some more cap savings. Glowinski's contract can also be played with to create added cap room. They most likely don't want to touch Leo or Adoree's contracts.
happy
mpinmaine : 9/8/2023 11:39 pm : link
but there is P
at Summerall to consider as the best no?

and barr was clutch
Bahr
mpinmaine : 9/8/2023 11:42 pm : link
I know may here get pissed about spellling..

Matt bahr made MY favorite kick FWIW
Bahr
mpinmaine : 9/8/2023 11:42 pm : link
I know may here get pissed about spellling..

Matt bahr made MY favorite kick FWIW
Ali Haji-Sheikh And Raul Allegra!
GiantBlue : 9/9/2023 1:12 am : link
And don鈥檛 forget Bill Parcells pulling Bjorn Nittmo out of the classroom to kick field goals after Raul was injured I believe!

You should never extend a player for
mfjmfj : 9/9/2023 5:33 am : link
cap savings. You should almost never refuse to extend a player because of cap hit. Your decision should be based only on whether they are worth the additional cash you are promising them and if now is the right time (based on minimizing that cash number, properly accounting for injury risk, overall team dynamics, etc.). The cash you have paid, are paying, and have promised to pay matter immensely. Cap savings is meaningless. Just move someone else's money around if you have to.
RE: You should never extend a player for
Optimus-NY : 9/9/2023 9:53 am : link
In comment 16196246 mfjmfj said:
Quote:
cap savings. You should almost never refuse to extend a player because of cap hit. Your decision should be based only on whether they are worth the additional cash you are promising them and if now is the right time (based on minimizing that cash number, properly accounting for injury risk, overall team dynamics, etc.). The cash you have paid, are paying, and have promised to pay matter immensely. Cap savings is meaningless. Just move someone else's money around if you have to.


They just did.
RE: You should never extend a player for
Eric on Li : 9/9/2023 11:38 am : link
In comment 16196246 mfjmfj said:
Quote:
cap savings. You should almost never refuse to extend a player because of cap hit. Your decision should be based only on whether they are worth the additional cash you are promising them and if now is the right time (based on minimizing that cash number, properly accounting for injury risk, overall team dynamics, etc.). The cash you have paid, are paying, and have promised to pay matter immensely. Cap savings is meaningless. Just move someone else's money around if you have to.


this is a misunderstanding of why gano's cap # was what it was in the first place. this decision to extend didnt start today, it started 2 offseasons ago:

1. gano's cap hit was inflated this year because they needed to create cap room last year, so they restructured him moving money from last year to this year.
https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/21/new-york-giants-rework-graham-gano-contract-clear-2022-cap-space/

2. they chose to restructure gano last year precisely because they viewed him as a good enough player that he might be a candidate they wanted to extend this year. they restructured gano in march, before they were forced to tap into adoree jackson (april) or leonard williams (sept) contracts for more cap room.

3. they got through 1 full season and an entire camp with him doing enough on the field to prove their prediction correct, so they extended him. of course him being a good kicker they wanted on their roster was the essential factor in that decision, as it was last year when they restructured him in the first place.

his new contract has 11.3m guaranteed in it. his prior 2023 salary was 3.75m this year which he was almost certain to receive, so the new deal is a net increase of 7.55m guaranteed for 2 more years after this one. they are expected to save $2m against the cap this year.

post-jones, the alternatives to create that kind of cap room would have been to guarantee williams or jackson 4-5m, spreading half of that to next year, but getting no new years of those players under contract. paying gano a little more to keep a quality kicker for 2 more years seems like an obviously better decision than putting almost the same amount of money on future caps and getting no new years, right?
...
christian : 9/9/2023 12:20 pm : link
Converting practically guaranteed money into a bonus that can be amortized is good accounting.

This one of the rare occasions I completely agree with Eric on the accounting.
RE: ...
Eric on Li : 9/9/2023 1:20 pm : link
In comment 16196414 christian said:
Quote:
Converting practically guaranteed money into a bonus that can be amortized is good accounting.

This one of the rare occasions I completely agree with Eric on the accounting.


You鈥檇 have been agreeing with me all along if I鈥檇 used the word amortize.
christian : 9/9/2023 6:16 pm : link
You'd a
...
christian : 9/9/2023 6:16 pm : link
* You'd always have me at amortize.

I love when the team spends future money at a discount.
Back to the Corner