for display only
Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
Back to the Corner

NFL Christmas Day games moving to Netflix

DanMetroMan : 5/15/2024 10:14 am
Square profile picture
Front Office Sports
@FOS
NEWS: Netflix has officially acquired rights to the NFL's Christmas Day games in a three-year deal.

It will mark Netflix's first live event with a major U.S. sports league.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
I should be happy that the Yanks are on PRIME or APPLE + too?  
djm : 5/16/2024 12:48 pm : link
even though I was sold a bill of goods when YES told us "you want all the Yankee games that aren't on local TV, here buy this product" only to find out today we don't get all those Yankee games anymore now do we. Now I have to pay for something additional.

But that's just more choices! It was all so obvious....
again  
djm : 5/16/2024 12:49 pm : link
I pay for the streamers. I don't really give a fuck. I can still watch Yankees on prime. I can still watch the BS playoff game on peacock. Same with NF or NFL on prime. I get them all. I have the money to spend.

It's still bullshit. I can do math.
Who argued it wasn’t a cash grab?  
UConn4523 : 5/16/2024 12:54 pm : link
Of course the NFL is greedy. Of course I’d love to pay as little as possible, who wouldn’t? But I also enjoy the benefits of streaming vs cable, which you apparently do not. And that’s fine.
Streaming 98.999%  
IchabodGiant : 5/16/2024 12:57 pm : link
Better than cable.
RE: Who argued it wasn’t a cash grab?  
djm : 5/16/2024 12:57 pm : link
In comment 16516870 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
Of course the NFL is greedy. Of course I’d love to pay as little as possible, who wouldn’t? But I also enjoy the benefits of streaming vs cable, which you apparently do not. And that’s fine.


Uh, you guys did! I came here merely lamenting how this sucks for the die hard football fan because it's gonna cost us more and the streamer fan boi police here came raining down on how out of touch I am.

Just move on. lol.
RE: Streaming 98.999%  
djm : 5/16/2024 12:58 pm : link
In comment 16516874 IchabodGiant said:
Quote:
Better than cable.


Nope it's not. It's merely mobile. It's not better. Not by any stretch.
RE: RE: Streaming 98.999%  
IchabodGiant : 5/16/2024 1:02 pm : link
In comment 16516877 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 16516874 IchabodGiant said:


Quote:


Better than cable.



Nope it's not. It's merely mobile. It's not better. Not by any stretch.


Thumbs up.
RE: RE: Streaming 98.999%  
JohnG in Albany : 5/16/2024 1:05 pm : link
In comment 16516877 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 16516874 IchabodGiant said:


Quote:


Better than cable.



Nope it's not. It's merely mobile. It's not better. Not by any stretch.


I would agree with djm here.

Mobile, yes.

Better? Not in my experience.
last thing  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:12 pm : link
since it's implied that I represent the minority. No. Most fans watch sports via traditional methods.

Quote:
During an April 2023 survey, it was found that around 70 percent of respondents who watched sports preferred to follow the action on traditional TV.


So most people aren't happy with this development and even the streaming soldier boys are not better off with this development. You all own regular tv and services or most of you do. Even then, can't the NFL sell out its games to ONLY one streaming platform? They have to sell out to 3 or 4?

No one begrudges anyone from preferring streaming services to cable. Like I said, I use them too. Streaming has its place and benefits. This latest sell out isn't benefitting the same number of people that are now asked to pay more money. Not even close. Just stop.
...  
christian : 5/16/2024 1:14 pm : link
You seem like a bit of a troubled person. All anyone is trying to do is relay facts to help folks out with making choices.

You've made a number of incorrect assertions on this thread. You've implied there wasn't a streaming service with access to the local broadcasters of the four major sports, and that is incorrect.

You've implied the streaming package providers do not provide DVR, which is incorrect.

If the basis of your anger is simply that some of the national, out-of-market games are now on the standalone streaming services, just stick to that.
I am trobled?  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:27 pm : link
that's your fucking retort? Annoyed is not the same as troubled. Yes I was annoyed at having to post the same thing 10 times just to make a point.

I am not troubled at all but thx for the condescending asshole remark. Next time you call someone troubled make sure it's not in person.
RE: ...  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:29 pm : link
In comment 16516900 christian said:
Quote:
You seem like a bit of a troubled person. All anyone is trying to do is relay facts to help folks out with making choices.

You've made a number of incorrect assertions on this thread. You've implied there wasn't a streaming service with access to the local broadcasters of the four major sports, and that is incorrect.

You've implied the streaming package providers do not provide DVR, which is incorrect.

If the basis of your anger is simply that some of the national, out-of-market games are now on the standalone streaming services, just stick to that.


And all those things are false. I didn't imply anything, You did. I actually stated there are methods in place that allow for someone so stream more or less the same shit available on cable. I actually said that numerous times.

I said this is yet another death by 1000 cuts method to bleed the fan out of more money. Then you came along championing for streaming services as if you fucking own the stock.

What a fucking dumb thing to argue over. Thx radar.
...  
christian : 5/16/2024 1:32 pm : link
For those of us interested in collaborating on the best options to watch all the games, this what I believe will do it for a local viewer to watch all local and the national games. Did I miss anything?

Netflix Standard with Ads - $6.99/M
Peacock Premium with Ads - $5.99/M
Prime Video - $8.99/M
Paramount+ Essential - $5.99/M
Fubo TV Plus - $79.99/M

For a total of $107.95/M tops. But I as those services are a la carte and no-contract, you can take them only for the times you need them.
...  
christian : 5/16/2024 1:39 pm : link
In comment 16516927 djm said:
Quote:
And all those things are false. I didn't imply anything, You did. I actually stated there are methods in place that allow for someone so stream more or less the same shit available on cable. I actually said that numerous times.

djm on DVR:
Quote:
To me, no DVR is a deal breaker and there are many other negatives.

djm on access to the major 4 sports
Quote:
I've checked into it so many times now. Cutting the cord is untenable or not financially viable it if you're a fan of the 4 pro sports.

Quote:
You're getting less than you got 10 years ago. Also, if you're a Knicks Rangers Yankees fan you aint watching them anymore.


So just to be clear you actually didn't mean those things you said, correct?
I have those streamers except paramount  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:41 pm : link
streaming sports isn't as seamless as sports viewing on cable tv. Cable TV is simply a better more consistent medium, especially or specifically with regards to sports viewing and DVR service notably, switching between live or delayed events.

Watch a Knicks and Yankee game simultaneously on cable TV with a DVR. IT's seamless. Do the same on a streaming platform(s)--it's anything but.

Don't blame anyone for preferring one to the other. Also, my cable tv bill isn't even that bad when bundled with the internet high speed. It's worth the cost. And if it wasn't, i'd gladly switch to all streams and still be bitching today that the NFL pimped itself out to yet another outlet.
RE: ...  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:44 pm : link
In comment 16516942 christian said:
Quote:
In comment 16516927 djm said:


Quote:


And all those things are false. I didn't imply anything, You did. I actually stated there are methods in place that allow for someone so stream more or less the same shit available on cable. I actually said that numerous times.


djm on DVR:


Quote:


To me, no DVR is a deal breaker and there are many other negatives.


djm on access to the major 4 sports


Quote:


I've checked into it so many times now. Cutting the cord is untenable or not financially viable it if you're a fan of the 4 pro sports.




Quote:


You're getting less than you got 10 years ago. Also, if you're a Knicks Rangers Yankees fan you aint watching them anymore.



So just to be clear you actually didn't mean those things you said, correct?


Yes I said those things. WTF does that have to do with anything you said? The DVR services on a streamer, when you're trying to watch 2 things at once ISN'T as seamless! I know DVR exists in stream land. I have the products dude. Again 100 times now, I know what each product offers. I have used them all extensively.

dude  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:44 pm : link
go dry hump a fire TV lol.
...  
christian : 5/16/2024 1:45 pm : link
Your issue is jumping back and forth between recorded programs?
you're nitpicking  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:49 pm : link
just to make a point that isn't relevant. My point was and is simple. You want to debate the virtues of streaming be my guest. I know what they offer. I have done hours and hours of research. I don't want to cut the cord because the alternative isn't as enjoyable and the cost savings isn't as great as maybe some here might think. The juice aint worth the squeeze. You don't need to sell me or enlighten me on what the platforms offer. I knw what they offer but thanks for info anyway.

ALl I said was it sucks that the NFL random prime time game has been sold to yet another potential monthly expense. Sheese.
Djm  
UConn4523 : 5/16/2024 1:50 pm : link
your costs are wrong, for starters, among other things. If you took a step back you’d see that I’m not arguing for the greed of the NFL, rather, that the costs are still less than what I used to pay despite it being a cash grab. Christian broke down the costs, as have I. You are moving goalposts and claiming things that we didn’t say.

In sum, the nfl is greedy. Streaming is convenient for me with better picture quality and is set up well for the future. The cost differences are less for some, more for others but overall fairly negligible when you factor in cancelling whenever you want. Switching between several apps can be annoying but ultimately a 5-10 second task, same with canceling.

Did I forget anything.
...  
christian : 5/16/2024 1:50 pm : link
Small bit of advice, if you want to debate facts and add value to the discussion, you should edit your posts for accuracy and brevity. And take quaalude.

Do you think it's enjoyable and respectful to others when you spam up threads with jumbled, and inaccurate posts?
RE: ...  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:52 pm : link
In comment 16516961 christian said:
Quote:
Your issue is jumping back and forth between recorded programs?


I mean, yes, that's a big one. I DVR shit all the time. I coach youth sports and this time of year don't get home until 8ish or later when the games are already under way. Even during the NFL season I dvr so many games. I can watch a sunday night game and switch over to the Knicks or Rangers, live or also recorded. It's awesome for me. I get to skip commercials. I can squeeze in 2 games at once in the span of 1 hour.

That't not all of it but a big component. Also, admittedly, I just like cable TV.

Didn't mean to tell you to dry hump a fire tv. That would be kind of awkward anyway.
RE: ...  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:54 pm : link
In comment 16516966 christian said:
Quote:
Small bit of advice, if you want to debate facts and add value to the discussion, you should edit your posts for accuracy and brevity. And take quaalude.

Do you think it's enjoyable and respectful to others when you spam up threads with jumbled, and inaccurate posts?


Or, maybe just ignore my posts.

Find me one thing I said that wasn't accurate? You're too defensive about precious streaming services.
RE: Djm  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:56 pm : link
In comment 16516965 UConn4523 said:
Quote:
your costs are wrong, for starters, among other things. If you took a step back you’d see that I’m not arguing for the greed of the NFL, rather, that the costs are still less than what I used to pay despite it being a cash grab. Christian broke down the costs, as have I. You are moving goalposts and claiming things that we didn’t say.

In sum, the nfl is greedy. Streaming is convenient for me with better picture quality and is set up well for the future. The cost differences are less for some, more for others but overall fairly negligible when you factor in cancelling whenever you want. Switching between several apps can be annoying but ultimately a 5-10 second task, same with canceling.

Did I forget anything.


Fine, you're paying less.

It costs LESS these days.

Got it.

.
RE: ...  
djm : 5/16/2024 1:58 pm : link
In comment 16516966 christian said:
Quote:
Small bit of advice, if you want to debate facts and add value to the discussion, you should edit your posts for accuracy and brevity. And take quaalude.

Do you think it's enjoyable and respectful to others when you spam up threads with jumbled, and inaccurate posts?


Better yet, take the fire TV and shove it up your ass instead. How's that for accurate. And respectful.
...  
christian : 5/16/2024 1:59 pm : link
In comment 16516972 djm said:
Quote:
Find me one thing I said that wasn't accurate? You're too defensive about precious streaming services.


Again, all everyone else is trying to achieve in this thread is relay facts and options.

This is seemingly a very emotional issue for you. I have no idea why.

As I posted above, these are two patently inaccurate assertions you made previously.
Link - ( New Window )
not emotional at all  
djm : 5/16/2024 2:10 pm : link
you just aggravated me a little bit by twisting shit around or forcing me to reiterate the same points over and over.

IN summary:

The thread concerns the NFL adding more games to yet another streamer. I said it sucks because it's inevitably gonna cost us all more money. I then clearly said both outlets (streaming and cable TV) have their pros and cons and I don't blame anyone from preferring one to the other. Also said facts show most NFL and sports fans watch sports via traditional TV. Then pointed out pretty clearly why I prefer the DVR services on cable TV vs streaming. Then was told to take a quaalude. Got any? They are next to impossible to find these days.
RE: ...  
djm : 5/16/2024 2:11 pm : link
In comment 16516984 christian said:
Quote:
In comment 16516972 djm said:


Quote:


Find me one thing I said that wasn't accurate? You're too defensive about precious streaming services.



Again, all everyone else is trying to achieve in this thread is relay facts and options.

This is seemingly a very emotional issue for you. I have no idea why.

As I posted above, these are two patently inaccurate assertions you made previously. Link - ( New Window )


This is what they call gas lighting someone. You're being a dick. I explained my stance rather clearly. Maybe you should stop now.
wow u got me  
djm : 5/16/2024 2:23 pm : link
is this what you want?

Quote:
To me, no DVR is a deal breaker and there are many other negatives.
You need to be correct or told you're right, that badly? Fine, the wording there was a little off, I meant to say the DVR service on the streaming giants is not as seamless or efficient or whatever fucking word you want me to use, it is not as enjoyable than the cable tv version. Happy now?

I've checked into it so many times now. Cutting the cord is untenable or not financially viable it if you're a fan of the 4 pro sports.--I stand by this. Each choice comes with a cost and sacrifice. You don't need to sell me on anything.

Quote:
You're getting less than you got 10 years ago. Also, if you're a Knicks Rangers Yankees fan you aint watching them anymore. This is just opinion but I stand by it.


We can agree to disagree. Thx for the most annoying debate ever.
RE: ...  
IchabodGiant : 5/16/2024 2:28 pm : link
In comment 16516942 christian said:
Quote:
In comment 16516927 djm said:


Quote:


And all those things are false. I didn't imply anything, You did. I actually stated there are methods in place that allow for someone so stream more or less the same shit available on cable. I actually said that numerous times.


djm on DVR:


Quote:


To me, no DVR is a deal breaker and there are many other negatives.


djm on access to the major 4 sports


Quote:


I've checked into it so many times now. Cutting the cord is untenable or not financially viable it if you're a fan of the 4 pro sports.




Quote:


You're getting less than you got 10 years ago. Also, if you're a Knicks Rangers Yankees fan you aint watching them anymore.



So just to be clear you actually didn't mean those things you said, correct?


LOL. Classic djm.
you can get Knicks Rangers games  
djm : 5/16/2024 2:31 pm : link
i still dont want to cut the cord and that wasn't the point here anyway.

RE: RE: RE: RE: ...  
The Dude : 5/16/2024 2:42 pm : link
In comment 16516712 djm said:
Quote:
In comment 16516332 The Dude said:


Quote:


In comment 16515983 djm said:


Quote:


In comment 16515900 christian said:


Quote:


For reasons beyond my comprehension this subject has an emotional component I don't understand. What I do understand is price and choice.

Netflix Standard with Ads - $6.99/M
Peacock Premium with Ads - $5.99/M
Prime Video - $8.99/M
Paramount+ Essential - $5.99/M
ESPN+ - 10.99/M
OTA HD Antenna - $9.99 one time cost

For $40 a month you can get a great package of content. What's the most exciting is that ESPN will be introducing their live stream product next year and if they buy NFLN, that means MNF and ad hoc NFLN games will be included there.




What is so hard to process?


How on earth some of you need to be taught why this sucks I will never know.

Oe more time, every time a game that was normally accessible via network TV, cable TV or the football package gets moved to yet a new outlet that costs money, the fan now has to pay more money.

10 years ago you simply needed cable and network TV to watch every prime time game. This is a stone cold fact. Now, that same poor slob that still pays for network TV and cable TV can no longer watch every prime time game.

It aint hard to figure out.



??????????????????????????????????

It's not 10 years ago? Theres less poor slobs that even are subscribed to pay TV than you think. Accessibility, a fine and decent point.

I'm lost about "it aint hard to figure out"....many have "figured out" that there is no reason to pay cable companies anymore...



One more time. Everyone. ONE MORE TIME!

How much money did one have to spend 10-20 years ago if they wanted to watch EVERY NFL game? Shit, forget every game...how much did someone have to pay if they simply wanted to watch every PRIME TIME game? How much? Let's take a stab and say it was about 100 bucks per month. You had to have basic cable and maybe one more channel like NFL network. So lets say it was about 150. That guarnteed you could watch every sunday night game and every monday night game and every TNF game. And you got the usual shit on Sundays and even redzone. LEt's say 150.

Try paying 150 (or whatever the number was from back then) now and see how many prime time games you miss.

You have to spend more money for the same product. Not just inflation either. If I want every prime time game and still keep the basic cable TV package--let's put that # at around 180-190 (inflation that's fine not the complaint) you still need to then pay for PRIME (TNF) and NF. So add in another 30-40 bucks per month.

Bye. Good luck.


Lmao, one more time....cable bills have been fairly high for over a decade now...what the hell are you paying for?

I've saved money, relative to market, and still watch every game. You note inflation, but I'm not sure you understand it............

Put the price of watching nfl games up against any other popular product on a chart the past 20 years
DJM  
The Dude : 5/16/2024 2:46 pm : link
is misinterpret talking about pricing and changing viewer behavior as being pro greedy NFL. No shit they did this for money. Why are you lashing out on people on an internet forum.
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: ...  
IchabodGiant : 5/16/2024 2:46 pm : link
The Dude....shhhhh...djm can't hear you over his ranting and raving like an old dinosaur.
fine  
djm : 5/16/2024 2:48 pm : link
Who know all this time...it's cheaper.

Thx for the insight. This plays like a fucking Xbox PS4 debate.
RE: DJM  
djm : 5/16/2024 2:50 pm : link
In comment 16517054 The Dude said:
Quote:
is misinterpret talking about pricing and changing viewer behavior as being pro greedy NFL. No shit they did this for money. Why are you lashing out on people on an internet forum.


Ok. Why so mad.
ok thx guys  
djm : 5/16/2024 2:52 pm : link


I'll make sure to only complain about the shit you deem worthy.

Enjoy your streams.

I dont know how old you are  
The Dude : 5/16/2024 2:55 pm : link
but I'm fairly certain that in a few years, if you re-read everything your saying to strangers on the internet.....you'll be in severe pain from cringing.

If you're angry about something else in life and you're taking it out on us..knock it off.

Make respect cool again.
RE: fine  
The Dude : 5/16/2024 2:56 pm : link
In comment 16517060 djm said:
Quote:
Who know all this time...it's cheaper.

Thx for the insight. This plays like a fucking Xbox PS4 debate.


I don't necessarily understand the comparison but it being a video game console debate tells me everything.
RE: RE: fine  
IchabodGiant : 5/16/2024 3:05 pm : link
In comment 16517080 The Dude said:
Quote:
In comment 16517060 djm said:


Quote:


Who know all this time...it's cheaper.

Thx for the insight. This plays like a fucking Xbox PS4 debate.



I don't necessarily understand the comparison but it being a video game console debate tells me everything.


I hope he keeps his cool a lot more when he's coaching those youngins in youth sports.
hey JEff Bridges  
djm : 5/16/2024 3:06 pm : link
I haven't said a thing to you. The only person I got a little sour with was Christian and that's really because we were going back n forth again. I generally don't get too nasty here with anyone and try to end things on a positive note. I generally treat people with respect. Maybe mind your own and let this one go.
you guys aint gonna quit  
djm : 5/16/2024 3:08 pm : link
nice job.
RE: you guys aint gonna quit  
IchabodGiant : 5/16/2024 3:09 pm : link
In comment 16517100 djm said:
Quote:
nice job.


No, I'm quitting now. Enjoy the rest of your day.
 
christian : 5/16/2024 3:10 pm : link
No one is gaslighting you. You littered the thread with a bunch of: at best difficult to connect statements, and at worst contradictory and inaccurate statements.

I get the sense no one cares about your opinion (I certainly don't). All anyone cares about is the accuracy of the information shared.

For local fans, who want access to all their local team games and out-of-market national NFL games, there is a solution that costs at a maximum $104/m.

Some of the upsides for many customers will be lower costs, more content, and the option to turn off services when they're not needed.

One of the downsides is a decentralized solution.
gotta be honest  
djm : 5/16/2024 3:13 pm : link
I have said far worse on other threads around here. Come off as a raging loon at times, but it's all in good fun and just me venting. This thread is tame in comparison and touches on such an open and shut case yet a few here are so defensive that they are pouring and parsing out my words....

People really love their streaming services. I will tread more carefully next time.
...  
christian : 5/16/2024 3:20 pm : link
I agree, you regularly embarrass yourself and make inaccurate statements. We make fun of you behind your back for it.
RE: ...  
djm : 5/16/2024 3:24 pm : link
In comment 16517118 christian said:
Quote:
I agree, you regularly embarrass yourself and make inaccurate statements. We make fun of you behind your back for it.


You're gonna keep going I see. Are you done?
and where  
djm : 5/16/2024 3:26 pm : link
are you making fun of posters? Some secret website? Or are you making fun of internet posters to your friends and family?

You can do better than that. Maybe when you remove the fire TV from your ass you will think more clearly.
...  
christian : 5/16/2024 3:52 pm : link
The special members portal in BBI opens up -- but only for posters who:

- can edit and consolidate their thoughts in a single posts
- have a loose understanding of the salary cap
- don't ramble, declare they're done, but still keep going

We sit around, stream games, and understand how to operate DVRs. It's awesome.
Humility is a rare quality on BBI  
joe48 : 5/17/2024 6:01 pm : link
Try it once in a while. It actually works quite nicely.
Pages: 1 2 3 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner